Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
OP Offline
V
As the subject suggests, I'm looking for some personal insight into antidepressants and experiences with women's hormone fluctuations/PMS.

With increasing predictability and severity over the last year or so, I seem to have come down with some raging PMS. For about two weeks, I'll vascillate between utterly depressed and beyond pi$$y - two weeks that lead up to and include my monthly cycle. (Sorry if this is TMI. And maybe I'm incorrectly associating two unrelated things, the cycle having nothing to do with the crazy emotion stuff.)

The other two weeks I'm more even-keeled, though certainly not happy and carefree. (Hm, though call me crazy if that part isn't somehow related to my infidelity...)

I'm not sure how to cope with the depression, the intense feelings of failure, and the lack of motivation/desire to do anything about it. Right now, indulgences help - getting coffee, eating junk food, reading purely for enjoyment - but those don't fix the underlying problem.

Is there a problem? Can anyone share personal experiences with antidepressants, hormones, or anything else they think is relevant?

I'm overwhelmed and I just don't care.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
K
K
Lots of women have the issue, maybe talk to your doctor?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
V
OP Offline
V
Not sure yet if my insurance covers a random office visit, so figured I'd post here while I got the insurance thing figured out - especially given the crowd and the possibility there may be those who've experienced this in the context of infidelity.

Maybe I just need to be sure I'm on some kind of Lifetime Chocolate Plan...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
W
W
The chocolate doesn't work. Well, it works temporarily, until you look in the mirror and see how big your butt's getting, and then you get even more depressed.

I wish I could offer some advice. I'm kind of in the same boat. I know I'm depressed because, well, a lot of really depressing things have happened/are happening in my life. But I just can't afford to go to the doctor and do anything about it.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
No personal experience here...lol

But maybe some sun (the most reliable source) or, at least, a vitamin D supplement.

Here's an interesting article:

Vitamin D and Menopause

Want more research...google "vitamin d council" for links to just about every article and research material on the subject.

Have you had your blood levels checked for Vitamin D???

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by writer1
The chocolate doesn't work. Well, it works temporarily, until you look in the mirror and see how big your butt's getting, and then you get even more depressed.

GAH, my self-medicating with chocolate is nothing more than feeding a vicious cycle! faint

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by MrWondering
No personal experience here...lol

But maybe some sun (the most reliable source) or, at least, a vitamin D supplement.

Here's an interesting article:

Vitamin D and Menopause

Want more research...google "vitamin d council" for links to just about every article and research material on the subject.

Have you had your blood levels checked for Vitamin D???

Mr. Wondering

Interesting you bring that up, Mr. W. I think diet may play some role. My diet is prrrretty bad, but I was hoping my trusty multivitamin would take care of any "real" problems. Right? Maybe not?

I will read up a bit on vitamin D deficiencies... Thank you for the suggestion!

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
writer, I wanted to add: are you sad, or are you depressed? I think someone on here actually said something like you don't get un-depressed just by thinking happy thoughts. Which I totally get. In my own world of self-diagnosis, that is. smile

Regardless of being sad or depressed, have you tried lifestyle modifications? Diet, sleep, exercise? Actually, let me put that in my own idea of order of importance: Exercise, diet, sleep?

Maybe it's a start, especially if many of the depression-triggering events are outside of your control. Actually, regardless of whether they're in your control or not.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
M
M
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
Regardless of being sad or depressed, have you tried lifestyle modifications? Diet, sleep, exercise? Actually, let me put that in my own idea of order of importance: Exercise, diet, sleep?

MrsVanilla, I dealt with depression most of my life until I made 2 key changes. I started taking Omega 3 and cut out all sugar in my diet. When I slack off on either, I notice a difference within a couple of days. I take 2 1000 mg omega 3 pills a day. This has effectively eliminated my depression for the 12 years I have done this.

Also, my doctor did test me for Vitamin D levels and found that to be low. He has me take 50,000 IU a week. Like MrW said, many people are deficient and it can really affect your health.

There are lots of studies that show that Omega 3 eliminates depression and that sugar can cause depression. I discovered this years after I made these changes.

Your mileage may vary, but that is something that worked wonders for me.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
I used to get bad pms about two weeks prior and have found that taking Vitaming B (6, 12) helped but you have to take it consistently. I also agree with Mel on your diet. Caffeine can add to pissy moods. Journal your eating patterns for a couple of months - make changes and continue to journal to figure out the patterns leading upto period.

G

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
V
OP Offline
V
Aw, y'all are giving me hope!

Mel, I used to take omega 3 quite regularly, but have stopped over the last couple of years. I think I will add that in w/ my multivitamin. Did you start noticing an improvement right away? And did you notice any seeming correlation with depression and your menstrual cycle?

gg, it's interesting you bring up the caffeine. I've actually increased my caffeine consumption quite a bit over the last few months. How much vitamin B(s) do you take?

Looks like closer attention to my dietary intake is in order, and some blood work at the doctor's...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
M
M
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
Aw, y'all are giving me hope!

Mel, I used to take omega 3 quite regularly, but have stopped over the last couple of years. I think I will add that in w/ my multivitamin. Did you start noticing an improvement right away? And did you notice any seeming correlation with depression and your menstrual cycle?

I just thought of something. When I was younger I wasn't extra depressed in the 2 weeks before, but extra intense and very emotional. I read an article back then that PMS can cause water rentention that puts pressure on the brain stem. I took a few water pills for a few years during that time and it made an amazing difference. As I grew older this lessened considerably.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I just thought of something. When I was younger I wasn't extra depressed in the 2 weeks before, but extra intense and very emotional. I read an article back then that PMS can cause water rentention that puts pressure on the brain stem.

Isn't it lovely what our bodies can do to us? smile The water-retaining sea cow bit was probably my favorite until the emotional wackiness kicked in...

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I took a few water pills for a few years during that time and it made an amazing difference.

Water pills? Could you add a little more information to this? I'm not familiar with them.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
S
S
You have been getting great tips. A couple more things:
During that time of month, are you sure you are well hydrated?

Also have you ever tried exercise to see if it helps?

My H and I both are firm believers in exercise, that it helps tremendously with mood/stress...and PMS for me and depression for him.

I am pretty sure they have done study/s that have shown groups of people who exercise have the same/better benefit than those on ADs. Google it, hopefully it will pop up.

Overall, I believe that exercise/diet work hand in hand for overall health (and we do take supplements, eat pretty healthfully), but my experience has been when I exercise, the other stuff falls into place ~ I drink more water, remember to take my vitamins, and sleep and eat better. But it doesn't seem to work the other way around!

Last edited by SusieQ; 12/19/10 07:15 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Originally Posted by SusieQ
I am pretty sure they have done study/s that have shown groups of people who exercise have the same/better benefit than those on ADs. Google it, hopefully it will pop up.

I believe this. I got dramatically better results from natural changes compared to ADs. Exercise is a great suggestion.

MrsV, water pills are intended to resolve the water retention that comes with PMS. They have to be prescribed by your doctor. It is water retention that can contribute to PMS. Keep in mind that what worked for me might not work for you. It is highly individual.

Exposure 101

M
M
Mrs. V, I agree with the rest that just good solid basics can work wonders and it's absolutely where you have to start:

1) Lots of good food and no junk. Maybe a dessert once in a while if you are feeling well, but only AFTER the good food.

2) Supplement with vitamins and minerals.

3) Exercise and plenty of it - walking, at least, out in the fresh air (even if it's cold) and get a little sunlight.

Also: Have you had your thyroid levels checked? It's just part of the blood test and if you need supplementation, the meds are very inexpensive ($4.00 a month where I live, from Wal-Mart). Correcting thyroid levels can make you feel a whole lot better, too.

Once the basics are straightened out, you may not need as much (or any) of the AD. And no, you cannot eat poorly and live poorly and then hope a med or a vitamin tablet will make up for it. Things don't work that way!

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
H
H
Originally Posted by Mulan
Mrs. V, I agree with the rest that just good solid basics can work wonders and it's absolutely where you have to start:

1) Lots of good food and no junk. Maybe a dessert once in a while if you are feeling well, but only AFTER the good food.

Do a quick google search for "superfoods," and from there, recipes to integrate them. Doing this will help meet part 2 of Mulan's post. Beware extinction burst when changing your eating habits.

One strategy is to allow yourself a "reward" day once a week where you can have your dessert of favorite "naughty" food.

My step brother used this strategy, and lost 220lbs.

Just remember to not let that habit leak outside of your "reward" day, and eventually plan to phase that from once a week, to once every other week, to once a month, then to... holidays and special occasions within reason.

2) Supplement with vitamins and minerals.

I've been pouring over scientific journals published in the past 3 years, the two vitamins that seem to be coming up the most in the treatment of depression are folic acid and Vitamin D.

I have personally been using a Super B complex, but from what I've read in the scientific journals, B complex turns up the same results as placebos in controlled studies, whereas the folic acid and vitamin D perform a little better. However, I do have better energy with the supplements.

3) Exercise and plenty of it - walking, at least, out in the fresh air (even if it's cold) and get a little sunlight.

Sunlight + skin = vitamin D. I have seen "light box" treatment for the elderly as a treatment for depression. Spot on.

Also: Have you had your thyroid levels checked? It's just part of the blood test and if you need supplementation, the meds are very inexpensive ($4.00 a month where I live, from Wal-Mart). Correcting thyroid levels can make you feel a whole lot better, too.
[quote=Mulan]And no, you cannot eat poorly and live poorly and then hope a med or a vitamin tablet will make up for it. Things don't work that way!

Specifically low thyroid levels contribute to depression, high contributes to anxiety. Very common ailment.

Hydration; I have a big 44oz take-back cup for fountain drinks... which I keep with me filled with water all day. Helps with energy and mood - water is an important component of metabolic processes, so peeing a lot to have energy, burn fat, and feel good is a small price to pay!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
T
I would caution you about jumping on antidepressants.

Just please investigate other avenues first, and then if all is exhausted, very cautiously look at antidepressants and make sure to educate yourself before you start taking them.

All I can say is that antidepressants have caused a whirlwind with me personally, and if I knew then what I know now I would have never started taking them in the first place.

I am sorry I don't feel comfortable sharing more, just be very cautious when it comes to altering the chemicals in your brain (which is what antidepressants do).

V
OP Offline
V
Okay, I am so glad you guys are all chiming in with good advice. Thank you!

Let me clarify a bit - my original post was misleading, (seeing as I was in the throes of hormones/depression), so I'll state FTR that I am usually very anti-medication. Very. However, the total onslaught of depression and crazy emotional stuff scared me, and I thought I should start considering medication.

So one thing I was looking for when I first posted were stories of those who have experience with antidepressants in order to learn a bit more about others' situations where they worked or didn't, side effects, etc.

I am all for lifestyle changes first, and you guys have given me a ton of things to jump on. Given your experiences, and what I intellectually know that I should be doing, it's now just the willpower to do it.

I've been skating by for years on a combination of youth, genetics, and plain old luck, and clearly that's not a good way to continue.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
During that time of month, are you sure you are well hydrated?

Absolutely something I need to work on. I consume far less than the recommended daily intake of water/fluids in general.

Also have you ever tried exercise to see if it helps?

I have heard and experienced firsthand the positive benefits of exercise on mood and overall lifestyle. I've actually been working out regularly (4-6x/week) for the last few months, though had not in the few days leading up to The Day of PMS Horror. I did work out the morning of, and during that was the only "level" mood I had all day.

Overall, I believe that exercise/diet work hand in hand for overall health (and we do take supplements, eat pretty healthfully), but my experience has been when I exercise, the other stuff falls into place ~ I drink more water, remember to take my vitamins, and sleep and eat better. But it doesn't seem to work the other way around!

So true! It's all interconnected. Now I just have to get on my game for all of it, not just the exercise part...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation