Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
OP Offline
M
Armymama, I would never place my house above my marriage to my loyal, faithful and loving wife. Now I WOULD place it higher than the cheating, disrespectful, lying one.

M
OP Offline
M
Happyheart, just exactly HOW do I stop thinking about the affair. Every moment of D-day is etched into my brain with a laser. The look on her face, when I walked in the door, the feeling when I hit him, repeatedly, and both of them begging me to stop. I even remember what both of them were wearing, where his hands were, where her hands were. All of it. There are certain things you cannot forget, this is one of them.

M
OP Offline
M
Also, I did not exclusively talk to women. I've talked to my pastor, parents, men-friends, and last but not least, my wife. Obviously, all of you good people , too. One of the reasons I tell them (the ladies) about my situation, is BECAUSE I'm honest and would never try to con anybody, or misrepresent anything.

M
OP Offline
M
Whatever I do, I will do it with honesty and respect, at all times. The inference that I would have an affair with anyone is insulting, moreso because of what I have already gone through. A revenge affair is out of the question.

A
A
Ok, so you answered my question about your wonderful house. How about all the other questions?

Did you really understand and apply the MB program?

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
C
C
Originally Posted by mirrormirror
Armymama, I would never place my house above my marriage to my loyal, faithful and loving wife. Now I WOULD place it higher than the cheating, disrespectful, lying one.

Who has now been replaced by a respectful, honest, faithful one?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
Happyheart, just exactly HOW do I stop thinking about the affair. Every moment of D-day is etched into my brain with a laser. The look on her face, when I walked in the door, the feeling when I hit him, repeatedly, and both of them begging me to stop. I even remember what both of them were wearing, where his hands were, where her hands were. All of it. There are certain things you cannot forget, this is one of them.

MM, I understand this (many of us here do). One good way to stop thinking about the affair is to focus on the future you are working toward together. And, honestly, it IS hard to do... It takes time. It takes work. That's why everyone says 6 months before making a decision and a year before seeing a big turn.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
OP Offline
M
CV, you, more than most, understand how much I want it to work out, but I don't feel for her like I used to, and I don't see how to get that feeling back. We have done everything Dr. Harley suggests, and until Friday, were together constantly, since she got back from Hospital. I have forgiven her, and actually believe that we CAN affair-proof our marriage and I am sure about her love and honesty, now. I know it sounds corny, but it's the heartbreak that I'm having trouble overcoming. I won't be married to anyone I am not in love with. IDK, going abroad seems like I'm running away from my problems, but just now I am not able to return her affection, and I don't know if I will ever be able to do so.

N
N
...I am not able to return her affection, and I don't know if I will ever be able to do so.

MM, can you bear another corny NG analogy?

Have you ever been sick, seriously sick, not the measles or the flu? I mean sick-with-a-possibility-of-dying sick.

If you were, you went to a learned doctor with experience in dealing with your affliction. You basically said "I'm facing the possibility of dying, and I don't know if I'll ever be healthy again." As he starts you on the path to recovery, at about 25% in, you would be unwise to say, "Sorry, Doc, I don't like your medicine. I believe I'll halt the protocol and just die." Instead, having put your faith in him, you ride it out to recovery.

There is one other element you should consider. Take all those horrid memories - her, him, them, you - and put them in a prominent place in your mind, MM, because they are NOT going to disappear just because SHE does (from your presence). Instead you're going to wake up (alone, initially) and the fact that you are alone will be as strong a trigger as being with her. You don't actually "erase" memories, you "bury" them. You have to work to supercede the bad times with good, romantic times, to the effect that the bad times can't even be located without strenuous effort. Just now I forced myself back forty years, and I can still see my HS French teacher (on whom I had a huge crush) dazzling me with her smile while helping me conjugate the verb "etre". The memory is there, but I haven't accessed it for decades, because I had so many more pleasurable instances stored.

And the best way to erase bad times with your wife is by creating good times with your wife. SHE IS YOUR BEST MEDICINE RIGHT NOW. A previous poster pointed out that when a loyal, loving wife goes rogue, she becomes to us a cheating slut; the previous manifestration ceases to exist. We have learned here not to deal with that woman as loyal and loving, because if we do, the strategems necessary to end her infidelity are ineffective. BUT when a woman ceases to live the cheating life, and is genuinely remorseful, do we not owe her the same treatment, to now deal with her under her renewed status?

I NEVER recommend this next step, because I've seen it go bad for too many FWWs, but I right now care more for your well-being than hers. Send her here. There are some folks here that can respectfully advise her on ways to complement your efforts with MB efforts of her own. Two trained operators would likely have a better chance of repairing your system than just one.

Take this chance with us, MM. Please.

M
M
MM, a person once said if you can love someone new, you can love your current spouse again. I don't think it has to do with your ability to love her. Its more to do with your WILLINGNESS.

She hurt you in a way you never imagined she could or would. She hurt you and you are afraid love her again thinking about what happened when you loved her before. Love is not a feeling. Its a CHOICE.

You tell us you've been spending a lot of time together but how much fun are you having together? You will never be able to move forward unless you create new and positive, happy experiences that with time will drown out the negativity.

I'm not so sure you've really forgiven her. I think you're trying to forget what she's done but forgiveness means you no longer hold previous offenses over her head. You no longer hold them against her.

Once you really forgive, a change will take place in how you see her and actof towards her. It is not being weak. Forgiveness takes great strength because it makes you vulnerable to disappointment again.

I can't say for sure, but it seems like you may be filled with the negative answers to the question "what if?"

What if I really forgive her?
What if she does this again?
What if I reopen my heart and risk being hurt again?
What if people think I'm weak for sticking with a cheater?

How about a positive what if?

What if our marriage is better than it ever was?

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
H
H
MM,

I know sometimes in the midst of things, its hard to see anything brighter ahead, as NG has analogized.

I've had those days in recovery.

However, I will analogize again; I had days in pursuing my license in which I was CERTAIN I was going to fail my courses. I missed some days, or I got a lower than expected grade on an assignment.

At those times I had two choices; to curl up and give up, tossing aside all the work that had been accomplished prior to that point, or to stay the course and do what I knew I had to do to achieve my goal. Sometimes things would improve in small, unnoticable increments. Sometimes, I didn't know until after the final exam if my work had paid off.

The thing is, the GOAL, the OUTCOME is the most important thing to focus on. And while that goal seems impossible, appears unobtainable, the trick is to not pursue the grand changes in a future you cannot imagine, but in focusing on the small things that you can do RIGHT NOW, the things that can be done IN THIS MOMENT.

TL;DR: when the past is painful, and the future is bleak, live NOW.

MB is present and future focused.

No man can start over and have a new beginning, but any man can make a better ending.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
OP Offline
M
A lot of the way I'm feeling is her behavior, right now. She doesn't act like she did before D-day. She is almost slavishly obedient to me, and sometimes worries so much about doing anything to trigger me, that she will do nothing at all. The only time I can catch a glimpse of the real her is during and right after(especially right after) sex, when she is more spontaneous and open. Most of the time, remorse seems to be eating her alive. This isn't the intelligent, self-confident woman I married. I realize that we can't undo the past, but I know for a fact that she is having a harder time forgiving herself than I am forgiving her. I'm certain that there will be no more affairs, and I will do whatever it takes to TRY to rekindle my love for her. What I really need is some sense that it can happen. I called her this morning and went to where she is staying and brought her home.

M
M
mm, you'll get no beef from me if you're ready to throw in the towel. Not everyone can - or should - attempt reconciliation.

Having said that, a comment you just made has given me pause.
and I will do whatever it takes to TRY to rekindle my love for her.
You're saying this in a post where you are also outlining things she's doing that are pushing you away from reconciling.

My question for you is: have you discussed with her the things you just posted to us that she's doing that you don't like?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

C
C
A lot of the way I'm feeling is her behavior, right now. She doesn't act like she did before D-day. She is almost slavishly obedient to me, and sometimes worries so much about doing anything to trigger me, that she will do nothing at all.

MM, I really understand this. There was, on the one hand, a gratefulness for my W's obedience, and on the other hand a desire to see "my wife" back. You know what I'm talking about.. those basic personality traits that she supressed for fear of triggering me (or her), her HUGE desire to demonstrate obedience and willingness to work, and the resultant "doing nothing" out of fear of messing up if she does something.

The only time I can catch a glimpse of the real her is during and right after(especially right after) sex, when she is more spontaneous and open. Most of the time, remorse seems to be eating her alive. This isn't the intelligent, self-confident woman I married. I realize that we can't undo the past, but I know for a fact that she is having a harder time forgiving herself than I am forgiving her.

MM, I understand this to. I saw this in my W for something like the first 2+ years. Part of it was that I was VERY authoritarian in recovery. It was largely my actions and responses that hindered it. The fact that you are catching glimpses is good. It means it is still there. For Christians, we aren't called to be self-confidant though. We are called to be confident in Christ. It is normal for repentant spouses to be harder on themselves. They have a greater sense of the responsibility for rebuilding. Sometimes it is crippling because they see us hurting and are at a loss for how to help us. It is our responsibility to teach them how to help us. Instruct them when we are hurting as to what we need and how we need it. It is a re-learning of behavior and actions.

I'm certain that there will be no more affairs, and I will do whatever it takes to TRY to rekindle my love for her. What I really need is some sense that it can happen. I called her this morning and went to where she is staying and brought her home.

Hate, apathy, anger, sadness... I think we all cycle through this after affairs. For some it is days, others weeks or months. Do not be discouraged by this, but look at it as indicators to work towards rekindling that love. With work it CAN happen. I would go through weeks of secretly feeling apathetic and not telling my W until I blew a gasket and we argued, because "I didn't care". I had to relearn how to share what I was feeling in a positive constructive light, openly and honestly. What got me through it was this: I personally worked on being her best friend. On liking her for who she now was. Not the same ole girl I married over 22 years ago, but who she now is. Coming to grips with the fact that she "is the same, yet different" now. Kind of like "new guts, same wrapping".

This helped me work on strengthening the love I had for her, rebuilding the love I had lost as a result of her actions, and allowing me to begin healing as well. There will be months of struggle.

You know, in a sense (sorry to all the other branches out there), it's NOT like being a Marine. As a Marine, we are used to getting a task or mission and having it accomplished with minimal casualties. We take a position and it usually stays that way when we are there. The battle to rebuild marriages are tougher battles and we sometimes struggle early on in the campaign to keep the hills we have taken. This is why the plan to recovery is so strict. It takes this into account and keeps pointing us forward so as we gain ground we aren't continually fighting old battles and advancing backwards.

MM you can do this if you want to. If you put your mind to it. I know you have the pass to walk, but I want to encourage you to try. Succeeding is awesome. The "normal days" eventually return and life settles from the turmoil we experience. Love returns. It not only CAN happen, but DOES happen too.

Get that wife of yours posting here.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
I
I

Everybody respects the trauma of what you saw and the challenge of overcoming it. It is entirely your decision. If you want to pull the plug and divorce cleanly, severing all ties because you are sure you are 'done' then you have everybody's support 100 per cent.

It is sooo ***EDIT*** sad. When we talked about separating, she told me that she is completely in love with me, moreso than even when we married. But we seem to be on different pages. I am doubting my love for her, and she is in love, ***EDIT***? Why can't it be different? I feel like I need a change of scenery, so I'm thinking about doing some contract work in Spain for a couple of years. She has stated that she will wait for me, for however long it takes, and has even suggested that we stay married but that I will have a 'free pass', to do whatever I want while in Europe, but I will not be a cheater, so it's best that we divorce. It is possible that when I get there, and have lived by myself for a few months, that I will be able to regain my feelings for her again, if so , we can remarry, if not, then we move on.

But when you say stuff like this it doesnt sound like your impulse to leave is certain, final, logical or sure.

It sounds more like you want a break and that you think a break will help and that you might remarry after it.

You cant leave your wife with this sort of false hope, waiting for you. And giving up on recovery is unlikely to lead to remarriage. How does being on another continent help with recovery?

You say your feelings 'might return' - but you have been here long enough to understand the dynamics of the love bank

You know that feelings follow actions.

Feelings do not fly to and from us like fairies.

To sum up:

If you want a divorce - final, over, forever - then divorce.

If you want your feelings to return - Do the recovery plan, speak to the harleys, listen to the vets.

You cant dance between the two.

Essentially I think you dont know which of the two you want - am I correct? I am sure you are not alone in that one.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/04/11 03:11 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

C
C
I called her this morning and went to where she is staying and brought her home.

thats great! very happy you came back.

my smile icons dont work smile

Me 44- yes ugggh
WH 47
together 26 years M 19
serial cheater big time
DD1 2.24.11
NC letter sent 3/7/11
NC letter to OW2 april
final truths 5/8-- all of them poly confirmed 5/18
working the plan

A
A
MM,

I am sorry for your pain. I know it feels bad.

You are getting some really good posts. Please send your wife here. She can recover. You can recover. Your marriage can recover. Call the Harley's and develop a plan. Dr. Harley has said that if a couple follows MB principles, they WIll be in love. I think he has seen it happen many, many times.

I pray that you can hang onto that hope and visualize the future in a form that will unite you.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
T
T
Also, I did not exclusively talk to women. I've talked to my pastor, parents, men-friends, and last but not least, my wife. Obviously, all of you good people , too. One of the reasons I tell them (the ladies) about my situation, is BECAUSE I'm honest and would never try to con anybody, or misrepresent anything.

Talking to family good
pastor also good
men friends good if few and close

Women not good. No reason to be telling them your marriage has problems.
Not good you are giving women the opportunity to meet your needs and offer you support through these hard times

On the
slippery
slope

You're justifying as much as any WW.

TheRoad #2571476 12/05/11 12:00 AM
M
OP Offline
M
The Road, keep your sexist comments to yourself, OK? My Mom is a woman, so I shouldn't talk to her? My cousin, also a woman, is she poison too? I have been totally honest with ALL the Ladies that I've talked to, telling them unequivocally that I am not in the market. To call me a Wayward is extremely insulting, and you need not participate on my thread if you're going to cause trouble. Do it again and I will contact the moderator. I don't need this kind of disrespectful crap.

C
C
MM, I dont want to rile you up but The Road is dead on. You have been offered food, companionship, even had offers for sex from other women. Please remind yourself that if you WANT to fall back in love with your wife you can't allow other women to meet your needs. This is especially critical in recovery. You can love your wife more than you ever have before, but you have to let her be your one and only in all areas of your life. However, if you want to move on, you are completely justified in doing so.

Me: 34yrs
OM #1 ONS July 2010
OM #2 internet/text EA (9/10-2/11)

He: WH 38 yrs
OW#1 Former friend, 7 month EA & PA 1/11-7/11
OW#2 Ex-GF, 1 month phone/ FB EA & ONS 7/11

Recovering MB Online!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 337 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation