Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2524912 07/01/11 09:06 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Ah, the natural world.

As humans, we try so hard to separate ourselves from it.. yet, we have so much to learn!

For instance, the idea of jealousy being a bad thing.

Not so. In fact, we could learn a lot from our lesser bipedal ancestors;

Intrasexual aggression between paired and solitary gibbons is one factor that helps maintain monogamy (Mitani 1984). Although she is not involved in most group encounters, a paired female will approach an invading solitary female in order to exclude her from the territory, preventing her from stealing her food supply and her mate (Mitani 1984). Without the presence of solitary females, a gibbon male is limited to his monogamous bond. While females will only make an effort to evict solitary females, males will force out both solitary males and other gibbon pairs (Raemaekers and Raemaekers 1985).

Intrasexual aggression between females may also contribute to maintaining monogamy in that aggression between two or more females would decrease the male�s overall reproductive success (Raemaekers and Raemaekers 1985). The area defensible by a single male is also typically only enough to maintain one female and her offspring (Raemaekers and Raemaekers 1985).
Females tend to distribute themselves across wide areas in order to secure food supplies for themselves and their offspring (Reichard and Sommer 1997). Males tend to follow the females and thus distribute themselves in the same way (Reichard and Sommer 1997). This distribution of females is another factor maintaining monogamy in gibbons because males are left with few opportunities to mate with nearby females (Reichard and Sommer 1997). Thus, males are restricted to one female as a result of the females� �solitary nature, low density, and even dispersion,� as well as the need for paternal care of the offspring (Leighton 1986). While the female is tied up taking care of the slowly-developing offspring, the male is needed to defend the territory (and food resources), and sometimes to help care for the offspring as well (Leighton 1986).

The strong pair bond created through duetting helps maintain lifelong monogamous pairs in most gibbons. Since creating a synchronized duet requires so much time and energy put into practicing, males and females are not likely to want to start over forming a new pair bond. If pairs are constantly changed, much investment is required with each new pair bond formed, resulting in increased time and energy expenditure on the part of both individuals (Wicker 1980 in Geissman and Orgeldinger 2000). This energy could be used in other ways, like caring for young and foraging, which would help increase the reproductive success of the pair.

Estimated rate of "Extra-pair copulation," aka infidelity? A maximum of twelve percent.

Long live the green-eyed monster!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
I am with you, H! I don't know how jealousy ever got such a bad rap... Dr Harley said this about it and I completely agree:

"Jealousy is a normal reaction to a threat to marriage. It's not a Love Buster."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I am with you, H! I don't know how jealousy ever got such a bad rap... Dr Harley said this about it and I completely agree:

"Jealousy is a normal reaction to a threat to marriage. It's not a Love Buster."

Also, note this;

creating a synchronized duet requires so much time and energy put into practicing, males and females are not likely to want to start over forming a new pair bond.

Sound familiar?

I think that I'm down to "monkey around."

(poor biological reference on my part... apes = monkeys)

Reminds me of The Devil's Advocate:

John Milton: Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

van�i�ty

noun /ˈvanətē/ 
vanities, plural

Excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements

Human vanity... pride. Our downfall.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
V
V
HHH, I love this article!

I'm hypersensitive to "invading solitary female[s]" and I think my DH is a little put off by it. Hmm...What's wrong with marking my territory? dontknow

grin

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
N
N
...a paired female will approach an invading solitary female in order to exclude her from the territory, preventing her from stealing her food supply and her mate...

THIS COMMENT IS DIRECTED SPECIFICALLY TO THE MALES HERE!

Guys, does the thought of your particular "paired female" kicking a "solitary female's" tail (gibbon or not!) somehow seem....exciting?

But at the same time, does it also strike you as ....demeaning?....that in priority we are subordinated to her food supply?

G
G
"...Intrasexual aggression between paired and solitary gibbons..."
Gotta admit, that's not a word-string I ever quite expected to read, on these boards, or anywhere else, LOL.

Seriously, though: Good one, HHH. Maybe we (humans) have become too "civilized" in some ways... bound by our social norms, secured by some of those norms, some of us sometimes apparently lose (if any of us today have ever even possessed) that primal fear of having our eyes deservingly gouged out by another homo sapiens...

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation