Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2568398 11/26/11 07:46 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I don't know how many of you have encountered this, but there is a term used by quite a few men and that is "the wife". This hit my mind today when I was shopping, ran into an acquaintance and he asked me "how's the wife"! It is not a "the", she is a "your', or by her first name. Maybe I am too old and too old-fashioned, but that term just turns me off. "The wife" in my case is not a dreaded "the wife" she is my wife with a first name. I've heard this references for years - 'the wife is expecting us to go out', the wife was upset', 'the wife' wants to vaction there', 'the wife' wanted a different color', etc. I have always referred to her as my or her first name. Maybe I am bring over sensitive, but Char is a "my" with a first name.

Tom

K
K
I think in some cases it's because the person can't remember his friend's wife's name.

When a husband says this, well...I've nothing to say for that.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
C
C
Originally Posted by karmasrose
I think in some cases it's because the person can't remember his friend's wife's name.

When a husband says this, well...I've nothing to say for that.

I dunno. We say it in jest sometimes, but then again, we also refer to ourselves as himself and herself on occasion.

cv

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
Great post, Tom! I agree with you entirely. To me, "The wife" turns me into a possession. I imagine a man going through his house, showing it to someone: "Here's the couch, here's the lamp, here's the wife"

And why do we never hear "the husband"?

"I'll ask 'the husband' if he wants to go bowling." Nope, you never hear anything like that.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

A
A
Does it actually make a difference because of the pronoun in front of the word wife? Really? I think you feel that there is some implied disrespect when there probably isn't any. There may be different reasons for doing this, perhaps the person feels using your wife's first name is too familiar. Do you get upset if someone asks you "How's the family?"

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
M
M
Originally Posted by americajin
Does it actually make a difference because of the pronoun in front of the word wife? Really? I think you feel that there is some implied disrespect when there probably isn't any. There may be different reasons for doing this, perhaps the person feels using your wife's first name is too familiar. Do you get upset if someone asks you "How's the family?"
LOL! I know - it doesn't make sense, does it. It still hits a nerve with me, I can't explain it. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
C
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
LOL! I know - it doesn't make sense, does it. It still hits a nerve with me, I can't explain it. smile

Doesn't the definite article denote possession or the fact that it isn't just another thing...

In Greek for instance, "the wife" differentiates between any ole wife. For instance.. The wife of CV, as opposed to here's my tv, here's "a" wife... etc...

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
The wife of CV, as opposed to here's my tv, here's "a" wife... etc...
I'm good with 'here's my wife'. Not so much with 'the wife'. Maybe because it edges so perilously close to 'the ol' ball and chain'? laugh

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
C
I think 'the wife' has a negative connotation because it's so often used by people who intend for it to be negative. I imagine it with capital letters, The Wife, as a negative title like The Boston Strangler or The Unibomber.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
C
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
In Greek for instance, "the wife" differentiates between any ole wife. For instance.. The wife of CV, as opposed to here's my tv, here's "a" wife... etc...

It's the same in English, yanno.

The wife: a certain wife
A wife: any old wife
Your wife: possessive form, belongs only to you<<<this is the part we want the world to recognize

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
H
H
So, the objection is to implied or perceived objectification, rather than real or perceived implication of possession.

Though, in this sense, we are talking about possession of the figurative heart.

... Dizzy. What did I jus say?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
N
With friends I would always refer to my mate as "my bride"; I think I may have done it here. With new acquaintances I often humorously introduced her as "my first wife".

After our '09 troubles I can't see the humor in that implied canonical listing anymore.

BTW: I understand the concern here among the ladies engendered by being "the" wife, as opposed to "my" wife. It would almost reduce the "wife" to a commodity, like a sofa, or dog. But, interestingly, I would aver that women are much less prone to refer to "the" husband. This probably traces back to the convention that the female of the couple had more ownership and pride in being "married" than the male - runaway grooms being so frequent that no movie needed to be made about them!

M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
So, the objection is to implied or perceived objectification, rather than real or perceived implication of possession.

Though, in this sense, we are talking about possession of the figurative heart.

... Dizzy. What did I jus say?

Lord only knows!! faint

Personally, I think "the wife" is sort of cute. If my cute husband wants to "possess" me I am all for that!! kiss

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
With friends I would always refer to my mate as "my bride";
I've always considered this a sweet endearment on your part. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
In other words; PoJA.

/thread

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am recognizing now that this topic was senseless. It was just my bent. I should have been more specific that this was a term used by guys I worked with in summers in college on hometown street crew and construction. Just based on what I heard back came across to me they didn't respect their wives or felt they were hemmed in. Then later from a few colleagues when I went in to corporate america who seemed willing to play around referred to their wives as the. So I have just grown up with this term being an obligation rather than respect. Like a hinderance. In other words, the guys who used this term I really didn't end up respecting for the way they behaved even tho a few I valued fiendship with a few of them. Never heard this term from my stepdad when I was a kid and he had his friends over never heard it from her dad. The only other thing is a guy can cal his wife anything he chooses, just was reacting to 'the wife' comment by this character the other day. I hadn't seen him for a few months and he knows our situation is just that it rubbed me the wrong way.

Bottom line is that from my own view 'the wife' seems just classless and distant. And, I honestly will admit that I am prejudiced that guys who constantly refer to their wives as such are not really that elegant. Best way I can express that. Sometimes I feel I am getting to old to keep up with the young minds here and maybe too old to particitpate anymore.

Tom

M
M
Okay, Tom, but you gave us a great topic to toss around, which is also fun/enlightening! Thank you for that!

Last edited by maritalbliss; 11/27/11 06:25 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
N
I second MB's thanx, Tom. (And besides, because of you, I have evidence that MB referred a quirk of mine as "endearing"!)

M
M
I am a possession, and I'm okay with that. smile If Prisca wanted to call me "the husband," that'd be okay with me.

But I think this came up before on another thread, and I asked Prisca about it, and found out she doesn't like "the wife," so I don't use it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Does it actually make a difference because of the pronoun in front of the word wife? Really?
Yes. Really.

I think you feel that there is some implied disrespect when there probably isn't any.
Whether or not someone is being disrespected is judged by the person feeling disrespected, not by the intentions of the one speaking.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation