Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
roroma Offline OP
OP Offline
R
How do you change your state of mind about your triggers? Yesterday I saw a bruise on my little girls bottom and it reminded me of the bruise on OWs that I saw in the video the WH took of their PA. My little girl's darling behind is now a trigger. Arrrgh!
Sex with my WH is triggering me as well. I usually dont trigger until after the big "O", but as soon as I have one I can't get the thought of the two of them out my head. I look at him enjoying himself and see the video all over again.

Me: BW 30
WH: 37
DD 9/2007
DS 2/2010
#3 Due Nov. 5
Met 8/02
Married 6/06
D-Day 10/31/2010
G
G
Ro,
Have you read Mark's thread on managing memories?

Managing memories/triggers

You're still too close to Dday and triggers and memories are at their strongest. With time they fade and you learn to deal with them or replace them with good/better memories with spouse.

Gg

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
R
roroma Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I did read that. Thanks Gg.

Me: BW 30
WH: 37
DD 9/2007
DS 2/2010
#3 Due Nov. 5
Met 8/02
Married 6/06
D-Day 10/31/2010
C
C
Am I correct in reading that this D-day was a few months ago?

If so, the answer is simple. Well not really, but it's the only one I know.

Time.

My main trigger happened to be a popular song from my FWW's FB or MS page. Wouldn't you know it, two years later it's still on the radio every day!

I just sucked it up, and now when they play it I just have to laugh a little. Not much else you can do really!

After a few years the triggers will still be triggers but they will only bother you when you let them.

Until then, just focus on the good things.

D
D
cold_tired is right. Time is the answer along with replacing negative thoughts with positive ones.

There were times earlier this year that I felt I'd go literally insane because the A was all I could think about ... triggers, triggers everywhere. And I have to drive by the scene of the crime (sex location) on a regular basis. There is no escaping it for me.

But time helps us heal. It really is true.

Try writing down a few happy, positive thoughts on a piece of paper you can pull out whenever you are triggered. Replace negative with positive.

FBW in recovery
S
S
I'm still just a few months out since H's affair ended and the triggers are still very hard for me as well. The strange thing is, when he first returned home, I triggered a lot when he was not around. Now, however, I don't trigger when he's at work. I trigger MORE when he's home and we are together. I hate the thought of him carrying on with OW like he and I do now! Before, his being with me was a coping tool: he could hold me or we could talk or whatever. Now, my mind has turned to him doing those things with her when he does them. BLECH!!!!!

I read Mark's thread a while ago but it is probably worth another read. Glad you posted it!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation