Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
M
M
Originally Posted by DevotedDad
In the future, you might want to consider your own tone in your initial as well as subsequent communications, the proverbial, "remove the stick from your own eye, before focusing on others" will serve you well.

suggestion: you might want to consider your OWN TONE before you make snippy little posts like this to very the people you have asked for HELP. None of us have to help you. We all have families and lives of our own. Who has time to post to someone who repays our charity with ungrateful little tomes like this?

Sugarcane and Susie are both valuable, knowlegable posters who are in a postion to help you quite a bit. Running them off is not WISE. You can use all the help you can get and if you are going to treat board members like this, I am sure not willing to sacrifice any of own time here either.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Are you being mysterious in order to tease? Do you think it brings more interest to your story?
Are you serious ?

This is help ?

This is what set the tone with me.

And SQ was collateral damage.
I do owe SQ an apology,
and it will be forthcoming.

M
M
Are you being mysterious in order to tease? Do you think it brings more interest to your story?
Are you serious ?

This is help ?

I do owe SQ an apology,

This is gratitude? crazy You are shooting at the helicopters. Do you plan on running off everyone with your ingratitude?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Are you serious ?

This is help ?

I do owe SQ an apology,

Stop this DD. What you are doing is not uncommon, but trust me it will NOT serve you well. Bring a little humility to the table. Stop focusing on the manner of delivery and instead focus on the message and the advice. These people are very skilled in helping men like you in the situation you are in. Please listen to them.

Sometimes their manner is no nonsense because they hear the same story day after day. Day after day they watch men like you reject their advice and subsequently watch marriages crash and burn.

Back up, slow down and LISTEN. READ. Post questions. Listen carefully to the replies. Read some more. You have a lot to learn and fortunately you have stumbled upon an invaluable resource---the vets on this board.

Post details when asked. No one here is interested in tracking you down and stealing your children, but details of ages, length of marriage, identity of OM DO matter. No one asks questions here out of idle curiosity.

S
S
DD, THIS was my first post to you. I took some time composing it and I don't see anything wrong with its tone.

I'm sure you thank me for it, although you haven't said so.

Plan B is for the betrayed spouse to avoid all contact with the wayward spouse until the affair has completely ended

But what if you can't seperate.....and you are still sharing the same residence,
Trying to maintain a consistent environment for the benefit of your child, but the cheating spouse is staying in a guest room.

Cutting off all communication would create a hostile environment that is detrimental to the child. Which is what I want to avoid....and not break apart their world by requiring spouse to leave and take the child making me a part time dad.
Welcome to MB, DD.

Becoming a part-time parent is indeed the last thing most of us want, but it will be the outcome if your wife continues the affair. That is, unless you are saying you will live in the same house with her indefinitely, while she carries on her affair.

If she carries on the affair then either she will leave you to be with OM, or she will pressurise you, up to and including going to court, to get you out of the home. In either of these scenarios you will be a part-time father.

In your position, assuming you have done Plan A for a reasonable amount of time in order to lay the groundwork, I would go to court first, before she does so, to get HER out of the home. As the child's father, you should argue and demonstrate that you are capable of caring for your child whilst she is not, because she is having an affair. Get the best lawyer you can and fight for residential custody (or whatever it is called in your state).

What you are doing by living together isn't Plan B. Either continue Plan A for longer (and I would not blame you if you have had enough of that) or take legal action to enforce Plan B.

That is, unless you are prepared to live in the same house with your wife while she conducts her affair, indefinitely.

You should post your full story on the forum Surviving an Affair. This forum is not the place to discuss Plan B.
Below was my second post to you. You wouldn't give the age of you child as you were trying not to be identified.

Intentionally general to maintain anonymity...

How old are you? How old is your WS(wayward spouse)?
Early 40's, late 30's

Do you have any children? How old are they?
1, elementary

How long have you been married? Is this the first marriage for both of you?
10, yes

How did your WS meet their AP?
Dancing, at a "girls night out"

How long did the A last?
Ongoing 11 months, refuses to stop.

How did you find out about the A?
Cellphone bill.

Have you ordered the book Surviving an Affairby DrHarley? Have you read it?
No book, but have read website content. Trying to adapt to unique circumstances.....but from the preceding responses, not possible.

How would giving your ages identify you?

I am particularly keen to know how old your child is. The term "elementary" does not mean anything to me, my dear Watson, even though I am British. Is your child 2, or 8? How would it identify you to give that detail?

That detail matters when it comes to our advice about handling this.
I thought the age of your child was very important, because if she was 2, then perhaps you could not make her understand about the affair, but if she was 8, then you most certainly could. This was all connected to ending the situation of your living in the house with your wife and trying not to let your child know that you are estranged because she is having an affair. You should not have been trying to do that - not if you were trying to use Marriage Builders, anyway.

The details we were asking were important, but you seemed determined not to tell us something as non-identifying as the age of your child. Did you know that you would be advised to do things differently once we knew the full details of what you hadn't done so far? Since you've been here for a while, you must have done.

Other people had frustrations with your evasions too, and the evasions were all connected with your unwillingness to do anything to fight for your family. Exposure is the first tool in the affair-fighting armoury, and that includes exposing to the other person's spouse, and to your children.

It turned out that not only had you not exposed to anyone, you hadn't even tried to discover OM's identity. You hadn't tried to bust up the affair, and you were willing to le your wife live with you and have sex with whomever she pleased - and you were asking about Plan B under those circumstances. What a mess. No wonder this information had to be dragged out of you.

Well, you don't have to answer any questions, and you do don't have to take any advice - though I am at a loss to know why you wouldn't fight for your child's future.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
We've seen this before, DD. A poster will come here, full of of anger, hurt and frustration over their spouse's infidelity.

They come here for comfort and commiseration. And you'll get a good dose of that. But you're on a site that is unlike many others. Most sites will commiserate with you, and that's ALL they'll do. That's easy. We don't do only that, here.

When a poster like you comes on the board, we immediately pull out our marriage-saving equipment and get to work. That's sometimes startling to a new poster and they balk at the thought that they may be able to help themselves. Many times they don't like hearing what they need to do to try to end their spouse's affair. It's unsavory to them, maybe. Or maybe it sounds like too much work, or maybe it sounds too intrusive into their spouse's secret life. We try to disabuse the betrayed spouse of those notions while outlining what they can do to try to end their spouse's affair.

DD, your WW's affair is garden-variety. I know you think it's 'different' or that your situation is 'special' but I can assure you that it is not.

For you to distract yourself with side-topics like taking exception to the posting styles of some posters is a time-suck. Don't waste your time there. Listen to what they are saying. There is a wealth of knowledge here. USE US. That's why we're here. We've been in your 'special' situation.

As far as the posters you've dismissed: I happen to 'know' them well from my posting time here. I know they are quick to forgive the outbursts of new posters because they know you are hurting. I suspect Susie and Sugar will be on deck and ready to help you, because that's why they're here. (My apologies to Susie and Sugar for speaking for them smile )

So please listen to what they advise and let's try to get your wife back home with you, okay?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

D
OP Offline
D
First I want to say, that I appreciate the clarifications posted my everyone, as well as the rational advice offered,
especially SC & SQ to whom, as a result I owe apologies.

I can see and admit, that I was myopically focused on comments taken out of context.

And I read other things, posted by the same individuals with the same tainted perspective. I was out of line.

And for that, I formally apologize to SC and SQ.

I also have to admit, that I was to a certain degree overwhelmed by the volume of input received that I didn't as SW indicated, "Back up, slow down and LISTEN. READ." Thank you, SW.

Second,
Given the "forever" lifespan of information placed on the internet, I go to what some would consider extreme measures to protect my privacy and avoid disclosing information of any granularity on a venue that is literally by definition "wide open to the world" forever.

Circumstances, yes. Specifics that can be correlated, no.
Sorry, but that's not going to change. I will forever be what some consider "overly cautious" and question the "need to know" of information requests. I fail to see or agree there's a necessity of detailing for example, exact ages, locations, dates,
and circumstantial details from which one could infer a correlation. (bits of information, not necessarily disclosed all at once, but in multiple instances that can be "glued together" (i.e., 45m, 40f, Houston, 9m child) = fits the description of "The Jones" pathetic example I know but I think it demonstrates my point.) IF this detracts from the input that can be provided, I will accept that limitation.

DD

M
M
DD you need a plan, and the only question the vets will ask are the necessary questions to help make and execute the plan to be most successful. Not answering the questions will only lead you astray. And reduces your chances of success.

And I think a meteore will hit you before people will actually figure out who you are from answering the general questions.

In addition, you need to bust up the affair, and you can not do that secretly, things are going to come out.

I was horrified to share the dirty laundry, that was trashy I thought, invasion of privacy, a personal matter. But I had a choice, try to safe the marriage, or move on. And later on I discovered how many people already knew.

Anyways, don't disclose names etc, you don't want a google search to find you, but yes, do answer the questions so the vets can help you make the best plan possible for you! Good luck!

Me BW (37)
WH (37)
DD1 6 yrs DD2 2 yr

A man who abandons his wife and children because of his infidelity is no price. I can do better then that, I deserve better then that.

The difficulties and struggles of today are but the price we must pay for the accomplishments and victories of tomorrow

Men must be honest with themselves before they can be honest with others. A man who is not honest with himself presents a hopeless case
S
S
First I want to say, that I appreciate the clarifications posted my everyone, as well as the rational advice offered,
especially SC & SQ to whom, as a result I owe apologies.
You are very gracious, DD. I appreciate your apology.

Now, shut up and LISTEN! (Except when we ask you questions - then you may speak!)

twoxfour

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Now, shut up and LISTEN! (Except when we ask you questions - then you may speak!)
That Sugar. She's a caution, ain't she. laugh

I understand your desire to remain private online because I am the same way. As far as how much info you need to give: We don't want names, locations or kid's names. Nothing like that. As a matter of fact, the moderators will edit those out as a way of keeping you safe on this site.

No one is going to ask you for identifying info. But there are general things you'll be asked so the posters can get a better sense of how to help you tackle this. If you don't know why the info is needed, ask. If you're comfortable with the reason, supply it. If not, just say you're not comfortable supplying that info. But again, the posters aren't going to ask you for personally identifying info.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
DD, did you get the OM's wifes information? Did you copy and paste his facebook contacts into a word doc?

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
ML

I did.

There are a few "similarities"/duplicates on the friends lists between the wife's and OM's, with the saddest being a little girl, who I am assuming is the OM's child.

It adds to the hurt, knowing two innocent childrens families are going to be destroyed as a result of their parents selfishness.

D
OP Offline
D
I'm at the point that I can't tolerate the lying, the shamelessness and mallice anymore, because she seems perfectly content on keeping up her bad behavior until she forces me to initiate a divorce. (Which is what I believe she wants, to avoid her being tagged as "the bad guy".) It's such warped thinking, I have a hard time believing it's the same person who not too long ago said, "I love you."

I am considering exposure of the OM in an attempt to stop the affair, but I have to wonder if like I said earlier it will do anything other than ingrain the resentment and unwilling to forgive mindset and ratchet up the bad havior out of spite, worsening the circumstances for our child, and myself in the future.

M
M
I am considering exposure of the OM in an attempt to stop the affair, but I have to wonder if like I said earlier it will do anything other than ingrain the resentment and unwilling to forgive mindset and ratchet up the bad havior out of spite, worsening the circumstances for our child, and myself in the future.

Resentment is a consequence of the fog, which is caused by the affair. If you effectively kill the affair, this won't be a problem. What typically happens is that when the fog wears off, the WW actually THANKS the BH for the exposure, because it brought her back to her senses.

Now, you will rachet up the spiteful behavior if you do a half assed exposure. The reason is because a half assed exposure is just enough to piss off the affairees but not enough to kill the affair. It is like bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight. You just infuriate your opponent and cause him to shoot harder.

You WILL infuriate her when you first expose the affair. Just count on that. You have to understand that this is just like bringing in a crowd of people to the crackhouse to watch the crackheads get high. They are FURIOUS that you interrupted their high, but when the drug wears off, they are grateful that you got them out of the crackhouse. Do you see what I mean?

There are no guarantees with exposure, but it is your BEST CHANCE at saving your marriage. Like I said earlier, affairs thrive on secrecy, so there is no other weapon that is as effective as exposure in killing them.

Your marriage CAN survive her temporary fury over exposure, but it can't survive an ongoing affair. You should not be afraid of her anger. Just expect it and focus on killing her affair. THAT will give you the best chance of saving your marriage.

Exposure should be done with precision and thought to get the best outcome. It should be done on the same day in order to effect a TSUNAMI. You will want to CALL family members and the OM's wife personally. CALL THE OM'S WIFE FIRST AND THEN MOVE ONTO THE OTHER CALLS. Be sure and give the OMW's your wife's cell phone # and work # in case she wants to call her. You need to enlist her parents, close sibs, family members and friends to call her up and try and persuade her to end her affair.

When you speak to her folks tell them about the affair, explain you love your wife and are doing everything in your power to save your marriage. Tell them you are calling them because they are an influential person in her life. ASK THEM TO CALL HER AND USE THEIR INFLUENCE TO PERSUADE HER TO END HER AFFAIR. It would also be great if her parents could call the OM and tell him to BUZZ OFF. They should make it clear to your WW and the OM that he will not be allowed to darken their doorstep.

I would then move onto to a facebook exposure of the OM's contacts. Start with his parents. Ask them to call you personally. Expose to the OM's other contacts. If he has alot, then prioritize them starting with parents, family, married friends. Try and expose to the OMW's parents too.

Here are some sample letters you can use [be sure and change your fb picture to one of you, your wife, and your children] SEND THE LETTER OUT VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND SPACE IT 60 SECONDS APART SO YOU ARE NOT SHUT DOWN FOR FLOODING:

Dear friend of Joe Scumbag,

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of his friends should know the kind of person he really is. Joe had an affair with my wife, Sally, from Aug until September. I believe that his friends should know this, so you can protect your marriage from him. My wife and I have 2 small daughters and this affair has almost wrecked our marriage.

I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify his parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.

Thank you, BH

Dear friend of Skankyhola,

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of her friends should be aware that Skanky is having an affair with my husband, Joe. We have been married for 5 years. They have been having this affair since October according to the evidence.
I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would ask that you use your influence with Skanky to persuade her to leave my husband alone. You should also watch your own husbands around her because she is no friend to marriage.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify her parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.
Thank you, BW

Exposure 101

M
M
After you have done this, I would sit down any children age 4 and above and tell them all about their mother's affair. Tell them why adultery is immoral and give them the NAME of the OM. He is the enemy of their family and they have a right to know who the fox in the henhouse is. Tell them you are doing everything in your power to save their family. They should feel perfectly free to question their mother on the reasons why she is destroying their family. That is their RIGHT.

They have to know the facts about the tension in their home or they will conclude they are the cause. Little kids can deal with the truth much better than lies and if you lie to them, you will just be teaching them that dishonesty is acceptable.

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

M
M
I'm at the point that I can't tolerate the lying, the shamelessness and mallice anymore, because she seems perfectly content on keeping up her bad behavior until she forces me to initiate a divorce. (Which is what I believe she wants, to avoid her being tagged as "the bad guy".)

You know what women want? They want a husband who will fight for their marriage and who is man enough to put her in her place. She hates you because you tolerate her abuse. Yes, she will be angry at first, but you will see her turn into a pussycat once she sees you won't tolerate the abuse anymore. She will take a new look at you if you start fighting.

And see, you are in a position to win. The OM is not going to leave his wife over a cheap piece of side action. And even if he did, their affair would never last. You are in the best position to win because a) you have history with her, b) you are the father of her children, c) you are her husband. You have a distinct advantage over this loser.

As soon as you start raising holy hell with loser boy, he will run like the dog he is. OM are pansies. You start giving him hell, and he will run. You can win if you just start fighting, DD.

Exposure 101

R
R
Yes. WW will get hissing, spitting mad and she will get over it.
Expect it. Do not get mad back. Just deflect the venom (and it will be exorcist level stuff she will throw at you).
Yes. The kids will be upset. But them being upset by the truth is more empowering to them then being upset by the unknown situation in their family. Knowledge is power even for the young ones. They are people too you know.

M
M
p.s. if she tries to throw you out, tell her no thankee Bob!! smile And if she tries to take your children [a common threat] just tell her you will get a court order to bring them back and will use evidence of her adultery with a married man to do so. We had judges who were so infuriated at this ploy with a wayward wife who snatched the kids out of their home, that he gave the BH possession of the home and told the WW to go home and pack and get out!! And leave the kids with the H.

You need to paint her a very ugly picture of the future if she tries to bring any legal action. Remind her that you can subpeona loserboy to court to give testimony of his adultery, which would speak to her fitness as a parent.

Expect her to make some wild threats and just counter them calmly so she understands that you have the upper hand and won't be rolling over and playing dead. Most WW's have this fantasy that they can just kick their H out at will.

Here is the message you should be sending to this scumbag who has assaulted your family - you need to run that bastage off!!:

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
I understand the method.

But there's an aspect I don't think anyone's addressed.

Given, " Tell them you are calling them because they are an influential person in her life. ASK THEM TO CALL HER ANDUSETHEIR INFLUENCE TO PERSUADE HER TO END HER AFFAIR."

In the circumstance where there is no one from either her family or mine who would have any influence on her, and there is literally ONE friend who would remotely have an opportunity to "get through to her", and this friend knows the behavior she's engaging in and had / continues to express her displeasure and get her to wake up, and even her pleas of common sense fall on deaf ears.......exposure is of no benefit other than being viewed as smearing.

If there is any hope of reconciliation, the last thing I want is for "the world" to know about my wifes bad behavior.

This is why I am considering exposure from the OM perspective.

Does a "one sided exposure" have less of an impact ?

M
M
But there's an aspect I don't think anyone's addressed.

In the circumstance where there is no one from either her family or mine who would have any influence on her, and there is literally ONE friend who would remotely have an opportunity to "get through to her", and this friend knows the behavior she's engaging in and had / continues to express her displeasure and get her to wake up, and even her pleas of common sense fall on deaf ears.......exposure is of no benefit other than being viewed as smearing.

You don't know who will or won't have an influence on her, so don't pre-judge that. You don't know. So don't rule out anyone. Often NO ONE will have any influence over her, but having her hear from others will force her to see herself through their eyes. It is a much needed cold splash of reality. Just the exposure has a great negative effect on the affair and her attitude towards the affair.

Another way it has great benefit is your WW will know she can never have a future with the OM because if the whole family knows all about it, she can't ever bring him around. They will know she is shagging a married man so she can't introduce him as some new boyfriend in the future. '

f there is any hope of reconciliation, the last thing I want is for "the world" to know about my wifes bad behavior.

It is the exact OPPOSITE. If there is to be any hope of reconciliation, the last thing you want is for the affair to be kept secret. Affairs thrive on secrecy, after all! Keep in mind, exposure is a positive thing, not a negative thing.

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation