Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2560570 11/03/11 04:42 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Just checking to see if Scotland and I are the only ones doing it this year.

If you see this and don't know, NaNoWriMo is a thing in November where you try to write a 50,000 word novel. In JUST November. It's a grand exercise in the seemingly impossible.

Feel free if you ARE doing it, to chat about your novel, and so on. smile

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
C
C
I'm in, just under 5k right now.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2561568 11/07/11 09:56 AM
S
S
I was sick all weekend, and now I am behind. I have written 8849 words so far.

It's funny though, I am writing in third person narrative, a first for me, and it seems that I am not writing as much dialogue as is usual for me.

My story has already changed a bit from what I had initially intended.

KR, I would LOVE to read your story, when you have completed it of course.

CWMI, what kind of story are you writing?

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
K
OP Offline
K
Scotland--sure, if you'd really like to. I can't promise that it'll be all that great though.

Have a segment for now:

"Merlin," Dracula said, "I am far better an example to my kind than the rabble that passes for vampires these days!"

Things have changed.

"I don't care how many years it's been. Vampires of respectable station do not stand around brooding like a bunch of..."

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

S
S
I'm excited to read it. Mine is turning out to be pretty dry right now too but I am just trying to get it done and then I will go back and make it better. This is also the first time that I am writing for an adult audience. And lemme tell you, it's very adult so far. wink

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
K
OP Offline
K
I've never actually done adult scenes myself...I've tried, but they usually end up either two paragraphs long, or five pages long.

K
OP Offline
K
How's it coming, group?

S
S
I have been very bad, and not writing. I need to get my butt in gear. I did have the flu, and then I started working a bit more. No excuses though, I need to get writing.

How about you?

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
K
OP Offline
K
22,000+ words right now. It's getting so difficult.

What the heck was I thinking trying to write a story intertwining Dracula, Van Helsing, and a handful of people from Arthurian legend? stickout

It's like oil and water sometimes.

C
C
Hi! Sorry, I'm bad about checking Other Topics unless something grabs my eye on the main forum page.

Plus, I'm swamped with school.

I'm writing a psychological thriller about ordinary people put in an extraordinary situation. Testing their mettle, messing with their heads, etc. Fun! I'm just past 16k now, have found that weekends truly suck for me as far as writing goes. I need a good block of 2-3 uninterrupted hours to squeeze out 2-3k words. That happens about twice a week.

Karma, did you read Erin Morganstern's pep talk? Go read it if you haven't.

I also find it much easier to write with wholly new creations. Towns that don't exist, fresh characters, new legends. Maybe you could introduce a new character with a new situation, see where it goes ala The Night Circus?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2564827 11/16/11 04:48 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hrm...perhaps I can do that! I've already brought in so many characters that are set virtually in stone and changed them, perhaps I should bring in someone new who's NOT already cemented in people's heads.

I've just been so caught up about my word count that I've not thought too much about new characters.

C
C
a time traveler, a stoner, a woman whose arms and legs are backwards so she walks on her hands but looks upright, a wise Roomba, a genius from the Apple bar, the quintessential 'hooker with a heart of gold', someone who was forced out of a Dickens novel, a hipster, a child who burps butterflies...

laugh

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2564842 11/16/11 05:22 PM
C
C
Now I want to write about a character who was forced out of a Dickens novel and is mad as he!! about it. He meets the upside-down woman (who was discarded by Kafka), they fall in love and enlist the help of a hipster (thrown out by Cheever) and a child who burps butterflies to go back in time and force Dickens, at gunpoint, to publish the novel with him IN IT.

rofl.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2564941 11/16/11 10:42 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Oh my god. And here I was worried about Dracula talking about how Stoker "over-exaggerated" the cobwebs in his castle and had a flair for the dramatic and so on.

Your idea sounds strange, but epic.

K
OP Offline
K
Less than 19,000 words to go! Then again, that's if I stick to the quota...

S
S
WOOOHOOO go KR. I only have about 35000 so I better get cracking eh? HAHAHAHA My book will definitely become longer than that in the end but that would be after Dec1st of course.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
K
OP Offline
K
Did anyone else finish?

And does anyone have tips for editing/getting in contact with publishers/agents etc?

S
S
I didn't finish, but more than halfway. There's always next year, and this time, I am prepared for the amount of time, and work that needs to be done.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to help you edit/etc. Mayhap some of our resident authors will have advice to you.

You can let whomever know that you have at least 2 people who would LOVE to buy your story(I told my friend about it, and she said, "I would read that").

Thank you for mentioning this, it has been a hoot and a half. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
C
C
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Did anyone else finish?

And does anyone have tips for editing/getting in contact with publishers/agents etc?

If you want to go the self-publishing route, there's lulu.com. I think they have editing services there.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
I did not finish, but am still working on the book! I have three weeks vacation starting next Friday, and really want to finish this story.

Editing: I think it depends on how you wrote it. :P But Self-editing for Fiction Writers is a book you should have and keep. Other than that, hit the 808 section of your library and look for books by Donald Maass, Sol Stein, any great teacher or agent or editor.

DO NOT self-publish. You may have issues since you used other people's characters. You'll need an agent. For that, look at agentquery.com AND google for preditors and editors. But don't bother talking to any of those people until you have edited the book, workshopped the book with experienced writers, and edited it again. Once you are ready to begin querying, follow the dam directions! I just finished going through a couple hundred submissions to our magazine, and I cannot tell you how much I LOVE the authors who followed the very simple submission instructions. Trying to go around them, trying to be 'artsy' with fonts and "Oh but look I added ART to my cover page, isn't it pretty?" omg!!!! No, it's not pretty, because I have to remove it, which makes more work for me, which means if you are too much work, your work won't even be considered.

I had one woman submit a bunch of stuff in LANDSCAPE orientation. I turned one of them for her, but the second one? Trashed it. It might have been good. Who knows. I just know that it required more work on my part than I was willing to give.

(Oscar Wilde)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation