Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Originally Posted by mindshare
The board is blessed to have you!

And you as well.
kiss

H
H
Originally Posted by mindshare
I just want to say thanks for being here Pep. You have so much wisdom...

That's 'cause when God said "Let there be light," she hit the switch!...

*scurries away*

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband
[quote=MarriedForever]

I think there are SOME personality traits that puts people at risk.
People pleasers.
Renters who have made years of lousy sacrificing.
Conflict avoiders.
I'm sure there are more.

Check, check and check. You nailed it.

H
H
Oh... crap.

Let's see, I can definitely be;

A people pleaser, quite possibly a renter (though it's the years of lousy sacrifice that fits more), and a conflict avoider.

The only thing that kept me from straying was full recognition that I was vulnerable to it, and ownership of that fact. I coupled that with forward thinking, and realizing that my actions would definitely affect my W as well as my feelings for my W.

However, none of that stopped me from withering and withdrawing.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, none of it is good.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Wow. This thread has been great, thus far. Pep, you are truly a gift to the board.

So, if I can chime in... to what extent do you think ignorance has to do with the beginning of an A? Ignorance on how romantic love is created, and ignorance regarding the normal ups and downs of marriage.

My W stated specifically during the A, that she needed to keep seeing POSOM to "figure out whether her feelings were real or not" (and of course they "were real" after she spent more and more time with him). I know at the time she really meant that, but I wonder if now she's still using that as justification so she doesn't have to delve inward and face the real betrayal of self she initiated.

Oh, and on betraying God... my W and I went to church together a few weeks ago for the first time since her A. She was so uncomfortable, and literally squirmed in her seat so much, a lady in the pew behind us gently put a hand on her shoulder and said "Are you all right, dear?" WW had to leave several times to "use the restroom." My siblings joked that she had to stay away from church, because she'd probably burst into flames as soon as she walked in. Hehe.

BS: Me, 27
WS: Her, 24
EA: October
PA: 11/22/10
Moved out 12/3/10
Moved back in mid-January.

In tentative recovery. Is that the sun I see, breaking through the fog?
V
V
Originally Posted by StuckWaiting
... to what extent do you think ignorance has to do with the beginning of an A? Ignorance on how romantic love is created, and ignorance regarding the normal ups and downs of marriage.

Ooh, I'd say quite a bit in many cases. I'd say ignorance/immaturity can certainly be a factor. If you throw poor or nonexistent boundaries into the mix, you've got a recipe for disaster.

My W stated specifically during the A, that she needed to keep seeing POSOM to "figure out whether her feelings were real or not" (and of course they "were real" after she spent more and more time with him). I know at the time she really meant that, but I wonder if now she's still using that as justification so she doesn't have to delve inward and face the real betrayal of self she initiated.

We know feelings are mutable. We know basing actions solely on feelings is what got us all here in the first place, (whether as the perpetrators or the victims). Who was your W during the A? Was she a noble, morally upright, good person? Were her feelings the feelings of someone right with themselves and God and the rest of the world? We all know the answer is no. Why would she want to hold onto that as "real" or "true" or however she may be thinking of it? If your W is using her "real feelings" as justification for her affair, I hope she learns that no matter how real they were, they didn't make her affair okay, and that there are fundamental issues she needs to address to prevent anything like that happening again.

I'm not a wise one here, but those are my thoughts.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
P
P
So, if I can chime in... to what extent do you think ignorance has to do with the beginning of an A? Ignorance on how romantic love is created, and ignorance regarding the normal ups and downs of marriage.

HUGE! Ignorance is not bliss.

My W stated specifically during the A, that she needed to keep seeing POSOM to "figure out whether her feelings were real or not" (and of course they "were real" after she spent more and more time with him).
rotflmao "feelings are real" always cracks me up rotflmao

Feelings just ARE.
They have no IQ.
They have no reality.

For example:

People can have unfounded fears.
Fear that a small innocent spider might chase them down the hall and BITE them!

Their feeling of fear is damn real Skippy!
Their heart pounds.
Their palms sweat.
All the real feelings one could hope for.
But, that real fear is not a fact.
The fact is that no little spider will chase someone down the hall to bite them.
Spiders mostly want to be left alone.

ALL feelings are real.
No feeling has an IQ.

Oh, and on betraying God... my W and I went to church together a few weeks ago for the first time since her A. She was so uncomfortable, and literally squirmed in her seat so much, a lady in the pew behind us gently put a hand on her shoulder and said "Are you all right, dear?" WW had to leave several times to "use the restroom." My siblings joked that she had to stay away from church, because she'd probably burst into flames as soon as she walked in. Hehe.

[Linked Image from lee.org]

That image is from the "Burning Man" event, in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada

My WH was my "godparent" as I was preparing for my baptism.
The entire time he was supposed to be my spiritual mentor, he was screwing OW and drinking more alcohol as a result.

This was just "one of" my major beefs after D day.
I felt my baptism had been tainted.
My Deacon Jack (God love the Irish Deacons) straightened me out.
He told Mr Pep ( and this is a direct quote ) "You're a jack-ask."
Only he did not say ask. Yanno?

rotflmao

P
P
My siblings joked that she had to stay away from church, because she'd probably burst into flames as soon as she walked in. Hehe.

rotflmao rotflmao

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
T
T
Fear that a small innocent spider might chase them down the hall and BITE them!

This is a very legitimate fear. Spiders are evil. Very very very evil.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation