Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2530122 07/23/11 11:57 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
I found out 13 days ago that my wife has been having an affair with a coworker for the last year and a half or so. We just got home from a weeks beach vacation and I was making up the bed to sleep, and kicked something heavy under the bed. I pulled out a gym bag and opened it up. Inside I found a variety of 'toys' that I hade never seen before, as well as lingerie that I had never seen. There was also a greeting card from the OM with two nude guys on it.

I immediately confronted her, she tried to deny it, then admitted it. I kicked her out of the house. Once she was gone I started searching through her things, and found a thumb drive full of images of the two of them doing things that were never even on the radar in our relationship. Some things you can't un-see.

We have two kids, and are doing our best to completely shield them from what is going on. I've let her back in the house, but she has to stay in the guest area.

I'm on the proverbial roller coaster, having pretty good days (or hours), and spiraling into deep hurt and anger other times.

I'm taking some actions to deal with this. I'm hitting the gym everyday, which I haven't done in a really, really long time. I'm on an eating plan that the guy at GNC helped me put together. I'm in individual counseling, and the two of us are in marriage counseling. I've read After the Affair, and His Needs, Her Needs. I'll be reading Surviving an Affair as soon as it's delivered (no electronic version). Sleep comes and goes, I got some melatonin to help with that.

She has agreed to no-contact, and we'll both be leaving our jobs.

Despite my desire to, I am not spying on my wife (much). This is for the sake of my own sanity, since if I head down that road, I'll probably be consumed with it.

For now, I have decided to trust (mostly), even though I believe her to be untrustworthy. Again, for the sake of my own sanity, for now.

We have long talks every night, and we have been pretty open about our feelings. As for honesty in details, I don't know, and frankly, from the pictures I found, what more do I want to know?

Right now, at this moment, I'm pretty ok. I know that the deep hurt will pop back up, but I'm grateful for any moments of peace.

I am devastated by this, and don't know if it's forgivable, but for now, we're trying to reconcile. Her reaction has been more one of numbness than a desire for forgiveness. That makes it harder, and who knows if the affair has truly ended. She told me it ended mid June, so for now I guess I'll go with that. Don't know what else to do.

Trying to reconcile wife's two year affair.
M
M
Originally Posted by Zeroskillz
Despite my desire to, I am not spying on my wife (much). This is for the sake of my own sanity, since if I head down that road, I'll probably be consumed with it.

For now, I have decided to trust (mostly), even though I believe her to be untrustworthy. Again, for the sake of my own sanity, for now.

For the sake of your sanity and the sake of your marriage, you had better be snooping like a bloodhound. It will drive you crazy guessing what she is doing, so let me assure you that you have this backwards. You have a NEED to know everything she does in private when she thinks you are not looking. This step not only helps you handle any repeat contacts, it helps you rebuild trust in your marriage at a time that it is sorely lacking. You cannot afford to skip this step.

We have long talks every night, and we have been pretty open about our feelings. As for honesty in details, I don't know, and frankly, from the pictures I found, what more do I want to know?

His full name and any other details about him. Is he married? If so, then you need to inform his wife about the affair. [don't forewarn your wife]

Her reaction has been more one of numbness than a desire for forgiveness. That makes it harder, and who knows if the affair has truly ended. She told me it ended mid June, so for now I guess I'll go with that. Don't know what else to do.

This is probably a lie, but it really doesn't matter because as long as she sees him at work every day, you can consider the affair ongoing. That will not change until she leaves that job for good. She is addicted to the OM so when she sees him at work, her feelings are triggered the same way an alcoholic is triggered by having one drink. He might be able to control his binge drinking for a little while, but pretty soon he will be back to binge drinking because he is perpetually triggered. Your wife is triggered every day she goes to work.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Zerokillz, the second most important thing you should know is that most marriages DON'T recover from adultery. That is because most people just stop when the affair is ended and do nothing to change the bad marriage. While most stay together, then end up in a crippled version of the pre-affair marriage that is MORE susceptible to affairs afterwards. If you sweep this affair under the rug, that will be your future.

You don't have to be condemned to that if you follow this program. It is completely different from any other program and it really does work.

What differentiates MB from all others is that it focuses on creating a romantic relationship. And people who are in love don't get divorced. While other marriage programs focus on "communication" and "conflict resolution" this program trains couples how to fall in love again. It really does work.

That program is outlined in the book, Surviving an Affair. The Harley's do offer counseling and a really good online program [where they assign you a coach and walk you through the lessons] but you can do this at home by yourself using the books [and the free radio show] if you are disciplined.

Dr Harley outlines his program here:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

Your nightmares are only the tip of the iceberg. They are but a small reflection of the suffering you experienced when you discovered your husband's affair, and the fear you have that the suffering will be repeated. You have no assurance that the affair is over because you don't even know who the other woman is. You are being asked to trust your husband, who has already proven to be untrustworthy. For all you know, he could be working with her, or you could be going to the same church, or she could be
your neighbor. And since he won't discuss the details of how the affair took place, you have no assurance that another affair will not take its place.

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Z
OP Offline
Z
I should have mentioned, we work for the same company. I know his name, cell number, where his office is... He works two floors below me, so there is little chance we'll run into each other randomly. It's hard to get work done when the guy I just want to kck the snot out of is just below me. He knows that I know, and is aware that im also a federally licensed firearms dealer, so for now, I'm taking (a little) solace in knowing he's quaking in his boots.

Good point on snooping. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. I did purchase a VAR, but haven't used it yet. I've got some friends that are on the hunt for his wife's contact info, but Im on the fence about exposing the affair to her. I read the post from dr Harley on it, but am still struggling with it. My motives at the moment would simply be vengeance. For now it doesn't matter, since I don't have a way to contact her yet.

I
I
Hey Z, so sorry for what you are going through.

Not looking into things 'for your own sanity' is because you are still in the denial stage of grief. You feel numb, shell shocked, cant concentrate on details.

You would love for someone to tell you its a horrible mistake.

You feel instinctively something is still going on, but shy away from facing that fact.(it is because as mel says, she is being triggered every day at work, cant be much fun for you either knowing they are seeing each other at work)

You can do this, we have all been where you are now. Find out what you need to find out. When you take control of this situation you will begin to heal,

Good to hear you are taking care of yourself. Keep it up.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
B
I am sorry to hear of this. Please read and reread everything Melody has written to you because she knows what she is talking about.

What would make your wife carry on for a year and a half sexual affair in your home (great symbolic meaning) and having pictures taken of their sexual acts. What did she think would happen when you found out? Why didn't she just divorce you then? It just does not make sense that now she wants the marriage. Something does not make sense from all of the things that she did.

By the way it is absolutely essential that both of you get tested for STD's. You may wish to contact an attorney just to understand all of the options and repercussions of divorce. If the roles were reversed do you think your wife would be as understanding as you? I wish you luck.

P
P
I've got some friends that are on the hunt for his wife's contact info, but Im on the fence about exposing the affair to her. I read the post from dr Harley on it, but am still struggling with it. My motives at the moment would simply be vengeance. For now it doesn't matter, since I don't have a way to contact her yet.

Zeroskillz,

The OM wife needs to know this information about her life. She deserves to know what her husband is up to so that she can protect herself and her kids from him.

Telling her the truth about her life is not vengeful...it is the right thing to do. Do you wish that someone had the balls to pick up the phone and warn you?

She is also an important ally for you. She is an extra set of eyes on the two of them.

Have you thought about finding a new job yourself? That must be unbearable for you going to work everyday with OM working 2 floors down.

Your wife also needs to leave the job. Her feelings for OM are triggered every time she goes to work.

Stay strong. You have found a safe place here. We have all been through this and give you valuable info.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
I've got some friends that are on the hunt for his wife's contact info, but Im on the fence about exposing the affair to her. I read the post from dr Harley on it, but am still struggling with it. My motives at the moment would simply be vengeance. For now it doesn't matter, since I don't have a way to contact her yet.

Your "motives" are superceded by her right and NEED to know what has been done to her. Your motives are not relevant. His wife needs to know so she can protect herself and her children from your wife and her husband. The affair is much more likely to be killed if there are 2 people watching from both ends.

Let me ask you this. If your neighbor's bookkeeper was embezzling money from him would you rationalize not warning him because your "motives" were not right? What kind of a person does not warn another when they are being harmed behind their back?

And more importantly, your wife will not recover until and unless her other victim is informed of what she has done to her. Your wife should not be the one to tell her, of course, but her amends comes in making sure this woman is told the truth.

Not telling the OM's wife is bad for ALL of you. It is bad for you, the OM, your wife, and your marriage. It only serves to make it EASIER for them to carry on their affair. Affairs thrive on secrecy, so keeping this a secret for the affairees, only serves to FUEL the affair. Keeping the secret ENABLES the affair. Why would you do that?

Everyone should know about the affair, Zero. Your parents, her parents, your employer, your children, and most especially the OM's wife. That gives you the GREATEST CHANCE at recovery; in your marriage and your wife's personal recovery.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
" Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."
here

Exposure 101

M
M
I know his name, cell number, where his office is

You need to get his address and drive to his house and tell his wife.

Exposure 101

S
S
Z-

In my case, the OW's H knew about the affair. Or at least, he knew his wife ran around and slept around.

They had an "Open Marriage". At least her end of it was open.

I was in the dark.

When I found out, I had really wished that it wasn't the way it was. I also found out with pictures, like you did. I don't know if I would have "preferred" that someone tell me,

but,

I guess I definitely would have liked to have known sooner.

Because the longer this affair went on, the worse it seems to me. I guess it is just lie upon lie upon lie that makes it all seem so much worse to the betrayed. So when you get the information on how to contact the betrayed wife of this scum-sucking POS

please think of me. Think of all of us betrayed wives out here who deserved to know, who would have done ANYTHING to try to stop even one more time with the OW if she had a chance.

That OM's W has a chance to at least try to save her marriage, if she wants to. At this point,

nobody even cares enough about her to give her the truth of her life.

That, to me, speaks volumes about why our world just plain SUCKS a lot of the time.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
R
R
Exposure to OMGF killed my wifes affair on contact. Wife thrown under the bus.

You will not regret it.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
T
T
Use that var today, one in your house. Did the WW bring in the OM then you no where to place it.

Then get a second var for WW's car.

You must verify NC.

And the way you found MB google the OMW.

Z
OP Offline
Z
I think I've found him, at least an address. I'll admit, I really struggle with the idea of exposing it to his wife.

Still hunting down a phone number, I'd rather not do it in person at her house. I'd like to avoid any physical confrontations.

Found more pictures on her old phone. I hope she didn't send them--our work stores backups of mail communication done via work phones.

J
J
I agree, you have to expose to the OM's wife, that will end any chance of the affair continuing, if you want to save your marriage this is your chance, watching the affair partners from both ends, you can't continue when everyone is watching......
watch it all fall apart as reality slaps fantasy in the face........
The two of you together will send a letter of NO CONTACT to the other man.
And then you will put together a plan of rebuilding your marriage and keeping your family together.........
If she refuses to let go of the OM, then ask her to leave and expose everyone else that is important to her..........telll her you love her and are willing but only if it's the two of you and the OM is gone for life, quitting the job, moving are good ways of stopping the contact.......
stay calm and come back here and let the vets walk you through every step
good luck

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
I
I
I think I've found him, at least an address. I'll admit, I really struggle with the idea of exposing it to his wife.

I'd like to avoid any physical confrontations.

What sort of reaction do you fear? Do you think she will attack you, argue, not believe you? She will probably just be very stunned. I dont have any experience in this, the OW in my case was widowed, but sure others can lead you through this if you tell us what is making you most nervous...

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
\

Of course it is a struggle. But it is the right thing to do. We can't just do the right thing when it is easy. She has a right and a need to know. The longer you wait the more likely you will lose your marriage because the more likely the affair will resume. Not telling the OM's wife would be cruel to her and serve to enable the affair. There is absolutely no good reason to not tell her.

Exposure 101

M
M
Still hunting down a phone number, I'd rather not do it in person at her house. I'd like to avoid any physical confrontations.

If you think the OM will physically attack you, I would take a friend. But I would not put this off any longer. OM are usually pansies by nature, so I would expect him to run crying into the bedroom if he is there. He is, no doubt, a worm who would be scared if you stand up for yourself and your marriage. You could run him off easy because he is a punk.

Exposure 101

M
M
Z-

Deviation from the MB plan will lead to more heartache. It sounds like you have a remorseful wife which is good. Saves you a lot of work.

You must follow the plan letter for letter. You must get OMW on the horn and break the news and send her some of the thumb drive evidence.

My FWWs OM cell phone video'd my wife orally doing him on many occassions unbeknownst to my wife. OM and OMW both confirmed my wife was NOT aware of the porn shoot. Whoop-de-doo! She was still participating. Curious to know if your wife was aware of the filming.

Well, Im in recovery and so is my mortified wife. Follow what these people tell you. You will learn marriage counselor and psychologists are a waste. Here, you will get real world, no nonsense direction to save your marriage.

Let me give this tidbit I got from here from great people, your wife was living a selfish, foggy and downright moronic existence where her needs were being met by some a-hole with equal selfishness. There is no reason, in reality, for it when you dig down deep. Your wife risked losing all she holds dear for a some clandestine get togethers.

SHE has the responsibility to make it right.

You have the chance to recover what was lost.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation