Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by EasyE
I didn't mean as a point of spelling out needs. Once done, once it has been hammered into the ground, I don't see how on an individual event (like on a Saturday night) POJA'ing for sex is going to go over well.

It seems to me at some point, after EN's have long been established, the verbal approach would cause Mrs. Alias to roll her eyes and think of her to-do list.

Agreed on the part the overall informing of what ENs need to be met has long been established.

Where I struggle is having to continually ask for/push for those needs to be met. I did it for so many years and I tried it in so many various ways that lately I just don't even try. My god I'd hate to even list all of the different ways I tried to approach my wife about my complaints/concerns that my needs weren't/aren't being met.

Lately it seems there is an apparent acknowledgement from her that she knows what's expected. And she's showing a genuine concern when those expectations aren't going to be met. For me that's a pretty big thing. Up until this point most times she just tries to ignore the situation or at least tries to avoid the conversation. One can ponder the reasons behind that.

As you've stated EasyE I am no longer filing my complaints to her. She knows frequency/consistency is key. We are getting back to doing the little things that make us feel attached. A gentle hand or touch here or there, a flirtatious pinch (she does this to me mostly), kinds words of affirmation, being pleasant and attentive around each other.

This is it for me though. If I go down this path of doing what a good H should do like I've done many times in the past and nothing changes for me I will have no choice but to push for something more for us. We will have to get some help if our M is to survive.

Meanwhile I'm going to do everything I can to create the romantic love we had not that many months ago. I'm hoping this latest withdrawal stage I went through scared her enough. I know it scared and depressed me. I've certainly explained my feelings of not caring anymore to her and how much it scared me. I told her during that time that I didn't think we were going to make it.

I don't think the Mrs. rolls her eyes. It isn't that she doesn't believe I deserve these things. Does she think of it as a chore? I don't know. Its not a need for her so I would expect she does. To some extent don't we all have those days when we're not at our best that keeping the love alive can be chore-like?

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
N
N
Meanwhile I'm going to do everything I can to create the romantic love we had not that many months ago.

I'm so happy to hear this! Years ago when I got here it gave me so much hope for my own life, reading about what you two had then together. I can imagine how cool it must be for your kids, growing up seeing how two folks love and respect and are thoughtful and caring to each other.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
M
Originally Posted by MrAlias
[Meanwhile I'm going to do everything I can to create the romantic love we had not that many months ago. I'm hoping this latest withdrawal stage I went through scared her enough. I know it scared and depressed me. I've certainly explained my feelings of not caring anymore to her and how much it scared me. I told her during that time that I didn't think we were going to make it.

That is great news! What is your plan? There is a very specific way to achieve this. If she is willing, do you have a plan to achieve this?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm sorry Melody. I'm sure my plan isn't what you're hoping for.

Unfortunately at this juncture I'd have to state my wife isn't interested in a plan. At least not a plan that's being thrust upon her. I tried approaching her with the idea of recreating that romantic love. She said she was fine and thought the only issue was my depression (work and physical health related). I did communicate that the lack of my needs being met were a big part of the depression and withdrawal. I mentioned getting help but she was silent.

My plan is to do what I can to create that romantic, connected love we had and see where it takes us. If it takes us back to where we were before then I feel I'll have ammunition/justification to say we need to take this one step further and get some professional help.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
BTW I feel good about the plan. It gives me hope that we'll either make it on our own or we'll get help that will help us make it. It's giving me some motivation and lifting the horrible feeling I've had for over a year now.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
smile That sounds awesome!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
MrA, were you and your W the couple who would fall asleep in each other's arms? I think it was you two, you're not starting from scratch, you guys have a huge head start.

I don't remember, do you two do Date Nights? Can you leave the kids home without a sitter, or do you have a sitter?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We can no longer fall asleep in each other's arms. I have sleep apnea and need to "gear" up before I go to sleep. It really plays havoc on spooning/snuggling.

We hold hands once in awhile now.

Our son is our sitter and yes we do do date nights. We've gone out with friends severals times in the last couple of months. We also leave the kids at home at times and do some shopping together, etc.

With this new project at work we spend less time together but with our kid's activities and our date nights we have to average more than 15 hours together each week.

Last edited by MrAlias; 02/17/11 08:53 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
My plan is to do what I can to create that romantic, connected love we had and see where it takes us. If it takes us back to where we were before then I feel I'll have ammunition/justification to say we need to take this one step further and get some professional help.

I think thats a great plan. That is what Dr Harley calls "priming the pump" when you have one spouse who is not fully on board. You do what you are doing, priming the pump, so to speak and then taking it to a new level when her interest is piqued. Did you see the "Saved by One Spouse" series of articles? There might be some ideas in there: Saved By One Spouse?

Exposure 101

N
N
MrA, I wonder, though, how many folks never experience that, you know, how many wonderful memories you have. And how cool your 13 year old can be the sitter! My DD started doing that at that age, too, they had/have fun with it. They could watch kid movies at night on the big TV LOL.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
BTW I feel good about the plan. It gives me hope that we'll either make it on our own or we'll get help that will help us make it. It's giving me some motivation and lifting the horrible feeling I've had for over a year now.

Wow. It's been over 20 months since I posted this. It's surreal going back to read the things I've posted in the past.

I find myself in worse shape than ever before.

I'm stuck, trapped by my own choices. I've grown extremely apathetic about my marriage.

The plan didn't work. The suggestion to try something fell on deaf ears. I continued to try a little to create something despite not getting the professional help we needed but soon found things with her that really started to bother me. I won't list them, just say they were enough to turn me off.

I slowly became less and less interested in her and our marriage and today I find myself totally disinterested in her. We're roommates. Maybe even less than roommates.

I'm staying because I don't want to break up the family nor experience the cost of a divorce at this juncture. I try to be cordial but there is no passion and very little interaction. I'm to the point where I'm the one ensuring it stays that way. Losing all expectation has proven less painful.

My focus has been on the kids as has hers I suppose. They're wonderful. I couldn't imagine shaking up their world.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting. I guess I don't like being stuck and I don't like knowing times wasting away for an opportunity to love someone (maybe not her) and have someone love me back in a way that makes me happy.

People in your position try, usually for years, to get their spouses' attention. Those that complain often feel guilty about complaining, and their spouses often remind them that they should be grateful for what they do have, instead of being critical of what they don't do. So these people learn to say less and less as the problems becomes greater and greater. Some people never do complain because they don't want to be perceived as critical an unappreciative. But in the end, the marital conflicts take their toll -- they lose the feeling of love for their spouses.

When that happens, the person gives up. He or she comes to the conclusion that the spouse will not change and that they must get used to the idea of living without care or consideration. Some of these people remain married for the sake of their values or children, but they remain emotionally distant from their spouses to minimize their pain.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
I've long given up on many of the concepts of this site.
Tell us what you have done to recover your marriage, Mr. A.
The plan didn't work.
Tell us what you did.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

K
K
Hi MrAlias, I joined this site earlier this year, after you started this thread, and just now read it. The only advice I have for you is to tell you that I was in a similar situation as you, and I'm now divorced. I reached the state of Withdrawal and stayed there for several years because I didn't want to break up the family. When my kids were old enough to be on their own, I left. In hindsight, now that I found this website, I could've done things differently by trying, as MelodyLane wrote many times earlier in this thread, to restore romantic love to the marriage.

What is incredibly difficult is trying to work on your marriage while you're in the state of withdrawal.

I was in withdrawal for way too long, and I know how you feel: very depressed, almost paralyzed to do anything about your situation.

You need to get out of the state of Withdrawal. Others on this site may be able to help, or you can try professional counseling. If your wife won't agree to phone counseling with the Harley's, at least you can; start with you.

If you continue in the state of Withdrawal, you will either stay unhappy for the rest of your life or you or your wife will have an affair and your marriage will probably end. Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, but you really do need to get out of that state. Until you do, you will be unable to meet your wife's emotional needs; and even if she was trying to meet yours, it wouldn't work because your Love Bank is closed for business.

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
The plan didn't work.
Tell us what you did.

If I had the energy to I would. I've been coming to this site on and off for a number of years and have done my darndest to implement anything and everything short of the counseling offered by the Harleys. We've been to marriage counseling, individual counseling, her and I did the questionaire years ago, I've read a few books namely The 5 Love Languages; to name a few. She's not interested in others telling her what she should do. She wants to do it her way ... but with her way there is no plan. You just co-exist and be happy with what you got.

I'm numb to her.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
I've read a few books namely The 5 Love Languages; to name a few.
That is naming one.

Have you read any books by Dr Harley? This site, Marriage Builders, is for help and advice in using his materials ater all.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Keep,

I, like you, plan to wait for the kids to move on and then I'll make a decision. Right now I'm staying for financial reasons and I hope to minimize the kids pain.

I am totally paralyzed. I don't have enough feelings for her to really even care. And it appears she's feeling the same way as she is also not interacting much with me. We just communicate on the necessities.

I am done trying to rectify. I've always been the one over the last gee I don't know 10 to 12 years that has tried. I've spent countless hours asking, receiving and giving advice on this site. I've taken self improvement seminars. I good friend who is a Life Coach gave me coaching for a good stretch there. As I said earlier I've done individual and marriage counseling. That's the one thing she's done, counseling... but most of what she worked on was her post partum (now gone), her OCB (lessened) and her anxieties/phobias(nearly gone). Which was important but now when it's important to us she doesn't want to do anything I suggest and she offers nothing as an alternative.

So as you may be able to see I have NO interest in starting up again. She wants to fix it she can take the initiative. I'm cruising until the kids are grown. That's about 8 more years give or take.

I'm focusing on other areas of my life. Trying to get back into shape (lifelong struggle). I need to drop about 30 pounds but mostly I'm working out just to feel in shape. I've got a lot of physical ailments that make life painful at times.

I'm focused on the kids. Making sure I'm teaching them good life lessons (my marriage is the exception), helping them to grow.

I'm sure I'm open to someone else's attention. Fortunately there aren't any opportunities that have surfaced and I certainly am not seeking something like that.

Anyways the short of it is I'm just putting in my time unless she asks me to do something about it. My Bank is closed and my heart won't let my head try to open it again.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
I've read a few books namely The 5 Love Languages; to name a few.
That is naming one.

Have you read any books by Dr Harley? This site, Marriage Builders, is for help and advice in using his materials ater all.

No. After reading a couple of the love languages books, reading everything on this site several times over and having received advice from this forum for over 10 years I doubt there is anything in those books that I am not already aware of.

Can our marriage be saved using the MB techniques? Heck yeah. Especially if we were to participate in counseling with the Harleys.

Will it? I doubt it. Especially now that I'm deep in withdrawal and have no interest in trying to make it work. I certainly have no interest in dropping hundreds of dollars to have a counselor tell me try what I already know and have tried. Some would say they'd be able to help my wife participate. Nope. I've been over that with her and she'll tell you "I'm not interested. There's bound to be something we can do ourselves that doesn't cost anything." Great what's the plan. Crickets. Shrugs. Grrrrr.

I'm not interested in spending another dime on this marriage unless she's the catalyst.

I'm staying for reasons other than love.

Last edited by MrAlias; 09/28/12 07:29 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
The plan didn't work.
Tell us what you did.

If I had the energy to I would. I've been coming to this site on and off for a number of years and have done my darndest to implement anything and everything short of the counseling offered by the Harleys. We've been to marriage counseling, individual counseling, her and I did the questionaire years ago, I've read a few books namely The 5 Love Languages; to name a few. She's not interested in others telling her what she should do. She wants to do it her way ... but with her way there is no plan. You just co-exist and be happy with what you got.

I'm numb to her.

I would try Marriage Builders, MrA. You have never used Marriage Builders in all these years. Filling out a questionaire and posting on a chat forum will not help your marriage. You have to actually do the work.

However, when someone has the same problem after 10 years, they are not really looking for solutions.

The counseling services are FOR reluctant spouses. As Harley says, most couples that come to him for help have a reluctant spouse. He turns that around.

Five Love Languages will not help your marriage. It is a marriage program that was largely taken from Marriage Builders ["love tank"] that only focuses on communication at the expense of creating love. Communication is not the problem in your marriage, it is that you have fallen out of love.

When your own methods don't work, it is time to step it up and actually use the program. But I don't believe you are serious about finding solutions.

Exposure 101

M
M
[I certainly have no interest in dropping hundreds of dollars to have a counselor tell me try what I already know and have tried.

You haven't tried Marriage Builders. But if you had been really looking for solutions, I suspect you would have.

Exposure 101

K
K
MrAlias, it�s painful to read what you write:

I am totally paralyzed. I don't have enough feelings for her to really even care. And it appears she's feeling the same way as she is also not interacting much with me. We just communicate on the necessities.
So as you may be able to see I have NO interest in starting up again.
I'm cruising until the kids are grown. That's about 8 more years give or take.
I'm just putting in my time
My Bank is closed and my heart won't let my head try to open it again.
I was there too, exactly where you are today. It�s heartbreaking to read that someone is suffering what I know from experience is so numbing and painful at the same time.

Rhetorical question: Do you really want to live like you are now for 8 more years? If you�re like me, and it sounds like you are, divorce is not an option right now because of the kids. You can try to find happiness on your own, like I did while waiting for the kids to grow up, but I�ll tell you, if I had known about Marriage Builders resources back then, I think it might�ve worked. It�s the one program I�ve seen that makes a lot of sense.

The key for you right now is to get out of Withdrawal. I applaud your attempt to get back into shape. Aerobic exercise is a great way to improve your outlook on life. Keep at it. Make sure you find something you enjoy doing because that�s what will keep you motivated. If it feels like a chore, you�ll probably quit, especially being in the state of Withdrawal where you tend not to care much about anything.

You write in another post:

I certainly have no interest in dropping hundreds of dollars to have a counselor tell me try what I already know and have tried.
It sounds as if you haven�t tried what the Harleys can offer. A lot of other posters on your thread have encouraged you to call them. Doesn�t it pique your interest? It�s possible the Harleys can offer you a new approach, something you haven�t tried. Why not give it a shot? One phone counseling session won�t set you back that much, and then you can decide whether or not to continue. If your marriage eventually ends, how will you feel knowing that you didn�t try something that might�ve helped?

Give it a try. You don�t have much to lose, and you potentially have much to gain.

Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation