Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2568934 11/28/11 03:18 PM
P
OP Offline
P

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
oooooo PM. THIS. IS. GOOD.

*raising hand*

I had a man of God, but Satan ATE. HIM. ALIVE. (and continues to do so)

*raising hand*

POS has deacons and pastors all over his family. Guess what? To my knowledge NONE stood up to him and his sin. They all stood on the sidelines and watched the destruction from afar rather than taking a stand for the lifestyle he lived (is living).

Thanks for sharing this. I'm posting to FB........

Me: BS age 35
POS-eX-the SORRIEST, CRUELEST, LOWLY WAYWARD SCUMBAG out there
Married 14.5 years, together almost 16
DDay: 7-5-09
OC born: 7-23-09
no COM: tried 6 years frown
D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11
I was gaslighted for 2 years.

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
E
E
Probably wondering where the women of God might be.

There are so many messages in church about how men are failing. Compare and contrast the typical Mother's Day and Father's Day messages.

Mother's Day Summary: Mother's walk on water, we should worship Mothers.

Father's Day Summary: Knock it off, shape up and fly right.

Just bring up the truth that women choose divorce two to three times more often than men, and instead of addressing that truth, there are all sorts of speculative excuses for why women are choosing to divorce their husbands.

After all, in the typical affair, there is one man and one woman. So both genders are equally represented. Yet we only blame the man for the affair.

If a man leaves his marriage, we blame him. If a woman leaves, we blame her husband.

This man of God is sick and tired of taking the blame for the sins of others.

Until the church is willing to call out folks, regardless their gender, for their behaviors, then things will not get better. If we continue to celebrate those who blame all the families problems on the husbands, we are missing half the problem and missing a total solution.

The church has told men we don't want men. We want women.

What is the typical view of Jesus? It's the blue eyed "Breck Girl" Jesus carrying a lamb.

I don't think that accurately reflects Jesus. He lived with 12 guys. I don't think they lived in what we would call a civilized manner. I suspect they burped and farted and scratched.

Jesus was NOT polite when it came to dealing with the religious leaders and money changers. He was not gentle, he got angry.

Today we are taught not to get angry. We are taught anger is a sin. Not true, otherwise Jesus would not be who we believe him to be.

If you want to find the men of God, then welcome them back to the church. Stop telling them that men are not wanted. Stop trying to change them into girly men. Stop trying to blame them for the sins of others.

Originally Posted by Matthew 10:5-15
These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: �Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, �The kingdom of heaven is at hand.� Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support. And whatever city or village you enter, inquire who is worthy in it, and stay at his house until you leave that city. As you enter the house, give it your greeting. If the house is worthy, give it your blessing of peace. But if it is not worthy, take back your blessing of peace. Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.

I think many men of God are heeding this scripture and have rejected the modern day church because the church fails to accept them. They want to have their ears tickled by the Oprahfied version of religion we see today.

These men have rightly dusted their sandals of the dirt found in such churches.

So if you want to know where the men of God are, ask if you are really willing to accept them, or do you want to train them? Do you see your men as men, or someone who needs training? Someone who is another kid? Someone who is too angry, or too rough, or whatever you judge them lacking?

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Probably wondering where the women of God might be.

There are so many messages in church about how men are failing. Compare and contrast the typical Mother's Day and Father's Day messages.

Mother's Day Summary: Mother's walk on water, we should worship Mothers.

Father's Day Summary: Knock it off, shape up and fly right.

Just bring up the truth that women choose divorce two to three times more often than men, and instead of addressing that truth, there are all sorts of speculative excuses for why women are choosing to divorce their husbands.

After all, in the typical affair, there is one man and one woman. So both genders are equally represented. Yet we only blame the man for the affair.

If a man leaves his marriage, we blame him. If a woman leaves, we blame her husband.

This man of God is sick and tired of taking the blame for the sins of others.

Until the church is willing to call out folks, regardless their gender, for their behaviors, then things will not get better. If we continue to celebrate those who blame all the families problems on the husbands, we are missing half the problem and missing a total solution.

The church has told men we don't want men. We want women.

What is the typical view of Jesus? It's the blue eyed "Breck Girl" Jesus carrying a lamb.

I don't think that accurately reflects Jesus. He lived with 12 guys. I don't think they lived in what we would call a civilized manner. I suspect they burped and farted and scratched.

Jesus was NOT polite when it came to dealing with the religious leaders and money changers. He was not gentle, he got angry.

Today we are taught not to get angry. We are taught anger is a sin. Not true, otherwise Jesus would not be who we believe him to be.

If you want to find the men of God, then welcome them back to the church. Stop telling them that men are not wanted. Stop trying to change them into girly men. Stop trying to blame them for the sins of others.

Originally Posted by Matthew 10:5-15
These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: �Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, �The kingdom of heaven is at hand.� Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support. And whatever city or village you enter, inquire who is worthy in it, and stay at his house until you leave that city. As you enter the house, give it your greeting. If the house is worthy, give it your blessing of peace. But if it is not worthy, take back your blessing of peace. Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.

I think many men of God are heeding this scripture and have rejected the modern day church because the church fails to accept them. They want to have their ears tickled by the Oprahfied version of religion we see today.

These men have rightly dusted their sandals of the dirt found in such churches.

So if you want to know where the men of God are, ask if you are really willing to accept them, or do you want to train them? Do you see your men as men, or someone who needs training? Someone who is another kid? Someone who is too angry, or too rough, or whatever you judge them lacking?

Wow, who peed in your Cheerios?

Uh, I think this video message was mainly directed at PASTORS and men in LEADERSHIP in the church.

Even if it wasn't, I don't know where you go to church but where I go the men ARE leaders and manly men.

In fact, once our Pastor joked from the pulpit that if he heard of a woman in our church being abused by her husband, then they'd just have to gather up a posse and have a blanket party to give him a dose of his own medicine.

He also stated that if someone tries to break into his home, he would have to act and repent later.

So I guess from your perspective (or church background) what you say may be true. But not from mine.

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
S
S
Who does?

I don't, and I've never seen anyone here on MB do that. Who only blames the man for the affair?

Do you? Are you speaking for yourself?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
C
Originally Posted by Migs
oooooo PM. THIS. IS. GOOD.

*raising hand*

I had a man of God, but Satan ATE. HIM. ALIVE. (and continues to do so)

*raising hand*

POS has deacons and pastors all over his family. Guess what? To my knowledge NONE stood up to him and his sin. They all stood on the sidelines and watched the destruction from afar rather than taking a stand for the lifestyle he lived (is living).

Thanks for sharing this. I'm posting to FB........

I got through most of it, but not all... It was too emotionally laden for me to get into... Still, the point was good. Some of us are here. wink

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
E
E
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Who does?

I don't, and I've never seen anyone here on MB do that. Who only blames the man for the affair?

Do you? Are you speaking for yourself?

Many do.

Look at what CV is saying, the man is responsible for the state of the family, so if his wife has an affair, he's responsible. I.E. he is to blame.

My former pastor. When I went to him regarding my ex-wife's affair, he asked what I did to force her to have an affair.

S
S
Many do.

Look at what CV is saying, the man is responsible for the state of the family, so if his wife has an affair, he's responsible. I.E. he is to blame.

My former pastor. When I went to him regarding my ex-wife's affair, he asked what I did to force her to have an affair.
cv said that if a man's wife has an affair, he is to blame? Can you give me a link to that post, please?

And your pastor? Does he post on MB? I asked about the "we" that you mentioned in your post. Let me try to put it more clearly: who is the "we" here on MB that blame a man for his wife's affair?

Who are the "many" here that do?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
C
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Many do.

cv said that if a man's wife has an affair, he is to blame? Can you give me a link to that post, please?

And your pastor? Does he post on MB? I asked about the "we" that you mentioned in your post. Let me try to put it more clearly: who is the "we" here on MB that blame a man for his wife's affair?

Who are the "many" here that do?

Lol! Yep! that was mean ole me! Actually, he is responding to a post I made in a thread called sexual_aversion on MB101. I never said the man is to blame, what I *DID* say was that the man as the head of the family is responsible for the state of his family. Each person holds responsibility for his actions, but if man is the head of the home he has to take responsibility for it.

I also used the fall as an example of this. It was not eve's fall that caused mankind to fall into sin, it was Adam's because he was the head. I think the reason more men aren't men in the church is because they have given up their place as head of the family. They have shirked their responsibility.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
P
OP Offline
P
CV I happen to agree with this to a certain extent. My husband provides a covering for our family and when he slacks off in prayer, etc, it tends to roll down hill. I no longer feel safe or protected. In fact, this was one of the things that freaked mr out the most when my husband was wayward. I felt exposed and vulnerable, and I'm a strong woman! It's not that we're not each responsible for our own actions, but a Godly husband can intercede on behalf of his family in a powerful way. After my husband came back home and restored not only our relationship but his relationship with God, he told me that one of the scariest things to him while he was wayward was knowing that he was in open rebellion and basically leaving his family to the wolves.

Alot of bad stuff happened while he was gone and a lot of loss. There are still consequences for sin.

Now I have no doubt that I would have been okay if he hadn't come back and repented (eventually) but I honestly believe he would have ended up dead. So does he because he came so close to it.

Scary stuff sin is.

C
C
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
CV I happen to agree with this to a certain extent. My husband provides a covering for our family and when he slacks off in prayer, etc, it tends to roll down hill. I no longer feel safe or protected. In fact, this was one of the things that freaked mr out the most when my husband was wayward. I felt exposed and vulnerable, and I'm a strong woman! It's not that we're not each responsible for our own actions, but a Godly husband can intercede on behalf of his family in a powerful way. After my husband came back home and restored not only our relationship but his relationship with God, he told me that one of the scariest things to him while he was wayward was knowing that he was in open rebellion and basically leaving his family to the wolves.

Alot of bad stuff happened while he was gone and a lot of loss. There are still consequences for sin.

Now I have no doubt that I would have been okay if he hadn't come back and repented (eventually) but I honestly believe he would have ended up dead. So does he because he came so close to it.

Scary stuff sin is.

faint Holey moley!!! Someone here agrees with me! wink

It is scary though isn't it? real men really are far and few between. The sad truth is, I was responsible for the conditions that led to both my W's A's... Had I probed more to find those needs, I could have worked to prevent them. Or at least minimize the chances.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
E
E
It makes no difference if you intercede. If a wife is going to cheat, she's going to cheat, no matter if one or billions are praying for her.

I've been there, and God just lets folks do what they are going to do.

It's not that I don't believe God can act. I simply have found that He chooses not to act.

Why would we expect the actions of a husband to matter when so many men are praying for their families, only to find those prayers to be ineffective?

I think it's time to stop blaming men, to stop saying they are responsible for the choices others make.

Eve is responsible for her choice to eat of the fruit. Adam is responsible for his choice to eat of that same fruit.

The failure wasn't a man failure or a woman failure, it was a failure to obey God.

Scripture tells us that in heaven there will not be slave, free, male, female, etc. So I have to think that our gender is nothing more than a temporary role we are assigned. Spiritually, we are the same. One is not more sinful than the other, one is not responsible for the choices the other makes. We are each responsible for our choices.

If a wife sins and betrays her husband, she alone is responsible for the damage done by her choice.

If she's not following his lead, then how can we even think to hold him responsible? After all, it's unlikely he LEAD her to an affair, so why complain about the failure of these men to lead.

What are men supposed to do about the fact that 2/3rds to 3/4s of all divorces are sought by women? What sort of spiritual leadership will stop that when it's clear that not only do they not want to follow their husbands, but they don't even want to be around them?

It's certainly not that the men are more sinful than the women. After all, scripture tells us we've all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Scripture tells us that if we break one part of the law, we are as guilty as if we break it all. So there are no grades. We are all sinners. Wives divorcing husbands are not divorcing men who are more sinful. They are divorcing men who share the very same spiritual condition, they are sinners.

When will we begin to look at sin as God sees sin. It's all the same. The one who lies is as much a sinner as one who steals. The one who engages in homosexuality is as much a sinner as one who engages in fornication or adultery.

Yet it seems we want to grade on a curve and say my pet sin isn't as bad as the sin of another. The Mote and the Beam is a very apt parable.

Except we all have beams in our eyes.

If you are asking where are the Godly men, take the beam out of your eye and ask if you are a Godly woman. Not as measured by YOUR standard, but rather do you measure up to God's standard?

If you are asking where are the Godly women, take the beam out of your eye and ask if you are a Godly man. Not as measured by YOUR standard, but rather do you measure up to God's standard?

There are as many Godly men as there are Godly women, zero. We are all sinners, every last one of us. Our righteousness is nothing but filthy rags.

Scary stuff sin is.

P
OP Offline
P
What the heck are you talking about? You are totally misconstruing or misunderstanding my post. Settle down, geeze. I said we are EACH responsible for our own behavior. ANYONE who chooses to sin will sin but you can't tell me that a husband's prayers have no power or authority, they certainly do.

God will answer but that doesn't always mean its the answer we want to hear. God is also not going to go against His own word. People have free will (men and women) but there are consequences too. A cheating wife can be forgiven. A cheating wife can also be redeemed whether you think so or not.

I'm not going to get into a religious debate with you because clearly you believe what you believe. I'm sorry you were hurt so badly.

Besides that, you TOTALLY missed the whole point of the video. It's about Godly men speaking up against evil.

Never mind, I'm sorry I gave you a platform to sing your sad old song by starting this topic.

Peace.

E
E
Thanks for your outpouring of grace, love and understanding.

What the heck are you talking about? You are totally misconstruing or misunderstanding my post. Settle down, geeze. I said we are EACH responsible for our own behavior. ANYONE who chooses to sin will sin but you can't tell me that a husband's prayers have no power or authority, they certainly do.

God will answer but that doesn't always mean its the answer we want to hear. God is also not going to go against His own word. People have free will (men and women) but there are consequences too. A cheating wife can be forgiven. A cheating wife can also be redeemed whether you think so or not.

I'm not going to get into a religious debate with you because clearly you believe what you believe. I'm sorry you were hurt so badly.

Besides that, you TOTALLY missed the whole point of the video. It's about Godly men speaking up against evil.

Never mind, I'm sorry I gave you a platform to sing your sad old song by starting this topic.

Peace.

C
C
[quote=Enlightened_Ex]It makes no difference if you intercede. If a wife is going to cheat, she's going to cheat, no matter if one or billions are praying for her.

To quote Garth Brooks: Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

I've been there, and God just lets folks do what they are going to do.

God promises to repay the wicked and reward the just. Because he is doing it on his own timetable is not God "just letting" them do what they want.

It's not that I don't believe God can act. I simply have found that He chooses not to act.

So.. God just kind of wound up creation like a clock and is sitting back watching everything and doing nothing... Doesn't sound like much of a God to me... God acted in your marriage. Maybe not the way you wanted, but I bet in the way you needed. Sounds like your XWW is highly toxic and God protected you from a life of that.

Why would we expect the actions of a husband to matter when so many men are praying for their families, only to find those prayers to be ineffective?

Because God DOES answer prayers. I prayed that God would make my wife something beautiful and that she would bloom into the woman I knew she could be... Before I knew about her affairs. Now she has. Wasn't the way I wanted the prayer answered, but He answered it.

I think it's time to stop blaming men, to stop saying they are responsible for the choices others make.

Eve is responsible for her choice to eat of the fruit. Adam is responsible for his choice to eat of that same fruit.

Hos 6:7 But like Adam they transgressed the covenant;

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

And Adam was responsible for his posterity as well. It's called headship. Leadership... Being a husband. Dude, I am a husband. I know this is an uncomfortable thought to deal with, but it is the truth.

It was Adam's sin that brought us all down. Eve's only brought her down.

The failure wasn't a man failure or a woman failure, it was a failure to obey God.

by Adam. Hence the need for Christ, the second Adam:

Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

The failure to obey God was Adam's.

Scripture tells us that in heaven there will not be slave, free, male, female, etc. So I have to think that our gender is nothing more than a temporary role we are assigned. Spiritually, we are the same. One is not more sinful than the other, one is not responsible for the choices the other makes. We are each responsible for our choices.

No. It doesn't actually...
Gal 3:27-28 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. (28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

It is a present reality for those of us who believe. That we are all equal in Christ. The passage is talking not about gender, but about our equal standing as recipients of grace. A little historical background will show you that Paul is speaking to Judaizers... A unique group of folks that discriminated against women and gentiles. They required them to obey the outward law in order to "be Christians". Paul is refuting that. He is saying that no matter your gender or ethnicity, Christ died for you. Not that genders don't matter in heaven.

If a wife sins and betrays her husband, she alone is responsible for the damage done by her choice.

If she's not following his lead, then how can we even think to hold him responsible? After all, it's unlikely he LEAD her to an affair, so why complain about the failure of these men to lead.

Right. And we shouldn't be accountable for the things our kids do either, right?

What are men supposed to do about the fact that 2/3rds to 3/4s of all divorces are sought by women? What sort of spiritual leadership will stop that when it's clear that not only do they not want to follow their husbands, but they don't even want to be around them?

Real spiritual leadership meets the needs of the spouse (ideally before the A happens). It tells me that men aren't doing their jobs if the women are bailing. We live in a world of weak willed people. Men and women alike. Not like our grandparents age when they stuck it out. For better or worse.

It's certainly not that the men are more sinful than the women. After all, scripture tells us we've all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Scripture tells us that if we break one part of the law, we are as guilty as if we break it all. So there are no grades. We are all sinners. Wives divorcing husbands are not divorcing men who are more sinful. They are divorcing men who share the very same spiritual condition, they are sinners.

So why did Jesus say this:

Mat 10:15 Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.

True, sin is sin. It all condemns, but not all repercussions are the same. as there are degrees of rewards in heaven, so there are indications in Scripture that there will be degrees of judgement.

When will we begin to look at sin as God sees sin. It's all the same. The one who lies is as much a sinner as one who steals. The one who engages in homosexuality is as much a sinner as one who engages in fornication or adultery.

Yet it seems we want to grade on a curve and say my pet sin isn't as bad as the sin of another. The Mote and the Beam is a very apt parable.

Again, all sin condemns, but there are different repercussions.

Except we all have beams in our eyes.

If you are asking where are the Godly men, take the beam out of your eye and ask if you are a Godly woman. Not as measured by YOUR standard, but rather do you measure up to God's standard?

If you are asking where are the Godly women, take the beam out of your eye and ask if you are a Godly man. Not as measured by YOUR standard, but rather do you measure up to God's standard?

No one does. That's why we need Christ. It's called grace. It doesn't mean that we cannot point out sin though.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C

You are most certainly correct PM.

And this is the scary thing.. We act according to our nature. God will NOT violate his own word. and yes... here's the good news... A cheating wife (OR Husband) can be forgiven and redeemed. I'm living with one.

S'ok, I think I did it in my last post for you!

Peace.

PM, hope you don't bail on the thread. The point of the video was good. It is needed. It's important.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you CV. My husband is the Bible scholar in our marriage, even though I was raised as a preacher's kid. That's why I won't debate religion. I always go to my husband for clarification and Biblical back up. The man's a walking Bible and is continuously studying to get a deeper knowledge. In fact, right now he's studying Hebrew and learning even more. I'm still catching up on the basics.

It's amazing to me that after all these years I can still get revelation when I read scripture that I've read for years. I developed an aversion to the Bible for a time in my life because I saw people using the Bible for their own hypocritical purposes. It took a long time for me to understand that the Bible is not a weapon to be yielded to hurt others, but a shield for protection and a way to hear and share God's heart.

So thank you for sharing your knowledge of the Word in a good way.

P
OP Offline
P
Oh, and that's another reason I appreciate Dr. Harley's wisdom. His work can soundly be backed up by scripture. He has a true gift.

L
L
PM ~
Your thread is very timely!
My H read Numbers recently.
Numbers 30 shed a whole new perspective on his role as the "leader", "head" of our family...
He, very humbly, shared with me how deficient he has been in realizing that God holds HIM responsible for the welfare of our family... and... our marriage...
Yes! God still holds me accountable for my sin...
I will answer to Him through confession & repentance of my sin...
I have the confidence & experience that when my H loves me as Christ loves the church and gave Himself up for her, that I will eagerly seek his headship & authority through godly counsel when I struggle with life issues... We ARE "one flesh" in marriage...
That is why it hurts so badly when part of my "one flesh" strays from God!
I feel safe & confident in my marriage when H draws closer to God through the reading of His word...
BTW ~ I LOVE the video...
H will receive it today...
Thank you & Blessings ~
The "key" word in this passage is "IF"...
The husband/father is only responsible by God Himself "IF" he is aware of the vow or oath...
(New Living Translation)
Numbers 30
Laws concerning Vows
1 [a]Then Moses summoned the leaders of the tribes of Israel and told them, �This is what the Lord has commanded: 2 A man who makes a vow to the Lord or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do.

3 �If a young woman makes a vow to the Lord or a pledge under oath while she is still living at her father�s home, 4 and her father hears of the vow or pledge and does not object to it, then all her vows and pledges will stand. 5 But if her father refuses to let her fulfill the vow or pledge on the day he hears of it, then all her vows and pledges will become invalid. The Lord will forgive her because her father would not let her fulfill them.

6 �Now suppose a young woman makes a vow or binds herself with an impulsive pledge and later marries. 7 If her husband learns of her vow or pledge and does not object on the day he hears of it, her vows and pledges will stand. 8 But if her husband refuses to accept her vow or impulsive pledge on the day he hears of it, he nullifies her commitments, and the Lord will forgive her.

10 �But suppose a woman is married and living in her husband�s home when she makes a vow or binds herself with a pledge. 11 If her husband hears of it and does not object to it, her vow or pledge will stand. 12 But if her husband refuses to accept it on the day he hears of it, her vow or pledge will be nullified, and the Lord will forgive her. 13 So her husband may either confirm or nullify any vows or pledges she makes to deny herself. 14 But if he does not object on the day he hears of it, then he is agreeing to all her vows and pledges. 15 If he waits more than a day and then tries to nullify a vow or pledge, he will be punished for her guilt.�

16 These are the regulations the Lord gave Moses concerning relationships between a man and his wife, and between a father and a young daughter who still lives at home.

"Now is the time for all good MB Veterans to come to the aid of their MB Rookies!"
C
C
Thank you CV. My husband is the Bible scholar in our marriage, even though I was raised as a preacher's kid. That's why I won't debate religion. I always go to my husband for clarification and Biblical back up. The man's a walking Bible and is continuously studying to get a deeper knowledge. In fact, right now he's studying Hebrew and learning even more. I'm still catching up on the basics.

You're a PK?!?!?! I'll pray harder for you! wink
I'm still recovering after 3 years of Hebrew. It was a tough go for me. He probably knows this already, but tell him that the Leningrad text is the best for Hebrew if he can get his hands on it.
Personally, despite all the seminary I had, I believe nothing beats the basics.

It's amazing to me that after all these years I can still get revelation when I read scripture that I've read for years.

It never really changes. I've written sermons and gone back to them some time later and decided I would never preach them again. Not because the content was wrong, but because I would preach it differently after having a fuller understanding of the text. To me, it is an exciting thing. I love learning, and even more so when it comes to the Bible.

I developed an aversion to the Bible for a time in my life because I saw people using the Bible for their own hypocritical purposes. It took a long time for me to understand that the Bible is not a weapon to be yielded to hurt others, but a shield for protection and a way to hear and share God's heart.

So thank you for sharing your knowledge of the Word in a good way.

Thank my wife. She really taught me to approach using the Bible as a teaching opportunity rather than an opportunity to bash truth into someone. After the A, I found that even though she was raised in the church and had whole chapters of the bible memorized, she didn't really understand it. I found that I had to go back with her and carefully explain it to her again. I inserted personal pronouns for her so she understood the promises were for her, etc... Like preaching to a one person congregation. It taught me patience and humbled me quite a bit, realizing that knowledge and understanding don't always mean the same thing. a lesson I took to heart for myself.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation