Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
H
I wish you luck.

This is not an easy road, and I was hesitant at first, it does need to be done.

D-Day 13 Sep 2011
Married 19 years
My age 40
WH age 46
Children Boy 8 girl 6
Currently trying to get my children back. He took them for 3 hours on 10/19/2011
WS left 10/18/2011
As soon as my children are home again I will be working on the darkest Plan B possible
My marriage is over !
I
I
I wish you luck and godspeed. Doing the right thing is rarely easy but always worth it.

Last edited by indiegirl; 10/22/11 07:08 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
OP Offline
L
Well, my parents took it well. Told my wife I told them and she did not take it well. Sounds like my kids will have a broken family. I can show them what good love is about though.

wife is pi$$ed. We all support her and want to help, but she wants something else. She wants to wait 6 months, I'm thinking the end of the yr, then she can take care of her own books/taxes.

I must be a real piece of crap if she can't decide between family and herself.

And they say "water boarding" is bad? Walk in the park compared to this bs.(no, not betrayed spouse)

God does not waste a hurt.

DDay 9.10.11
Me:BH
M
M
When are you going to tell that boy's parents?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
Exactly.

LL? The boy's parents are 100% priority.

M
M
LL, how did the boys parents and your sons take it? That is my main concern. I am not concerned in the least about your wife. My sympathy goes out to your boys and the other boys parents.

Also, did you see my post about not leaving your home? That would be a strategically bad move. If she wants to separate, I would help her pack her bags and tell her bye-bye.

You are doing great, but please give us a report on the boy's parents and your own sons. That is the main concern.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by LuckyLad
wife is pi$$ed. We all support her and want to help

What you have been offering is not support at all, but a form of ENABLING. You have helped her be a bad person. That is not a demonstration of love.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The concept of unconditional love in marriage usually refers to a spouse�s lifelong commitment to care for the other spouse regardless of what the other spouse does. I�m in favor of a lifelong commitment to care regardless of unfavorable circumstances (health problems, financial setbacks, and other factors outside a couple�s control that can negatively impact a marriage). But I�m opposed to a lifelong commitment to care for a spouse when that spouse makes marriage-wrecking choices. It tends to give such people unrealistic expectations of entitlement�that they should be cared for, regardless of their willingness to care in return. Neglect and abuse characterize many marriages based on unconditional love.

Basically, you don't have a marriage right now and haven't for some time. A big part of the problem is that you have such low standards that she is simply living down to your expectations. She knows you are so desperate that she can do anything and you will beg for more. That has to change if you want to have a marriage. But right now, you don't have a marriage. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Set her down and explain to her that you want to have a romantic, loving, SAFE marriage and that you are not willing to settle for less and won�t stay in a loveless marriage. Tell her you are willing to give her an opportunity to earn your forgiveness. In order for the marriage to recover, certain things have to happen. This is what it will take to keep you interested:

1. no more nights apart or going out without each other - create a healthy, integrated lifestyle

2. complete transparency - cell phone passwords, etc

3. no more opposite sex friendships

4. complete honesty about her affair<s> � passing a polygraph

5. commit to a program of recovery that restores the romantic love in your marriage

Tell her "this is what it will take to keep me in this marriage." Whether your marriage ends up with success or failure will depend almost entirely on her willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become absolutely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. Unless she makes a 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife, your marriage won't recover, it will be a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this approach, because if she won't do these things, you will have lost nothing except a loveless, abusive marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
She wants to wait 6 months

Wait for WHAT, exactly?

This is symptomatic of your entire balled-up approach to the problem, sir!

YOU are to be setting the paradigms of what is to happen - the process, the schedule, the checkpoints, the expected results, and the decision loci as to whether to proceed.

Yielding to her even her THOUGHTS about deciding on the steps forward yet again empowers her in her self-entitled fantasy-world. ARGGHHHHHHH!

Barkeep - another double! And leave the bottle!

M
M
She wants to wait 6 months, I'm thinking the end of the yr, then she can take care of her own books/taxes.

The wayward does not get to dictate the terms here. You set the terms and she either gets on board here or she needs to get out. You already have that apartment and I think that is perfect for her. Your wife is a messed up, selfish person who has been allowed to control and destroy your marriage and your family. She should not be allowed to drive anymore.

Exposure 101

M
M
Praying, LuckyLad.

There are unanswered questions above. I think you know they are very important.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
T
T
LL, listen to MB, ML, and NG.....they are as consistent with the advice as any on this thread.

You have to tell the OM ( boy ) parents..... They need to know so they can help him.

Me (BH): 42
Her (WS): 39
Married 19 yrs
DD: 16, DD: 11, DD: 7
D-Day: 7-5-2011, Caught searching 10-15-2012
M
M
Well, my parents took it well. Told my wife I told them and she did not take it well. Sounds like my kids will have a broken family. I can show them what good love is about though.

wife is pi$$ed. We all support her and want to help, but she wants something else. She wants to wait 6 months, I'm thinking the end of the yr, then she can take care of her own books/taxes.

You know that the spouse's reaction to exposure is always rage and is irrelevant at this point because it doesn't predict anything, right? Just thought I'd mention that.

The BS always comes back and says "my marriage is over!" because the WS is enraged. The WS is pretty much always enraged and says it's over. Even the WS's who recover do that!

Finish the exposure, LuckyLad.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Praying for the boy.

C
C

I must be a real piece of crap if she can't decide between family and herself.

And they say "water boarding" is bad? Walk in the park compared to this bs.(no, not betrayed spouse)

God does not waste a hurt.

LL, please understand that exposure just brings what is already there to light. Her feelings, how angry she is, the fact she has been fence sitting in the marriage, everything. It was all there before exposure. It is the first part of ridding your marriage of the cancerous infection of adultery. It scabbed over but wasn't healing. You just ripped the scab off to see the infection for what it was, now start treating it.

BTW, tell the kid's parents... It's part of that infection... A HUGE part.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
L
OP Offline
L
When you expose to WS family, how do they typically take it? How should I approach her parents? Face to face or over the phone? FtoF is more meaningful, imho, but I don't know. The A is over, it is just to help her out, right? I don't want people to think that I am doing this to hurt my kids and wife, so how do I word it?

Thanks

DDay 9.10.11
Me:BH
M
M
When you expose to WS family, how do they typically take it? How should I approach her parents? Face to face or over the phone? FtoF is more meaningful, imho, but I don't know. The A is over, it is just to help her out, right? I don't want people to think that I am doing this to hurt my kids and wife, so how do I word it?

Thanks
Are you doing this together with your WW? There's really no 'typical' way a wayward's family takes exposure. They'll support WW or they won't. They'll be shocked, or they won't. It depends on them.

When are you exposing the A to the child's parents?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M

Thanks

Have you told the boys parents? Have you told your sons?

Exposure 101

M
M
Why are you dragging this out?

Exposure 101

H
H
Lucky Lad, Please listen to these wonderful people on here.
I have a step son, if something like this were to happen to him, I would definitely want and need to know.
That boy is going to need support from his family wether he knows it or not.
Please please please do not delay any longer.
I will say a prayer for you today.

D-Day 13 Sep 2011
Married 19 years
My age 40
WH age 46
Children Boy 8 girl 6
Currently trying to get my children back. He took them for 3 hours on 10/19/2011
WS left 10/18/2011
As soon as my children are home again I will be working on the darkest Plan B possible
My marriage is over !
C
C

Thanks

I would do this:

I would call them and ask if you can meet them without the boy, and don't bring your wife.

I would sit down with them and tell them that there is a serious [problem that you need help with. That your wife had been sleeping with their underage son for X amount of time and you caught her. Explain how you found out, the details that you know. Explain to them that you have put boundaries in place and ask them to help you maintain those boundaries on their end (no contact). Don't ask them or plead with them in regards to repercussions for your wife (unless they are threatening her physically). Be open and honest.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation