Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Originally Posted by Just Learning
Mel,
I agree and disagree and that is mainly semantics. OC will grow up go to school be in events that he/she will want her parents to attend. Parents? There can be no Mom goes to the play, OM goes to the play and H stays home, that I totally agree with. Will OM and Mom need to talk about serious issues that can arise in OC's life? Yes, given that OM is in OC's life. Is that contact? Is it good? No it is not. Is there someway to buffer this so that there is no 1on1 time? Sure and those ways need to be explored.

Yes, and the way to buffer is to follow Dr Harley's advice and designate an intermediary. Which she has already done. No contact is a condition of recovery that she is committed to. It is not "limited" contact, but NO contact. EVER. Parents don't ever need to speak to each other directly. There is nothing to be said that can't be communicated through an intermediary. People in Plan B do it every day. It is no big deal.

What is important is not whether you and I "agree or disagree" but whether Dr Harley agrees. And that is the point here.

And sure, there might be future events, like graduations, etc, but even those are rare and maintaining no contact is not difficult in a crowd.

The important thing is to help her find ways to achieve no contact instead of trying to conjure excuses for her to break it. Like Dr Harley told her, find a way to make it work. And that is what we are here for, isn't it?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
And what is Dr Harley's stance on contact?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"If the OM wants visitation, I recommend that it be done with transparency, so his own family knows what's going on. A mediator, paid by him, is to pick up and deliver the child so that you and your husband never have to have any contact with him."
here

"The path to surviving an affair begins by never seeing or talking to the other person in the affair again. Without that condition, survival is essentially impossible. So it's extremely important for Robin to avoid seeing or talking to him ever again. Granted, the affair may be over, but I am always concerned about the possibility of it becoming rekindled. If, for some reason, it is impossible to keep him away from his daughter, I suggest that you find an intermediary, so that whenever he has visitation, he does not see or talk to Robin or you."
What to Do When You (or Your Spouse) Becomes Pregnant with a Lover's Child

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks, Mel. I actually have bookmarked those links since I first found MB. smile

JL, I really appreciate your feedback, because I do respect you--particularly the insight you offer into how to change one's attitude towards a spouse in a way that will nurture a better relationship. I learned a lot about how to treat my husband better. I had hoped that eventually it would change his attitude towards me.

As for the threat of divorce, I have had to seriously explain to him why that option is possible if he continues to refuse change. Yesterday he had an appointment to get on anti-anxiety meds and he skipped. So...no meds. frown That was a huge concern, since it's a step that he NEEDS in order to reform the abusive tendancies and he's refusing. How much time is enough before it's time to follow through on a threat?

As for BH never seeing OC again, I would never do that to him. I even signed a contract that guaranteed him visitation in the event of divorce, which OM signed as well. I already caused so much hurt with my A that I couldn't possibly hurt him again by withholding OC.

I have been open and honest about why NC is necessary while still trying to protect BH's feelings. BH still feels like I need to "deal with" any residual feelings for OM and stop being a "baby" about the no contact thing, but he really doesn't understand just how serious my feelings for OM were and why any contact whatsoever is damaging. I try to explain; he shuts down and says I'm selfish and it's not best for OC. I am willing to do NC by any and all means, even if it means missing an important event (thus putting my M first), but I NEED to see some effort from BH that he'll start working on his issues too. Thus far I have seen NONE. Not a one. He's had over a year to work on my list:

1. Get on anti-anxiety meds
2. Get professional counseling (preferably with Steve Harley, but anyone at this point would be a step)
3. Go to anger management classes

Those are my top 3, then we can work better on building love with that foundation set. But he takes my threats of leaving as a joke so he has no real motivation to take even one step. Eventually I will have to follow through, but I don't know how much time to give him.

The hardest part is that he can be so incredibly sweet one minute then have explosive anger at the drop of a pin. I fear the pin dropping, since it sets back progress so severely. The roller coaster of emotions is exhausting.

Me: WW
BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

W
OP Offline
W
Just a quick update, if you're interested. smile

This weekend I told my BH I was seriously considering a divorce and leaving (with the OC) because I see no desire for change in his part. Well, that night we FINALLY were able to discuss exactly what I need from him to have any hope of a future. He finally saw the value of no contact and is willing to support me in keeping it. He agreed to talk to Dr. Harley and any other counselor who can help with his anger, agreed to doing the full MB program with me, agreed to get on meds if needed, and even read a chapter of Love Busters last night. He was a completely new man who actually wants to work the program! It was a prayer answered to finally get him on board.

It was a great conversation, and yesterday I saw him put some changes into action, and we're going to schedule a call to Dr. Harley as well and purchase the program. I am guardedly excited right now, but I feel like if we can implement these changes I can finally know in my heart that it was the right decision to stay with him (at the cost of OC's intact family, which is what Dr. Harley would usually recommend in my case).

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

M
M
hurray Way to go, wanthealing. You did GOOD! smile

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr Harley posted this this morning:
The program that I followed on my own, and the program I used when conducting anger management training is described in the angry outbursts chapter (5) in Love Busters. The first step is the most important: "Acknowledge the fact that you, and you only, determine if you will have and angry outburst. No one "makes" you angry" (page 98).

There are advantages and disadvantages to joining an established anger management group. The primary advantage is that others will hold you accountable, and will not let you make excuses for your failure to control your temper. The primary disadvantage is that the goals and methods of these groups vary. Many do not follow the plan I recommend.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Exposure 101

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks, Mel! I just read your excerpt to BH and he is in total agreement. He's going to spend extra time on that chapter. smile Finally BH has come around to see that Dr. Harley knows what he's talking about and truly is our marriage's only chance to repair all of the damage we have done to each other. With both of us now repentant for our own love busters and eager to change for the better, I am feeling incredible joy and hope--joy I've been praying for for almost a decade!

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

M
M
smile

Exposure 101

T
T
Watching a 1963 movie on TCM this morning Rory Calhoun said: A long journey begins with the first step. Good for you.

F
F
awesome!

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
How are things going?

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays.

Recovering....it's a long road, even with a dedicated FWH
W
OP Offline
W
To be honest, not good, Fled. BH continues to put OC above me when visitation gets inconvenient. I'm still insisting NC, but I never realized how hard it would be to raise an OC with a third party in this type of situation. And I'm finding people to be increasingly unreliable in supporting us so that I can keep NC. No one gets how necessary NC is.

BH thinks I should be able to co-exist with OM and just "get over it." He really doesn't understand how seeing OM could trigger old feelings to surface. I've tried to explain to him. For example, BH admits that seeing his old girlfriends could bring up old feelings. Well, what if that girlfriend was the mother of his child? Wouldn't that be even harder to "get over"? That's why NC is so necessary. I am trying so hard to fix myself, fix our M, create a loving, safe home for us, but we keep circling back to the same problems--all going back to maintaining NC. But I'm sticking to my guns, no matter how much it upsets BH. It's just hard. I'm tired of hard.

All I can do is pray for the strength for today and deal with tomorrow tomorrow, I guess. Thanks for asking though, Fled.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

T
T
Why can't BH's parents be the im and handle exchanges?

P
P
I echo everybody that there are a lot of red flags with you BH's attitude towards no contact.

From a legal standpoint, OM is on the birth certificate so he is legally entitled to the rights and responsibilities that entails. There are facilities where exchanges can be set up where Mom drops the kid off in the front door, and Dad picks the kid up at the back door. There is no contact between either party - have you explored these options?

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
W
OP Offline
W
I will look into that. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs an IM like this, though if a fee is involved, BH will not agree. We are already pinching pennies to get by after all the court costs fighting OM.

My in-laws are not emotionally able to handle helping right now. There is still a lot of hurt, and right now they want to make it difficult so that OM goes away. Well, he's not going away so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work so that I can keep NC. Everyone seems to think I'm crazy and selfish making it difficult for BH. I appreciate the suggestions, though! I'll keep researching alternatives.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

P
P
want are you staying at home with the little one or is she in day care?

if in day care can you set something up with them for pick up and drop offs?

maybe try and have the attorneys work out different hours

if you are home with her then that shoots that one in the can obviously

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
W
OP Offline
W
I'm a stay-at-home mom.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

T
T
Whose idea was it to tell the OM you were pregnant with his child?

P
P
road

out of curiousity. what does that matter at this point?

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren
W
OP Offline
W
While it's "water under the bridge," here's the progression of events:

Even before my A BH and I were on the brink of divorce (due to BH's abuse issues), then after my A and when I got pregnant OM wanted to marry me and have an intact family with OC, so he knew from the beginning that I was pregnant. It wasn't until after OC was born that BH decided he wanted to stay with me so we fought OM in court...but by then OM knew OC was his and wanted to know OC and was determined to be involved in OC's life. OM was willing to keep NC for my sake, but BH is the one who doesn't like it. It's burdensome to him. That's the problem, and that's what makes recovery very difficult for us.

Pops, how does your family function with your W having contact with OM? How do you ever heal that way? I don't think I could ever see OM without having feelings for him again.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation