Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 52 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 51 52
C
OP Offline
C
No word from his workplace yet. He's applying at the main office about 40 mikes away today for a position he is qualified for-and his dad knows the hiring manager. So fingers crossed
He brought me lunch at my office and finished his resume and sent it off.

Me: BS 25
Him: WS 24
Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

My story here: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2551691#Post2551691

DDAY 10/30/10 (affair 2/10-10/10)
FR Reveal 10/5/2010 (affair 4/29/11-10/5/11)

Plan A 10/11/11
J
J
nice work, breathe and step forward.........I want you to make sure you thank your husband each and every time he does the right thing........
he is trying to right the wrong here......
be proud of yourself, it is a lot easier to run then to do the work.......

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
C
OP Offline
C
I do. He made me a bkfst sandwich and put it in my purse and took dd5 to school. I thanked him.

He brought me lunch I thanked him.

I told him I'm excited about his job opportunity (it's a higher pay too!) *cross fingers for me *

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

My story here: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2551691#Post2551691

Plan A 10/11/11
C
OP Offline
C
For us **

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
J
J
done

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
C
OP Offline
C
I hope at least this works out. It'd be about an hour commute each way but better than working w ow or not working.

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
M
M
Originally Posted by confusedandtorn
I hope at least this works out. It'd be about an hour commute each way but better than working w ow or not working.
Maybe you can move closer to his job? Somewhere that is convenient to both of your jobs?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

C
C
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I gave her my MOM FACE (you know) and I said:
"That was true in the past, but that is no longer who you are. You've grown and changed tremendously in the last year. I've seen you pull yourself together under stress and function just fine. I think you should drop that image of yourself, because it is out of date."

Guess whar DD said?

"You're right. I am better than that now."

Off she went ...... LaLaLa

What out of date ideas/images do you haul around about yourself?
Dump the old crap.
You're better than that.

This is what we do for our children, and it means more than most parents ever know.

My Dad was a very negative person also, and know ing that it was HIS problem, and still wanting to please him, and ridiculous standards,(It was just not me who thought so, as it turns out I found out later on in my teens, that everybody knew he had problems), did not stop me from the reactions to critisism I had developed as a young boy.

I became a guilt magnet, willing to take the blame, and tote that barge, lift that bale, and take on the problems of the world.

It is very unbalanced and I had to, have to, constantly "self talk", myself into not taking the blame for everything, and some things are not my responsibility.

Its the reactions that I have a problem with, not the acual facts, because it is the way I look at them, and the desire to fix the problems, when they are not my problems in the first place.

What it does to the positive side, is make me extremely practical, and a problem solver, which made me also a responsible supervisor, at a young age, and my ability to solve technical problems is off the charts. But to the negative side, I can also look like I am in a bad mood, and appear like I am treating people like they don't know anything, and over explain things. These things are done unknowingly, and it is because I was raised by a tyrant, who treated me like I was stupid.

So I get defensive,(Bitchy?), and don't mean to, I just find it important to be clear, and I don't take responsibilty lightly,(Over compensating).

But not under pressure, it is a different story, I can think before I speak, and listen to what I am saying, and listen to what people are asking, and be more personable.

That may be what others see in you C&T, a seriuosness they do not understand. Only those who have been through it, know how this works.

The world will not stop spinning if you don't keep all the plates spinning on the sticks.

Everybody understands things from thier own experiences and has their own outlook.

Everybody wants to be understood. This part has to do with listening, and the panic buttons we push in ourselves, becuase of habits we developed, in childhood, in our thinking,can block our listening.

This does not mean that we are wrong in our thinking, but it does mean that we might jump the gun, and seem to correct someone harshly, even when we use the best and most polite lauguage as we talk to them. It was amazing to me when I asked employees what they thought of how I talked to them, and they revealed to me that I talked down to them.

So maybe I was taking myself to seriuosly? There it is, and I was conditioned to do this.

I remember a story of a young man who was being raised by a very critical father. The father was a genius in the technical realm, but nothing anybody did was good enough as far as he was concerned. One day the teenager went down to the tracks and laid down in front of a train and ended his life. That could have been me if it was left up to my father, thank God for my mother, she knew children have capacitys, and grow in there failures, as they learn that it is OK to fail.

I told my kids, "Show me a man who has never made a mistake, and I will show you a man who has never learned anything" I also told them not to make excuses for themselves, and some mistakes can bring consequences that they would live with the rest of thier lives. They could run, but they could not hide, and they would have to deal with them ultimatly in the long run, one way or another.

I hope that was the right thing to say, it seems right to me, but I have no personal experience to draw from.

If you are suffering from insecurity, and beating yourself up, taking on the world, guilt for everything, you are not alone. Your friend who told you to "self talk" affirmation and is holding you accountable is a freind indeed, and I hope you can get help in therapy for it, that depends on the therapist, and thier objectivity.

What your H has done, I believe he does not know how deeply this has effected you, and it is your job to show him, because it is the responsible thing to do, as you understand him also, and how he let it happen. Maybe because you thought it was up to you, to make everything right. But understand this, that unless something is worked for, it won't be appreciated, and he has just as much say in this as you, and has as much to gain, in working on the marrige.

Its an investment for life, unless he is a renter, and not an owner in the marrige. His insistance on sex constantly, might be because that is the only thing he feels he can do right, and the freedom of it with OW is what he craves, because really he needs affirmation too.

Have you done the EN questionare yet? what are his needs really? It can't be just sex, and if you think guys are just all about sex, you would be wrong. It might turn out to be very revealing to him also, and probably will deepen your relationship, in ways you could not believe right now.

Trust in the plan.

How are you doing with the books BTW?

C
C
Originally Posted by confusedandtorn
Ya I think that's huge. I practically idolized him as this amazing man. Everyone envied us, what we've built from such a young age. And I feel like we've gone from top to bottom in no time flat. It's surreal and hard to accept,

I had a pastor tell me in seminary "CV, be careful what you make idols out of, God breaks the knees of idols". Oh how true that was!!

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
OP Offline
C
URGENT: NEED ADVICE

Ok guys, I need advice here.

WH job has not gotten back to us. WH applied for a better job as mentioned about, at another division of the company. It's hard to explain without telling you where he works to explain the division thing, but basically, he works for a recreational division of the company now - about 45 miles away or so is the main corporate office division. His dad works there. (its a huge place). There is a job he is qualified for, actually more money, and his dad knows the hiring manager so he has a shot.

With his current job not getting back to him, we are wondering if they just want him to quit.

IF HE QUITS: We lose my car immediately (company car), we lose insurance, we CANNOT get insurance at my work (qualifying event is INVOLUNTARY separation from his co) until January 1, 2012 and it will be another $300 a month, we lose income, no unemployment. He can work for my uncle (as long as my uncle doesnt back out, which he has been known to do) temporarily, for less money, no benefits. He MAY lost a shot at this new job because they will want to know why he left his current co. AND it is an internal position only (no outsiders)

IF THEY LET HIM GO: We still lose the car. We can get insurance at my work for $300 a month, we can get unemployment (which is probably around what he'd get paid w my uncle), but he still may lose the shot at the new job at the other division.

IF THEY FIRE HIM: No bueno, we lose everything listed above. I doubt they do this, I think it's more likely they make him quit.

And my final option, the one I really NEED ADVICE on: IF they do not compromise and say "we can't meet those requests what do you want to do?" DO I LET HIM GO BACK TEMPORARILY...until he can get a job at the other division or somewhere else? We talked about it last night - he agrees leaving there is the right thing to do for our family, and agrees he needs out ASAP...BUT...would it be irresponsible and detrimental to our family to just walk away without something else lined up? Will it be detrimental to our recorvery to let him there temporarily? He didn't really like the idea of having to go back there...but the one thing is that it might harm his chances of this other spot...thats his only hang up, he doesnt care about anything else. I am worried about insurance (hello therapy, kids) and my car (I drive a lot for work, and his car is a stick shift which I cant drive). So my question is: CAN WE LET HIM GO BACK THERE, TEMPORARILY, AND STILL MOVE FORWARD AND SAVE THIS MARRIAGE? He started to say things like he can park out back so she doesnt see him, he can take stairwells, etc. I think there is still a chance they'd run into each other, but it is a 3 story building, so it's not like they are sitting by each other. His coworkers and boss know so its not like they can hang out at each others desks, and I can meet him there for lunch EVERYDAY. I am not trying to rationalize, just trying to give all the facts.

Please give me your thoughts. Please.

He says he is going to call them at noon today. He is out of vacation time as of Monday, so if we don't have an answer....we are SOL.

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
R
R
Can he apply for FLMA family medical leave? This would leave him still technically employed (although without pay). And maybe he could work for your uncle as well?

Married 10 years

his:
DD 32, 29, 28
mine:
DS 18, DD 15
ours:
DS 8, DD 5
C
OP Offline
C
Id have to see what qualifies....but he couldn't work for my uncle on fmla-that's illegal. So we'd still lose his income and couldn't afford to pay for the car or insurance

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
R
R
Oh I didn't realize that was illegal. I wasn't trying to suggest you do something unethical. Sorry!

Married 10 years

his:
DD 32, 29, 28
mine:
DS 18, DD 15
ours:
DS 8, DD 5
C
OP Offline
C
It's ok smile fmla is a leave from work....that'd be like taking disability and working somewhere else

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
C
OP Offline
C
I'm thinking I let him go back as long as he is in and out at appropriate hours and sees me at lunch. And continues w the job shift. Am I off base?!?!

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
C
OP Offline
C
I'm freaking out. Ahhhh

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
C
C
Wait for hr to make a descision

They are probably waiting for WH to "calm you down" and wondering how much they will accually have to do

Follow up with an email to them at the appropriate time

Vets?

Don't back down from getting him a position at the other branch

You have alittle cash saved can you tighten your belts a little longer?

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
C
OP Offline
C
I made a new thread...should I delete it?

I don't know what I will do without a car etc. I'm just thinking if they call and say "we can't do anything what do you want to do" we need to be prepared w an answer

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
C
OP Offline
C
And I'm not backing down on him leaving there permanently...this would on,y be temporary and he agrees he is leaving there

Dd#1 5 years
dd#2 18months

Plan A 10/11/11
C
C
If he stays, even for only awhile, recovery will be harder, and it will take longer, if it happens at all

Do you understand the depth of the addictive nature here?

It's an animal C&T, just have to say, if he stays you will be playing with fire

Just sayin.....

Page 37 of 52 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation