Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I want to tell you something else. Just like I didn't want to burden my mom with the knowledge of this A, I also wanted to protect others from being burdened with the truth.

But I finally realized that I wasn't the one burdening them. My H and (now ex) S put a sledgehammer to my family years ago when they engaged in an A. It's all on them. It's not my fault there's a permanent rift in the family.

It's not your fault either. You should seriously think about telling them. They deserve to know the truth. And you shouldn't be placed in a position of lying to them. You're not a liar, are you? Don't let the thoughtless, selfish actions of your H and that OW turn you into one.

FBW in recovery
R
R
Have your husband change his cell phone number. If it is a work number, change your number onto his and take his phone, you can then forward any work calls.

Tell your children the truth. Tell them that Daddy and Aunt so and so had a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship and that isn't okay when your married.

Tell them you and Daddy are fixing your marriage and love each other. Tell them your taking these steps to stay togather as a family. That Aunt so and so wants Daddy to leave, so that the issue is clear that Aunt POSOW is the enemy. They will be hurt, but it will make sense and let them know it isn't okay what happened.

D
D
SS, how old are your kids?

They probably know more than you realize anyway. And since this is an inter-family A, they will learn the truth someday. Much better that the truth comes from you now.

This is a compilation of info from Dr. Harley, founder of Marriage Builders:

Exposing the Affair to Children
My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur. An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.

Radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your spouse's affair would help them in all three areas. The more your children know about the affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery.

Being radically honest about your spouse's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

FBW in recovery
S
OP Offline
S
My son is 11. Well there has been no phone contact but I think there is email contact. Refuses to give me password and his cell phone is now locked. Keylogger shows emails and that they met yesterday. Trying to get through Christmas and then I don't know what to do. I want to confront him but I need more info...he says he wants to stay and even said he feels that our relationship is improving.

M
M
Originally Posted by sadlystressed
My son is 11. Well there has been no phone contact but I think there is email contact. Refuses to give me password and his cell phone is now locked. Keylogger shows emails and that they met yesterday. Trying to get through Christmas and then I don't know what to do. I want to confront him but I need more info...he says he wants to stay and even said he feels that our relationship is improving.

Why do you choose to enable this affair? If you know they are still in contact, why aren't you doing something about it? There is nothing we can do for you if you won't follow our advice.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
SS, you know the A is still on, right? You MUST be in affair-fighting mode, until ALL contact has ceased. That means all phone numbers/emails/etc are all changed.

How do you fight the affair? You MUST expose this. Children, parents, close friends, siblings, anyone who can put pressure on these two to end this.

Has your cousin confronted your H? Have you confronted your cousin's W?

Please do not go into Recovery mode until ALL contact has ended next time.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
OP Offline
S
Planning on exposing right after Christmas. Told my coworkers this week. I don't want to ruin my son's christmas. It is going to be devastating; I can survive 2 more days. I want emails in hand to show him that I know and so that other people believe me. Any suggestions as far as exposing; do you tell him first that you are going to expose or just expose and see what happens. I am planning on telling him all contact ends with OW with all access to email, phone, etc. He will tell me no-at least initially. I plan on standing my ground and telling him that we need to separate unless all contact ends and he proves it. Any other advice?

S
OP Offline
S
I didn't know they were in contact again until yesterday afternoon. I did and he did a no contact a few weeks ago. OW pursued and apparently got contact again. He is a willing participant and I am PO. My cousin knows and we have both confronted the WS-apparently that did not matter either.

M
M
Planning on exposing right after Christmas. Told my coworkers this week.

Why would you tell your coworkers? Do they work with him?

Any suggestions as far as exposing; do you tell him first that you are going to expose or just expose and see what happens.

No, you don't give him any forewarning at all. What will happen is that he will rant, rage and threaten you.

I am planning on telling him all contact ends with OW with all access to email, phone, etc. He will tell me no-at least initially. I plan on standing my ground and telling him that we need to separate unless all contact ends and he proves it. Any other advice?

Sounds like a plan!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
coworker is going through the same thing-support system for each other and friends

S
S
I am planning on telling him all contact ends with OW with all access to email, phone, etc. He will tell me no-at least initially. I plan on standing my ground and telling him that we need to separate unless all contact ends and he proves it. Any other advice?
Since she has proven she won't abide by NC, it is necessary for your H to change his phone number, email address, and have a plan in place if she finds a way through, ie., he is to immediately hang up and not have ANY conversation with her. He also needs to tell you about any & all attempted contacts by her.

Good job on standing your ground. Let us know what happens!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation