Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Apparently the author of Love Languages has a new book out on appreciation in the workplace, based on many of the same languages as in the Love book, including physical touch. I think this is a HORRIBLE idea! Have any of you seen this? What are your thoughts? I always thought Languages was a good companion to MB, but I'm rethinking this based on this new direction the author has taken.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
S
S
Yuk!

Tel us a bit more, CW. Is there a link to a description?

I know I shouldn't pre-judge, but again - yuk!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
you can search for 5 languages of appreciation in the workplace. I'm not linking that! smile

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I, of course, have not read it, so I only know the content that was put online about it. I bristle at 'quality time' and 'physical touch', but I don't know how they go in depth about it in the book. Quality time off? Quality time with your team at some resort, spouses excluded? Physical touch has no business in the business world, imho, that's just a good way to employ lawyers.

Has anyone here read it, know more about it than I? I'm thinking surely it can't be as horrible for marriages as I'm imagining, unless Mr. Chapman had a huge brain fart.

(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
My first thought on looking at the title:

"I guess organizations are so strapped for cash now they have to hand out appreciation to get people to stay, because that's all they have?"

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Amazon.com is showing me excerpts of the book. There is indeed a chapter on physical touch. It looks like it starts out with them saying that they received overwhelming concern at the thought that they would include such a chapter, followed by their justification of including it anyway.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I have given my manager a lot of feedback over the years as to how I believe the situation in my job could be improved. If my manager acted on more of my feedback, I'd feel appreciated. None of my suggestions involve physical touch. smile I'm uncomfortable of the idea of my manager studying how best to touch me, although if we're just talking about a handshake here I'd say I'm not uncomfortable so much as distressed at the waste of time when there are so many other things that could be improved and so many better ways to show me appreciation.

B
B
Originally Posted by markos
I'm uncomfortable of the idea of my manager studying how best to touch me

rotflmao

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
H
Meh.

Physical touch ain't shocking.

Maybe if you are a 3-piece person.

If you are in the trenches, caring for the sick and dying, touch is an every day fact of life.

And, yes, sometimes it will be a coworker.

/shrug

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Meh.

If you are in the trenches, caring for the sick and dying, touch is an every day fact of life.

/shrug

I agree there are certainly situations when touch is appropriate. I did a bit more reading of that chapter and they tried to address it.

Nobody wears a suit in my job, but we are in a situation where touching each other would just not be normal. If people clapped each other on the back or something it wouldn't be inappropriate, but probably seem a little over-exuberant.

Obviously people need to touch the sick and dying.

But if my manager were following along here, I'd suggest he listen to the suggestions of his disgruntled employees before reading a book about how best to speak our appreciation languages. Of course, my suggestion would probably go ignored. smile

H
H
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Meh.

/shrug
But if my manager were following along here, I'd suggest he listen to the suggestions of his disgruntled employees before reading a book about how best to speak our appreciation languages. Of course, my suggestion would probably go ignored. smile

Bingo!

So... what does it all boil down to?

Boundaries, and the right of individuals to enforce them.

If you don't like hand shakes and back claps... then nobody should be trying to shake your hand or pat your back. This should only have to be communicated once.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

K
K
Unfortunately, if I as a young person try to refuse handshakes (though I don't like being touched) I am likely to be seen as rude and vulgar and "not grown up."

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
B
B
Y'know I don't mind handshakes or high fives when appropriate. But early in my career I had this creepy manager who would come up behind people in their cubes and give them unsolicited power neck and shoulder rubs. That to me was over the line, but I was young and didn't have the words to really express it.

I read somewhere that some people will touch others (nonsexually) as a show of dominance, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
H
Originally Posted by bitbucket
Y'know I don't mind handshakes or high fives when appropriate. But early in my career I had this creepy manager who would come up behind people in their cubes and give them unsolicited power neck and shoulder rubs. That to me was over the line, but I was young and didn't have the words to really express it.

I read somewhere that some people will touch others (nonsexually) as a show of dominance, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

I was in several sports in school - football, track, wieghtlifting.

A butt pat from teammates and/or coaches wasn't all that out of the norm.

Mind you, however, that these were other guys. At that time I may have liked it if a female did... now it would give me the heebie jeebies.

A handshake or a back pat is fine... but I have only allowed a hug once - the first time I dealt with a resident death on my shift. Largely because at the time I felt like I could have done more, and it wrecked me pretty bad. One of my coworkers stopped me when I was trying to get out the door, and I broke.

Bleh.

M
M
Give yourself a pat on the back with one of this nifty signs...

[Linked Image from larrywinget.com]

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Originally Posted by bitbucket

This is how some people use handshakes, though in my experience they are a vanishing breed.

S
S
No kidding handshakes are a vanishing thing.

I met a client recently, only the second time I had ever laid eyes on me. We have only ever had professional contact. She came to me for a kiss on the cheek, and I was forced to comply or seem rude.

This "kissing people who are not members of my family thing" has got well out of hand.

Do you get Come Dine With Me over there? On that, complete strangers kiss instead of shaking hands in the proper way.

Who is to blame for this epidemic of kissing strangers?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
I met a client recently, only the second time I had ever laid eyes on me. We have only ever had professional contact. She came to me for a kiss on the cheek, and I was forced to comply or seem rude.

This "kissing people who are not members of my family thing" has got well out of hand.

Do you get Come Dine With Me over there? On that, complete strangers kiss instead of shaking hands in the proper way.

Who is to blame for this epidemic of kissing strangers?

I am fairly certain that this is a European practice, so I blame them.

S
S
I was about to challenge you to a dual for that comment, but then I realised you must be right.

French people kiss on both cheeks and Italians kiss THREE TIMES! Good grief, they could be there all day! And in France, they make a noise when they do it, like sucking a lemon.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Well, of course I'm right. I was very politely and obliquely blaming the French.

P.S. Romans 16:16 was written to Europeans, also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation