Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2543956 09/14/11 01:02 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I�m new here and not sure what to expect. I found this site after I googled �affair�. Have not discussed this with anyone, but I can�t hold it in any longer, so here I am.
Little background info. My wife and I have been married 27yrs. We have 3 sons ages 25, 23, and 21. Up until 5 months ago I thought my marriage was great and solid. My wife and I have always enjoyed each other�s company, we have a lot of the same interest and I thought communicated well. Our sex life has been very active (with each other) and as far as I thought we always communicated about our needs sexually (or so I thought). I can�t remember any time in our marriage where I thought we were in trouble. Never did my wife seem emotionally or physically distant. Stupid me!
Five months ago while at work I received a small package in the mail. There was no return address; the postage stamp was from a city in another state where we had lived 20 years ago. Inside the package was an old VHS tape. It was labeled �enjoy�.
I took the tape back to my office, went to media center and got an old VCR. Put tape in and after 10 seconds was in complete shock, numb to be exact! There was my wife 20 years ago having sex with a man I didn�t know. It was apparent that he had hid the video recorder and she had no idea she was being taped. There was no mistaking it was her.
I felt humiliated, foolish, stupid, and then I was angry. I was going home to confront her, however, on the way home after I calmed down�.. I couldn�t do it. I�ve been struggling with this for 5 months. I know she knows something is wrong, she keeps asking me. I just can�t bring myself to do it, however, I don�t know how long I can keep it in. I keep asking myself how long was this going on. Was I the only one who didn�t know? Is this behavior still going on? It was apparent that there was no protection during sex, so is one of my sons biologically not mine? I love my sons and no matter what will always love them. And for the life of me why this was sent 20yrs later?
I consider myself a guy who can roll with the punches but this haymaker from 20yrs ago has floored me. I love my wife but knowing what I know am having a hard time looking at her in the same light as 5 months ago. Will telling her what I know help or hurt? Or will taking this to the grave be the best for all?

M
M
So sorry to hear this tragic story. Welcome to MB. We can help you.

My first inclination is that since you've already sat on this for a little while you may be wise to investigate your wife a bit to obtain any other evidence you can before it disappears forever. There may not be any other evidence to obtain...but if there is...get it before you confront her.

My second inclination is...you have to tell her and stop letting your mind race through years of imagined spectacular betrayal.

You have no idea what the facts of your life are and need to get them first before deciding where to go from there. This board will support you either way. If you decide to recover Dr. Harley has a marital recover plan available here. If you decide to divorce...many others here have been down that road and will help you traverse the emotional rollercoaster.

Either way...you will make it.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
G
G
COG,

A quick guess is that they were communicating in secret for years, perhaps seeing each other rarely and your wife may have just told him this has to end. That could explain the timing. He may have been blackmailing her as well.

God Bless
Gamma

MrWondering #2543976 09/14/11 01:35 PM
M
M
Potential Plan

1. Snoop out whether anything is going on right now with anyone.

2. Snoop out any old evidence in box's and files you may be able to find (old letters, etc)

3. Old affairs are tough to get proof of so your best and likely only source is your wife so you'll need to plan the day of confrontation carefully.

a. Have the box you received sitting out. In it have an envelope (apparently with a letter inside) addressed to you and not just one videotape cassette but TWO additional videocassettes. Actually, the one your received needs to be in a vcr you have hooked up and ready to go.

b. Sit your wife down and have a short talk about having something important to show her. Hit play and life as we know it changes forever (it already has but that will be the bottom upon which you can rebuild or not)....

c. Tell wife that you received this box with the three tapes and the letter. One tape has only a voice explaining a bit about what I just showed you ...the letter explains more. So she better start talking and not leaving anything out.

[this is important....wayward liars INSIST on acquiring and assessing everything you know FIRST in order to figure out whether or not or where they can resume their lying. She knows what she did and has no right to seeing all the evidence FIRST to prove to her what she already knows. Obviously you are bluffing to an extent but you MAY only get one shot at the truth about your life so you better play it well. Often once you overcome the wall of denial you CAN get an honest wayward willing to just fess up to everything. If she knows all you've got is that tape...she'll only fess up to what you see on that tape and you'll never trust there wasn't more.

d. She must be pressed to tell the truth. All of it right then without giving her time to think (and conjure up lies). You may have to say she has one chance to tell you everything or you're gone. You must be believable. Maybe have some bags packed when she walks in so she knows she's serious.

4. I wouldn't wait long to do this. Holding this secret in is killing you (and what's left of your marriage). We can speculate about the stuff on the tape and who sent it to you forever but until you confront you won't know squat.

Mr. W

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Gamma #2543978 09/14/11 01:37 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Gamma
COG,

A quick guess is that they were communicating in secret for years, perhaps seeing each other rarely and your wife may have just told him this has to end. That could explain the timing. He may have been blackmailing her as well.

God Bless
Gamma

Yup...I considered the same thing. The note saying "enjoy" kind of sounded OM vindictive.

then again...maybe a betrayed wife out there stumbled upon the tape in her husband's collection of vcr tapes and knew him and his wife so she sent it to him.

Speculation is only going to make this worse. He needs a plan to get the truth about his life.

Mr. W

Last edited by MrWondering; 09/14/11 01:39 PM.

Gamma #2543984 09/14/11 02:18 PM
H
H
Caught:
I read with deep sorrow what has happened to you. You need to know that you are a good man that did and does not deserve this. But you also need to know that if you follow the Vets here (and when I was new I did not want to listen... and I made so many mistakes)...
There IS Hope for a marriage better than you have ever had. Please trust in that for now.
Blessings
Me BS 56
She WW 50
Hers 18, 22
Mine 22, 28, 30
Ours DS 12
D-Day 1 - April 26 2009
D-Dapy 2 - October 15 2009
Exposed February 22, 2010
Me: Reforming Verbal Abuser (and I will always be reforming)
She: still won't divulge OM # 2 despite overwhelming evidence, but slowly, ever so slowly, she is turning towards me. But it is more of an arrangement than a marriage currently. I have wanted to give up but am unwilling to just yet.
Attending Counseling following MB Principles - maybe there is hope but some days I wonder if this is not a slow lingering death. My Dad used to say "marriage isn't for the feint of heart."

Last edited by hurtingturkey; 09/14/11 02:21 PM.
M
M
I just noticed you ask whether taking this to the grave would be the best for all.

NO...it wouldn't.

You didn't do anything wrong. This secret will eat you up.

It will literally put you in a grave.

YOU MATTER.

In my estimation...it would be suicidal for you to keep this secret. You don't even know the extent of the "secret" which is why I'm advising you how to get ALL the facts about your life before making any decisions.

ONLY in truth can peace be found.

If you are having trouble mustering up the courage have no fear. The courage will come to you in the doing.

Mr. W

p.s. - best case scenario...she was slipped a ruffie and acquaintance raped on video. She awoke the next morning at her girlfriends home and resolved to never speak of that night again (as she has a faint recollection of the events and was too embarrassed to say anything). Maybe she doesn't recall the night at all. Maybe it was from before you were married. Maybe she's got an evil twin out there and it's not REALLY her (someone stumbled upon the tape and thought they recognized her and sent you the tape anonymously). Thus...YOU NEED THE TRUTH.

Last edited by MrWondering; 09/14/11 02:38 PM.

M
M
Originally Posted by caughtoffguard
I consider myself a guy who can roll with the punches but this haymaker from 20yrs ago has floored me.

Caught, I am so sorry that you are going through this. I encourage you to follow Mr. Wondering's plan or something like it and get the truth. I would be careful about when you tell her and what you tell her, but I would make plans now to do something to get the truth so you can make a decision about what you want to do.

And I would also start checking into your wife's doings today.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2544003 09/14/11 03:16 PM
S
S
I am sorry too, that you find yourself in this quandary. I think if you play this out the way Mr. Wondering described it would be very workable for you. However, waywards lie, and you might want to explore having an appointment set up, in advance, with a qualified polygraph administrator. This gives you an extra card up your sleeve. If you don't believe her responses are thorough and truthful, you can resort to the either/or tactic of going through with a polygraph, or she can leave your household until you decide how to proceed (through the advice you will receive here)

Don't make any rash decisions, but don't withhold what you know too long. It is truly a cancer that will swallow you from the inside out.

best wishes,
sd

BH - me 53, ONS 1979
FWW - 51, 2 EA's, 1 PA
Last D-Day, Sep. 30, 2003
Last Contact/recovery began 2-26-04

***You can do anything with time and money...but remember...money won't buy you time!***
M
M
Sorry that this happened to you, but you are making it worse by keeping it under your hat. Sorry to have to say this, but you are coming off as a doormat. She obviously didn't love or respect you when she screwed another guy, so now that she thinks she has gotten away with it, you have no way of knowing if there is more infidelity with other men besides this one. The only way to deal with this is to confront, confront, confront. Show her the tape, make her take a poly as a condition for her remaining in the family home, and if she refuses, kick her out. Look at it this way, she has zero respect for you now, how could it get any worse? For you to be respected and love as a man and husband, you must act as a man and husband. Take charge!!

mirrormirror #2544014 09/14/11 03:37 PM
M
M
I may be sounding harsh, but I mean the best for you, Caughtoffguard. My wife had an affair as well, and I did what I have told you to do, and my marriage is recovering, you need to take control, also.

A
A
Question - how do you know it was from 20 years ago? Just because you moved from that area at that time?

You need to confront your wife.

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
mirrormirror #2544047 09/14/11 06:23 PM
I
I
'Enjoy' - What a sociopath.

This guy really needs a no contact letter from your wife where she tells him that ever allowing him near her was shameful and that he must never contact either of you again because her marriage means more to her than he ever did.

Then all avenues of contact will be blocked off so he can never respond.

But before that, you need the truth. Your w has chosen the 'secrecy is best' path so she will need to be pushed hard and possibly put through a poly. Mr W's plan is excellent, DO follow it.

DONT follow her bad example of deciding that secrecy is best. She owes you full remorse, explanations and a properly recovered mariage if that is what you decide.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

MrWondering #2544048 09/14/11 06:24 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MrWondering
Potential Plan

1. Snoop out whether anything is going on right now with anyone.

2. Snoop out any old evidence in box's and files you may be able to find (old letters, etc)

3. Old affairs are tough to get proof of so your best and likely only source is your wife so you'll need to plan the day of confrontation carefully.

a. Have the box you received sitting out. In it have an envelope (apparently with a letter inside) addressed to you and not just one videotape cassette but TWO additional videocassettes. Actually, the one your received needs to be in a vcr you have hooked up and ready to go.

b. Sit your wife down and have a short talk about having something important to show her. Hit play and life as we know it changes forever (it already has but that will be the bottom upon which you can rebuild or not)....

c. Tell wife that you received this box with the three tapes and the letter. One tape has only a voice explaining a bit about what I just showed you ...the letter explains more. So she better start talking and not leaving anything out.

[this is important....wayward liars INSIST on acquiring and assessing everything you know FIRST in order to figure out whether or not or where they can resume their lying. She knows what she did and has no right to seeing all the evidence FIRST to prove to her what she already knows. Obviously you are bluffing to an extent but you MAY only get one shot at the truth about your life so you better play it well. Often once you overcome the wall of denial you CAN get an honest wayward willing to just fess up to everything. If she knows all you've got is that tape...she'll only fess up to what you see on that tape and you'll never trust there wasn't more.

d. She must be pressed to tell the truth. All of it right then without giving her time to think (and conjure up lies). You may have to say she has one chance to tell you everything or you're gone. You must be believable. Maybe have some bags packed when she walks in so she knows she's serious.

4. I wouldn't wait long to do this. Holding this secret in is killing you (and what's left of your marriage). We can speculate about the stuff on the tape and who sent it to you forever but until you confront you won't know squat.

Mr. W

Good plan. I'll add that you should make sure and make a copy of that tape before you show it to your WW, and show her the copy, not the original. I wouldn't be surprised if she snatches it from the VCR and tries to destroy it.

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
ManInMotion #2544054 09/14/11 07:27 PM
M
M
Good point:

Originally Posted by MrWondering
Potential Plan

1. Snoop out whether anything is going on right now with anyone. Read the Operation Investigate forum for idea. First things first...check cell phone records for suspicious activity. Keylog her computer and look for secret email accounts. Search her car and belongs for a secret cell phone. If it's a long term affair that's the most likely means of continued contact.

2. Snoop out any old evidence in box's and files you may be able to find (old letters, old cell phone bills, old credit card bills, etc)

3. Old affairs are tough to get proof of so your best and likely only source of information is your wife so you'll need to plan the day of confrontation carefully.

[transfer the videotape to a CD, burn Two or three backups to insure you'll be able to confront without her destroying the proof and be able retain a copy should you ever need it. Sometimes early in a fake recovery they will essentially demand you destroy ALL copies...having a second backup will help you convince her you destroyed all copies while still having a back up to the back up should you need it one day to prove the truth about your life)

a. Have the box you received sitting out. In it have an envelope (apparently with a letter inside) addressed to you and not just one videotape cassette but TWO additional videocassettes. Actually, put the CD backup copy #1 in the cd rom drive on your laptop and you'll be ready to go. (this is a nice demonstration that you've already backed up the tapes and she need not bother trying to destroy them...you may have to indicate your attorney has a copy)

(a1) Have a voice activated digital recorder hidden nearby in the room you choose to confront her. Having a reference to her initial story could be valuable if she tries to later change the story and lie her way out of it. Under stress she won't be able to keep her stories straight. I know this may be another recording documenting further misery but you don't know if you'll be in a divorce proceeding soon trying to prove your case or not. Again...your marriage doesn't have a chance absent discovering all the truth.

c. Tell wife that you received this box with the three tapes and the letter. That you made this copy and another set for your attorney. One tape has only a voice explaining a bit about what I just showed you ...the letter explains more. Be purposefully vague as though you know everything (names, dates, places and times) so she better start talking and not leave anything out.

e. Once she's done ask if that is everything. Now because you've known and loved this woman all your life your instincts may be to believe her and FEEL she's told you the truth. Many a betrayed spouse has been lied to over and over again. On MB we call it trickle truth. Trickle truth is a huge impediment to recovery so you are much better off pressing her hard and then DEMANDING a polygraph. If she's been totally honest she SHOULD BE excited for the opportunity to prove she's being honest. Any hesitancy is a great indication of deceit. Also...your first instinct may be to not follow through with such polygraph...don't trust that instinct. If she's willing to do it...schedule it. Drive there and you'll be surprised that more "truth" will trickle out before the test.

Mr. W

ManInMotion #2544055 09/14/11 07:31 PM
O
O
Here is a thought. Get the tape. Get your wife and sit her down with the tape in your hand. Then give her the choice. "We can sit and watch this tape, or you can confess what you did twenty years ago with the man you were with on this tape. One chance. That way you are giving her a chance to confess. If she doesn't admit to what she did, make her watch the tape. You HAVE to get the date she betrayed you. As there was no protection used you may need to DNA your kids. I would have to know, not that it makes any difference of your love for them. But you have to know. The last thing you want is for one of them to go to the hospital and find out through incompatible blood type or the possibility of a health worker letting them know

ouchthathurt #2544130 09/15/11 07:10 AM
C
OP Offline
C
First of all, thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Believe me when I say that I've went through the last 27 years in the last 5 months trying to think where I missed something, I mean I have no clue. There is not one time in those years where I can point and say "we had a rough patch there".

I've watched the tape to see if I knew this guy or had been at that house. Nothing. To answer the one guys question she was not drugged or drunk. Someone asked "how do you know it was 20yrs ago" because there was a date on the video while it was running.

I've never felt that our relationship was ever combative, or anything like that.

I do want to know the truth but then again I don't. My other fear is how are my sons going to take it. Two of them are married and have wonderful spouses. They are very close to me and their mother.

In terms of being whimpy and letting her roll over me, i'm in a postion of authority in my profession and never in 30 years have I've been described as whimpy. I have went through some of our old crates and boxes to see if there were any clues. Nothing.

I apologize if I'm coming off defensive but this is hard!

J
J
What is your plan Caught?
I think Mr Wondering has a good idea as a way to get to the truth and to give your wife an opportunity to come clean on her own, I'm sure it must have eaten away at her to keep this from you.........
This secret will tear you apart over time, the truth needs to come out, obviously your wife made a mistake but you have to make sure whatever it was is over and that your children paternity is validated. It will not matter but you must know the truth........
I know this is very hard for you, don't do anything without a calm plan in place, get together some ideas that you will need, to get all the answers in one swoop......then give yourself and your wife a time period to reflect and then another discussion as to how you two go from that point......
Can you remember anything about who was around back then, maybe someone you wouldn't even think of........what was happened during that time line.......
27 years is a long marriage, get the truth and then find a way to move past it together............
jessi

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
T
T
I have went through some of our old crates and boxes to see if there were any clues. Nothing.

Look at your phone bills to see if there are numbers from back where you lived 20 years ago. Also look for any new unknown numbers. I would ask phone company if they can supply you with phone bills that go back to the date on the video.

This way you can see if there is a pattern. As has been pointed out this may have been going on for years. As has been said WW told OM NC and OM got mad and sent you the video.

Before you confront your WW put a keylogger on the PC and hide a VAR in WW car and your home. And, a realtime GPS on her car. This way after you confront WW may try and contact the OM. This is very important because most WW will lie and fight every inch of the way to give their BH the whole truth.

Even when confronted with a video. BH doesn't know OM and I have been doing every year for 20 years so I will admitt to the one time on the video.

Then WW will most likely break NC to find out what the OM told you/gave you so she will know what she has to admitt to and keep silent on. Also just to curse out the OM.

Sad to say time to DNA test your kids.

C
C
First of all, thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Believe me when I say that I've went through the last 27 years in the last 5 months trying to think where I missed something, I mean I have no clue. There is not one time in those years where I can point and say "we had a rough patch there".

Caught, I too am sorry you have found yourself here.I'm not far behind you, been married 22 years. Is it possible (and are you ready to hear this?) that you have been living your marriage with your eyes wide shut? Obviously there has been a rough patch.

I've watched the tape to see if I knew this guy or had been at that house. Nothing. To answer the one guys question she was not drugged or drunk. Someone asked "how do you know it was 20yrs ago" because there was a date on the video while it was running.

I've never felt that our relationship was ever combative, or anything like that.

The sad thing is, that this could be just about anyone. Old friend, old boyfriend, co-worker, church friend... random guy. This is why it's important to find out.

I do want to know the truth but then again I don't. My other fear is how are my sons going to take it. Two of them are married and have wonderful spouses. They are very close to me and their mother.

You have to know the truth. The sad part is that this generally becomes a pattern for living. Either a long term affair, or generally, many affair partners. I'd be surprised if this was the only incident. I know it is hard, but the truth is freeing. Think of it like balancing your checkbook. You don't find an overdraft and say I am not going to correct it, I will just let the outstanding balance sit forever and hope it will auto-correct. It doesn't work that way.

If you are close to your kids, then you should, out of love for them, tell them. They will understand and support you.

In terms of being whimpy and letting her roll over me, i'm in a postion of authority in my profession and never in 30 years have I've been described as whimpy. I have went through some of our old crates and boxes to see if there were any clues. Nothing.

except marriage isn't a profession and she's not an employee. We all (us betrayed spouses ) generally find ourselves in a quandry that is nearly unescapable when we find out our spouse has been unfaithful. normal rules don't apply anymore.

I apologize if I'm coming off defensive but this is hard!

it *is* hard. But it gets easier as you work the MB plan and face this head on.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation