Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
OP Offline
H
I m a wife who had a one time affair. My husband said he read on this website it is good for the husband to tell everyone (parents, children, friends, etc.) about the affair so it won't happen again. In other words, public humiliation. I have never heard of this. I would think that would make the relationship even worse between the husband & wife and 2 be honest with you, it's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Has there been something posted in regards to this. I've been looking and haven't been able to find anything. Thank you

N
N
Originally Posted by Humility
I m a wife who had a one time affair. My husband said he read on this website it is good for the husband to tell everyone (parents, children, friends, etc.) about the affair so it won't happen again. In other words, public humiliation. I have never heard of this. I would think that would make the relationship even worse between the husband & wife and 2 be honest with you, it's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Has there been something posted in regards to this. I've been looking and haven't been able to find anything. Thank you

Humility

Welcome. Hope this newsletter helps. Also I would suggest reading the basic concepts of the site. They are right at the center top of the page in the red part.

Hope this helps.

Newsletter-Exposure

nESRE

Last edited by nesre; 03/10/11 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
A
A
Yes, it is standard operating procedure to expose the affair to family and friends of both the wandering spouse (WS) and the affair partner (AP).

I would think that would make the relationship even worse between the husband & wife and 2 be honest with you, it's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Don't think that you could make things much worse than with an affair and some of the dumbest things that I've ever heard are the BS excuses waywards use to justify what they did/are doing.

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
D
D
Humility, when was your affair? When and how did it end?

My husband's affair was 10 years ago, but I learned about it last year. Even though the affair was done and over with for years, we still decided to expose it to our children, family members and some friends.

It was the right thing to do for many reasons.

Here's more from Dr. Harley:

Even if exposure were to be ineffective in ending an affair, I'd recommend it anyway. The betrayed spouse needs as much support as possible, and exposure helps friends and relatives understand what's going on. Keeping an affair secret is no real help to anyone. But I've been amazed at how well it dismantles the illusion that affairs rest upon. Instead of assuming that the relationship is made in heaven, an unfaithful spouse quickly senses that it's a one-way ticket to hell on earth.

FBW in recovery
M
M
Welcome to Marriage Builders, Humility.

Question: What is a 'one time affair'? You mean, like, a one night stand? Or a ten-year affair with one person? I'm not sure what your definition is of a "one time affair."

Yes, exposure is recommended. It isn't intended as public humiliation so much as "public accountability." The more people who know about the affair, the more people to help keep you accountable in your faithfulness to your husband.

Does your husband post here?

Do you have any other questions?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

N
N
Your situation is a slightly "bass-ackwards" approach to infidelity recovery, in that the usual question is broached to this board by a distraught BS. The theory, and experience here, is that the more people who have influence with the WS who can be made aware of the situation, and bring their negative judgment and counsel to bear on that person, the more effective the withdrawal from the affair, and the resolution not to repeat that mistake, will be. While there is, without doubt, a certain discomfort associated with the exercise, it has been shown to be remarkably effective in ending affairs and initiating recoveries. It is NOT intended as a punishment, or punitive in any way. It is lifting the veil of secrecy and deception under which affairs can be carried out, or prolonged.

So, if your husband were to solicit advice from us, this is what we would urge him to do.

H
OP Offline
H
Well, apparently I am the only person who things it is wrong in airing their dirty laundry to "everyone" - even people in a bar situation that could care less and probably have had one themselves. Are any of you familiar with the steps in AA? Step # 5 is to admit to God, to ourselves and to another human being (which is your sponsor) the exact nature of our wrongs. Step 8 is to make a list of all persons we had harmed and become willing to make amends to them all. Step 9 says it all, [b]"make direct amends to such people wherever possible, EXCEPT WHEN TO DO SO WOULD INJURE THEM OR OTHERS. That statement doesn't mean physically/bodily hurt them, it means to hurt them spiritually or give their heart pain, when all it is going to do is keep the wound open instead of trying to help them heal. Amends have already been made to the partner and it is totally up 2 them as 2 whether or not to accept them as Step 7 says "Humbly asked "HIM"/God to remove our shortcomings. I certainly don't feel like I need to make amends to barflies or to inlaws or relatives I see every 3-5 years at funerals or weddings. Try walking a mile in my shoes before you condem. I still think it would do no good to expose it...most people probably know or "think" they know anyway. I could care less about friends and acquaintences but as far as family members go, I feel it would just bring a lot of resentment to both families and to be perfectly honest with all of you it is just plain none of their business. A person doesn't just go out and decide "hey, I think I'll have an affair today". BTW, I have read the posts in this forum and that is the reason for this reply. There are many, many reasons a person, man or woman has an affair and I am certainly not saying it is wrong but everyone has a different story why they did and who are we/anyone to judge what those reasons are, it absolutely isn't, it is up to our Higher Power!

D
D
Fine, don't expose. Nobody's condemning you. To make such a statement is ludicrous.

FBW in recovery
M
M
Who is condemning you, Humility?

D-Day 2-10-2009

D
D
Humility, does your husband want to expose your affair?

Is that what this debate is really about?

FBW in recovery
H
OP Offline
H
Dear Never Guessed - no offense was intended by the post and words like BS are really not necessary. If he wants to solicit advise from you, that is his business and he certainly can. I am just expressing "MY" opinion and if that is wrong then I am plainly on the wrong website. Apparently it is just for the righteous and not the wrong doers. It's too bad because everyone has their own opinion and apprently you are so onesided you can only see your side.

D
D
Apparently it is just for the righteous and not the wrong doers.

On the contrary, there are many, many former adulterers on this site.

If you'd like, we can direct you to their threads. They may be very helpful for you to read.

Our main goal is to encourage each other to restore and maintain romantic love in our marriages.

FBW in recovery
N
N
Good question MB.

Try walking a mile in my shoes before you condem. I still think it would do no good to expose it...most people probably know or "think" they know anyway. I could care less about friends and acquaintences but as far as family members go, I feel it would just bring a lot of resentment to both families and to be perfectly honest with all of you it is just plain none of their business.

Exposure is meant to be with people who would help influence the stop of the A. Maybe like some of the people who witnessed your blessed wedding day......

nESRE

M
M
Humility, I noticed people asked you some questions which I don't think you answered:

Originally Posted by Delta_
Humility, when was your affair? When and how did it end?

Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Welcome to Marriage Builders, Humility.

Question: What is a 'one time affair'? You mean, like, a one night stand? Or a ten-year affair with one person? I'm not sure what your definition is of a "one time affair."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
OP Offline
H
no debate, I can see it was a mistake to become a member here. I was not looking for someone to tell me I was full of BS and made ludicrous statements. All I was looking for was guidance and expressed my own opinion on the subject. I certainly am not condemming you of your opinions "Delta" or "Marital Bliss" . I simply asking what people on this site thought ... guess I found out. I will not be logging on this site again just to hear opinions from very narrow minded people. Good luck in your marriages. I sure they will be long and fruitful.

M
M
There are many, many reasons a person, man or woman has an affair and I am certainly not saying it is wrong but everyone has a different story why they did and who are we/anyone to judge what those reasons are, it absolutely isn't, it is up to our Higher Power!
Oh, goodness, Humility. I don't believe anyone is condemning you. Many of our posters have been where you are. We want to help you. Do you have any questions we can answer? What can we do to help you?

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
[b]"make direct amends to such people wherever possible, EXCEPT WHEN TO DO SO WOULD INJURE THEM OR OTHERS. That statement doesn't mean physically/bodily hurt them, it means to hurt them spiritually or give their heart pain, when all it is going to do is keep the wound open instead of trying to help them heal.

I feel it would just bring a lot of resentment to both families

It's interesting that in your first post, you said that the problem with exposure was that it was "public humiliation" in your opinion. In other words, it was a problem because it would hurt YOU.

But now, in this post, you are saying that the problem is that it would hurt OTHERS.

Since your reasons keep changing, it makes me suspect that you aren't being honest with yourself.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
N
Humility

Did you mistake NG's BS as saying your full of it?

BS=Betrayed Spouse

M
M
I was not looking for someone to tell me I was full of BS

Interesting ... sounds like maybe you didn't read closely. I think someone told you he had heard a lot of BS from wayward spouses, but I don't see anyone telling you you are full of BS.

You are obviously full of anger and harshness, though. Honest truth.

I certainly am not condemming you of your opinions "Delta" or "Marital Bliss" .

I will not be logging on this site again just to hear opinions from very narrow minded people.

I don't see how you can call people narrow minded but also say you aren't condemning their opinions.

N
N
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Your situation is a slightly "bass-ackwards" approach to infidelity recovery, in that the usual question is broached to this board by a

distraught BS.==> Distraught Betrayed Spouse

The theory, and experience here, is that the more people who have influence with the WS who can be made aware of the situation, and bring their negative judgment and counsel to bear on that person, the more effective the withdrawal from the affair, and the resolution not to repeat that mistake, will be. While there is, without doubt, a certain discomfort associated with the exercise, it has been shown to be remarkably effective in ending affairs and initiating recoveries. It is NOT intended as a punishment, or punitive in any way. It is lifting the veil of secrecy and deception under which affairs can be carried out, or prolonged.

So, if your husband were to solicit advice from us, this is what we would urge him to do.

Last edited by nesre; 03/10/11 06:15 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 377 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation