Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
I'm not advocating this, or Mira K's stuff - I have never read any of her books but I was reading some archived posts earlier today and ran across several mentions of her book, Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay. I read a little about her on the web. She also have a book called When Good People Have Affairs, which made me puke a little in my mouth and also made me rather cautious before looking any further into her writings.

Apparently there is a diagnostic tool in this particular book (Too Good to Leave...) to help you with the decision to stay or leave. I guess I'm not so much struggling with stay vs. leave, since I've been left...more struggling with when and how do I make the decision to let him go, give up, stop fighting.

I've been able to read the diagnostic q's online but apparently she gives examples in the book. Some of the q's I'm not even sure how to answer - I'm assuming I would answer based on our pre-A M. A lot of the q's focus on needs-meeting and general compatibility. I think I am ready to objectively look at our pre-A M without being subject to either the revisionist history of a foggy WW or the desperate clinginess of post-separation.

I didn't want to post any unknown non-MB related resources on my thread - I don't know anything about Kirshenbaum's consistency or contradiction with Dr. H's writings, and I don't want to confuse or mislead anyone. Anyone who has feedback on her diagnostic tool or the Too Good to Leave... book, please let me know.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
H
H
What was the question which lead you to investigate this author and her writings?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
W
OP Offline
W
I sort of stumbled into it accidentally. Recently discovered that if you click on "Who's Online" it takes you to a list of posts being read - how cool is that??? and I've been on the boards how long now??? crazy

Yesterday someone was reading a thread titled: I'm sorry, but I have to give up. I clicked on it and from there started reading posts by mercy (because I saw she was a FWW) and hopefulcis (also a FWW). The TGTLTBTS book came up several times in their posts, I was curious, and started looking at info on the book and author. I don't know what happened to mercy, but hopefulcis and her BH ended up divorced.

From what I can gather on the diagnostic - I've seen the questions but none of the author's examples - many of the q's focus on needs-meeting, for example (and I'm cutting and pasting a few here - there's 35 questions):

- In spite of your problems, do you and your partner have even one positively pleasurable activity or interest (besides children) that you currently share and look forward to sharing in the future, something you do together that you both like and that gives both of you a feeling of closeness for awhile? (RC)

- Does it seem to you that your partner generally and consistently blocks your attempts to bring up topics or raise questions, particularly about things you care about? (C)

- Have you got to the point, when your partner says something, that you usually feel it�s more likely that he�s lying than that he�s telling the truth? (O&H)

- Do you feel willing to give your partner more than you�re giving already, and are you willing to do this the way things are between you now, without any expectation of being paid back? (Not a need, but here's the issue of expectations and perhaps serves to distinguish a buyer/renter mindset)

- Do both you and your partner want to touch each other and look forward to touching each other and make efforts to touch each other? (AF, SF)

- Do you feel that your partner, overall and more often than not, shows concrete support for and genuine interest in the things you�re trying to do that are important to you? (AD, C)

- Is it likely that, if you have a reasonable need, you and your partner will be able to work out a way for you to get it met without too painful a struggle? (ENs in general)

- Is there some particular need that�s so important to you that if you don�t get it met, looking back you�ll say your life wasn�t satisfying, and are you starting to get discouraged about ever having it met? (ENs in general again)

- When the subject of intimacy comes up between you and your partner, is there generally a battle over what intimacy is and how to get it? (SF, AF, other intimate ENs)

- Does your relationship support your having fun together? (RC)

- Do you currently share goals and dreams for your life together? (Could be FS, FC, O&H, AD)

Now, some of the questions are clearly gender-biased, and I wonder whether she wrote them that way in her original book or was this a liberty the authors of the website took with her work...but I see the questions being suitable for either gender.

When I read the questions I initially started thinking of how my M is now and realized that is not what I need to be measuring...I would need to assess the M as it was pre-A. Although, if Dr. H's program for recovery is followed, then more of these questions would be answered in a positive manner and the M would be better than pre-A...

I know marriages can become great marriages if the MB plan is followed - the program makes sense and appeals to me on many levels - I wouldn't have stuck around if it didn't! But I get to points where I get so down and so stuck. I love him more than anything, but don't know if I'm even being rational about "us" anymore...another of the q's asks about your "bottom line," which if your spouse violates it would be a dealbreaker. And while no one gets married thinking they would stand for infidelity, some people do react quite differently when faced with those circumstances...others? Who am I to say it's NOT a dealbreaker for my H?

And I also read Sex with STBXH and Should FWS stop trying and accept?

You get where my mind was yesterday?? It's this thing --> rcoaster

I didn't want to clutter up my thread considering the merits of a diagnostic instrument that may ultimately be useless.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
M
I didn't want to clutter up my thread considering the merits of a diagnostic instrument that may ultimately be useless.

I can tell you that I read a lot - print matter as well as online articles. I made it my business to wrap my brain around this whole infidelity business as a way of regaining some control of my life.

What I found out was that there are a lot of people out there, purporting to be relationship experts. Some have merit, others...not so much. Some are snakeoil salesmen. Others bombed out of the major in college that they really wanted and fell into the area of counseling. Others have no degree at all.

I'd say to research the bona fides of the professional doing the counseling. Examine their history and their successes. That will help guide you.

I'm here with Dr. H. I did my research. wink

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation