Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2461932 01/09/11 08:47 AM
P
PHOEN1X Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It's not just for geeky 40 year old men who still live with their moms and have no friends... okay stereotypes are not really nice but we've met quite a few of just those type of people...

Anyway, on a hunt for a recreational activity to do we thought of making our own chess set, collecting different miniature figurines and paint them up as pawns, rook, knights etc. While looking for miniatures we liked for our sets we came across a game called WarHammer 40K. We decided to give it a stab but it turned out to be expensive, more than technical with it's rules and not for us. We tried another game that was suppose to be cheaper to get on the table and actually playing with only it's starter boxed set. It was called WarMachine and it had a seperate game build to play against it called Hordes for even further army choices.

Anyway, we've become engrossed in this game we found. We bought two armies. My husband chose to go with a WarMachine army which is all massive machines run on steam that smash stuff with a Warcaster (General) who directs his attention to each machine to command his army and casts spells to maximise it's potential. I went with Hordes and chose a more organic army of beasts with a Warlock taming them and using their wild energy to create spells and direct her own forces.

We built each pewter miniature and painted them up and then play battles against each other. We've also found a couple people to play against and we go play against them every once in awhile. Games can take hours so they take up an evening quite nicely and we usually discuss how they went afterward over dinner.

I thought I'd share as it's an interesting hobby we've gotten into and enjoy. ^_^

-= Phoenix
I am BW-25
WH-27
Married since 7/07
A from 1/09-7/09

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday."-Eeyore
R
R
Blood for the Blood God!

Skulls for the throne of Khorne!

I used to be into 40k...was lots of fun..but quite expensive to keep up with.

Haven't heard of the one you guys have chosen...sounds neat though.

Click to reveal.. (My Stuff)
FWH 36 EA/PA NC & D-day 12/21/10
FWW 36 EA / NC & D-day 12/8/10
Married: 12+ years
Together: 17+
Kids: x3
Working together to be better than ever!

And if the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain
All the hope and glory
All of the sacrifice in vain
And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price
But we will not count the cost
B
B
Yeah we used to do Warhammer fantasy. We both painted. I was more into modding the figs and doing the actual playing. The rules for both fantasy and 40k are awful - if you don't have the latest rule set that came out in XYZ book/magazine/article last week, you're screwed. You just about have to have all the army books to know what the opponents' units can do. It was fun but I agree it's a money pit.

I'm trying to get an RPG group together, but I don't know that I have the time or desire to run a campaign.

I'm in the process of teaching my W how to play bridge. I played a lot in high school, and when we did the recreational companionship survey, she expressed an interest in learning. We're actually going to her first play-and-learn game at the local club...I hope she enjoys it.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
K
K
You want a really funny game to play, try Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot.

It's a card game where the goal is to get several bunny cards. You then want to get carrot cards, and when the game is over, carrot cards are eliminated until the winning carrot is decided.

There are all sorts of attack cards, bunnies who can't be attacked (but they don't count as a "real" bunny at the end because they aren't technically alive and you can't get carrots with them)...and...well...

Tabletop gaming is something I've never tried, mainly because I don't know of places that I can buy the stuff from around here.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
K
K
Risk, clue, Axis and Allies for table top or just go old school D&D or some Mage/Vampire the Masquerade

Orrrr...play Warhammer 40K and realize it's going to cost you a pretty penny. Specially if you wanna play at cons.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
Gosh.....we just play pictionary and clue and junk.....we're boring....

K
K
Clue? I should play it, I never have...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
K
K
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Clue? I should play it, I never have...

Oh man. It's a really cool old school game. it's a 'Who dun it' type game in which you have to solve a murder mystery using clues. Lots of fun. They made a movie off of it which is a pretty good movie.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

P
PHOEN1X Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Has anyone heard of a game with a board like Clue but it's an art museum? The players set up security cameras and where to put the paintings and they are guards essentially in the museum. There's also a player designated as a theif and they don't have a piece but a pad of paper of the game board they keep hidden to track where they would have been if they had a piece and they move throughout the board and try to steal the pictures. The guards can ask certain questions like what color room you're in or if camera X can see you or not. I had it as a kid and LOVED it but for the life of me I've never been able to find it... frown

-= Phoenix
I am BW-25
WH-27
Married since 7/07
A from 1/09-7/09

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday."-Eeyore

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation