Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SusieQ Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Went to the state mandated parenting class for those who are divorcing recently. I wasn't looking forward to it because I assumed they would be force-feeding me coparenting information.

They instead talked about the spectrum, parallel parenting being on one end and interactive being on the other. They stressed how the most important thing is to keep conflict to a minimum for the children and that parallel parenting helps to achieve that for many parents and that as long as one parent wants it, the other parent should respect that and not try to force interactive parenting (in fact that will just escalate the conflict).

I wish I had known this earlier (that the state mandated parenting class basically supports Plan B) as my STBX and his lawyer have been all over my case because I will not communicate directly with him. My new lawyer got his lawyer to back off (she's really good!) but thought I would share some of the information they handed out in case anyone wants to share with friends/family (have taken some heat here too) or their lawyer.

Cooperative Parenting
Information based on "Parenting Apart" curriculum by Geri Furhmann, Psy.D. & Joseph McGill, MSW

Although the marital and social relationship with one's partner ends at the point of separation the parenting relationship does not. Developing a post-separation parenting relationship with the other parent is often one of the most difficult tasks for parents. The parental relationship must be good for the children and tolerable for the parents. The goal of all cooperative parenting is the reduce parental conflict in front of the children and to create a peaceful environment for the children.

In many situations, interactive parenting is possible right from the start. Interactive parents are able to communicate directly about their children's needs, be fliexible regarding parenting plan schedules and often relate to each other in a business-like manner. Above all else, they both have the ability to keep the conflict away from the children and they are committed to making sure this happens.

Most parents, however are not emotionally able to parent interactively right after the separation so they often begin with a parallel parenting relationship with their ex-partner. In parallel parenting each parent assumes total responsibility for the children during the time they are in their care. The parenting plan is highly structured with no expectation of flexibility or negotiation. Parallel parents communicate indirectly with each other because past experience has shown that when they try to communicate directly with each other, there is often conflict in front of the children.

Tips for Parallel Parenting:

1. Remember that neither parent has say or influence over the actions or activities of the other parent, as long as there are no major safety issues involved.

2. Use common courtesy and try to be business-like in your dealings with the other parent.

3. Do not plan activities for the children during the other parent�s time with the children.

4. If conflict occurs when parents interact in front of the children, then minimize the amount of contact between parents when the children are present:
~ Pick up and drop off children at school, day care, grandparents or neighbors
~ Keep basic toys and clothes at each home to decrease the amount of exchange necessary
~ Send notes, emails or leave voice messages on answering machines rather than speaking directly to the other parent
~ Do not send a note for every little thing but wait until 3-4 messages have accumulated and then send out one note

5. If one parent is able to interact without conflict in front of the children and the other parent is angry and/or conflictual, then attempts at interactive parenting will likely fail at this time.

6. When communication and negotiation is necessary, consider utilizing a third party (relative, friend mediator or parenting coordinator) to be the go between

7. Get all the information about a situation or problem before jumping to conclusions.

8. Follow up all agreements about vacations, medical appointments, school activities, time sharing, etc, in writing in order to avoid confusion.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Thank you, Susie! Dr Harley says this about Plan B:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The court is extremely unlikely to force you to have contact with your husband, especially if a clinical psychologist has advised against it because of the emotional damage that it can do. Your intermediary can do anything that you could do with direct contact. Remember, it's for your safety and health.

Only 16% of all divorces end up amicable. You are not the one wanting the divorce, and have made your terms of reconciliation clear. There is nothing left for you to do -- it's all up to your husband now.

No one can afford a divorce, but you will have to do what you can to defend your interests. And the healthier and happier you are, the easier that will be for you.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

And here is another article written by Dr. Deena Stacer, who recommends a similar parallel parenting program: http://www.bpdfamily.com/pdfs/stacer.pdf

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Susie, would you able to post this on the "How to Plan B properly" thread? It is vital information. Thank you so much for posting it.

Although, I think that thread might be locked. Perhaps you could ask the moderators to add it?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I emailed the moderators this afternoon and asked them to copy this thread to the notable posts forum. They already did it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
SusieQ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for that, SC & Mel.

Hope this information will help a Plan Ber when they are confronted with "You need to be communicating for the good of the children!" like I have been.

Just a couple more things I thought of that were mentioned about parallel parenting:

* In studies, the biggest contributing factor to how well children coped was if they were subjected to conflict - not if the parents were communicating or coparenting.

* Conflict does not just mean actively arguing. It means applies to parents' body language, mood, tone, posture, etc. So for example, if there was face to face contact between the parents during a dropoff, if either parent was visibly upset, stressed, etc, even afterwards and the child saw it - then it just be better to have no contact at all.

* They stressed that when a new relationship begins for either parent, that usually brings about a time of conflict, and they explained that even if the parents were interactively parenting, that during a time of conflict such as this, it might be best just to go into parallel parenting, etc. (So just more support that when one parent is wayward, it is going to obviously be a time of conflict)

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
This is great information, Susie, and I hope you add this last post to the thread in the notable post section. Most people are brainwashed into believing they should "communicate for the children" when in reality it is usually better for the children that they don't communicate. One does not have to "communicate" with the other parent to be a good parent.

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (SadNewYorker, 1 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation