Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
pops #2445634 11/23/10 12:22 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by pops
hey melody,

i don't recall your situation.

can you refresh my memory?

do you have an oc?

No, I am a BS and my H did not have an OC..

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2445635 11/23/10 12:49 AM
P
P
""""""""" You cause harm to newcomers when you substitute your own personal opinion""""""""""""

again show me where i ever advised anyone to follow my choices.

"""""""""""No, I am a BS and my H did not have an OC..""""""""

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but no matter how hard you want to try and say they are the same when you add the oc to the A it changes the dynamics enormously

don't believe me? try walking in Eibrab's, FF's, Delean's or Lebelle's shoes

i don't see where asking a question qualifies as a lecture

and i love the little picture of you that you keep including. is that a lazy eye condition?

""""""""In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure."""""""

here's another shocker. not everyone can financially afford a move to another state.

also many courts will prevent that move once an OC is involved

again it's not black and white

***edit***

good night

Last edited by JustUss; 11/23/10 01:03 AM. Reason: tos attack

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
MelodyLane #2445636 11/23/10 01:00 AM
J
Administrator
Administrator
J
PLEASE!

Can we PLEASE stick to MarriageBuilders principles & concepts when offering suggestions and advice to newcomers? Or to those still struggling?

Newcomers are here to learn Dr Harley's MarriageBuilders Program. Members should not have to debate the advantages of following this path with other members that have used another road, distracting from the original new poster's situation.

Newbies have enough chaos & confusion in their life without adding more by offering conflicting advice.

JustUss

Administrator/Moderator
pops #2445637 11/23/10 01:06 AM
M
M
""""""""" You cause harm to newcomers when you substitute your own personal opinion""""""""""""

again show me where i ever advised anyone to follow my choices.

Do I need to post it again for you? I would be glad to do it.
Quote:while i agree that our choice is a "big harley no no" i disagree that with contact there can ever be "nc for life"<snip>

i will say that i (as has anyone else who has dealt with this) has had more "real" life experience with our situation then the harleys

Quote:"""""""""""""And don't have to have one to know that there needs to be NC with the OP."""""""""""""

road that's the type of myopic arrogance that does no one any good.

You posted on a newcomers thread telling her nc was not essential and even chastised other members as having "myopic arrogance" for posting a very basic MB concept.

"""""""""""No, I am a BS and my H did not have an OC..""""""""

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but no matter how hard you want to try and say they are the same when you add the oc to the A it changes the dynamics enormously

I agree. But you and I both know you don't understand the first thing about those dynamics because you don't understand how dangerous contact is to your marriage. Instead of taking less risks, you take more. The result is an unrecovered marriage that is at risk of a resumed affair. A marriage that is on the verge of separation, btw.

""""""""In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure."""""""

here's another shocker. not everyone can financially afford a move to another state.

also many courts will prevent that move once an OC is involved

again it's not black and white

Oh yes it certainly is. Did you listen to Dr Harley's radio show today? He is very black and white when it comes to ending all contact with the affair partner in OC situations. You are grey, he is black and white. Shall we compare your track records? smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

pops #2445641 11/23/10 04:16 AM
T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
pops

I don't remember on which post it was. What I remember was that you and your WW where in a low spot. WW was tired of dealing with the OM. Tired enough that her being dragged down was dragging you with her.

Enough to make you anwser my question that if you could do it over now you would of went NC with the OM to avoid having to deal with the OM now.

I wish I could find that post now.

pops #2445643 11/23/10 04:23 AM
T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
pops

Your OC is 9 and would appreciate how she has learnt about the OM being her dad, what she has learnt, how she has reacted to you not being her dad while you where still married to her mom prior to her conception.

How old when did she found out?

At what age did visitation start with OM?

As a 9 year old does OC understand what an affair is, what her mom and OM did to you?

Does she ever need to discuss the situation?

What is her take on the situation?

Last edited by TheRoad; 11/23/10 04:25 AM.
MelodyLane #2445676 11/23/10 08:42 AM
E
E
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Eibrab
I simply cannot fathom telling my son that he cannot play a sport in this community because the MOW's son might try out for that team. I'm truly not certain how you can even say that this behavior means that I condone what has happened.

You are kidding, right? Have you not thought through the logical conclusion of such sloppy boundaries for your children? crazy Lets say your son is on the same team as the OW's son? What would that lead to? Obviously that would mean YOU and your H would end up in the same stands as the OW, which would be a breach of nc. So of course you would tell your son he cannot play on a team where the OW's child is involved unless there is an arrangement to keep the OW away, which is unrealistic.

Eirab, a child's sport game is of minor importance when compared to the health of your marriage. You don't sacrifice the health of your marriage for a child's sport. Any contact with the OW - from either you or your H - is harmful and risky to your marriage. It is in your child's best interest to have an intact family with happily married parents. Why would you take such risks?

It seems to me that since your H's affair produced an OC, that you would take more care to protect your marriage. But it seems from this that you actually take LESS. That is asonishing to me.

ML..

Respectfully, you are suggesting that my children pay the price for a deed their father chose to do. No one has ever walked up to MOW and greeted her.

No, it isn't rocket science. It's a small town, and I will not allow my children to wear a badge of shame over something their father did.

A teenage boy's sport may be of small importance to you, but to him..it is the world.

Dignity comes into play here..trust me..it seems as if attending these things is harder on my H as he feels the shame of everyone knowing. Oh, and the more we "came out" of the hiding that you suggest we should have maintained..the more the MOW went in. Now, she isn't ever seen in public.

This is my world, too.. not just the world of those that did this.

I believe in MB and the NC, but I do not believe that NC means we hide.

I do appreciate your opinions,
Eibrab

Eibrab #2445678 11/23/10 08:54 AM
M
M
[Respectfully, you are suggesting that my children pay the price for a deed their father chose to do. No one has ever walked up to MOW and greeted her.

Eibrab, your children will pay a much bigger price if they are not protected from that risk.
A teenage boy's sport may be of small importance to you, but to him..it is the world.

His parent's marriage is "the world." A divorce would rock his world; missing a sport would soon be forgotten. We have had many kids, even teenagers, have to drop out of sports for this very reason. It didn't hurt them. But what would have hurt them is if their parents had divorced over a resumed affair. That is just a foolish risk, eibrab.

For those of you who don't understand the risks of no contact, please take the time to listen to Dr Harley's radio show from yesterday. It will rebroadcast until 1:00 cst today and then you can get it from archives. He discusses this very issue of contact with the OP when there an OC involved.

Some of Dr Harley's quotes about the importance of no contact:
In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure.

<snip>

We don't know if R.J. still sees his lover, but he says he has broken off all contact. In many cases where a person is still in town, that's hard to prove. But one thing's for sure, if he ever does see his lover, it will put him in a state of perpetual withdrawal from his addiction, and make the resolution of his marriage essentially impossible. In fact, one of the reasons he is not recovering after three months of separation may be that he is not being truthful about the separation.

Entire article here

How to Survive an Affair chapter in HIS NEEDS, HER NEEDS
p. 177

...I have seen husbands build new and wonderful relationships with their wives but then go back to their lovers after five or six years of what appeared to be marital bliss. When I ask them why, they inevitably tell me they miss the woman terribly and still love her. At the same time they stoutly affirm they love their wives dearly and would not think of leaving them.

I believe a man like this has told the truth. He is hopelessly entangled and needs all the help possible to be kept away from his lover and stay faithful to his wife. I often recommend that a man once involved in an affair come in to see me every three to six months on an indefinite basis, just to talk about how things are going and to let me know how successfully he has stayed away from his lover. He must resign himself to a lifetime without her. HE MUST CERTAINLY NOT WORK WITH HIS FORMER LOVER AND SHOULD PROBABLY LIVE IN SOME OTHER CITY OR STATE. Even with those restrictions the desire for her company persists...

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2445679 11/23/10 08:56 AM
M
M
If anyone is interested, here is the radio show link where Dr Harley discusses NC with an OP when there is an OC - after 11-23 it can be found in the 11-22-10 archives: here. Folks need to know that Dr Harley is VERY black and white about this issue. There are no fuzzy gray areas when it comes to no contact.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2445778 11/23/10 02:20 PM
E
E
[Respectfully, you are suggesting that my children pay the price for a deed their father chose to do. No one has ever walked up to MOW and greeted her.

Eibrab, your children will pay a much bigger price if they are not protected from that risk.

His parent's marriage is "the world." A divorce would rock his world; missing a sport would soon be forgotten. We have had many kids, even teenagers, have to drop out of sports for this very reason. It didn't hurt them. But what would have hurt them is if their parents had divorced over a resumed affair. That is just a foolish risk, eibrab.

Not to me. I now have a freshman student playing a varsity sport, who works hard to maintained a 4.8 gpa so that he can be a scholarship recipient.

ML, THAT's his life...not running from his father's bad judgement.

I have explained to you that my COM have no dealing with the XMOW. But, I will not ask them to hide or hinder their lives out of fear of running into her. If they do run into her, they can keep on running..just not OVER her, lol.

I asked an 82 year old respected priest once how I should handle a chance meeting with XMOW. He told me that very same thing... keep on walking, you don't owe her a thing "don't say hi, but don't slap her either." smile

I can't imagine saying to my teenage COM..we can't go there, because if we do and we see XMOW or dad should see XMOW, well that means he's going to leave us again...

Guess what? He can go. E doesn't put her kids dreams in the toilet because their father put his fantasies somewhere else.

I've done alot wrong..and in coming here and sharing what has worked and has not, I may help someone from making the same mistake.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but to say I am foolish doesn't hold much credence in this category. That said, I respect your opinion and will leave it at that.

Eibrab

Eibrab #2445800 11/23/10 03:05 PM
M
M
[I asked an 82 year old respected priest once how I should handle a chance meeting with XMOW. He told me that very same thing... keep on walking, you don't owe her a thing "don't say hi, but don't slap her either."

BUT....you didn't consult a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in such situations; one who has a 40 year track record of saving 1000's of marriages. frown And that is the problem. We have seen affairs take off time and time again because no contact was not observed. And it is your life to ruin, Eirab, that is your right. You have every right to take foolish risks with your marriage.

I've done alot wrong..and in coming here and sharing what has worked and has not, I may help someone from making the same mistake.

Just as long as you don't peddle your own dangerous views about no contact to newcomers here at Marriage Builders. People come here to learn about Marriage Builders, not our own risky personal philosophies. We have to remember that this forum is for Marriage Builders. Sugarcane put it best yesterday to another poster over on SAA:

Originally Posted by Sugarcane
Your thoughts and feelings are NOT what you should be offering a poster whose marriage is in crsis, and in particular, a poster new to MB. A new poster especially needs ONE set of clear guidelines based on Dr Harley's instructions, not a selection of various thoughts and feelings from among which confusion they are left pick a course of action.

Dr Harley has experience of successfully coaching couples to overcome an affair and rebuild their marriages. You do not have his training, experience and track record. You should not be giving your personal advice on a thread seeking MB help after an affair. Your thoughts and feeling MIGHT WELL be wrong.

Dr Harley's vast experience leads him to advise NC after an affair, without exceptions. If you offer a poster advice that suggests any kind of contact then you are wrong to do so.

You are free to follow your own thoughts and feelings in your own marriage, should it ever fall victim to a affair, but you are WRONG to post your thoughts and feelings to someone here in marital crisis, if these thoughts go against Dr Harley's tried and tested advice. This board exists to help us apply Dr Harley's advice to the situations presented here. He is the marriage expert that people come here to learn from.

This post probably isn't the gentle reprimand that you would like, but it is intended to help you understand that new posters are harmed by conflicting opinions when they need clear guidance. This isn't just a forum to talk about marriages; this is Dr Harley's Marriage Builders forum.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2445811 11/23/10 03:57 PM
E
E
Can you explain to me where you are coming up with all this C? And did you miss the part where I stated that I sought counsel?

If I sit my high school freshman son down tonight after his basketball scrimmage and explain to him that he must drop out of public high school and leave this team that he earned a spot on tonight to become home schooled and that he cannot participate in any recreational activities for fear of XMOW and/or her children may be in the same 300 foot gym... oh and my daughter, who is in her first year of an academic scholarship to a public university not far from here, that she must drop out because there is a state highway that runs by the college and XMOW or her family may be driving down that highway someday..

Will you then stop calling me foolish?

Btw, to all.. I realize that the above paragraph may hold the record here at MB for a run-on sentence.. I apologize.

ML, I choose to live.

What other aspects of OC life interest you? I'd be happy to answer any questions because you have not lived this..I know it can be confusing. Just please be respectful and stop calling me foolish.

The lesson I choose to represent, which in no way, contradict's any MB teaching is a simple one. You can make it through this. You will survive. I am not advocating anything else.

Eibrab

Eibrab #2445820 11/23/10 04:25 PM
F
F
E,

I don't believe at this point ML is saying you need to change what you are doing. I believe from reading this exchange that she is asking that you, pops, myself and anyone else with C continue to advise people HERE on MB that NC is the right path to healing your M after an A.

I would not visit my messy life upon anyone, not even my worst enemy. I don't post here as often as I used to however I do maintain that Dr. H is absolutely correct that NC is the best way. Your stubborn H and mine left us with little choice in the matter. It was either break up the homes of our COM or live with someone else's rotten choices.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Eibrab #2445833 11/23/10 04:44 PM
M
M
Can you explain to me where you are coming up with all this C? And did you miss the part where I stated that I sought counsel?
\
The lesson I choose to represent, which in no way, contradict's any MB teaching is a simple one. You can make it through this. You will survive. I am not advocating anything else.

Yes, actually you did contradict MB when you said this:

�So, in short, I am a NC believer who has C. In the end, it is messy for me personally, but I do feel that I have come out of this with more dignity than if I would have turned and ran.�

you posted this on the thread of a newcomer who came here seeking Marriage Builders advice:

Originally Posted by Eirab
Sometimes C is the option that has to be taken. The reasons are many. It is not right for all..it is not easy.

What do you say to a child who wants to know why mommy cannot ever even say hi to daddy..or stands on the opposite sides of the room at a school play?

NC for affair partners is truly the only option that seems logical. But when you've screwed up and brought a kid into the measure..how do you think this effects that child? Seems to me that this is how personality disorders are developed. At some point, the resulting child has to be considered, event hough I place no more importance on the child than those affected.

Reading a book does not make you an expert.

And then a moderator came on the thread and asked the posters to stick to Marriage Builders. And I did not call YOU foolish, but rather your advice that contact is sometimes ok. It is not ok and that is a foolish, risky path that can't be defended.

Anyway, I would just point you to the thread at the top of this forum about sticking to Marriage Builders principles if you are going to post here. Other posters should not have to spend their time debating bad advice when newcomers come here for help.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by faithful follower
E I believe from reading this exchange that she is asking that you, pops, myself and anyone else with C continue to advise people HERE on MB that NC is the right path to healing your M after an A.

Exactly! Newcomers come here to get Marriage Builders advice. I well know that people play chicken and survive, but is it wise to tell others that playing chicken is a good thing?? Of course not! It is irresponsible.

Exposure 101

Eibrab #2445838 11/23/10 04:52 PM
M
M
What other aspects of OC life interest you? I'd be happy to answer any questions because you have not lived this..I know it can be confusing. Just please be respectful and stop calling me foolish.

Eirab, the fact that I or Dr Harley "has not lived this" does not mean that Dr Harley is wrong about maintaining no contact. He is ADAMANT about no contact and has saved many marriages over his career. He is a professional with a long successful track record and you are not in any position to dispute his tried and true advice. In fact, if you want to know how it is done correctly, I would strongly suggest you go download his radio segment from yesterday, 11-22 on this very subject.

I cannot begin to count the affairs that resumed over and over again from ignoring this step. Why you would advise anyone to follow that path is beyond my comprehension. crazy

But the bottom line is that what is posted on the thread at the top of this forum: stick to Marriage Builders concepts when you post to others or refrain from posting.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2445847 11/23/10 05:08 PM
E
E
ML..

If you read the quote from me that you copied and pasted, it distinctly says that I am a NC believer who has C.

I have not ever advocated C in any way.

You have waged this personal agenda to show me that I have C because I live in the same community as my H's OW.

At what point are you coming up with my advice to play chicken?

Because I didn't run?

ML, I have a feeling that you have a personal need to always be right. It is not my intention to prove you wrong here.

It is my sole intention to show anyone out there suffering that you can survive this and you do not have to hide in a hole for the rest of your life because of it.

What's that line in "Elf" ? "Go ahead and call me an elf one more time, my friend ".. lol, go ahead and keep calling me foolish if it makes you feel better.

Respectfully,

Eibrab

MelodyLane #2445850 11/23/10 05:13 PM
E
E

Eirab, the fact that I or Dr Harley "has not lived this" does not mean that Dr Harley is wrong about maintaining no contact. He is ADAMANT about no contact and has saved many marriages over his career. He is a professional with a long successful track record and you are not in any position to dispute his tried and true advice. In fact, if you want to know how it is done correctly, I would strongly suggest you go download his radio segment from yesterday, 11-22 on this very subject.

I cannot begin to count the affairs that resumed over and over again from ignoring this step. Why you would advise anyone to follow that path is beyond my comprehension. crazy

But the bottom line is that what is posted on the thread at the top of this forum: stick to Marriage Builders concepts when you post to others or refrain from posting.

Oh for pete�s sake Melody Lane? Where are you getting that I am advising C?

Will you please stop this ?

I am going to try and refrain from posting to you anymore because I think you are intent on twisting my words. Odd..

Foolishly,

Eibrab smile

Eibrab #2445851 11/23/10 05:17 PM
M
M
ML..

If you read the quote from me that you copied and pasted, it distinctly says that I am a NC believer who has C.

I have not ever advocated C in any way.

Actually you did. You posted this to a newcomer on our board:

Sometimes C is the option that has to be taken. The reasons are many. It is not right for all..it is not easy.

S
You have waged this personal agenda to show me that I have C because I live in the same community as my H's OW.

At what point are you coming up with my advice to play chicken?

Because I didn't run?

ML, I have a feeling that you have a personal need to always be right. It is not my intention to prove you wrong here.

It is my sole intention to show anyone out there suffering that you can survive this and you do not have to hide in a hole for the rest of your life because of it.

What's that line in "Elf" ? "Go ahead and call me an elf one more time, my friend ".. lol, go ahead and keep calling me foolish if it makes you feel better.

Respectfully,

Eibrab

Eirab, I have already proven you wrong. I don't have a need to be right, I am right about no contact. Anyone who says that a little contact is right is simply.......wrong. And you can't defend it. I have been on this board for 10 years and have seen untold affairs start up again from ignoring Dr Harley's advice about nc. So why would you advise newcomers to ignore that sound advice? Because you have a vested interest in ignoring no contact?

And yes, I do have an agenda. My agenda is to help people save their marriages using Marriage Builders concepts. My agenda is to stop you from using Dr Harley's board to mislead newcomers with risky, foolish advice. If you aren't going to help newcomers learn Marriage Builders, then you might want to do what the moderators said and that is refrain from posting to newcomers.

Exposure 101

Eibrab #2445853 11/23/10 05:22 PM
M
M
Oh for pete�s sake Melody Lane? Where are you getting that I am advising C?

Here is what you posted to a newcomer on this forum:

Originally Posted By: TheRoad
No.

And don't have to have one to know that there needs to be NC with the OP.

Originally Posted by Eirab

What do you say to a child who wants to know why mommy cannot ever even say hi to daddy..or stands on the opposite sides of the room at a school play?

NC for affair partners is truly the only option that seems logical. But when you've screwed up and brought a kid into the measure..how do you think this effects that child? Seems to me that this is how personality disorders are developed. At some point, the resulting child has to be considered, event hough I place no more importance on the child than those affected.

Reading a book does not make you an expert.
here

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation