Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
In the light of recent activity in the news concerning two very well-known wayward husbands, I'd like to expand on why sometimes affairs can happen in even good marriages.

I had a good marriage. Sure did. Nothing made sense. He had a brand new gorgeous home we'd just built, I am not a sloucher, beautiful little boy, and a growing company. Two affairs (almost simultaneously) brought him to his knees and the affairage he had, well during that brief downward spiral, cost him EVERYTHING.

So why do they do it? Why do imho alot of men (and some ww's too) do the affair at all? Why if they have it good at home?

The answer lies in the three words in the title of this post. Entitlements, Boundaries, and Opportunity.

Entitlement. Let's tackle this one first shall we? At some point, everybody possibly feels like "well, I work hard, provide well for my family, and do a pretty da*n good job at this that or another. I deserve to have some personal time/happiness/vacation or you fill in this blank." When this emotion hits, I call that a feeling of being entitled to something by virtue of YOU saying YOU deserve it. Unilaterally you declare yourself queen or king and decide that somehow, YOUR NEEDS just aren't being met at all. And that the world should bow to them. Alot of ws' imho, experience this, and when combined with the other two marital evils, then an affair is the product.

Next is boundaries. Having good boundaries is important in almost all relationships we have. But having good ones with the opposite sex is very important in society today. For example, a very outgoing personality in a guy who goes out after work to have a few beers with his coworkers or budiies doesn't sound bad. It's not that bad in reality. But what if he tells a really funny joke to a single woman at the bar who laughs and laughs and suddenly finds him attractive? Is it so innocent then?

Same thing happens at watercoolers around the world. Somehwere, some woman is laughing and filling the emotional need of admiration of a married guy, NOT married to the woman laughing at him. Somewhere, maybe about 15 years ago, there might have been a housekeeper who showered praise, laughed at every joke, or maybe leaned over a little to far to dust a table when Ah-nold was around. You get it. Hanging out with the opposite sex other than your w or h too much OPENS YOU UP TO having bad boundaries.

Sooner or later we will get to the third and most vile of these characteristics of affairs. The Opportunity. If there's been a feeling of entitlement, which is accompanied by having a poor boundary especially proximity, to the opposite sex, then at some point, somehow, there will be AN OPPORTUNITY for them to be alone. And they have to act on it.

Whether it's having an innocent cup of coffee together i the cafeteria, or meeting up after work at a bar or home of the "friend of the opposite sex" (remember, they're "just friends right?"), at SOME point, the opportunity will arise where the physical boundary is crossed.

Don't beat yourself up BS. Do not. Odds are if you had a good marriage before the affair, you can have an EVEN BETTER one (thanks to MB) AFTER the stoopid affair is over. Odds are, your ws' affair is based imho, on the unholy perfect storm of these 3 characteristics colliding. Entitlement feelings mixed with poor boundaries which equals opportunity.

I know we're all not perfect spouses by far, but don't listen to the drivel and revisionist history spewed by a wayward to you when they try to blame you for THEIR affair and flaw or cut you to your soul by spouting out all-out revisionist history lies (i.e., "I never loved you." "We never have any fun".)

Most likely they fell victim to the unholy trinity of entitlement + poor boundaries which would = affair opportunity.

Your job here on the board now is to BUST THAT AFFAIR UP. Do what the MB program SAYS to do. It's a win/win situation. Either your marriage heals like most here, or else you personally heal and do as I do and enter an even better marriage healed at some later point in life.

But quit beating yourself up. Unless you're a wayward, that is.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
H
H
peachy great post. How do you know my XH rotflmao

In my case there was one additional factor..alcohol.

He was a good guy and now he is a pile of poo

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
A
A
Thanks for posting this peachy! I will 'fess up to still beating myself up over this situation. I'm a perfectionist, so I think that there's always someting I could've done differently; actually, I KNOW what I should NOT have done. Unfortunately it cannot be undone; it just needs to be dealt with and I've been doing that for over two years. However, I did expect my spouse to be in my corner and not use it as an excuse to stray or continually beat me up over it.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
C
C
thank you!!

Me 44- yes ugggh
WH 47
together 26 years M 19
serial cheater big time
DD1 2.24.11
NC letter sent 3/7/11
NC letter to OW2 april
final truths 5/8-- all of them poly confirmed 5/18
working the plan

H
H
I'm going to bounce off of the lunasphere and add; status = opportunity.

If you were to boil "why do people cheat" in to a simple phrase, it would be; because they can.

Why do politicians, corporate types, and celebrities cheat? Because they can.

The simple state of their status means that they are constantly propositioned by people who want a piece of their status.

This is also why people commonly "affair down." Those who would pursue them in an adulterous relationship have more to gain from invading the status of the adulterer, than the adulterer stands to gain from affair partner. In fact, the adulterer stands only to lose.

Handsome and/or successful men will be pursued by "gold diggers" and beautiful and/or successful women will be pursued by philanderers.

It's all the more reason to feel shamed and pathetic for falling into the web of adultery.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
D
D
Originally Posted by peachyisback
Don't beat yourself up BS. Do not. Odds are if you had a good marriage before the affair, you can have an EVEN BETTER one (thanks to MB) AFTER the stoopid affair is over. Odds are, your ws' affair is based imho, on the unholy perfect storm of these 3 characteristics colliding. Entitlement feelings mixed with poor boundaries which equals opportunity.

Thanks for these words, peachy. I know this to be logically true because I KNOW my husband and I had an excellent marriage before and after his A (bad boundaries, though, on both our parts), but all the recent commentary about the terribly foolish women "standing by their men" is gnawing at me.

I just have to tune them out.

FBW in recovery
D
D
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
The simple state of their status means that they are constantly propositioned by people who want a piece of their status.

This is also why people commonly "affair down." Those who would pursue them in an adulterous relationship have more to gain from invading the status of the adulterer, than the adulterer stands to gain from affair partner. In fact, the adulterer stands only to lose.

Handsome and/or successful men will be pursued by "gold diggers" and beautiful and/or successful women will be pursued by philanderers.

Very good points, HHH.

FBW in recovery
H
H
This post should go into Memorable posts.

Excellent points.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
D
D
I <3 Peachy.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
M
M
Yup I heard lots of entitlement things said in 2010. It was sort of a 'new' thing for him.... things I hadn't really seen in him before.

Married 1/2000.
D-Day 3/7/11. WH moved in with OW and they married in 2013.
Single mom of 4.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation