Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
I'm new here, so I'll start with my story. DH & I have been together since HS (16 1/2 yrs). We made it through undergrads, got married, he made it into med school. We moved for med school, I left a job I LOVED! We had our 1st child & a 2nd child while in med school. Finances & stress of school/kids took a toll on our marriage. He graduated med school, became chief intern in his 1st yr of residency. I am so proud of him. Life is rough...but everyone says the first yr of residency is the worst. So I keep thinking yes we are having a low period in our marriage but all marriages have them from time to time (& we have been married almost 9 yrs). Things will get better...I'm almost on summer vacation (I'm a teacher) I'll have time to finish getting the house put together that we moved into during the winter. Intern yr will be over. Then after another dr's wedding he felt too guilty (I was being too perfect...his words) and told me of the affair. She is a nurse @ work. She has done fun activities with us & our girls. We even let her stay @ our house one night when her boyfriend was being abusive (this was before affair started). He told me he was going to end it and then later that week she says she is pregnant. Now he says that he doesn't know what to do...feels that he should be there if she is having a baby (he doesn't want any more kids), doesn't know if he can get over guilt and hurt that he has caused us. I tell him I want to try to improve our marriage. I don't want to throw away 16 1/2 yrs.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I had my first therapy session yesterday...I'm writing a lot in a journal to try and cope. I'm going to go to library to pick up SAA. I have contacted phone company to obtain a detailed text msg list, I have opened new bank accounts...I'm trying to protect myself and 2 girls. But it is very hard to do all of these things to protect us when I so badly want to fix our marriage...we have shared so many dreams together & we are just now starting to be able to make some of them come true...

Thank you in advance for any insight, words of encouragement, etc.

A_Lmommy
BS: me 34
WH: 31
D-Day: 5/31/11
2 girls: 5 and 3
S
S
Hi AL,

Sorry that you are here, and I assure you help with be on the way soon. I will ask some questions that I know others will need answers to so as to help you, OK?

-Is this a 9 year affair? Am I reading that right?
-Is this A still going on? If the answer is "no", how do you know this?
-When did OW become preg?
-How do you know that she is preg?
-Do they still work together?

Answers to the above will help those who know exactly what you are going through help you.

Sorry for you and your girls!

A
OP Offline
A
Sorry for confusion...knew I was rambling.

~We've been married almost 9 yrs--together for 16 1/2 yrs
~Affair has been going on for about 2 months
~WH and OW still text and call each other
~He says they are not sleeping together anymore
~She didn't say she was pregnant until after they talked about ending the affair. Supposedly she went to a dr on 6/10/11 and confirmed that she was 5 1/2 wks pregnant...however, WH was working this is all just her word...have seen no ultrasound...have no real proof that she is not just trying to keep him by faking it
~Yes they still work at the same hospital. Since WH is still completing residency program, it would be very difficult for him to leave hospital....however, she could leave (and when I called her to confront her about everything I told her she should...but so far she is not listening)

Alright, I'm off to library to pick up SAA book

A_Lmommy
S
S
Not confusing, just important stuff. Glad you're getting SAA. I don't advise folks here, but those that have been in your shoes will...it's sounds like you've read up a lot here, so while you're reading, a few more things from me and then I'll hand off to the vets here. I read here a LOT, so I'm am replying simply in anticipation of what you'll be asked, and I know what kind of support you'll get.

-This isn't rhetorical: why do you want to save this marriage? I hope you do, but I ask as folks here are going to respond with a very narrow and specific path for you to follow that is going to read very intense, direct and counter-intuitive. You are very understandably emotional and hurt (underestimate), and they are NOT.
-Responses heard from someone like you, A_L, have very caring people ready to help you prepare for war to SAVE your marriage.

What a mess your WH has made. Er, if it's true. It's sounds like your instincts are dead on in the need to verify all of this bullmalarky.

Help will be on the way!

P
P
Originally Posted by A_Lmommy
Sorry for confusion...knew I was rambling.

~We've been married almost 9 yrs--together for 16 1/2 yrs
~Affair has been going on for about 2 months
~WH and OW still text and call each other
~He says they are not sleeping together anymore
~She didn't say she was pregnant until after they talked about ending the affair. Supposedly she went to a dr on 6/10/11 and confirmed that she was 5 1/2 wks pregnant...however, WH was working this is all just her word...have seen no ultrasound...have no real proof that she is not just trying to keep him by faking it
~Yes they still work at the same hospital. Since WH is still completing residency program, it would be very difficult for him to leave hospital....however, she could leave (and when I called her to confront her about everything I told her she should...but so far she is not listening)

Alright, I'm off to library to pick up SAA book

I will post to you in short segments so you have a chance to take things in without being overwhelmed.

The adultery:

Doctor
Lawyer
Indian Chief
Candlestick Maker .......

All affairs must end the same way.
NO CONTACT FOR LIFE.
There is no other acceptable option.

"No contact" includes non physical forms of communication.
No phone/text/photo/Facebook/smoke signals/waving across the room/looks across a smoky bar ..... NADA.

Nothing.
Nada.

You WH says they are not sleeping together anymore.
I am less than impressed.
Waywards lie.
How do you know when a wayward is lying?
His lips are moving.

So, do you agree in principle that if your M is to survive, eventually you MUST insist on 100% NC (no contact) between WH & OW?
No matter what work sacrifice must be made.

If you do not agree in principle with the recovery requirement of NC, your M is doomed.

M
M
He told me he was going to end it and then later that week she says she is pregnant. Now he says that he doesn't know what to do...feels that he should be there if she is having a baby (he doesn't want any more kids), doesn't know if he can get over guilt and hurt that he has caused us. I tell him I want to try to improve our marriage. I don't want to throw away 16 1/2 yrs.

AM, I am so sorry you are in this mess. I would strongly advise that you get professional counseling with the Harleys if you want to save your marriage. Dr Harley has saved many of these marriages, but only by strictly adhering to some basic principles. The best thing for your marriage would be for him to give up all rights to this child and pledge to NEVER see or speak to the OW again. You will never recover your marriage as long as he is still in contact with the OW. Even if he did continue to see the baby, it would have to be done in a way that you and your H NEVER see the OW again. An intermediary would have to be the go between.

The most important thing here is your MARRIAGE. Your marriage must be protected first for the safety and security of your children. I would strongly suggest you go over to the Pregnancy Forum and read the stickied threads and everything by LynnG. You will learn what steps to take to protect yourself.

Go read this thread right now and listen to Dr Harleys radio clip: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2445081#Post2445081

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
And, here they are...you ladies are awesome. You're now in the best hands, A-L. I promise.

A
OP Offline
A
Why do I want to save my marriage...He's the love of my life, my best friend, father of my children, I can't imagine my life without him. He's never done anything like this before...

A_Lmommy
P
P

Pregnancy:

Real or fake?
It does not matter.
Insist on NC either way.

There is no reason for your WH to help OW with her pregnancy.
He pays for nothing.
He does not need to hear any details about her pregnancy.
It is none of his business.
She's a big girl.
She can handle this pregnancy without a husband, because she's an OW.
Tuffchit sista'.

Let's say, it turns out the OW is pregnant.
Until there is DNA proof, this is not your WH's child.

There is an OC:

Now, let's go with worst case. OW is pregnant. DNA proves WH is the bio father.
It gets tricky, but not impossible.
There is STILL no need for WH and OW to ever see or speak to each other.

There are options.
One thing is certain.
You need an attorney at this point (or right before actually) to represent the interests of YOU and your 2 children. The children of marriage , or COM.

No matter what promises WH makes, hire an attorney and get child support for YOUR children before OW has a chance to take the bigger piece of the pie away from the COM.

Trust me.
OW with a baby (OC other child) can be ruthless and cunning.
They will cry out:

"But, the OC is innocent" dramaqueen

More innocent or more important than your COM?
Methinks not.

Let me be clear what I am doing right now.
I am setting up a foundation for YOU to follow.
I am not telling you how to handle your WH, not yet.
You must be CLEAR and have a good understanding of the recovery foundation you will insist on, if the worse case happens.

There is ZERO effectiveness to having long drawn out discussions with WH about these issues.
In fact, it is destructive.

It is very good for you to think things through, have a plan, and several contingency plans .... and you do not need to share these plans with WH until he has ended his affair and has NC for at least 2 weeks.

S
S
OK, have to add one thing.

A_L, think of Mel and Pep (and so many others) as your unarmed bodyguards that only take direction from you, but you are the only one with the gun. They are not guarding you from your WH at this point, but from the AFFAIR, and they are telling you how to KILL it and why. They can only give you ammo from years and years of personal experience. Trust what you are hearing, OK?

S
S
Posted before I read Pep's response. Trust her, A_L. These folks are talking facts, not emotions, on your behalf to protect you and save your M.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Surfer88.

Yes, I do agree that there should be NC. I despise that woman that befriended my children. It is bad when they say why don't you like her...trying to be civil...I simply said she is mean to mommy. In which my daughter says you always tell us we have to be nice & cooperate with everyone. Yes, I do but she is not nice to mommy. (what i really wanted to say was she is trying to take your daddy away from us)

A_Lmommy
M
M
Thanks Surfer88.

Yes, I do agree that there should be NC. I despise that woman that befriended my children. It is bad when they say why don't you like her...trying to be civil...I simply said she is mean to mommy. In which my daughter says you always tell us we have to be nice & cooperate with everyone. Yes, I do but she is not nice to mommy. (what i really wanted to say was she is trying to take your daddy away from us)

Tell her the truth, AM. She is plenty old enough to understand adultery. Giving her false explanations about the tension in her home will cause her more confusion and will teach her to be dishonest. Little kids can handle the truth, they cannot handle lies.

Everyone should be told of the affair, your family, friends, and pastor, if any. Everyone should know. Don't hide the affair for your husband. That will harm you all.

Did you listen to the radio show and read Dr Harleys post I linked above?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

P
P
Expose this affair to everyone.
Friends.
Family.
And especially to the employer.
Go to the hospital/clinic administration and make sure they are 100% aware of the situation.
Usually, there is a medical director. Expose to the medical director.
Usually there is a nursing director. Expose to the nursing director too.
Usually there is a Human Resources director. Expose to the head of HR too.

F
F
Hi A_Lmommy,

Welcome to MB and to the board nobody wants to join. I am so sorry you have a need to be here. I will pray this pregnancy is just a scare tactic by a desperate wh*re and not real. In the meantime, please follow pepperband's advice and take comfort in knowing you are not alone. There are many of us out there unfortunately. I am here to hold your hand and help advise you along with pep and melodylane.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
I want to reiterate that the potential OC is not your concern right now. Drop that for now. It is of NO CONCERN TO YOU OR YOUR WH. NC and healing the M is what is important. Securing financials for your COM is important. Taking care of your health is of utmost importance. Are you sleeping? Eating? Have you seen your physician to get an STD check? Your WH needs to be checked for STD's as well. You might consider an RX for antidepressants to help you through this crisis as well.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you all for your support and advise. I have a lot to read...but right now my girls need dinner. So I will be back later tonight.

A_Lmommy
P
P
Why do I want to save my marriage...He's the love of my life, my best friend, father of my children, I can't imagine my life without him. He's never done anything like this before...

That's fine.
We assume you have good reasons to fight for your marriage.

That does not change our advice, or the reasons we offer the advice we do.

Here's another thing you need to do right away ....

Put a hidden GPS on WH's vehicle.
Say nothing to him.
Do this right away.
Do this - please.

P
P
Originally Posted by LynneG 2002
When you hear your H has been/is involvedin EMR and a child is on it's way you need to hire an attorney immediately.

1. Even if you plan on trying to work it out, those are your intentions. Your UH has already proven he is not trustworthy, and has to earn that back. By getting a good divorce attorney, you can legally separate, and protect family assests for you and your children. If, after OC is born, and maybe the marraige doesn't make it, your kids would be already protected. If you do make it, this is a wise idea. You and your children should always come first.

2. You will need a laywer if you and your H chose to have contact. This way OW can't manipulate or twist or harrass. You can have visitation,without ever having to say one word to or even see OW. If that is what you want. If OW starts phoning granparents, uncles, etc. One word to your attorney, and she can be buried in harassment charges. She has no right to contact and harrass members of your family. By keeping tabs on her and her activities, you can even sue her!!

3. If you couldn't have children, and your H now has OC, an attorney is a must. You would then be able, IN SOME CASES, to get soul custody of the child. This has happend in many cases. OW has pushed and pushed, harrased, and overall gone off the deep end. Her XMM and his wife would take OC and OW would have a fit cause wife would be holding child, or the XMM and his wife clearly presented a more stable enviroment. Now, if you have an attorney, and all the OW antics are recorded and noted, it would be much easier to get custody. At the least, it would keep OW from harrassing you and your family.

4. It is immature and just plain stupid to try and handle this without an attorney. Amicable agreements on the side mean diddly. Get the attorney, get the tests, get court documentation of everything so you and your family are legally protected. EVEN IF YOU ARE WORKING OUT THE MARRIAGE. Once everything is done in a legal manner, then it will be much easier to focus on your marraige and therapy and time to heal and move on. It keeps the OW out of your life.

You can have this anyway you want it. If you want NC, set it up. If you want contact with OC, fine, but that does not mean contact with OW. YOU decide what is best for you and your family. YOU and your attorney will then see that things get set up just so.

Please, I know you are emotional, but get legal representation IMMEDIATELY. NO MATTER WHAT YOU INTEND TO DO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 259 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation