Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Can you tell us how long your A was? Who was OM? Coworker? Has ALL contact (FB/email/work/anything!) ended? How many ddays has your BH experienced?

These Qs may help us understand your situation better. Thanks.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Originally Posted by Humility
no debate, I can see it was a mistake to become a member here. I was not looking for someone to tell me I was full of BS and made ludicrous statements. All I was looking for was guidance and expressed my own opinion on the subject. I certainly am not condemming you of your opinions "Delta" or "Marital Bliss" . I simply asking what people on this site thought ... guess I found out. I will not be logging on this site again just to hear opinions from very narrow minded people. Good luck in your marriages. I sure they will be long and fruitful.
What did we say that was narrow minded?

Please tell your husband: I give him kudos for finding this site and reading here. Many betrayed spouses simply leave their marriages. He seems to be one who wants to save his. You and he are both welcome to come here to learn more about having a fantastic marriage.

Good luck, Humility!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
OP Offline
H
actually "public humiliation" is the term used by my husband, perhaps HE got the words incorrect in your writings.

I am at the point in AA that is is ALL ABOUT ME! and trying to stay sober. I am quoting the steps because I am trying to live them.

Markos, I am not full of anger or harshness. I am living the truth. It was admitted, it was admitted to another human being, it is being wrapped in a warm blanket and handed over to God as he is the honest truth, not any of us.

Are any of you recovered alcoholics or in the AA program? I would really like to hear their side. Not that I'm not listening and taking all of your opinions to heart as I said I just don't believe in "public humiliation" to people I may see at weddings or funerals who don't know my situation at all. After 26 years of marriage NESRE and talking to "many" individuals about the whole situation which would take 26 years to make you understand, there were none who felt "public humiliation" would benefit anyone. If anything it would make the person who made the mistake feel unwelcome/unwanted wherever she (I) go within the families, around friends of "his", etc. I have enough on my plate dealing with my sobriety than to worry about what people think about an affair. I did not join to create a huge debate on this subject. But it is nice to see that no one agrees with me so that will surely make my husband happy. All I am saying, is public "humiliation" may have worked for all of you but it will head directly to divorce court for me

Happy marriage to all of you. I will log in again after you have had 26 years of marriage and many stumbling blocks in your lives and see where all of you are in your marital bliss (like the day I got married). Sorry I ever logged on.

M
M
Well, apparently I am the only person who things it is wrong in airing their dirty laundry to "everyone" - even people in a bar situation that could care less and probably have had one themselves. Are any of you familiar with the steps in AA? Step # 5 is to admit to God, to ourselves and to another human being (which is your sponsor) the exact nature of our wrongs. Step 8 is to make a list of all persons we had harmed and become willing to make amends to them all. Step 9 says it all, [b]"make direct amends to such people wherever possible, EXCEPT WHEN TO DO SO WOULD INJURE THEM OR OTHERS.

It is wayward thinking, though, to presume that exposure "injures" them or others. It does not. Exposure is therapeutic to the wayward. On what grounds would you assert that exposure "injures" anyone? I would like to see you defend that assertion.

There are many, many reasons a person, man or woman has an affair and I am certainly not saying it is wrong but everyone has a different story why they did and who are we/anyone to judge what those reasons are, it absolutely isn't, it is up to our Higher Power!

You mean there are many different EXCUSES that a person has an affair? There is no justification for an affair. None. And of course we can "judge" that adultery is immoral.

If you cannot judge right from wrong, you are not safe. Our prisons are full of folks who can't judge right from wrong, and that is right where they belong.

However, it can't go unmentioned that you don't really have anything against judging at all since you are judging people here. Your claim to be against "judgment" is dishonest and hypocritical.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
actually "public humiliation" is the term used by my husband, perhaps HE got the words incorrect in your writings.

He most certainly did.

Sounds like both of you might have a problem with listening closely.

You might not want to hear me say it, but it might really help you to work on that.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

Exposure is not humiliating at all. What is humiliating is adultery. And it should be humiliating! If you aren't humilated, then you might be a sociopath! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Happy marriage to all of you. I will log in again after you have had 26 years of marriage and many stumbling blocks in your lives and see where all of you are in your marital bliss (like the day I got married). Sorry I ever logged on.

God forgive you, Humility, this is a really really mean thing to say to maritalbliss, who has been through all the hell of an affair.

You can say you are not full of meanness and harshness all you want, but we can see when you say mean and harsh things to people who only want to help you, like maritalbliss. She absolutely does not deserve that from you, and I hope you will make amends.

Yes, there are many people here who have been through AA. And even some of us who can't can spot a dry drunk.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
There are many, many reasons a person, man or woman has an affair and I am certainly not saying it is wrong but everyone has a different story why they did and who are we/anyone to judge what those reasons are, it absolutely isn't, it is up to our Higher Power!

Not really. There is only one "reason". Poor boundaries.

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
M
M
You shore don't sound very "humble" to me, "humility." Seems like you don't live up to your name very well, hun.

Exposure 101

M
M
Does your husband post here? This is one question that was asked of you that you didn't answer.

Is he reading this thread?

Can we persuade him to post here and give us his side of the story?

M
M
Your name is making me laugh...is this a joke?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
S
S
Humility, you have just proven the whole purpose of exposure - to help the WS defog because...you sound VERY foggy!

It is very alarming that you don't seem to want to talk about how you are helping your H overcome the damage from your A. Again, not what we would expect from a repentant FWS whose focus is to recover the marriage.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
All I am saying, is public "humiliation" may have worked for all of you but it will head directly to divorce court for me

What is that sound??? grin click here

Exposure 101

J
J

I'm only at 22 years. I guess my "stumbling blocks" don't count?

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
M
M
You aren't mean or harsh, but you ignore the questions people ask you, you call people narrow-minded, you say horribly mean things to maritalbliss. You call people's statements ludicrous when you've barely bothered to read what they are saying.

None of that is mean or harsh?

M
M
Originally Posted by markos

God forgive you, Humility, this is a really really mean thing to say to maritalbliss, who has been through all the hell of an affair.

You can say you are not full of meanness and harshness all you want, but we can see when you say mean and harsh things to people who only want to help you, like maritalbliss. She absolutely does not deserve that from you, and I hope you will make amends.

Humility this was just absolutely uncalled for, and I hope you'll think about that. People have been through all the hell of an affair (some wayward, some betrayed), and then they give of themselves and of their time to try to help people, and they give you their opinions (you said you wanted guidance) and they are really nice about it, and then you jump all over them and mock them and make fun of them and call them naive and wish trouble upon their marriages like you did for maritalbliss, here.

I'm appalled.

I hope when you are genuinely walking the AA steps that you will consider making some sort of amends, here. There are real people writing to you, people with feelings, people who don't deserve this. When they are only trying to help you.

M
M
Originally Posted by HumilityNOT
All I am saying, is public "humiliation" may have worked for all of you but it will head directly to divorce court for me

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley
While it�s true that unfaithful spouses usually feel betrayed and angry when their affair is exposed, I regard that reaction as being part of the fog that most addicts experience. When the fog has finally lifted, and the source of addiction no longer has control, the value of exposure is usually conceded by the addict himself. here

Hear dat sound? grin

Exposure 101

M
M

Why would exposure cause your husband to divorce you?

F
F
no debate, I can see it was a mistake to become a member here. I was not looking for someone to tell me I was full of BS and made ludicrous statements. All I was looking for was guidance and expressed my own opinion on the subject. I certainly am not condemming you of your opinions "Delta" or "Marital Bliss" . I simply asking what people on this site thought ... guess I found out. I will not be logging on this site again just to hear opinions from very narrow minded people. Good luck in your marriages. I sure they will be long and fruitful.
This is what happens when people register on a forum without first reading about it to get an understanding of what's being said.

"BS" is not an indictment of you or your posts, it is simply one of the acronyms used here. It stands for "Betrayed Spouse."

Might I suggest you click on the links in my signature and get real familiar -- real fast -- with this site? Otherwise, the tenor of the posts will start degenerating even more quickly.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
T
T
Okay, Humility, count me as a FWW. My A was in 2006. I confessed to DH, and then we told both our families, our children, some friends who would support us, our pastors, and my administrators (because the OM was a former worker there and had come around to "visit").

Exposure as Harley uses it is for the purpose of breaking up an affair. After the affair has ended...retroactive exposure is not clearly specified, except that I believe children should know, there should be some support in place, and if the OP was married that spouse needs to know. I do not think you need to go around to every person you know and say "I cheated. It's over, but I thought you should know," and Dr Harley does NOT say to do this.

But I can tell you that having family and friends support your M rebuilding is extremely valuable, and keeping it from children is just cruel. Beyond that....there really isn't anything that is cut and dried...just really strong opinions.

I look at it this way. Because I am not that woman anymore, I don't feel the need to inform everyone I come into contact with. But if I encounter someone who might benefit from our struggle, I will not hesitate to share it. Did I lose a couple of friends when we were honest about my A back in 2006? Yeah. But the vast majority of people were on the side of our M and really helped us. And having my bosses know protected me from a surprise appearance of the OM. And it was good accountability.

And finally, I had just run over my DH with a giant wayward truck. If having some people know what was going on for support was going to help him....why WOULDN'T I want to do that? Is my "pride" and "good name," which I had chosen to mess up with my A, meant more to me than DH.....well that's just sad.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 500 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation