Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2522885 06/23/11 12:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
E
ehm
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
It has been about 3 years since the events that I'm about to describe happened. But I'm now trying to help my wife heal from the trauma of my actions. Any advice would be helpful.

I've always had self-esteem issues which turned into a problem with masturbation and pornography. My wife didn't know about my problem as I kept it hidden from her. I lied to myself that there was nothing wrong with masturbation and pornography, but I didn't talk to my wife about it. She had let me know that she wouldn't be with a person who uses pornography. I know now after being free from m and p for two years how destructive it is and how it is a violation of the sacred union between a married couple.

After my wife found out about my compulsive behaviour, it took me a lot of time to deal with my issues in this regard. I started to reveal to her how I acted at work. We discussed how I interacted with women on the job. In understanding the issue and dealing with it, I had never really dealt with my wife's feelings about it. It was just about me and how I was dealing with it.

We discussed a woman that I had been working with and how I shared personal information with her and I thought that she was sexually attractive. How I had made comments about her attire and that there was joking around about sexual topics. How this woman made a comment about dressing the way she did to get men to do things for her at the workplace. After this, my wife asked me not to talk to this woman again and I agreed. However, there were a number of times that I talked to this woman and once that I walked over to a coffee shop with her always in the precense of another person. I also arranged it to be in the office of a co-worker of hers that I didn't necessarily need to be in as much as I was.

My wife hasn't trusted me since then and why should she. I'd would appreciate any comments or insights that anyone would have.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 508
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 508
ehm, your boundaries are truly the issue. If this was me I would write down extreme precautions that I would take and give her a copy. Be totally transparent. Text/call her when you go anywhere. Give her all your spare TIME. And find a new Job as she obviously isn't comfortable with you working with this OW.
PORH should make her feel better not worse. If you disclosed all of this to her you did the right thing. But you also created trust issues as you acted on it before you discussed it with her. In short it was like you having an emotional affair I believe. And she resents it. In reality it probably was a EA. So own that. Make compensation to you BW.


Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 35,996
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 35,996
Excuse me !

Originally Posted by ehm
I've always had self-esteem issues which turned into a problem with masturbation and pornography.

That's not a "self esteem issue".
naughty

That's a self control "issue".


Quote
My wife didn't know about my problem as I kept it hidden from her.

That's a secrecy "issue".


Quote
I lied to myself that there was nothing wrong with masturbation and pornography, but I didn't talk to my wife about it.

That's a dishonesty "issue".



Quote
I had never really dealt with my wife's feelings about it. It was just about me and how I was dealing with it.

What the heck do you mean "dealt with my wife's feelings" ???
What you lack is empathy and caring in your marriage.
You have been selfish and lazy.

Quote
We discussed a woman that I had been working with and how I shared personal information with her and I thought that she was sexually attractive. How I had made comments about her attire and that there was joking around about sexual topics. How this woman made a comment about dressing the way she did to get men to do things for her at the workplace.

You behaved like a pig at work.
This sort of behavior could cost you your job.


Quote
After this, my wife asked me not to talk to this woman again and I agreed. However, there were a number of times that I talked to this woman and once that I walked over to a coffee shop with her always in the precense of another person. I also arranged it to be in the office of a co-worker of hers that I didn't necessarily need to be in as much as I was.

You lack integrity and self control.

Quote
My wife hasn't trusted me since then and why should she. I'd would appreciate any comments or insights that anyone would have.

Call the Harley's and arrange phone coaching.
You need NEW BEHAVIORS.
You need them yesterday.

The "why" you act like such a fool is not worth discussing.
You can change today regardless of the supposed "why".

Start behaving better now.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0