Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
E
Originally Posted by ammc
Actually the ones that I have dated a little bit were in committed relationships not ever married. But they still managed to come out of it damaged. EE, I was in a really bad marriage and I probably should have come out of it a bitter man hater. But it is just not in my nature. I tend to be a giver and never expect enough in return. It made it very easy for my exh to take advantage and I am trying to not go down that path again.

"I think you find the one to whom you want to give AND will give as well."

ah...I am looking...where is he?...lol..hopefully a higher power will step in and help me out a little. Maybe I need to start wearing my mini skirt and heels to the grocery store from now on.

"So you can thank many of your sisters for turning the majority of divorced men into very nervous and hurt creatures."

oh boy......:)

You can roll your eyes or not smile

Even Dr Harley says that most of the women he knows of who are leaving their husbands are leaving men who are not abusive, addicted, nor adulterous. He says he is typically unable to convince such women to leave their husbands.

If the majority of divorced men were indeed left as Dr Harley suggests, I think my comment stands to reason.

That doesn't discount your experience. However, anecdotes don't make it true for everyone. Dr Harley sees thousands, you have one ex-husband. Therefore, I think his observations better describe the overall climate, while yours can accurately describe only your former marriage.

A
ammc Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks SW....I definately have been on a mission to make myself the best me I can. Inside and out. Hopefully there is someone out there who will appreciate it. At least I can have fun shopping for clothes again...lol.

EE...While I definately see there are alot of cheating horrible women out there...I think there are just as many men like that too. Maybe that's why I love my pets. A little food, kindness, and shelter and you have their love and loyalty forever. So simple....

me-36
exh-35 bipolar/addiction issues
2 DS
Married 9 yrs / Separated Aug 08 / Divorced since July 2009
Trying to put my life back together......
T
T
A little food, kindness, and shelter and you have their love and loyalty forever. So simple....

Lol, it's not that much more complicated with guys. Trust me!

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
A
A
Maybe that's why I love my pets. A little food, kindness, and shelter and you have their love and loyalty forever. So simple....

This is funny smile. It reminds me of a group hike that my wife and I just went on. It was a group of some 30-40 people (none of them our friends), and as we walked, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between 3-4 women, who were somewhere in the 35-45 y.o. range. It was easy to gather that all but one were divorced, and the last one was in a marriage that she said she was giving 4 more months to "work". I put the word "work" in quotes because it came out pretty quickly that she was seeing someone already, and described how great he was in bed, much to the approval of the other women dontknow.

What I found interesting was as the hike went on, other women kept circulating in and out of that little clique, and without fail chimed right in as to how annoying/difficult/PITA/complex/unpredictable men are. It was like an outing of the man-hater-hikers club, I kid you not. But the funny thing is that after complaining left and right about how men are either too distant or too clingy, too independent or too needy, etc, they ended up saying that men should be like pets - there when you need/want them, and gone when you don't. My wife and I rolled our eyes and decided that there was an obvious reason why all these women were divorced. Not once did any of them question how THEY behaved as partners, it was all about those annoying men.

It is indeed sad that some wo/men think that their mates should be like pets (I'm not saying that your line above is serious about that, I just found it amusing given my recent experience). I wonder where people pick up that that is how a relationship should be, perhaps too many reality TV shows.

AGG

K
K
hile I definately see there are alot of cheating horrible women out there...I think there are just as many men like that too.
Sure there are, I've been married to them! LOL That's why I got a dog too...much better return...

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
A
ammc Offline OP
OP Offline
A
tcc

lol...maybe I need to freshen up on my cooking skills then.

AGG

yeah, I hear women have conversations like that too..lol and then they wonder why. Sometimes it's just the way women are when we get in a pack....we just like to complain...

kcspr

Dogs are certainly simple to figure out. Much more reasonable than humans. I just find men to be so complicated. They like the idea of something but when they come across it they run like h*ll.

me-36
2 DS
S
S
Originally Posted by tccoastguard
A little food, kindness, and shelter and you have their love and loyalty forever. So simple....

Lol, it's not that much more complicated with guys. Trust me!

Or women! I am just not that hard to please.

M
M
I just caught up reading the whole thread. Ditto, I had a dog too, he was perfect..., he was so happy to see me everyday, whether I had a mini skirt or P.J., he would not secretly look for younger women online behind my back, he never had addiction issues.

OK, he was a messy eater/drinker, but that is how my XH was too wink

A
A
Originally Posted by milkshake
Ditto, I had a dog too, he was perfect..., he was so happy to see me everyday, whether I had a mini skirt or P.J., he would not secretly look for younger women online behind my back, he never had addiction issues.

I can't tell if this was said tongue in cheek, but I once dated a woman who had a dog and who wanted "nothing more" than for me to look at her with the same loving eyes as her dog did. I didn't know how to tell her that people are a bit more complex than dogs, and won't automatically look lovingly at someone just because she gives them food and takes them for a walk...

I dunno, but I think that when people say they want their partner to act like their pet does, they are gonna have problems in their relationships laugh.

AGG

M
M
Hi AGG! No, I don't think we actually 'want' men to ack like dogs...;) But dogs give unconditional love, that is very comforting to those women who were betrayed by their loved ones.

A
A
Originally Posted by milkshake
Hi AGG! No, I don't think we actually 'want' men to ack like dogs...;) But dogs give unconditional love, that is very comforting to those women who were betrayed by their loved ones.

That's the issue, milkshake. Harley makes it very clear that romantic love is not unconditional, and those folks looking or hoping for it (like they get from their dogs or parents) are not being realistic. It's not what Hollywood teaches you, but I believe Harley more than I believe Hollywood (despite my geographical proximity to the latter smile ).

AGG

T
T
Love from parents or pets isn't unconditional either. Needs still need to be met, if you stop feeding your dog and beat it, it won't love you anymore. If you do something that shakes the core of your parent's morality, they may not love you anymore either. Love as a concept cannot be unconditional. Ever. /thread jack.

Travis

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
A
A
Originally Posted by tccoastguard
Love from parents or pets isn't unconditional either. Needs still need to be met, if you stop feeding your dog and beat it, it won't love you anymore. If you do something that shakes the core of your parent's morality, they may not love you anymore either. Love as a concept cannot be unconditional. Ever. /thread jack.

Travis

I dunno.. sad as it may be, I do think that even if you beat your dog, he'll try to ingratiate himself with you (to a point, I suppose). And I think most parents love their kids even if they end up being serial killers. They may be disappointed in them, but it's not like they stop loving them.

Regardless, the point I am trying to emphasize is that romantic love is at least, shall we say, much more conditional than with pets, parents, or what's portrayed in movies. I think that is one of the most imnportant principles in Marriage Builders, because it goes against the Disney/Hollywood message that love is unconditional, that so many kids unfortunately grow up believing...

AGG

A
ammc Offline OP
OP Offline
A

Thanks for the responses.

LOL this whole dog thing has really gone off on a tangent.

I am not looking for a man that will look at me like my dog. Nor do I believe in unconditional love....i am having a hard enough time just believing in romantic love at all these days. Maybe the reference to a pet is that you can count on it's affection and love in good times and in bad. It doesn't really have an agenda. There is no fear of being hurt and the more love you put in, you get right back.

People relationships are so much more complicated frown I have a big heart and I leave it open to getting hurt all the time. That is my problem to deal with. I need to toughen up and get some thicker skin for this whole dating world.

As the new year approaches I think I am going to start focusing a little bit in a different direction. I am going to stop looking for that missing piece in my life. I have family and I have friends who love me. That just needs to be enough at this point. I am going to stop longing for something that just isn't out there.

I had been dating a guy for a little while this summer. We had talked about snowboarding and skiing together this winter. I love skiing and have wanted to get back into it. That was going to be the way I intoduced him to my 2 kids. I thought it would be a fun cool way for everyone to meet. Things didn't work out frown Shocker... but I decided that it wouldn't keep me from getting back into it. I bought new gear and my kids are getting snowboard/skis for christmas this year. We are planning to
hit the slopes this season. The 3 of us and I am really fine with that. I know we'll have a great time. No man necessary smile

me-36
2 DS
K
K
Interestingly enough, in the Bible, God uses the dog analogy for how He wants us to love HIM! Dogs do love pretty wonderfully. smile

P
P
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
Interestingly enough, in the Bible, God uses the dog analogy for how He wants us to love HIM! Dogs do love pretty wonderfully. smile

Where? Dogs in the Bible are treated as revolting, unclean creatures. Man elevates the dog to a status reserved for the lowly sparrow.

5 sparrows are sold for but a penny, yet they make their home in the temple and bring their young to the altar of the Lord.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
K
K
Worship is "proskuneo" in the New Testament. It is derived from two words "pros" and "koun". "Pros" means toward. "Koun" means dog.

If you google it on line, you will find a lot of references where this has been expounded on from the Greek word proskuneo.

http://www.eattheword.com/wstudy/GW/proskuneo.htm

E
E
is a reasonable woman!

One who doesn't expect fireworks on the first date, and if she doesn't get them assumes that nothing will ever work out.

One who hasn't been so damaged by past experiences that every imperfection I have is seen through glasses that turn them into felony vices.

One who values a man who is fair, nice, loving, reliable and never quite grew up.

M
M
Merry Christmas everyone!

F
F
[Linked Image from gifmix.net]
Same here!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation