Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
Originally Posted by nelsonak
Do I just keep meeting her needs and hope she develops the desire?

Yes, that's my understanding of it: she may need to feel that emotional connection with you before she's overcome with desire for you.

Somewhere (maybe the Q&A column?) Dr. Harley comments that, in most cases, sexual issues resolve themselves as the marriage improves. Maybe someone can find a link?

But, if she's bought books on the subject, I'm assuming y'all have talked about it and I'd say you're on track...wish my wife did that wink

Take care, Nelsonak, good to have you here.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by SusieQ
1) NC letter
2) EPs, in WRITTEN form to your satisfaction
3) FB account closed...

One question: Was your WW's phone # ever changed or did she switch phones with you?

Just to follow up with you SusieQ, she is writing up the NC letter that I will send out. I have a list of EPs in my hand that are very thorough and well done, imo. I can always add to them if I feel something is lacking or missing. We are following HoldHerHand's suggestion about operating FB under EPs and POJA. We went through her entire profile yesterday removing people and updating privacy settings, etc.. and I will continue to check it going forward.

I have been checking her phone, and the details on our provider's website. We also went over to an AT&T store this afternoon and had the number on it changed.

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
N
OP Offline
N
I have question. Since we changed my wife's phone number today, I will have to let my parents know the new number. They'll obviously ask why. They don't know about the affair, do I even tell them, or just say we had to get it changed?

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
B
B
Maybe I missed this but have you exposed this affair to the OM's wife? It is absolutely essential that you do this. In addition, your wife and yourself must be tested for STD's. If the roles had been reversed and you had put your wife's health at risk for STD's do you think she would have been as accepting as you have been? I wish you luck.

M
M
I have question. Since we changed my wife's phone number today, I will have to let my parents know the new number. They'll obviously ask why. They don't know about the affair, do I even tell them, or just say we had to get it changed?
They don't know about the A? You can tell them that you are eliminating all avenues of contact from that creature.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
Thanks for the follow up smile Great job!

A couple more Qs...

So your W isn't willing to give up FB? I am going to stress again that this is a VERY bad idea for her and now I am moving on...

This hasn't been exposed to your parents?? Who has this A been exposed to?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
We are following HoldHerHand's suggestion about operating FB under EPs and POJA.

Just FTR...even if you two have made up your minds about this, then this would be for any lurkers...

EPs are not POJA'd! Oftentimes WS have to do things they aren't enthusiastic in their EPs... But it's part of just compensation and affair-proofing the marriage.

Next, if she reconnected with the OM on FB, then the EP would be to eliminate that condition...at least until she has proven herself to have firm boundaries...which HASN'T happened yet. Changing privacy settings isn't an EP.

Is the OM mutual friends with any of your WW's FB friends?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the follow up smile Great job!

A couple more Qs...

So your W isn't willing to give up FB? I am going to stress again that this is a VERY bad idea for her and now I am moving on...

This hasn't been exposed to your parents?? Who has this A been exposed to?

It's not that she isn't willing to give it up, it's that I did not ask her to. With that said, there were some conditions we have implemented with that to continue using FB.

When this first started, I was under the impression that exposure was a tool used to expose it and stop the affair if it was continuing. I read Dr. Harley's article last night about exposure. I have to admit, that I feel conflicted on exposure right now. The A was over before I found out, and there has been 0 contact since D-Day. It seems like exposure now that the A is dead and has been for a month would come across as being spiteful. Neither of our families were aware or enablers of the A. They all live 1300 miles away and we have an EP that says no travel without the other. Close friends are aware and offering support (Pro-marriage support).

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
N
OP Offline
N
We are following HoldHerHand's suggestion about operating FB under EPs and POJA.

Just FTR...even if you two have made up your minds about this, then this would be for any lurkers...

EPs are not POJA'd! Oftentimes WS have to do things they aren't enthusiastic in their EPs... But it's part of just compensation and affair-proofing the marriage.

Next, if she reconnected with the OM on FB, then the EP would be to eliminate that condition...at least until she has proven herself to have firm boundaries...which HASN'T happened yet. Changing privacy settings isn't an EP.

Is the OM mutual friends with any of your WW's FB friends?

Thanks for the clarifications. She did have mutual friends with the OM, but all of those have been removed and I compared hers and the OM's friend list to make sure we got them all. Additionally, male friends have been removed that are not family. All that remains are family, close female friends (No female friends that were mutual friends with the OM), and female friends from the Boston Terrier rescue and show groups we are involved with.

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
J
J
I think that maybe if your wife could let the families know herself that would keep her accountable, I also think that facebook should be given up at least until the thoughts in her head about boundaries are more normal. Right now why have something that puts doubt in your mind, one less thing is good for now.......Ask the family for help in keeping her true to your marriage........
The trick with this kind of recovery is you have to have solid action related acts to look back on and hang on to, this shows a sign of good faith and a message that the marriage is the most important thing, without them what do you have a guessing game...........
words mean little without the actions for a long while, you need something to trust and believe in again.

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
S
S
It seems like exposure now that the A is dead and has been for a month would come across as being spiteful. Neither of our families were aware or enablers of the A.

Dr Harley advocates exposure regardless of whether the A has ended or not:

What about exposure of an affair that took place years earlier and is now ended but recently revealed? I feel that the children, close relatives, close friends, and the lover�s spouse should be informed. Granted, it�s embarrassing to admit an affair, but publicly admitting failure is usually the first step toward redemption.

and this:

In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.

Have you talked to your W about this? What does she say?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
M
M
Originally Posted by faithful follower
nelsonak,

Are you satisfied that your WW is being transparent with you? Has she taken down her Facebook account? Do you feel you have gotten the truth from her?

Yes, I am satisfied there is full transparency. I have access to everything and regularly check it and ask questions. She has not taken down her Facebook account. I did not ask her to. OM and family have been removed and blocked and I do login and check it often. I believe I have gotten the full truth from her. The vast amounts of information I uncovered informed me of the full scope of what happened and the relevant details, and there has been no deception from her any step of the way.

Nelson, welcome to Marriage Builders. Sorry you are here. frown I am catching up on your thread and maybe this has been addressed, but she needs to DELETE her facebook account. Not just block the OM, but delete facebook from her computer. You can even go in and put a password protected blocker on her computer just to be safe.

The reason is because this is the environment she used to carry on her affair. If you are interested in affair proofing your marriage, the environment that made the affair possible has to change. Facebook is not worth your marriage and has to go. She will be triggered and tempted to unblock the OM every time she goes on there.

Secondly, has the affair been exposed to your family members? Dr Harley DOES recommend exposing the affair to close family and friends, regardless of the state of the affair. This is so there will be more people to hold her accountable. Keeping it a secret does not help your wife at all. Do you know the OM's family? I would consider telling them too.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
While most affairs die a natural death in less than two years, there are some that take much longer to die. That's one of the primary reasons that my first rule in surviving an affair is to never see or talk to the lover again -- even if the affair seems to have died a natural death. An affair can rekindle after it seems to be over. And to guarantee complete separation between the unfaithful spouse and the lover, extraordinary precautions must be taken, such as providing radical accountability and transparency. In many cases, I've encouraged couples I've counseled to change jobs or even move to another state to help create permanent separation.

Another suggestion I make to a couple struggling to restore their marriage after one of them had an affair is to make the affair public. Everyone should know what happened -- children, relatives, friends, and especially the children and spouse of the lover -- so that the affair is exposed to the light of day. What often makes affairs appealing is that it is done in secret. Most affairs become very unappealing once everyone knows about it.

So whether an affair is a one night stand, or has been going on for years, the basic rule for ending them are the same -- extraordinary precautions to guarantee permanent separation. But I will admit that the precautions used for long-term affairs are usually more extraordinary than those used for short-term affairs. I've helped many spouses overcome affairs that have lasted over ten years, but none of them have been easy.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
OP Offline
N
Have you talked to your W about this? What does she say?

We both agree it should be done, and I will being working on it. I am going to delay exposing to my parents for a few days though. We received word this morning that a very good friend of theirs from church, lost his battle with cancer last night. *edit* I will still expose to them, but I'm going to let them grieve the loss first.

Last edited by MBSeasons; 03/14/11 06:21 PM. Reason: Removing website

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
S
S
Personal Info!!

M
M
Folks, please avoid posting links to websites that could potentially identify you. This is for your safety.

mbseasons@aol.com
N
OP Offline
N
Oops, sorry about that, wasn't even thinking.

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
N
OP Offline
N
Had my sleep study last night. I was shocked I was able to sleep with all the stuff hooked up! Technician said she would monitor everything all night, if needed would wake me up to hook up a CPAP machine. 2.5 hours later, she was waking me up to put it on. I'm guessing the prognosis wasn't good, but it'll be interesting to see the results.

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
S
S
How are you doing otherwise, nelson? Are you two getting your 15+ hrs UA time every week? Did you two expose to your family yet?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
N
OP Offline
N
I'm good, thanks for asking. Things are going very well at home. The only thing that is somewhat frustrating for me is the lack of SF. I'm HD and she is LD. By HD I mean I could go anytime almost anywhere, but would be perfectly happy with 1-2/week. Unfortunately her drive is way down. It hasn't always been like that, so I'm just concentrating on meeting her needs. (SF is not #1 on my list and she has been doing great meeting all my other top needs.) We are easily meeting and exceeding our UA time every week and it's been great. Yes, the family now knows.

BH (Me)-30
FWW (BostonLover)-29
Married 7/2004
D-Day 14&16 Feb, 2011
Starting Recovery
S
S
Glad you checked in.

Does your W know you are feeling frustrated about this? Has she read any of the articles Dr Harley has written on this topic? Here's one link:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5013b_qa.html

Last edited by SusieQ; 04/01/11 06:03 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation