Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
The television channels have been rife with programs and specials promoting a week of "Memorial Day" infotainment.

(Those of you not from America can stop reading now, if you wish).

The History Channel, PBS, and some local (and cable) channels have been airing a lot of programs focusing on the American Civil War (also known as the War Between the States). The year marks the 150th anniversary of that war's start, April 12, 1861.

The marvelous Ken Burns' Civil War, a massive, 10-hour presentation of virtually all still photographs, interspersed with dialog performed by numerous "star" actors was shown in its entirely twice this past weekend.

The History Channel has been airing its own works, "April, 1865," "Battlefield Detectives: Antietam" and more.

When I was young, I was a Civil War history buff. Visiting Gettysburg, PA was a cause for awe and fascination.

Today, I live in the heart of the land where many of the crucial battles of this conflict were waged: Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville, Manassas (Bull Run), Appomattox and more. One can get inured to the historical markers that almost litter the roadsides in this area (where much of the Revolutionary War was fought, as well).

But the war was fought as far north as Pennsylvania, as far south as Florida, as far west as Minnesota and New Mexico. It was truly a war between the states.

I find myself captivated once again by history. We seem to be so much in a hurry these days that we completely forget about how got to where we are. I know this board is all about the here-and-now, but sometimes it's good to take a moment and reflect. After all, "those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." (Georges Santayana).

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
N
N
But the war was fought as far north as Pennsylvania, the Barent's Sea, ...

P
P
H and I were recently in Georgia/Alabama.
We had the pleasure of driving to Eufaula Alabama for the day.

When the war was over, because of quick thinking and bold actions of Eufaula's mayor, Doctor Pope, the town was spared any destruction, and the beautiful homes remained intact.

Link to Wiki

H & I toured this mansion. Wonderful.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Last edited by Pepperband; 06/05/11 09:33 AM.
F
OP Offline
F
I love the filigree! Gorgeous!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation