Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
P
If you do one thing today, put a HIDDEN GPS on your wife's vehicle.

*** LINK *** to GPS thread

M
M
Originally Posted by HelpMeSaveIt
It just doesn't seem worth it. People now know that she has been seeing another guy and no one seems to care. I told her last night when she got home from work that I was going out, and she just replied "ok". Later in the night, she started posting things on her Facebook profile that seemed very passive aggressive and angry. Then, this morning, she just seemed very angry and slammed the door pretty hard on the way out. She says she's fallen out of love with me, she's told her friends the same and that she's made up her mind that it's over.

Let us know if you have any interest in saving your marriage. We will be here.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
We talked again last night for a bit, and she told me a few other issues that always bothered her about our relationship. We spoke about counseling, and she said she would think about it.

A
A
HelpMeSaveIt - I just wanted to chime in about counseling, because you'll get a variety of opinions on that topic. If she's not willing to take any active steps as a part or result of counseling, it's doomed to failure regardless how good the counselor is. Also, what's your desired outcome of the counseling? What's hers? Ask yourself those questions. My WW and I went to weekly sessions for about three months and it was useful to get things out on the table and have a 'safe' place to discuss our relationship. I found that part really useful and theraputic for me. However, where I got frustrated was that she wasn't willing to take any ACTIVE steps to work on the relationship. I kept trying it from different angles and it didn't work. Well, I found out over time that it appears the OM was still in the picture. This was pretty much confirmed after she moved out via logger. So, here I am, she's been gone about a month and I'm about to go into plan B.

Do yourself a favor, ask yourself what you want to achieve in counseling.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
M
M
We talked again last night for a bit, and she told me a few other issues that always bothered her about our relationship. We spoke about counseling, and she said she would think about it.

Hopefully she says no to counseling because it would be a waste of time and will probably be destructive to your marriage. Marriage counselors don't have the slightest idea how to save marriages and even less understanding of the dynamics of adultery. They cause more harm than good and are often little more than divorce faciliators. They actually have a higher divorce rate than the general population and are destructive to marriages.

This is going nowhere unless you take active steps to break up the affair, Help.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I understand what the next step is supposed to be. Most of the family is aware of her new relationship with this other guy, but no one seems to really care about it. She seems genuinely happier now than she's been in a long time. She hasn't been home much to see the kids. She was out all weekend and came home around 10 last night. Saw the kids for about 10 minutes, was super nice to them. Kissed them goodnight, told them she loved them, and went to bed. She truly does seem happier now, so I don't know what I should do. We aren't talking at all. That's because I'm basically ignoring her. If I were to talk to her, she would talk back like everything is fine.

F
F
HMSI, there are so many parallels in your story and mine that I just had to pipe up.

Some of the posters who've been advising you through your thread are the best this board has to offer. They not only know Dr. Harley's principles inside and out, but they've also "been there, done that, and got the t-shirt!"

My reason for posting to you is to inform you that, like me, you have let your wife turn everything around on you and made you feel like everything is your fault. My WW did exactly the same thing, and said many of the same things yours has.

Here's the key to your recovery: DON'T BELIEVE A WORD OF IT! Wayward spouses have a way of magnifying every little flaw or perceived slight in such a way -- because it allows them to justify their abhorrent behavior.

The advice I was given was this: I may have had a 50% responsibility in the problems in my marriage, but my WW holds 100% responsibility in having an affair!

It's now your choice whether you want to recover your marriage or not. No one will blame you if you don't. If you do, the folks here at MB will give you the best advice -- based on 40 years of clinical experience -- you can find. If you do not, then it is still important that YOU recover. Do you understand me?

No matter which way this goes, if you do not recover yourself, you will be scarred and crippled for the rest of your life. And your kids deserve better than that!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
H
OP Offline
H
Well, I just got the D bomb this morning. She said she's just too bitter about things and it's over. I might think things can be fixed, but they can't.

M
M
Well, I just got the D bomb this morning. She said she's just too bitter about things and it's over. I might think things can be fixed, but they can't.
Help, when are you actually going to do something to save your marriage?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
OP Offline
H
What can I do? Everyone knows about the other man, and no one seems to care.

M
M
What can I do? Everyone knows about the other man, and no one seems to care.

Thats nice that your wife has a new "relationship." How cute and winsome.

Now, do you want to do anything to save your marriage? ARe you willing to do ANYTHING? Let us know when *YOU* get serious.

Exposure 101

M
M
Helpmesaveit, I am reposting what you need to do in case you ever get serious about saving your marriage.

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I know his name and got his facebook friends. Now what?

Is he married? Where did she meet him?

What I would do is plan a massive exposure. Affairs thrive on secrecy so exposure is ruinous. Exposure should be done all on the same in order to get the most impact.. The more people who know about the affair, the more opportunity for some one to get through to her.

Make up a list of exposure targets and calmly start calling and emailing them. Ask them all to use their influence to persuade them to end the affair. You should also send out private messages to the OM's Facebook friends and ask for their help. (we have a sample letter) if this is a workplace affair, then human resources should be notified.

Here are good exposure targets:

1. Her parents, your parents, the OMs parents
2. Close friends and siblings
3. The OM's wife
4. Your children
5 OMs Facebook friends
6 the workplace

Exposure 101

M
M
In case you get serious:

Originally Posted by Pepperband
If you do one thing today, put a HIDDEN GPS on your wife's vehicle.

*** LINK *** to GPS thread

Exposure 101

M
M
She hasn't been home much to see the kids. She was out all weekend and came home around 10 last night.

We aren't talking at all. That's because I'm basically ignoring her.

Unbelievable! What kind of husband does NOTHING while his wife cats around all weekend like an alley cat in heat pursuing her adulterous affair? A husband who does not care! Thats who!

Your complacence clearly conveys the attitude of someone WHO DOES NOT CARE. If you don't care, could you at least be bothered to lift a finger for the sake of your kids? They have NO ONE standing up for their family and defending their interests. NO ONE. Their mother is in an addictive affair and has lost her mind. And what does their father do?

NOTHING.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to do get up and do something, Sir? Your kids have NO ONE defending their interests right now.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Well, it happened. Everyone knows about it now. She's freaking out about all the things that I've done to justify what she's done. Trying to make me out to be the horrible one who caused her to do this.

M
M
Well, it happened. Everyone knows about it now. She's freaking out about all the things that I've done to justify what she's done. Trying to make me out to be the horrible one who caused her to do this.
Who did you tell?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
OP Offline
H
Family and friends. She is just saying "Oh well, busted. At least it's all out in the open now. We have been over for years, we just didn't realize it." She then began to delete a bunch of what were her close friends from Facebook, and starting to talk trash about them. To be honest, it does feel like this is truly what she wants, but just didn't know how to go about ending our marriage to be with this guy. Instead, she just used the "I don't have feelings for you anymore, and I'm so sorry about that" line to justify being with this other guy. She is a completely different person than the person I've known and loved for the past 13 years. All she does is bring up bad things about our marriage, and how she knows I wasn't happy too.

H
OP Offline
H
Her family completely backs her on this decision. They say that she should do whatever makes her happy, everything else will work out in the end.

H
OP Offline
H
One important point I haven't mentioned is that she did this about 6 months after we got married in 2001. We didn't have kids yet, so she just took off to Florida for about a year and a half. Then, one day she showed up at my doorstep apologizing for what she had done. She was 3 months pregnant with an old boyfriend's kid. It took me a while to accept that, but eventually, when the boy was about 6 months old, I was able to accept it. From that point on, everything seemed great and I've been raising that boy like he's mine.

M
M
To be honest, it does feel like this is truly what she wants, but just didn't know how to go about ending our marriage to be with this guy. Instead, she just used the "I don't have feelings for you anymore, and I'm so sorry about that" line to justify being with this other guy. She is a completely different person than the person I've known and loved for the past 13 years. All she does is bring up bad things about our marriage, and how she knows I wasn't happy too.

Were you interested in saving your marriage? Or are you just going right to divorce? Let me know when you are interested, otherwise I won't waste my time trying to help you save your marriage. I don't see any interest here. And that is ok. It is your right to just give up. You are not required to try and save your marriage.

Exposure 101

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation