Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
asiasunset #2553935 10/16/11 06:05 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by asiasunset
[ Our relationship wasn't based on a lie....everyone knew where they stood.

Yes, you did decieve him. You lied when you made your vows. Your affair was based on thoughtlessness, cruelty and betrayal. As far as deceit goes, I sort of doubt you notified your husband before you crawled into the pig pen with OM and acted like a pig. Did you sign off with your husband before you put out?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2553936 10/16/11 06:07 PM
I
I
YOU. HAD. AN. AFFAIR.

Can you say that without excuses?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

asiasunset #2553937 10/16/11 06:08 PM
M
M
I am curious. How does a single girl with such a sordid past get dates with nice guys? I don't know any decent guys who would date you. Are you open and honest about the fact that you are a loud and proud adultress? That seems to be something that any potential suitors would want to know up front.

And since you are so promiscuous, have you been checked for STDs?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2553941 10/16/11 06:17 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[ Our relationship wasn't based on a lie....everyone knew where they stood.

Yes, you did decieve him. You lied when you made your vows. Your affair was based on thoughtlessness, cruelty and betrayal. As far as deceit goes, I sort of doubt you notified your husband before you crawled into the pig pen with OM and acted like a pig. Did you sign off with your husband before you put out?

That isn't even enough.

Did you know the OM before you decided to start shagging OM? A "friend," or coworker of yours? The fog is when you compared the OM to your husband and found your husband "lacking" so you decided "the marriage is over."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
MelodyLane #2553943 10/16/11 06:21 PM
I
I
Quite honestly, we should not have gotten married. The church I belonged to put alot of pressure on the single people to get married.

But your h prob took the act of you standing up before everyone and vowing to love him forever quite seriously. Shame you didnt.

He really loved me and I thought that would be enough.

Well... it is. When people stay faithful and work on their problems together.

You are still entirely clueless about the fact that what you did to your h, the closest person in life to you is the worst thing one person can do to another. It is prob the worst thing this man has ever gone through. You are therefore still in the fog because you cant see this obvious fact, right in front of you.

The fog makes you think that cheating is ok, understandable, unavoidable even.

Justifiable reasons make it more comfortable to enjoy a hit on the crack pipe without feeling as guilty

Instead of KNOWING - as you did before the A - that adultery is just flat-out wrong.

MelodyLane #2553944 10/16/11 06:26 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I am curious. How does a single girl with such a sordid past get dates with nice guys? I don't know any decent guys who would date you. Are you open and honest about the fact that you are a loud and proud adultress? That seems to be something that any potential suitors would want to know up front.

Wow! How rude!

Ok clearly, this was a mistake. Hopefully when others come here for answers, they will not be greeted this way. The fog, yeah I see what it means here. If you fall in love and get married, it HAS to work. Even if someone no longer wants/loves their spouse, they are all kinds of horrible for moving on. I read somewhere on here that it takes two to create an environment that gives affairs life. But from the sounds of the folks who responded so harshly, they are innocent. Their spouse is just a dog and their pain outweighs the other persons mental health (so to speak).

Being cheated on sucks. But someone here said losing a child was easier? And yet I can't see the lunacy in my statements??? That is crazy talk!! Listen if a spouse has such little respect as to cheat and NOT tell you it's over, they are pretty weak. Some things are black and white....if a married person falls in love with another person, albeit it wrong, doesn't make them an alien, crazy, foggy as you guys have demonstrated to me, or anything else. They need something different. Cheating doesn't trump all of the other problems in a relationship. That is relative. But all of the mean, harsh statements made to me indicates I asked the wrong group of people what this means. So all of the second marriages that last 20 - 30 years with affair partners are foggy? Didn't mean anything? Based on lies? Not making light of anyone's circumstances but if people on here think cheating is worse than murder and rape, I'm sorry but clearly someone here is "foggy".

indiegirl #2553948 10/16/11 06:33 PM
D
D
You are still so deep in the fog that you aren't seeing that what happened to your BS is IMO the HARDEST thing to ever have to deal with in life. You are trying to justify what you did by shifting blame on how he didn't meet your needs instead taking the blame for your actions. Many of the people on these forums are BS's and are trying to get you to see outside of the fog. I would advise not arguing with them and actually listening to what they have to say.

banghead

BH:28
WW:35
Married 4/28/07
SD-8
DS-2
D-Day 5/20/11, also day she officially left me
EA started Apr '11
PA started Jun '11
FR 9/14/11
asiasunset #2553949 10/16/11 06:35 PM
M
M
The reason I asked if you were honest about your sleazy past is because my son is 29 and just got married late last year.

Many of his friends are getting married now. One of his childhood friends was getting very serious about a woman who was divorced and around 30. But he dumped her like an STD ridden hot potato once he learned she had an affair in her previous marriage. sick

So, I am curious how you get dates with nice guys? Is that even possible with your past?

Exposure 101

asiasunset #2553950 10/16/11 06:36 PM
M
M
Wow! How rude!.

I apologize for my rudeness. I should never have made that insulting comparison to pigs. That is not fair to pigs. They have done nothing wrong. frown

Exposure 101

DG23 #2553952 10/16/11 06:38 PM
S
S
so what you're saying is that you personalized your vows:

"for better or worse, or until I don't want you anymore, don't love you anymore, or you have one too many jobs and don't perform to my standards".

me: bw, 50
he: wh, 51

m: 1990
sep: 2007

dd: 18
ds: 14
dd: 11

multiple affairs: two with past gf's, one email dalliance.
Too many d-days to count. First one 2/06. After all this time, it's still my fault.

I've had enough. Divorce in progress.
asiasunset #2553953 10/16/11 06:38 PM
I
I

Wow! How rude!".

Not really. Your assertation was that you were totally honest about yourself. ML was just saying that it must be difficult to be of any interest to nice men. Well, it must be.

[quote=MelodyLane] If you fall in love and get married, it HAS to work. ".

No, you just have to not cheat on them.

Even if someone no longer wants/loves their spouse, they are all kinds of horrible for moving on. .

For moving on, no. For cheating, yes.

But from the sounds of the folks who responded so harshly, they are innocent. Their spouse is just a dog and their pain outweighs the other persons mental health (so to speak).

On the contrary. My WH is not a dog. I hate the sin, not the sinner. If he repents properly I will listen. And his mental issues at the moment are about AS bad as my pain.

Listen if a spouse has such little respect as to cheat and NOT tell you it's over, they are pretty weak. ".

Oh yes you are quite right. But cheating AND telling is no better! The trick is NOT TO CHEAT AT ALL

[....if a married person falls in love with another person, albeit it wrong, doesn't make them an alien, crazy, foggy as you guys have demonstrated to me, or anything else. They need something different. Cheating doesn't trump all of the other problems in a relationship".

Yes it does. Cheating is wrong. Someone must have told you this some time.

indiegirl #2553956 10/16/11 06:45 PM
I
I
Do you think cheating is right or wrong?

Try to answer without the words 'but' 'yet' or 'however'

If you had problems in your marriage you should have solved them or divorced. Cleanly. With no one else in the picture.

And you dont 'fall in love' with people while you are married unless you are hanging out with them and allowing them to meet needs that should be met by your h.

If you realised you had inappropriate feelings for an OM you should have cut all contact with him.

Not told your h. 'Ill be late in tonight dear, Im going out cheating. Why are you so upset? Wouldnt you rather KNOW? Sheesh'

asiasunset #2553957 10/16/11 06:49 PM
P
P
I agree. You did pick wrong. We don't sugarcoat the ugliness of adultery. Fact: you were married when you hooked up with someone else. You don't just "fall in love with someone else", it doesn't just happen. It doesn't work that way. It takes effort. You made your choice and it was wrong. No one says you have to stay married, good grief, but you don't cheat. You file for divorce, take time to heal and THEN start thinking about a new relationship.

Why do you refuse to say who you were on MB before? Afraid we'll discover that things didn't happen the way you report now?

I hope your friend does come here where she can get some help because she obviously needs it.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
asiasunset #2553961 10/16/11 06:53 PM
M
M
asia, part of the affair fog is minimizing your vicious behavior and sweeping it under the rug as you have. Let's take a look at what Dr Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders has to say about your adultery.

Some of Dr Harley's posts to members on the weekend forum:

written to a WH:
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Since you've had an affair, I would imagine that your wife is very emotionally defensive about the subject. It's the worst experience of her life -- worse than the loss of her son five years ago. Can you imagine anything being that bad? Well, you did it to her, and she is suffering as a result. It's all she can do to remain rational. If she were to express herself emotionally at this point, she would probably be expressing deep feelings of hopelessness and catastrophic loss. By trying to be rational, she is able to focus on the practical side of the issue.
here

"We regard infidelity as the worst offense in marriage. More damaging than physical abuse. And when a couple goes through a period of time when their relationship is broken, and they are not meeting each other's emotional needs, infidelity is very common. Granted, we can even patch these marriages together when the incentive to reconcile (children) is present. But it would be much easier and much less painful if you and your husband never had to go through it.
here

From "Defending Traditional Marriage" pg 143:

An affair is devastating to a betrayed spouse. It�s one of the most painful experiences that he or she could ever endure. In fact, most betrayed spouses cannot think of a single tragedy that is worse for them than the affair. Consider these examples (names have been changed to protect their identity)

* Nancy's father was murdered, her mother died of a very aggressive cancer in the same year. Both were very close to Nancy, and their sudden deaths were devastating to her. But she reported that the pain she suffered from her husband's affair was far more devastating.

* Cindy had been sexually molested by her father in her early teens. Yet her husband's one-year affair with a woman he met while away on business created far more trauma for her than her father's irresponsible behavior.

* Julie was raped by a stranger when she attended college. She told us that the rape paled in comparison to her struggle with her husband's two year affair with a female co worker.

* Robin was gang raped when she was twenty three. She reported that her husband�s one year affair with a woman he met at a local bar was much more difficult to overcome than the physical and emotional damage from the rape.

* Chad's six year old son died in a backyard accident. He said the pain he suffered from his wife's affair with a neighbor was far greater than the pain from his son's tragic death.

* Sylvia's younger sister was raped and murdered by a stranger when Sylvia was twenty one. But her husband's five month affair with a co-worker caused her to suffer more than the brutal death of her younger sister, whom she cared for deeply.

These are just a few of the testimonials that we have recorded when counseling victims of infidelity at the Marriage Builders Counseling Center. Scores of others have told me the same thing. A spouse's affair is the just about the worst experience in anyone's life.

Dr Harley also discusses it here:

After having counseled thousands of couples with hundreds of marital conflicts, I am completely convinced that a spouse's unfaithfulness is the most painful experience that can be inflicted in marriage. Those I've counseled who have
had the tragic misfortune of having experienced rape, physical abuse, sexual abuse of their children, and infidelity have consistently reported to me that their spouse's unfaithfulness was their very worst experience
. To be convinced of the devastating impact of infidelity, you only need to go through it once.
How to Survive Infidelity

Exposure 101

H
H
I disagree, peachy.

You divorce, take time to heal, LEARN WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE A RELATIONSHIP WORK AND LAST (hint, its not a trust and a little bit of pixie dust), and then move on.

This woman can't take responsibility for her adultery, let alone fathom how else she may have contributed to the poor state of her marriage before she alone placed the nail in the coffin.

Please, don't run poor soul. We are only trying to correct your rectocranial inversion.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

asiasunset #2553965 10/16/11 07:00 PM
M
M
Being cheated on sucks.
No. Getting a speeding ticket 'sucks'. Having to pay taxes 'sucks'.

Cheating on your spouse is an assault on their soul. I am appalled at your flippant attitude about something that is so killing to another person.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
H
Oh, but she got cheated on when she was dating! She "knows" what its like to be "cheated on" by someone you can drop like a bad habit because there are no children, and no legal, financial, or property binds tying them together... Not to mention those pesky marriage vows!

asiasunset #2553973 10/16/11 07:13 PM
M
M
Hopefully when others come here for answers, they will not be greeted this way. The fog, yeah I see what it means here. If you fall in love and get married, it HAS to work. Even if someone no longer wants/loves their spouse, they are all kinds of horrible for moving on.
Hopefully they will ALWAYS be greeted this way! We don't advocate for marriages to last until one spouse gets bored and decides that the twit co-worker (or whomever) who is flirting with them looks better.

Um, yeah. If you fall in love and get married, it has to work. That's what you agreed to. Did you think it would work all by itself, that your M would just run itself? Why would you delude yourself like that? Why would you play that game with the man you promised to spend your life with? Oh, wait - he didn't know that you were just kidding. Got it.

The sad truth is that there are people who will get married because it feels good AT THE TIME, and they get all caught up in the festivities surrounding a lifetime commitment. Then they're all puzzled and confused when reality presents itself, and they realize that they actually have to nurture their marriage and work to make it healthy.

You obviously missed that part of the lesson. You are an emotionally unhealthy person. I'm sorry to have to tell you that. But I suspect that you know it already. It is evident in your life.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

HoldHerHand #2553977 10/16/11 07:17 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I disagree, peachy.

You divorce, take time to heal, LEARN WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE A RELATIONSHIP WORK AND LAST (hint, its not a trust and a little bit of pixie dust), and then move on.

This woman can't take responsibility for her adultery, let alone fathom how else she may have contributed to the poor state of her marriage before she alone placed the nail in the coffin.

Please, don't run poor soul. We are only trying to correct your rectocranial inversion.

Since Peachy hasn't posted on this thread I assume you were responding to me. You're absolutely right though, but I meant part of that healing WOULD include learning how to make a MARRIAGE work. I guess I should have spelled it out since I was posting to someone who clearly is in denial about what she did.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
asiasunset #2553983 10/16/11 07:31 PM
M
M
So all of the second marriages that last 20 - 30 years with affair partners are foggy?

See that's another of the great big lies. VERY few affairs result in second (third, fourth, fifth) marriages and the ones that do RARELY last more than 3 years. Of that SMALL percentage that do, a GREAT sickness has been reported herein time and time again (many people have posted about their parents in long-term affairages and it ain't pretty...most are estranged from such "happy" parents).

You see...some affairs partners just stick together like sticky turds in a toilet bowl. After giving up so much to be together they can't allow their pride to overcome their ability to reason and they just stay in their affairage despite the misery and all indications they should quit. Others are so broke from their divorces they simply can't afford a divorce.

I have not seen a single example of a successful affairage. They may remain married. They may ACT happy...
But no matter how much you try to polish a turd...
it's still a turd

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation