Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
My mom is certifiably nuts and there's no way I could live with her, nor could any of my siblings, it'd be the end of our own sanity.

When the time comes, look into an assisted living facility. If she (by then) owns any property, they will want her to sign it over to them if she doesn't have money to pay their fees, but if she has nothing, they should still take her for whatever assistance she can get from the government. We are required to honor our parents and the Bible doesn't specify if they've earned it or deserve it, but we aren't required to live with them if it's damaging to our own mental health or our marriage.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
W
W
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
My mom is certifiably nuts and there's no way I could live with her, nor could any of my siblings, it'd be the end of our own sanity.

When the time comes, look into an assisted living facility. If she (by then) owns any property, they will want her to sign it over to them if she doesn't have money to pay their fees, but if she has nothing, they should still take her for whatever assistance she can get from the government. We are required to honor our parents and the Bible doesn't specify if they've earned it or deserve it, but we aren't required to live with them if it's damaging to our own mental health or our marriage.

Not that I have any idea what this has to do with the original question of this thread (which seems to have been settled so I guess the TJ is okay), but there has always been this assumption (on my mother's part) that she would live with us after my grandmother passed away. I don't know quite how this happened, other than the fact that besides my grandmother, I'm really the only family my mother has (that will still speak to her at least).

I know I have other choices. I think I'm just afraid of my mother. A lot of people are. Her wrath is quite a scary thing, so over a lifetime, I've learned not to cross her. It isn't healthy, I know that. It's just a very difficult mindset to even think about breaking out of.

My H seems to think it'll be fine if she comes to live with us. He somehow thinks that we'll be able to deal with her negativity and verbal abuse and general nastiness. He thinks if we talk to her about what she does and make her understand the affect that her words and actions have on other people, that she'll have a desire to change. It is possible. I do believe people can change. But it's hard for me to believe that she will. I've known her for 40 years and she's always been this way. It's difficult to think about someone breaking out of that mold after so long, and I think it would have to come from within her, and right now, it isn't.

The thing is, I do love my mother in spite of her faults. And I hate hurting people (and letting her know that I don't want her to live with us would hurt her).

Ultimately, I realize that my marriage (and my sanity) come first, and if having her live with us would jeopardize either of those things then I know we would have to find alternative arrangements for her.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
S
S
Originally Posted by writer1
Ultimately, I realize that my marriage (and my sanity) come first, and if having her live with us would jeopardize either of those things then I know we would have to find alternative arrangements for her.

Good to know. Although I think the fact that just thinking about her coming to live with you creates a knot in your stomach is a good indication your sanity will be jeapordized. wink

W
W
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

Good to know. Although I think the fact that just thinking about her coming to live with you creates a knot in your stomach is a good indication your sanity will be jeapordized. wink

Yeah, that's probably true.

E
E
Originally Posted by Cypress
Should they divorce their mentally incompetent spouses? Or live for decades with no needs being met. These questions may seem monstrous but these are real issues faced by good people.

Faced with this situation, what would you do?

Cypress

Easy, honor your vows. Marriage is not about what you get, but what you give. You get an opportunity to prove that your words really have meaning if you honor your vows and give even when you are not receiving in return.

In my opinion, and I reserve the right to be wrong, but that's the problem today. Too many people looking to get, and not enough looking to give.

Why would anyone entertain the notion of a romantic relationship with someone so willing to betray the HELPLESS person they vowed to love and cherish forever?

I sure wouldn't consider such a person qualified to be my romantic partner.

P
P
Cypress has left the building.... and has taken up residence ??????
Where?

W
W
Melody,

I always enjoy reading your posts. You hit the nail on the head every time.

Yes, your right about him being a jackhole. And I will be staying far away from him.

Hopefully she followed through with this and is indeed staying far away from this man.

C
Cypress Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Cypress has not left the building. I'm just a bit mortified.

My original post was written in a moment of insanity. I'm still pulling the splinters out of my head. I'm ready for more 2x4s.

I will not ever have a relationship with this guy.

I am willing to answer any questions about my moment of foggyness.

Cypress/

Me DH 39
WW 45 EA/PA LTR
DD2 6 yrs old
Divorced 2000

Cypress

I believe God challenges us with every crisis. Its more than just choosing good over evil, we have to learn and grow along the way.
P
P
Welcome back Cypress!!!!!!

K
K

My original post was written in a moment of insanity. I'm still pulling the splinters out of my head. I'm ready for more 2x4s.

I am willing to answer any questions about my moment of foggyness.

Cypress/

Don't stress over it. You've edited your posts, but if I recall correctly you said that you had a parent who chose to pursue an extra-marital affair because of a long-term illness.

It seemed normal to you. Now that you've asked the question and thought it through, you realize it was wrong. It's hard to accept that your parent made a serious mistake. It's hard to change a mindset that you've held for a long time.

((Cypress))

Last edited by Kirby; 06/24/11 12:02 AM.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
M
M

Welcome back. I agree with Kirby. And I understand where you are coming from. I came from the same kind of background after all. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Cypress}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
If you read this and wonder where 'the rest of my story is' follow THIS LINK .

On that note, here are my comments on several responses to the thread linked at the beginning on disabled spouses and adultery. This thread had nothing to do with me, but it sure hit some nerves as you can tell I'm sure!

All the colors and highlighting is mine!

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
What kind of a monster commits adultery on their ailing spouse? That is a special kind of callous and cruel.

The kind I married. Thank you ML.

Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
What part of "...for better or worse, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part" isn't clear?

The 'I do'? think

Originally Posted by MyJourney
Hopefully live with integrity and keep my vows.

I too think it's cruel to cheat on your spouse, especially if they're ill. Doesn't mean I don't have compassion for the WS, but it doesn't make it right.

Thank you.

How would that be grounds for divorce? I would like to see you defend divorcing a spouse just because they are ill. How would you defend that?

This one made me cry. And keeps me fighting for my daughter. I want to hear him defend himself against the paper trail of proof I have.

Adultery is adultery no longer how long your spouse is sick. And abandonment of a sick spouse is still abandonment whether it happens 1 year or 30 years after that spouse falls sick.

What you are espousing is betrayal of the worst kind. It is one thing to betray a healthy, competent spouse, but to betray an ill spouse? That takes a special kind of selfishness and depravity.

That helps me as well, more than you know.

I found a Harley article that addresses this subject:

What to Do with an Emotionally
or Physically Disabled Spouse

Letter #2

In spite of her disability, she is still a person who can love you. She will try to make the most of the ability that she has if you let her.

Reading that letter when I saw it helped me a lot, it makes so much sense. I kept this part of the quote because it hits me the hardest. I'm not in a wheelchair, there was not a single need of his that I did not, could not, or would not, have filled if given the chance, especially in the early years of our marriage.

Originally Posted by markos
Emotional needs are not things you die without. Like breathing oxygen. Emotional needs are things you "need in order to be in love." Not things you need "in order to stay alive."

These are great posts, Markos and I agree 100%. I think some do miss the point that emotional needs are relevant in the context of a romantic relationship. Like you said they are not needs like food or oxygen that one needs to stay alive. One does not NEED to have a romantic relationship.

I thought it was interesting that Dr Harley said in the radio clip that most don't cheat when their spouse is critically ill. Rather, the tendency is to enthusiastically tend to the disabled spouses needs and remain faithful. This situation reminds me that principles are not something to be observed only when its easy, but when its hard. Otherwise, one can't claim to have principles.

My ex in laws are like that, married somewhere around 64 years I think, still in love, and mom has been physically unhealthy for a long time, dad is still standing by her and I have no doubt when one goes, the other will soon follow. They remind me a lot of the movie �The Notebook�.

I've thought about this as it compares to my marriage as well. Then I realized, he was cheating long before I got sick, why would I expect it to stop when I did get sick. Has to be lack of principles, glad he never tried to say he had any.

Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Last time I checked, the marriage vow - the promise - was "in sickness and in health." It doesn't say, "until once of us is incapacitated to the point where we can no longer..."

Another thank you.

Even adulterous parents need to make their children know how wrong it is.

My question is, how on earth is
an unrepentant wayward supposed to let their children know that what they did was wrong?

They don't, can't, or won't, not sure, but it's why I am fighting to get my daughter back now. My stbxwh lives with his mother and apparently from what I hear now, one of his slimeball POSOW CA/EA bimbos. I will fight tooth and nail to get her away from that atmosphere. Even though it's looking like I might just be living in a car while I pay the lawyer...right after I get a car that is...ugh.

My H tried the whole exposure thing with her after I told him about my A. Didn't get him very far. She had no problem with me having an A.

This made a big impact with me. My stbwxh's parents view adultery in the marriage as acceptable apparently as they both had multiple affairs. Not even sure why they bothered to get divorced, but they did.

When I confronted my POS stbxwh on the first CA/EA, SHE backed up everything he said including telling me I was crazy to think it was like a real affair, I'd never experienced a real affair if I could possibly think this was even close!

Really? I witnessed with my own two eyes my XH screwing my best friend on the floor not five feet away from me.

This first CA/EA?

HURT FAR WORSE

Why? He KNEW about the affairs my XH had and the effects it had on me AND still did it, using the excuse it wasn't 'physical sex'. Which he is now spewing his toxic puke to my daughter!

Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Easy, honor your vows. Marriage is not about what you get, but what you give. You get an opportunity to prove that your words really have meaning if you honor your vows and give even when you are not receiving in return.

This is so very true. But one can only beat themselves into a brick wall for so long. It's still no excuse to break the 'forsake all others' vow until you break the 'till death do us part'. In the context of this thread however, any vow you break is the cruelest thing you could ever do.

I'm glad you came to your senses! This betrayed disabled wife appreciates it more than you know! Thank you! hug

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
2 (mine) from 1st marriage, 26 dd and 28 ds.
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
Too many D-Days to list. (EA/Cyber affairs)
He filed no fault 3-2011 I countered with grounds.
Court date set for June 6, 2011 for Final Decree and was continued.
That ticked him off, he is now fighting for custody.
Lawyers are expensive, my daughter is worth every penny.
Even the ones I have to borrow.
M
M
Originally Posted by No_Stress_Zone
Originally Posted by markos
In this radio program from 2006, Dr. Harley answers to a man whose wife is severely disabled and not meeting his needs. He makes several comments about what typically happens when one spouse becomes disabled.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=1322

I would have loved to have heard this clip, it won't load for me.

email me at ohmelodylane@aol.com and I will email you the MP3. I am still reading....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
..Many couples spend the last years of their marriage with at least one spouse suffering from a disability related to age. Yet, the healthy ones rarely consider an affair or divorce. Instead, they spend their last years of marriage remembering the love their disabled spouses showed them when they were healthier.

Your wife will never be healthier than she is now. I encourage you not to compare her with other women, or the way she used to be or could have been, but to look at her potential as it is today. I firmly believe that she can meet some of your emotional needs if you let her. And you will certainly give meaning to the last years of her life, as well as your own life. here

Thanks for this post also, I like to believe that this is how I responded to what I best can describe as my wifes mental and emotional breakdown, fall into drugs, and following cancer till death. The infidelity which of course was another form of mental illness, well, now there is what tripped me up for so long. Was her entitlement and superiority, laziness and lieing, sneakiness and manipulation, seflishness and extreme attention seeking behavior, another form of sickness?

My wife made her own bed by her choices, and it led to sickness and death, so it was not as if she did not every chance to avoid what would lead to her eventual sickness and death. When she was first pregnant by our DD, she found out she had cervical cancer, and her reaction was to need to drink. Now for that reason, she was sure she was going to die, she had gotten pregnant outside of wedlock, her nerves couldn't take it.

She didnt seem to be too concerned for the life inside her, or the fact that because of her genetics, drinking was the worse thing she could do to herself, and would probably promote the cancer.

Later on the world has learned, clamidia which is carried by men from women to women they sleep with, is one of the common causes of cervical cancer. So it would be safe to say, in the few years prior to meeting her, because she was drinking and avoiding the doctors or taking care of herself physically in any way, being a party girl, and getting drunk and wasted with guys at bars, this is how she developed cervical cancer.

So where did the sickness come for in this case? Did it start inwardly and develop into physical sickness? It was still sickness, and what was important was I did and how I reacted, in the face of it, as it is for anyone who is with someone who is ill.

I had all the excuses anyone could have had to let her crash and burn all her life, but I chose to deal with the painful stuff she dealt out at times, and see who she could be. I beleive because I did not desert her when she found out she had cancer, even though we were not married yet, even though there were times she would dissapear to the local bar and flirt with guys, she survived the cancer because I stuck around, got her to the doctors, and made sure she took care of herself even though she had major issues.

Because of that and of leaving when she was cured of cancer but would not stop drinking, she was able to get herself under control enough to spend the younger years of my childrens life, being a great mom. The needs I missed, well the need to do the RIGHT thing, the proper thing, for a sick individual, outweighed the selfish immediate needs of the time.

So if this guy has a sick wife, and he wants his Mommy, ask him to see God, who extends mercy as the mothers heart, because its understandable he is hurting, but there is a time to be strong for others and honor what is right. He should be still be searching for ways to fill the needs of his wife, especcially in her sickness, when she really needs him.

N
N
thanks ML, sent email!

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
N
N
Originally Posted by No_Stress_Zone
thanks ML, sent email!

got it! thanks!

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
K
K
Well actually I was trying to respond to what you'd written and considered it on topic, but I'll bow out...certainly didn't mean to TJ! (BTW, the "original question in the thread" is deleted so I have no way of knowing what that was!

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation