Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Hi All. Great forum you have here. Lots of insight.

My wife discovered two one night stands that I had while we were married and has moved back home. Married 2 years (together 10) No kids. She moved out 2.5 months ago and we have limited contact via phone/text.

When she left I was numb from the pain I had caused her and her family and dishonored our relationship. I did not chase her and beg her to come back because she said it was painful enough just to hear my voice.

At first it was a wait and see period where she just needed to clear her head while I went to Marriage Counseling and AA. I thought we were working on our marriage and trying to reconcile.

She goes to visit her friends for a week and something during that week changed her mind to where she wants a divorce. I realize I made the choices to cheat and lie and she is entitled to leave.

I am completely and utterly in love with my wife and because I put myself in bad situations she's now going to file for divorce.

I drove to her instantly after the news and for 4 days begged and pleaded to continue to work on our marriage and relationship but she says I am too late..that i should have come sooner and that she has made her decision.

I want to show her with actions that I am committed to us regardless of the divorce but with every action I take it seems to push her further away (Flowers/Church/AA/gifts/dates). We had a very strong relationship before the cheating.

I'm lost and need help guys. Right now I feel like I need to back away from her, respect her decision, and just work on myself. If anybody has any experience with this or related stories please share good or bad.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,149
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,149
I think you might get better advice if you posted on the "Surviving an Affair" forum. It has more traffic and there are vets there who have been on both sides of an A who may be able to help you. You can contact one of the moderators to move your thread there or just re-post it there.

The advice you get may sound tough-just realize that it's "tough-love".

Hope this helps-



johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
outofideas, welcome to Marriage Builders.

How did your wife find out about your affairs and what exactly do you constitute a "one night stand?" What are the details about these affairs?

Where did you meet these women?

Why do you go to AA? If you are an alcoholic, how long sober and what is the history there?

Did you live together before marriage?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks! I will ask for it to be moved.

One night stand - Had sex with a random woman after drinking from 7PM - 5AM

She found out from a deleted voicemail that a friend had left me asking about the one night stand.

Both occurred after drinking for 6+ hours. I go to AA meetings because I realized I have a binge drinking problem. I don't drink but typically one night a week but when I do its usually 12 - 15 drinks.

I met both these women at a bar with friends. Dancing and flirting led to sex
I'm sober for 2 weeks though i have not been to a bar since the discovery but drinking at home.

We did live together before marriage and then moved to a new city with friends to get a fresh start 1 year after marriage. We lived apart for our first year of marriage.

I do not expect her to move back like nothing happened all that I am asking for her is to let me prove that I am remorseful and will NEVER cheat again.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by outofideas2
She moved out 2.5 months ago and we have limited contact via phone/text.
Originally Posted by outofideas2
I'm sober for 2 weeks though i have not been to a bar since the discovery but drinking at home.

So why did it take you 2 months to get sober? When you say you are sober, you mean NO booze, right? Did you continue to drink after she left?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
It took me 2 months to get 100% sober because I drank to numb my emotions. I did continue to drink after she left

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Well, you drank to get drunk. It doesn't take 2 months to make a decision to stop. I imagine you only stopped when you realized she was serious and not coming back unless you stopped.

My suggestion would be to stick with AA and stay sober for at least a year before she even considers moving back. You would also want to stay out of bars. Have you been tested for STDs?

She would be crazy to get back with you now because you are too dangerous.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks for the advice. I am continuing to go to AA & staying sober. I did only take it extremely serious when she said she was walking. I also do plan on staying out of bars/nightclubs.

I have not yet been tested for STD's but trying to do that before the week ends.

On a positive note, she did agree to go to marriage counseling when I come back in at the end of this week. I already know what she's going to say to the counselor (I'm done.. It's over.. I just want it to be finished) but I am holding hope the counselor will not give up at that point and will try to drill down to the issues. The last counselor just gave up at that point and went no further.

Is it possible to get back together after divorce?


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0