Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
L
Originally Posted by Daisy
Best way to convey a primal scream in text form? I'm still working on that one myself. I think I've come close,...but it's still missing that certain something,...that guttural edge it requires. If you figure it out, please pass it on!
I have one but after the post is filtered it would just say...

[censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]!

BW 46
XWH 46
Boys 17 & 19
Girls 16 & 10
D-day #1 12/2006 (confessed affair in 2004 w/BF & his wife)
D-day #2 10/2008 (denied by XWH)
D-day #3 10/2010
Kick WH out 01/2011 he files for D
D finally final 03/2012
I'm free!
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks all of you for the comments about exposing the OW at work.

It gives me a lot of food for thought...

@jmwc95

Thanks for giving me some perspective. I get what you are saying. I see so many people here who are enduring an ongoing A. All of you are angels, and the fight that you are in is demoralizing, and yet you hang on, I am in awe of you.

Perhaps the fact that he is remorseful and begging to stay gives me the option to be so F)(*%ing pissed off and angry, and to keep pushing him away. I keep telling myself that it would be easier if he just did like my dad and ran off and married her (wouldn't that be punishment enough? I know better than anyone that the answer to that would be a Hell Yeah!).

But I know in my heart I am "lucky" to have the luxury (and burden) of a choice at this point. That's something my mom never got. None of us kids got a vote.

I also appreciate the assurance that you gave that my marriage can be better. That is nice to imagine in some far off time. I am glad that I am among friends who are supportive of and believers in such "wishful thinking," or a better word: hope.

I will work on not letting this anger consume me.

I think the problem I may be facing now is this cloud of numbness. This must be self-preservation at work. It hurts too bad to love, to feel.

@jessitaylor, Daisy, Mitzie

Thanks for your words. I can tell you have sadly been right where I am now. I'm so glad you take the time for someone just going through the fire.

I also appreciate this sort of "try and see" kind of attitude. You are right that this marriage "deserves a shot." And perhaps I should stop putting so much pressure on making a decision at this point.

Perhaps if you've read my H's thread, you'll see where that pressure is coming from. smile You know, let's get over it, I'm different as of a month ago, and let's play happy families!

No, but seriously :), I want to believe he is trying, and I appreciate those who are helping him, and calling him out on the B.S. I am LOVING that.

Also having actionable steps to take and a support group is what we need.

To all who wondered, the NC letter was sent (which she replied to in under 5 minutes, btw!). Hello, no contact?

I know.

She's a genius.

What did he see in her again?

ME, BS, 33
WH, 32
D-Day: 11/12/10 (H confessed)
PA: 9 months
Married: 8 years, 2 daughters, 3 & 6

S
OP Offline
S
Ok, I realize you are all going to be mad as hell that he texted her the NC.

I'll let him do the explaining on that one since this is his mess.

ME, BS, 33
WH, 32

M
M
Are you the type of person that holds grudges and doesn't let things go? If you are you need to work on that.

Not a bright one was she (responding to email)!

If (when) registered letter is sent, she might send you a postcard smile

BS/ME 47 Met on blind date
WH 46(Alcoholic,drugs?)
DS1:18 DS2:15
1st A EA9/07 PA10/07 NC11/07
2nd A EA/PA-10/2010
Found out- 11/20/2010
He moved out-1/1/2011 same apt.cmplx as OW(&her kids)
PlanB-1/1/11(broken)
NEW PB-2/11 Taking it one day at a time

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who say to God, "Thy will be done" and those to whom God says, "Alright then, have it your way." ~C .S.Lewis

S
S
Originally Posted by mitzie
Are you the type of person that holds grudges and doesn't let things go? If you are you need to work on that.
I just want to point out that it is almost like another dday each time OW contacts seriously's WH...which just happened again today...

I can say for myself once my H tried to established NC with OW and I found out she texted and called him again (it only happened one day) I was enraged all over again!

Last edited by SusieQ; 12/16/10 11:34 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
T
T
Just a last comment on exposure, having thought more about it.
I think exposure is an incredibly powerful tool and should be used to kill the A.
I have no problem with exposure in the workplace either. In my own case I sent an email to OW telling her to back off WH and I copied 28 of her work colleagues with it. If anyone is interested, a copy of the email is here
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2136942&page=66
on page 66 within quotes of a post from Neak (thanks again, Neak, you were great!)
As a result of this email, life became very difficult for her, her boss who I know well made her life a misery and although he did not fire her, she left shortly afterwards. I exposed widely before that too.

I suspect that exposure in my case actually strenghtened OWs desire to stay with WH. As my sister says, her hatred of me is probably as much a motivator as her love of him. No matter, ultimately the choice was WHs. Exposure, along with the other elements of the MB plans create the optimal conditions for the WS to come back and commit to the M but in the end it remains his choice.

However, I do make a distinction between exposure to end the A and exposure for purely revenge purposes. My own personal recovery has been best since I extracted myself from the A, its sordid details and have focused on myself and my children.
In March 2009 I discovered details of their A that could be very destructive of their life but I don't expose them because I am out of that situation.

The only thing I would say to seriously is that she should behave in a way that she would like to see her own daughter behave should she find herself in this situation.
That means being strong, loving and kind, taking strong action to defend her family and marriage. But it also means refusing to allow herself to be abused by anyone, even her husband, for the sake of anyone, even her children.
Ok, I realize you are all going to be mad as hell that he texted her the NC.
What the ...? This guy needs to cop on.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
M
M
Seriously,
What I meant by holding grudges is that eventually you have to let the anger go. EVENTUALLY. We have all known people who stay angry for years and years at another person, that is only self destructive behavior. The other person could care less if you're mad as h3ll at them and live their lives. That's all I meant.

One other thing to add to what TULLY said about the way we behave. We, as BS, are setting an example for our children they watch everything we do.

As we have learned in life, given the situations we on MB are in, there are no guarantees. Promises get broken, hearts get stomped on, families are torn apart. Sad, hurtful things happen. How we behave in such situations will impact them forever.

That's what'll get you through the tough times.

WH 46(Alcoholic,drugs?)
2nd A EA/PA-10/2010
Found out- 11/20/2010
PlanB-1/1/11(broken)

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who say to God, "Thy will be done" and those to whom God says, "Alright then, have it your way." ~C .S.Lewis

D
D
Originally Posted by seriously
I will work on not letting this anger consume me.

I think the problem I may be facing now is this cloud of numbness. This must be self-preservation at work. It hurts too bad to love, to feel.

Hi seriously. I just want to assure you that us BSs have all been there with anger, numbness, pain, disgust, sadness. Of course you don't want to feel this way forever, and you won't.

Time and the proper recovery plan will heal your wounds.

You're only a month past DDay. It's ok. This is a process. Nobody expects you to be Wonder Woman overnight. Don't expect that for yourself, either.

It's ok to feel -- whatever that emotion is.

It's important that you acknowledge your feelings BUT don't act on them. Instead, act according to a proven recovery plan. And there's none better than the MB recovery plan.

FBW in recovery
D
D
Originally Posted by tully
I think exposure is an incredibly powerful tool and should be used to kill the A.
I have no problem with exposure in the workplace either.

I've learned that exposure is useful for many reasons, and not only to kill the A.

My H's A started and ended years ago yet my DDay was this year. Exposure was still necessary and beneficial for my kids, family and some friends.

FBW in recovery
D
D
Originally Posted by seriously
To all who wondered, the NC letter was sent (which she replied to in under 5 minutes, btw!). Hello, no contact?

Ok. Enough is enough. This tramp continues to show zero respect.

You can not write that letter to her superiors quickly enough. Send it ASAP.

FBW in recovery
M
M
Originally Posted by tully
However, I do make a distinction between exposure to end the A and exposure for purely revenge purposes. My own personal recovery has been best since I extracted myself from the A, its sordid details and have focused on myself and my children.

tully, you have confused the concept of "revenge" with "justice." Exposure is not "vengeful," it is therapeutic, it is simply exposing truth, which is an act of justice. That helps everyone. Dr Harley says it is like chemotherapy to cancer. There is nothing moral or virtuous about covering up wrongdoing. Covering up the OW's wrongdoing to her employers, who have a need and right to know, is immoral. There is nothing helpful about protecting her from the consequences of her actions. Protecting wrongdoing is not in her best interest, her employers best interest or her next victim's best interest. I really don't understand how you can defend that position.

I don't care if its done out of "revenge;" the motivation is irrelevant and does not supercede the good it does.

Here is another quote of Dr Harley about this: "Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

The only thing I would say to seriously is that she should behave in a way that she would like to see her own daughter behave should she find herself in this situation.

I agree, which is why I am suggesting she act with honor and expose this affair. There is no honor, no virtue in aiding and abetting evil.

seriously, I am sorry for this debate about exposure on your thread, but you should know that Dr Harley very much does advocate exposure. In your situation, this OW is very brazen and I think it would help your situation.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
seriously, at this point since your H still hasn't changed the number and OW is continuing to contact him, I would look very closely at FB exposing his OW, at the very least see if you can contact her parents/siblings to get their help.

My sister's WH's OW was single and VERY brazen and would not end contact. FB exposing her was the only way to get her to stop. It was a very effect tool in her case and I know it has worked for others here as well.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everybody. You are amazing.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for the words on anger.

As for holding onto grudges, it's definitely going to be a hard one. I was estranged from my dad for quite some time after he left, and when we finally started to have a relationship (it has never been as close as it used to be), he did a few things that really set me back emotionally.

These setbacks occurred in the early years of my marriage, and I would often find myself waking up in the middle of the night obsessing over them, angry, crying.

I finally forgave my father, not sure how, but I definitely have.

Now the slights roll of my back, and I can see him for the fallible human that he is. I feel sorry for him. I want him to be happy.

The problem for me is, I think forgiving dad had a lot to do with the empowerment of being in my own marriage, and realizing that I had the power to create my own family. He couldn't dictate my life, nor destroy it. And of course, my family wasn't going to be as messed up as the one I grew up in.

Perhaps I could forgive my dad because I didn't have to "live" with him every day. I still had a "fairy tale" of my own to look forward to, separate and apart from what he did.

Well, we all know that H is not the Knight in Shining Armor that I dreamed of. Had he differentiated himself on the adultery front, that might've been enough to keep me working through any other issue. But here we are.

One of the things that seems so insurmountable about my new reality is the whole day-to-day forgiveness angle. I know that I can intellectually, spiritually forgive.

I can see my H as human.

I also really and truly want him to be happy.

But I also know how hard it is was in the past for me to truly forgive... to be able to be around the person again without bitterness. It was a long road, it took me many years.

H and I have only been married 8 years. This seems like a ton of baggage to have for the next 4, 5, 6 decades.

I appreciate that the agony will lessen with time, work, understanding... but isn't this awful elephant just there? Won't the OW always be in my bed?

I want to be happily married, I just want what I can't have... which is for this to never have happened.

All the work we are doing now, talking so much, investigating each others' needs... I wanted to do this a year ago! Why did it take an A for him to want to work on this marriage?

I know, what's done is done. So how do I move on?

How do I change this core value of mine: that I will not be married to an adulterer? And why do I feel like a doormat if I stay? And why do all the movies have you kick Mr. Cheater to the curb, and then you become the strong, independent woman you were really meant to be, and find an even handsomer, "real" love of your life? smile

Anyway, that's where I'm at today (Fantasy land).

I appreciate those of you who are on my H's thread. Please ask the tough questions. And help keep us on the path. Because of your words, I have decided against separating myself when he comes back (though I may take a week's vacation from my life). smile

P.S. I appreciate the attempts at the primal scream. Perhaps we need an audio emoticon.

ME, BS, 33
WH, 32

J
J
Seriously,

Right now you feel the way you do because your WH made a huge love bank withdrawal and now your love bank balance is in the red. You are no longer "in love" with him. Since you aren't "in love" with him, it is harder to move on and forgive him. However, if both of you stick to the plan and you let your husband start meeting your emotional needs again, if he avoids lovebusters, you can and probably will have such a positive balance in your love bank that you will be "in love" with him again. When you associate such positive strong feelings with your husband, it will be much easier to let go of the negative ones. You will associate your husband with feeling good, not pain. Once you feel that, if you haven't felt that way in a while before the affair and you have taken extraordinary precautions to keep another one from occurring, you might actually feel better about your marriage than you did before the affair. The reason it took you so long to forgive your father is because he never took responsibility for his actions, said he was sorry, and tried to make things right with you. Instead he furthered his mistakes. Your husband is not your father, and if he commits himself to the marriage and follows the MB program, I see very positive things for your marriage.

I know it sucks that it takes something like this to get people to work to have a happier marriage, but it is often the case.

Last edited by jmwc95; 12/17/10 11:53 PM.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
T
T
The main thing that worked for me from the forgiveness point of view was thinking about all the ways I have screwed up in my life. My faith asks me to forgive so I felt I must, but that also meant that I would not put myself in harm's way ever again. If GO ever cheats again, he's gone from my life.

I too am fallible and was not the wife my DH deserved. We BOTH screwed up when it came to expressing our needs to one another. Does this excuse the A? No way! But looking at my DH working so hard to heal our marriage helped me forgive him.

I've thanked him for not putting me through the ILYBINILWY drama, and for making me feel like his first choice. I don't think I could have overcome that if he had, although I know alot of folks here who have.

I can now see the OW as a sad, pitiful creature who took the easy way out of her marriage and ruined her life instead of doing the hard work to heal it or making the decision to end it legally without hurting anyone else. I still don't ever want to see her again, but I don't hate her completely.

ME: 45 FBS
FWH: GloveOil 43
D-Day 1/7/09 (A: 10/08-1/09)
DD: 16
DS: 12
Married: 19 years
In love for 24+ years and counting!
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Jim and Trust Will Come.

I really appreciate your comments.

This is not for you SWS.

So, it's only a few more days until WH returns. I am stressed out. I asked him if he could stay away longer and he got angry. I said it out of meanness... but it is not inconsistent with my true feelings.

The truth is, he's going to come home and want to meet my EN, and want to talk constantly (he has no job to go to, so no reprieve), and I'm sorry for all those who wish their H would do this, but I just don't want to deal with him anymore. I feel like I'll be a crutch for his loss of job and loss of her.

I also feel like there's nothing to talk about. He cheated for nine months, and I can't take it. Period. I feel like it will annoy me when he starts trying to meet my needs. I'm annoyed that I am now getting flowers and gifts in the mail--they're all tainted with guilt and ulterior motives. How about flowers on my birthday when you weren't having sex with someone else?

He's already broken promises he made after D-day. I just feel like I'm going to be so super-sensitive to anything done wrong. That's not the person I want to be everyday... watching and waiting for more disappointment.

The funny thing is, maybe I'm rewriting history, but the more I look back at my "happy" marriage, the more I realize it wasn't. Read the quotes from "Why women leave men," and that's me in a nutshell.

He also is getting mad at me for not being like the other wives on here who wish their husbands would stop having an A, and those who are actively doing everything to make it work.

Sorry.

He gets mad at me for not reading scriptures and going to the gym.

He wants to be praised for sleeping on the floor instead of the bed they f%$^%ed in.

In fact, he wants admiration constantly, to the point I am thinking he may be one of those NPD people. He would often do things in the marriage and say (jokingly) "Praise me!" He would show me his torso several times a day to comment on once he started going to the gym. After any display of intimacy he would say "You love me???" Like a child. Not sexy, not manly.

8 years married! It was weird, why was he so needy? I guess I wasn't doing something/anything right. But could anyone have praised him/sexed him sufficiently?

But seriously :), how am I going to ever meet the top EN of admiration, and sexual fulfillment.

No desire to do so. I don't think he realizes how he f@#$%ed his way out of that...

For now I just hate him...

Perhaps this is too much negativity for MB.

ME, BS, 33
WH, 32

G
G
You're not supposed to appreciate the flowers & the attention right now. After all, how can you know if they're being sent out of remorse, or fear, or a desire for a quick-fix? What you feel is normal, natural and completely understandable.

His words & gestures, this early-on, mean next-to-nothing. The only thing that can ease your mind is sustained actions on his part, and by definition ("sustained"), that is going to take time -- not a month, but many months, or longer.

(The only thing I'd suggest is to try not to presume too much about what he "will" do or "will" say or how he "will" act when he gets home. He's got plenty to be rightly & sternly judged for based on what he has done. Being convicted in advance for what we might do -- a pretty infinite list of offenses --is a bar none of us can clear.)

You're right not to trust his words. Only actions will tell, and it's rightfully up to you to decide if you have the time to wait around for that.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
M
What are NDP people?

WH 46(Alcoholic,drugs?)
2nd A EA/PA-10/2010
Found out- 11/20/2010
PlanB-1/1/11(broken)

G
G
NPD = narcissistic personality disorder, I think.

L
L
Hello, Seriously ~
I have been following your thread from the beginning...
My heart hurts for you!
All of your feelings of betrayal, anger, frustration, etc. are valid!
There is "NOTHING" wrong with you!
NO "THING"! Period! (Don't 'cha just love compound words?) LOL
I posted on SWS's thread this morning... I hope you will read my post because it expresses my thoughts for y'all's marriage!
I believe that SWS's remorse is genuine... I believe his desire is to reclaim what is HIS! That is his marriage!
And, that is YOU!
Most importantly, SWS's actions will speak louder than his words!
Therefore, as painful as it will be, in order for you to experience restoration in your marriage, you must "be there"!
However, if you decide to throw in the towel, there is not one single person on this forum who will blame you!
I believe SWS will not blame you either!
You are the victim of the most serious heinous crime against a wife by the man whose responsibility it is to "protect" her.
He is the man who vowed to "love & honor" you until death!
His guilt & shame is so base in a marriage that any woman would be hard pressed to have a desire for reconciliation!
Having said that, Seriously, there are "some" women right here on this forum who have already walked where you are today. Some women here dug in their heels and "chose" to fight tooth & toenail for their "marriage"!
Not because they "felt" like it!
NOPE!
From what I have seen here, these women considered their marriage of such high value that they "chose" to do whatever it takes to have a better marriage than they had before infidelity raised its ugly head!
Ask TWC (Trust_Will_Come) if it has been "easy"...
Ask her if the pain she has experienced has been "worth it"...
Therein may lie your answer as to whether to work on a better marriage than you had before SWS took you on this horrible odyssey!
When SWS comes home, you are going to be at the "fork in the road"!
His arrival will necessitate a "decision" on your part.
Your "decision" will determine yours, SWS's and your children's future...
I believe you have the courage, fortitude & determination to do what is right for YOU & YOUR family.
Most importantly, You Are NOT Alone!!!
You have many people right here to encourage & edify you in your quest to "win" the prize!
What it boils down to is this:
You are the only person who can decide whether or not your H & M are worth fighting tooth & toenail for!
Lastly, I hope you will read GO's posts over and over!
You have his wife, "Trust_Will_Come; 45, tall, beautiful & heart of gold" as a "resident source of information"!
She knows exactly how you feel... Draw upon her expertise before you make your final decision about whether or not to stay with SWS...
Hugs to you, Sweetheart!
God Bless ~
lashes
P.S. http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=9

"Now is the time for all good MB Veterans to come to the aid of their MB Rookies!"
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation