Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Our D-day of my H's 18 month EA/PA was in December 1995.
Over the course of the discovery drama and tears, I asked the preverbal "WHY?" question.

This is funny to me now. rotflmao

I asked:
"Why did you have your affair?"

WH said:
"Because you said (uncomplimentary remark) about me."

I said:
"What? I don't remember making any remark like that."

WH said:
"You did say that to me. It really hurt me."

I said:
"When was this?"

WH said:
"1981"
rotflmao

14 years after the hurtful remark it was his reason to become an adulterer.

rotflmao

Ha! On d-day I was told it was because I "leave the kitchen cabinets open when I am cooking and don't close them immediately."

I was such an emotional wreck I started hysterically laughing/crying.

I had 'em both beat...Mr. W used "GRANDMA TOOTHPASTE" [Pepsodent]! What a total rat, huh? Poor me, I had it so rough! grin

Mrs. W stickout

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

V
V
I think everyone should go easier Spike's marriage history. It doesn't sound all that ridiculous to me. I've known marriages where the wife openly belittles her husband in front of other people. I've been with a friend when he's gotten a call from his wife upset he's at happy hour and she's yelling so loudly that I could easily hear it over the noise in the bar.

I think Spike has the tendencies of a "Nice Guy". I bet he puts women on a pedestal, downplays his own needs, does what ever she wants so that she will be happy. His marriage history is exactly what a Nice Guy would do--continually try to please her no matter how mean she was to him.

That doesn't make the affair ok. It's 100% wrong. But I don't think it's helping to make it seem like he's rewriting the history of a heaven-like marriage.

Spike, if you're still reading this there is hope. You have two battles to fight. One, you need to fix your Nice Guy personality. Two, you need to fix your marriage. I'm not a vet like most people, but here's what I think you should do:

1. End the affair now. Go totally no contact. Block her number and email.

2. Fix your Nice Guy self. Be a man who can stand up for himself

3. Confess your affair to your wife and the other husband

4. Get your wife on board with MB

P
P
Originally Posted by Vity
a heaven-like marriage.

NO ONE said this.
I doubt anyone even thinks this.

P
P
1. End the affair now. Go totally no contact. Block her number and email.

2. Fix your Nice Guy self. Be a man who can stand up for himself

3. Confess your affair to your wife and the other husband

4. Get your wife on board with MB

Not bad for a self-proclaimed non-vet.
I like lists.

M
M
I've been with a friend when he's gotten a call from his wife upset he's at happy hour and she's yelling so loudly that I could easily hear it over the noise in the bar.

As an aside to you, Vity. What in the world was a married man doing at "happy hour" without his wife? While yelling at her husband is ill advised, if she is upset that he is at a bar without her [wise woman] then the solution is for him to STOP doing that.

Vity, I am a former wayward wife. I can attest to the ridiculous history rewrites of wayward spouses. Been there, done that. While I'm sure that Spike's marriage was not perfect, it does him no good to lament about that stuff when what he is doing is far more damaging to the marriage. Spike needs to clean up his side of the street. That is where his attention should be focused.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
P
The REASON I went on, and on, and on .... MrRollieEyes about revisionist marital history was because another MB'er totally bought into the "nut case BW" crapola that was being flung out there.

Nonsense.
My diatribe was for that other Mb'er.

S
S
I think everyone should go easier Spike's marriage history. It doesn't sound all that ridiculous to me.

The very fact that he would write out such a long list of complaints about her when he has been treating her so horribly behind her back is proof alone that he is foggy. Not to mention the last THREE years he has spent deceiving those who love and care for him, so of course, we can't trust him to be honest.

Once you put the crackpipe (OW) down and go through withdrawal, you may start to see your W and your M differently. That is what happens to every wayward I have met here and IRL.

Last edited by SusieQ; 02/10/11 04:15 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
P
P
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Once you put the crackpipe (OW) down and go through withdrawal, you may start to see your W and your M differently. That is what happens to every wayward I have met here and IRL.

EGG ZAK LEE !!!

A
A
Spike,

You said you would like to stop the affair and probably can do it. So do it today. Tell your wife about the affair. Write a no contact letter to the other woman. Simple, but not easy.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
S
S
Spike,

Without doing a long drawn-out analysis of your post, I will offer you what I have gleaned from the information you gave us.

1. I believe you when you say your wife does not want sex with you, and that this dates back to early in the marriage.

2. I believe you when you say your wife states that she hates you.

3. I also believe you that your wife hates to work. Somehow, this rings true.

4. I find it remarkable that you have written things down. Others may find this a ridiculous claim, however. For me, it is not so ridiculous, because I have done such a thing on a job in the past. I worked for a person who was a "nut job" as someone so aptly described, and it was a necessary step for me to take in order for me to maintain some sort of structure to what was being said and what was happening. Otherwise, when I went to talk to the higher-ups, they might have thought I was crazy. Turns out, those very journals that I kept, of emails and notes of conversations became a 1-inch thick notebook full of documentation that turned out handy in a meeting of about 10 people. The woman accused me of something quite crazy and outlandish, denied having directed me to do something, and I simply opened the journal and pulled out her SEVENTEEN EMAILS sent to me the night before (one right after the other) showing that she absolutely HAD done so. The woman was a "nut job", the emails were proof, and our CEO asked for copies of my documentation later that very day - right before she was permanently reassigned to a quite different position. So, yes, I do believe you wrote this stuff down.

5. You won't like this one. Call up your OW's husband, tell him that you have desecrated his marriage, that you will never contact his wife again, and that you are a fool for acting like this. You are NOT a good man in this regard, and your behavior towards this man and his family has been outrageous. You need to expose your affair to him, point him to Dr. Harley's materials, and apologize profusely. Then, follow up with a written letter of NO CONTACT to him and his wife. And MEAN IT.

6. Expose the affair to your wife and your family and friends. Your wife deserves to know the truth of her life.

7. You also won't like what I have to say here. Regardless of the fact that your wife may (or may not) be the worst wife on the entire face of the planet, you had no right to have an affair. You may not love her. You may want a divorce. Feel free to divorce her. Go ahead. The simple fact remains that your post is chock full of feeble attempts at justification for your lack of fidelity. You attempt, over and over, to shirk the blame for your affair onto your wife's back because she's a bad person, she didn't have sex with you, she's unreasonable, she says she hates you.....you go on and on and on! The TRUTH IS that YOU had an AFFAIR because YOU CHOSE TO HAVE AN AFFAIR. You just as easily could have chosen to divorce your wife instead.

You did, at one point, choose to try counseling. You report trying to talk to her. Instead, your next step was not to dissolve the marriage, it was to have an affair. That, sir, is on you. You could post 1,000 so-called justifications, but in the end, an affair is never justified. No matter how much of a nut job you are married to.

8. For your next step, you have some kind of a choice ahead. From your post, I gather one MAJOR underlying message:

You do NOT want to remain married to this woman, and you are asking if this is okay, even though you had an affair and you feel true guilt and remorse about this fact.

I hereby tell you this: It is okay to want a divorce.

It is NOT okay to continue your affair.

It is NOT okay to ruin the other woman's marriage, which, by the way even YOU report was just dandy before YOU got in there and messed it up. Let the OW fix her life.

If you want to get a divorce, fine. But here's one big surprise for you. Do not be shocked if your wife kicks you out first, and if HER version of the marriage isn't even close to yours, come court time.

Just a heads-up on that.

She might also just want to try to save the marriage. You never know.

This is a Marriage Building site. Your post's message really is asking, "Is it okay for me to leave this woman?"

Yeah. You could leave her. Only, when you do, you will take with you the ONE thing that won't change from this marriage right into the next relationship.

You.

You might consider doing a little work here at MB first, before you decide on dumping the whole thing.

Schoolbus

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
M
M
Schoolbus, I do believe you've just out-done your previously best post, and that's saying something.

Nice, succinct post. Spike, it doesn't get any plainer and more straightforward than this.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
Originally Posted by Tawandabelle
Really??? So a woman who cheats hasn't owned her choice if she gives a convoluted back story....but this man who has justified right and left just married a nut job.

Is adultery wrong or isn't it? Is there a justifiable reason to cheat or isn't there?

If my A was wrong.....then so was this.

Wow.

His affair was wrong.

She is still a nut job.

Ask H1 if so, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that's why H1 divorced NJW, nut job wife.

P
P
Originally Posted by SpikeRemote
5 years ago, I was in a desperate stage in my marriage and I stumbled upon MB and read everything I could on the site and in the forums. Then things in my life got �Busy� and I dropped it. Things are a lot different now � the marriage is in the same condition, but I seem to care less emotionally, but my mind tells me that I have to do something to try to make things better. It seems like I have done everything else, so I am back here.

I think what I am looking for right now is some motivation to try to care again. Again, my intellect tells me I have to care.

I have read forum posts all evening, and I know that I definitely have to first read Fall in Love, Stay in Love, and then Lovebusters. But I am hoping that some of the insightful folks here can give me some additional guidance.

It is a long story, but I will try to be as brief and concise as I can (just finished and I was neiter). I guess folks will ask for additional information if it is needed.

My Wife and I are both 47. We have been married nearly 13 years. We married when we were 34. My first marriage, her 2nd.

I knew there were problems soon after asking her to marry me. She stopped being affectionate and always had excuses for not wanting to be intimate.

Shortly before the wedding, I told her that I had spoken to my father regarding a real estate question (he was a real estate/corporate law attorney). She berated me for involving my folks in our (my � we were not married yet) personal business. Additionally, she called me a momma�s boy. That seemed strange to me as I lived 5 hours from my folks, had moved out at 18 to join the USMC, graduated from college, learned my trade, started a business, and had never lived in my hometown since. Didn�t see that coming. I guess at the time I assumed she was having a bad day, but flags went off enough for me to discuss the subject with a close friend. I can�t remember what he said, but apparently I ignored it.

Within three months, she had threatened to leave me and was regularly telling me how much she hated me. This crushed me and I buckled down and tried to alleviate everything that she said bothered her.

From the honeymoon, when she was frequently too tired to have sex, I felt that she was trying to condition me to less and less sex. As I mentioned above, when I asked about it, there were always excuses.

She hated my folks: I stopped talking to then at home, they never were invited to visit, and we cut visits to them down to a bare minimum. No improvement.

She hated my friends: Cut them down to the bare minimum. Never in my home.

She hated her job: I suggested she quit. She did. No improvement.

She wanted kids: We have twins, boy and girl.

She hated where we lived: I built a bodacious house largely to her specifications.

By the end of the first year, we were largely not intimate. By that time, she had threatened to divorce me several times, told me she hated me regularly, and even compared me unfavorably to her X-Husband and old boyfriends regularly. She shamed me for trying to be intimate regularly (whenever I tried to be intimate). She would tell me that I was immature, and accused me of thinking that marriage was all about sex. We never had sex as frequently as once a week.

After each of these blowups, she would generally apologize after three days and tell me that she really loved me. After a while, I would no longer get too mad (usually) when she was �venting� and I would tell her that she would be taking it all back in three days, and I would just wait for then before I would participate in any further conversations on the subject (whatever she was berating me over).

We went to marriage counseling. That was a disaster from my perspective. The counselor told me privately that I would have to learn to live like this on her terms because she was not going to change.

After 5 years, I estimate there was a �Blowup� every other month. I defined a blowup as anytime she: Threatened to divorce me, told me she hated me, threatened to financially ruin me, or compared me unfavorably to an old boyfriend or husband.

At 7 years (when I was distraught and struggling to find anything to ease my pain � reading everything I could get my hands on from MB) we had had at least a few 1.5 year non intimate spells. I was searching for some way to at least ease my mind about it. I was totally heartbroken all the time. I told here that I understood that she was doing everything she could, but that I had to do something to fix me. If I was the problem, then fixing me would fix us. I spoke to friends about it and got all of the home remedies, etc.

I decided at some point to keep a journal of her behavior in an effort to try to correlate her behavior to some external stimulus, or at least have it all written down so I could analyze it and determine what the problem was. She had even gotten to the point of telling me that I was not mentally stable. I took that to my business partner (old and trusted friend). He assured me that I was not insane.

At about the 7 year mark her younger sister and my dad both got cancer. Her sister died in January of 07 and my Dad died in March. All of my plans and MB stuff had to stop as I was taking care of kids while she was taking care of her sister, and afterward, I had to spend some time with my dad before he died.

Then things got worse. Since she hated my folks and the area I grew up in, I visited my dying father and buried him without any assistance from her. She didn�t go with me for any of it � not even the disposal of his estate, which was a lot of work. My brother brought his wife and kids from Europe for over a month to assist with it (it was a mess and we could not leave it all to my mom and sister to deal with).

At the funeral, my HS sweetheart showed up with her folks. I had known her from grade school, and they were friends of the family. Seeing as I had not spoken to her in 20 years (folks and siblings had), it did not seem like such a big deal to me. In the course of catching up we talked about our marriages and how great hers was and how crappy mine was. She gave me a 5 step program sure to fix my marriage. After all, she said, I had to be reading things all wrong. I am a great guy, great looking, and any woman would be totally thrilled to be married to me.

So I went back home and did everything I could to make her love me. More house work, lots of time together, date nights, etc. Over the course of the summer we made love (awkward love) three times. But where things had been sanitary but stable for some time (no sex prior for nearly 2 years) they now got very contentious. She again became aggressive towards me frequently. She began to accuse me of trying to �F##k her every time I tried to do something nice for her. Most of the time, I really did not have any intention of initiating any intimacy (at least not immediately). I also noticed that she was very careful not to be undressed around me. She would get up early and change her clothes before I got up, or take showers when I was not around. This may have been going on all along, but I only noticed it after she started accusing me of sexual advances when actually, they were just simple acts of kindness.

On New Years Eve 2007, our neighbors were having a party. My wife did not want to go, and my son was being punished, but my daughter (6 at the time) wanted to go because other neighborhood kids were going to be there. So I took her. At 9:00, my son calls to tell me that it was time to go home. Of course, the wife put him up to it as she is �friends� with the neighbors and it would seem pretty S#!tty if she had called to put an end to the party for us. I didn�t take it too seriously, but told him we would be leaving soon. At 9:30 he called back and after I got on the phone, the wife speaks up and berates me and insists we come home immediately. So we did � after some fighting with the daughter that did not want to leave her friends for what she thought was no reason.

When I got home, she rushed the kids to bed and insisted I stay downstairs for a talking. During the conversation, she became as irate and nasty as I had ever seen her. She talked, and I listened. I also took notes so I could update the journal (she did not like this, but didn�t hold back a wit � even as I asked for clarification of some of the more outlandish accusations and facts she felt compelled to list to me. The following were her main points:

1. She hates me and always has.
2. All other men she had ever been with were upstanding and hot guys the likes of which I could never measure up to.
3. Whenever she had told me that she loved me, she was lying to avoid conflict to try to achieve some sort of peace.
4. From the beginning, whenever she appeared to be pleased physically by me she was faking.
5. She swore never to have sex with me again. (She had done that before, but I was always persistent enough to change her mind after a year or two.)

I never figured out what prompted this, but I was terribly hurt. Since I could not sleep and didn�t have anything that needed to be done the next day, I just left and went to my office to make the journal entry and review my data that had been collected for roughly the previous three years.

I concluded that my inklings about her physical dissatisfaction with me were correct from the beginning, and she was probably being truthful about what she had said. In fact the most consistent things she had ever told me were those that were said in the duress of her �Blowups�.

I concluded the following from all of my notes:
1. She found me socially acceptable from the time we met.
2. While physically attracted to the �Wild Boys�, she at 34 years of age had learned that they were no good for marriage.
3. She longed for the �Norman Rockwell� marriage to a church going man from a stable family and background.
4. With the biological clock ticking, I was just the ticket.
5. Not being terribly worldly, I was easier to fool than a more successful man of our age that had already been married and understood women better. He would be more likely to recognize the �faking�.
6. She probably figured that with time, she might learn to love me or at least enjoy the suburban lifestyle she figured I represented.
7. The pressures of reality probably did her in. She could not hold up the ruse with me constantly in the home with her, and the pressure that I put on her � and perhaps her own guilt when I was not pressuring her. In the end, the whole thing just made her so mad that she became impossible to live with. She began to hate me personally, and takes it out on everything that has anything to do with me � my family, where I am from, my business, my friends.

That was over three years ago. I seriously considered divorcing her then. But I was too busy to work through it, and did not want to do something rash. So I did something even more rash. I wrote to that old girlfriend and told her how well her plan worked out. That started an EA that soon developed into a PA, and has continued to this day. It has been over three years now for that affair.

So now, I have very little marriage (but it is actually better than it has ever been), I am in nearly constant personal torment about being an adulterer, and I am ruining another man�s marriage. Or I have ruined it. I am more miserable about that than my own marriage. At least my marriage has not suffered from this thing � it has improved.

Some other things I have learned or proven: Since that New Years Eve thing, I have not once even hinted at intimacy with my wife. I don�t go into the bathroom when I know she is showering or dressing. If I give her a hug, I do so when we are in public or the kids are around. If I give her a massage, I make sure the kids are there to help me with it, and never in the evening. She has not had a really bad episode since then.

There was a time when she complained constantly about my work and my business. This was before the New Years Eve episode. I told her that I would talk to my partner about giving him my shares and just becoming an employee. That way I could be home regularly for meals and I would not have to travel so much. She IMMEDIATELY called me off that. Said something like �well, wait a minute, I don�t think you should do something rash like that�.� The problem was that the salary and draws that go along with ownership would go away, and she likes the money.

So this past fall after she had once again threatened to financially ruin me again for the 70th time I seriously investigated divorce and attorneys. I bear her no malice, but I generally have my ducks in a row before I do anything. In repeated conversations regarding financial issues (things are not terrible, but with the economy, they are not what they were a few years ago) I finally told her that whatever we do financially, she has to consider how she will do if I am not around. It is something that every woman has to consider � men die � or leave after 13 years of abuse. I finally told her that I had been considering divorce and had investigated it. I assured her that in our state, there was a pretty cut and dry formula that could be fought, but in the end you spend a lot of money to arrive at the formula. The formula would likely support her well for a while, but eventually the support runs out and she has to find some way to support herself when it does. And the property is not worth what it used to be � no getting rich and retiring from that. She seemed crushed. She accused me of �blindsiding� her. I assured her that it was no �blindside�. I was honestly discussing it with her so she could be prepared.

In conversations since then, I have learned the following:
1. The only thing she hates more than me is work.
2. She will never willfully divorce me � even if she found out about the affair.

So where does this leave me now? I care for my wife. I liken it to a relationship with a quarrelsome older sister. Any of you that have older sisters know what I am talking about:
1. They don�t respect you. No matter what you do, they are always smarter and know better than you do. (Contrast this with younger sisters that idolize their older brothers.)
2. You don�t have sex with them. EVER. The thought never crosses my mind any more. It is a combination of conditioning over 13 years, her physical changes, and the fact that the old girlfriend is terribly hot.
3. You do love them, and enjoy their company in small doses. Often you even have very common interests and spend your time around these. Other places are off limits you will just argue for no reason.

So why am I posting here? If there is a way to have a marriage like the ones I read of here (some of them make me so jealous I just get pissed off) I want to try to find a way to that.

I know this affair has to end as it is poison to my soul and is killing me. I know it is also killing my lover although she never admits it. I have tried to discuss this with her � even tried to get her to read the MB articles � but she is addicted to this thing and cannot see past it or the damage it is doing to both of us. My conscience torments me constantly. Even when it is not emotionally attacking me, my mind knows what I am and I hate it. There was a peace when I just had a rotten marriage. Now there is no peace.

The infidelity articles and remedies here are so spot on it is unbelievable. If I were not having an affair, I might not believe how accurate they are. I seriously consider implementing Plan A on myself, but it seems insane. How can I send an NC letter to my lover and copy her husband and family (as well as my wife and her family) on it. The shock and shame factor would be lost as well.

Somehow, I don�t think any of them would believe it. They all know me (and her) too well (or I guess not well enough). And honestly, with the exception of my MIL, kids, and her husband, they would probably applaud the mutual destruction of our marriages and find sport in the novel way in which I did it. Her family always loved me, and my FIL has a pretty good idea of what I have been dealing with � my MIL is more hateful than my wife.

The other alternative is to just get caught by leaving clues and then point my wife to MB and beg her not to implement Plan A. Anything but Plan A. The fact is that she would probably just yell at me, call me a hypocrite, threaten to REALLY cut off sex, and force me to stop seeing her. She would probably not tell anyone for her own personal shame in it (having a cheating husband). And I would eventually tell her that I had stopped, but I would be lying. Nothing would change.

I truly want to stop the affair and can probably do it. But the thing I cannot seem to bring myself to is wanting to fix my marriage. I have forgiven my wife for all of the crap (so long as I don�t dwell on the past like I did in this post). But, how do I want to try to make things better. Can I ever really enjoy being with her when I know how she feels about me? Can her feelings for me really change? How do I know if they have? Do I retire and put her on strict austerity measures (she would hate that, and if it got so bad that she would rather work, she would be gone).

I have 9 year old twins that love our family. They love everything about it. My daughter cries when I go out of town on business because she won�t get her snugs for a week. She drew a picture of our family on my white board in the office. I have to do something to fix all of this.

Any critique and suggestions are welcome. I am going to buy the books and start reading.

Welcome to MB Spike. You are not here by accident. You KNOW what you're doing is wrong. Please listen carefully to what is being said to you. A lot of waywards who first come here only hear what offends them. We (as in people) all do that pretty much at first, but if we're honest with ourselves, we admit the truth of what is being said to us. The truth is hard to hear sometimes.

I guess I'm not understanding why you married your BW after all the red flags.

Get this. No matter how bad your marriage is/was, having an affair just adds that much more pain to an already broken marriage. The right thing to do would have been to divorce her, instead of cheating on her. But you know that. The best thing to do is to get serious about your marriage. Either go "all in" or "all out". MB can help you with the "all in" and we can even help you with the "all out" but what we can't help you with is if you want to continue to lie and cheat and somehow stay in your marriage.

Your OW is not wonderful. She is a woman who is willing to cheat with another woman's husband. What does that say about her? What does that say about you?

You CAN get help here. It won't feel good, but sometimes you have to go through the fire to get to the jewel inside.

Read the book.

No matter how awful your wife is, she deserves to know what is going on in her life. She may be to blame for a lot of your marital problems, but you sir, are to blame for heaping even more trouble into the marriage.

BTW, how did you meet your wife? Was she still married when you met?

Please stick around and learn. It will change your life if you open your heart to the truth.

One thing I love about MB is that most of us are not afraid to call BS when we read it. There won't be coddling but you won't find a better bunch of people to support you if you're honest and truly seeking redemption.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
J
J
Spike,

Welcome to MB, you have found the right place to turn your life around.
I read through your story and thought about the process of a marriage and all the things that happen, I bet you could write another story that is just as long with all the positives in your marriage, but you have chosen to just focus on what is wrong, you seem to have a long check list of things that your wife does/did wrong.
I think if you are honest with yourself you could also write all the things that maybe your didn't provide for her, maybe she was just reacting to the situation at hand and her feelings at the time...........
Having an affair only added to your list and I'm sure she also felt the differences in you I'm sure you just ignored her needs and lived your life with the OW.
What makes you think that you had the right to sleep with someone else's wife?
Why do you think that the OW's husband don't deserve any respect from you, It's not right that you think you are more important than he is................your wife might not have been perfect but neither are you..........did she have an affair?
If you have any shot at fixing this, you need to step up to the plate and do everything in your power to change who you are and set things right, stop seeing the OW, apologize the OW's husband, be honest with your wife and tell her that you have conducted yourself in a manner you are not proud of......
Then you start fixing all the things that are wrong in the marriage, you get a new attitude, the one you should have had all along, you open up communication and affection and start there, the rest will fall into place, if it's real it will feel real to your wife and she will respond.........you have let this marriage go in the ditch, it's now up to you to fix it, your children deserve a better life, with loving parents............
Be that loving man, be selfless, understanding and compassionate........

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
S
OP Offline
S
Sunny,

Thanks, perspective like the one you bring is of interest to me.

One of the problems I have had with ending the affair is that the other woman is an old friend. Her Aunt and Unkle are the only ones that know of this thing. When I learned that she had told them (out of personal dispare and guilt I suppose) I immediately thought that she/they would become agents working to extract her from this destructive cycle. That did not happen.

I have done my best to eliminate any degree of fantasy from this thing with regard to the other woman's perspective. She is fully aware that her husband is not ar fault for this, and that there is no "Happy Ending" in our futures from this.

I eve pointed her to this website a few years ago so that she could read that her reaction to the affair is typical, and can actually be recovered from. She would have no part of it.

That has made the whole "Ending it" thing nearly impossible. I sense that I will have to have her husband's help with it. That is a very unsavory possibility.

I have even considered talking ot one of her brothers about it, But since she is the "Older Sister", I doubt the effectiveness of that as well.

P
P
Your OW has NOTHING whatsoever to do with what YOU can do to end this. How? You end it, confess to your wife, promise to yourself and your wife that there will be no contact with OW for the rest of your life. What OW does or doesn't do has no place in your marriage.

Last edited by princessmeggy; 02/11/11 10:24 AM.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
That has made the whole "Ending it" thing nearly impossible. I sense that I will have to have her husband's help with it. That is a very unsavory possibility.
Come on, Spike. You're a big boy. You're not helpless. It's up to YOU to end it. Not OW.

Sure, having to involve with another woman's husband to 'help' you end your affair with his wife is unsavory! It could be physically dangerous as well. That's the risk you run when you engage in an affair - the legitimate partner just might have a little problem with it.

You are defaulting to a state of inaction because you don't want to act. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the skank you're bedding.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
Ask H1 if so, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that's why H1 divorced NJW, nut job wife.

So what? Who cares? I mean, if women need to offer their DH's DNA tests, then why does this man's wife's personality even factor into HIS A?

A
A
Spike,

Your words from yesterday:

"I truly want to stop the affair and can probably do it."

So "just do it". You don't need OW or OWH to end the affair. You just need to man up and do the right thing. Simple, but not easy.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
Originally Posted by SpikeRemote
One of the problems I have had with ending the affair is that the other woman is an old friend. Her Aunt and Unkle are the only ones that know of this thing. When I learned that she had told them (out of personal dispare and guilt I suppose) I immediately thought that she/they would become agents working to extract her from this destructive cycle. That did not happen.

Everyone needs to know about the affair. Starting with your victims, your wife and her husband. The more people who know, the more people to hold you accountable. That is where I would start: tell your wife and then end all contact for life with this skank with a no contact letter. Real simple. Just do it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation