Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
P
OP Offline
P
The other thing I don't get is that I'm supposed to confront him about this OW#2, expose the affair, then turn around and be all lovey-dovey with him?

No. It causes a huge fight. We don't speak for hours. Everything is awkward and uncomfortable. Terrible things are said. He's in pain, I'm in pain. If I try to be affectionate or loving or caring or offer sex in the face of it all, I get shot down and get the "you are a hormonal psycho" look.

Me: BW (34)
Him: WH (38)

3 kids: 7, 3, & 7 mos

Married 7 years
DDAY #1 - 11/8/2011 (EA)
DDAY #2 - 12/6/2011 [unconfirmed possible 2nd A]

M
M
Originally Posted by PiecesOfMe
[
Also can anyone point me toward some exposure success story threads? Yes the fear is there - I'd like to see some stories/examples of where this tactic is not going to completely destroy any chances of recovery.

Exposure does not destroy marriages. It saves marriages. Almost all of the success stories here were due to exposure. Here is what Dr Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders, says:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
[quote=MelodyLane][quote=PiecesOfMe]

Also can anyone point me toward some exposure success story threads? Yes the fear is there - I'd like to see some stories/examples of where this tactic is not going to completely destroy any chances of recovery.

I didn't know about MB for almost 3 years after Dday. I did exposure in a very half-*(& way. But I did expose.

Thankfully the exposure I did worked. I exposed to her parents, and our kids. Two groups that she feared repercussions from the most. I also exposed to OMW (who already knew but decided to not tell me).

It worked. I recommend FULL exposure though, as Dr. Harley suggests, because the wider the exposure circle, the better results you get (and possibility of support in saving the M).

My wife? She was thankful for the exposure. It sealed the end of her affairs. She didn't have to carry the secret with those she loved most and was held accountable.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
The other thing I don't get is that I'm supposed to confront him about this OW#2, expose the affair, then turn around and be all lovey-dovey with him?

Did I tell you to be all "lovey dovey" with him? What are you talking about? crazy

No. It causes a huge fight. We don't speak for hours. Everything is awkward and uncomfortable. Terrible things are said. He's in pain, I'm in pain. If I try to be affectionate or loving or caring or offer sex in the face of it all, I get shot down and get the "you are a hormonal psycho" look.

Wow, you mean he would be upset at exposure?? I can't believe it!! faint

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
POM, when you expose the affair your husband will, OF COURSE, be furious. It would be silly to think otherwise. He will be enraged, will make all sorts of threats, "I am going to divorce you now.." blah, blah, blah....

That is an EXPECTATION. You don't fight, don't get upset and don't try to reason with him. And most of all, you don't come here and post his fogbabble because we don't CARE what he says. What we care about is what YOU say.

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
Ok, ok you guys are getting through smile

So wait for him to cool down from the rage of exposure (which could be days, I presume?) and THEN present the plan for recovery?

I also read that the Dr. is not so quick to expose when there is insufficient evidence of the affair. I don't think I have enough to go on yet with OW#2. He says "have enough to convince a jury" before exposure...I definitely don't have that on OW#2...yet.

Hey listen Plan A is most certainly lovey-dovey, especially if I am to focus on meeting the most intimate emotional needs of the relationship so he can fall back in love. Affection, recreational companionship, sexual fulfillment and conversation = lovey dovey for sure. And it is so flippin hard to do that when you know you have all this dirt on him and all these suspicions and you KNOW he's sitting there lying to you.

I keep making these little digs about honesty and trust... LB's I know...

Married 7 years
DDAY #1 - 11/8/2011 (EA)

C
C

So wait for him to cool down from the rage of exposure (which could be days, I presume?) and THEN present the plan for recovery?

Only if he is so angry that he won't hear anything. My suggestion would be to write it out and if he's not listening, hand him the letter to read. When he's cooled down enough for a civilized conversation then talk face to face. Give him the letter right after exposure though.

I also read that the Dr. is not so quick to expose when there is insufficient evidence of the affair. I don't think I have enough to go on yet with OW#2. He says "have enough to convince a jury" before exposure...I definitely don't have that on OW#2...yet.

then collect your backside off. Exposure is better sooner rather than later.

Hey listen Plan A is most certainly lovey-dovey, especially if I am to focus on meeting the most intimate emotional needs of the relationship so he can fall back in love. Affection, recreational companionship, sexual fulfillment and conversation = lovey dovey for sure. And it is so flippin hard to do that when you know you have all this dirt on him and all these suspicions and you KNOW he's sitting there lying to you.

Work on those LBs

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M

What you will expose is what you HAVE to her husband. You can also tell Human Resources to investigate their emails, etc to see what is going on there.

And no, you should be presenting your conditions as soon as possible to your husband. You don't wait. He will calm down enough on the first day for you to tell him. He might reject it at first, so be prepared for that. When he rejects it, just stick to your story and be a broken record.

Plan A only means that you a) eliminate lovebusters and b) convey a WILLINGNESS to meet his needs IN THE FUTURE IF HE COMMITS TO THE MARRIAGE AND ENDS ALL CONTACT WITH THESE WOMEN.

Plan A is being FIRM and resolved.

Which lovebuster would that be EXACTLY? The basic issue is that he is not honest and can't be trusted. You need to be saying that. That is not a lovebuster.

Have you read about the concepts? What have you read so far?

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
Only if he is so angry that he won't hear anything. My suggestion would be to write it out and if he's not listening, hand him the letter to read. When he's cooled down enough for a civilized conversation then talk face to face. Give him the letter right after exposure though.

I like this idea of giving him a letter. It removes all the emotions and he can read it and then when he calms down you can discuss it. So why not write it out with the elements I gave you and give him the letter after you expose? Give him the letter, ask him to read it so you can discuss later.

Exposure 101

M
M

The reason you don't want to wait on OW#2 is because you are unlikely to EVER get the evidence since it is in the past. What are the odds they would talk about something in the past? It might never come up. Just go with what you have.

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by celticvoyager

I like this idea of giving him a letter. It removes all the emotions and he can read it and then when he calms down you can discuss it. So why not write it out with the elements I gave you and give him the letter after you expose? Give him the letter, ask him to read it so you can discuss later.

I would also make a copy of it in case he throws a tantrum and tears it up or something. Mel's right though, he will calm down enough the first day.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M

No. It causes a huge fight. We don't speak for hours. Everything is awkward and uncomfortable.
There will only be a fight if you engage with him in a fight. So...don't.

Stay calm. You are on a mission, sister. There is no need to expend the energy by having a knock-down, drag-out. Be cool, be collected, be resolved. Don't fight back.

You don't need to be lovey-dovey with him, either. Lay down your conditions. Tell him you love him and want to keep your marriage and 'here is what it will take.' How he reacts is his business (and he'll no doubt howl like a banshee, because that's what waywards do, so expect it.) YOU remain calm.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

P
OP Offline
P
Yes, emails seem to work with him so I could write a letter. Good idea.

WILLINGNESS to meet his needs....ah, that makes sense now.

I figured my jabs were LBs (angry outbursts) because they are snarky and always piss him off real quick and usually start an argument:

Exihibt A: I have this info that I'm sitting here stewing on... this morning as we are leaving the house I give him a school pic of one of our boys and I say "here, put in your office...maybe it'll help keep you honest"

And he gets pissed. "You see," he says "you are hell-bent on destroying us".

I read all the basic concepts.

Married 7 years
DDAY #1 - 11/8/2011 (EA)

M
M
I figured my jabs were LBs (angry outbursts) because they are snarky and always piss him off real quick and usually start an argument:

Exihibt A: I have this info that I'm sitting here stewing on... this morning as we are leaving the house I give him a school pic of one of our boys and I say "here, put in your office...maybe it'll help keep you honest"

I would lose the snarkiness and take a more direct approach like the one I suggested.

Exposure 101

I
I

Note: Waywards could cause an argument in an empty house and would try to pick a fight with our lord.

You: Gosh, you're handsome and support me so well.

WH: I knew it! You are shallow about looks and only want me for my money.

This is where reverse fog babble is so useful because you can come back with anything, it doenst have to make sense.

A) Yes we are a good looking couple, arent we?
B) Want a cookie?
c) I especially like your sexy chin dimple...

etc....

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M

Sarcasm is a form of disrespectful judgment.

Eliminating it was extremely hard for me.

And completely worth it.

(I still get to be kind of flirty sarcastic, sometimes, when she appreciates it. smile But that's different.)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
OP Offline
P
Major turn of events...

For the past two nights he's come home late. Not VERY late but about 20mins late or so - without good reason. The GPS tracker was giving me a weird address that looked like nothing but a parking lot so I was suspicious yes, but not yet convinced (denial).

I went to check out the spot yesterday during lunch. Yes, just a parking lot about a 1 minute drive from his job. I left work early and drove straight there last night. And of course found his car parked there. I searched the parking lot but could not find the two of them (OW#!). Eventually he came walking down the street with his tail between his legs.

He said it was just this one time, they were planning to just go around the block to Starbucks, blah, blah blah. I know not to believe any of that. So of course, at this point I accept that it's been physical and that they met secretly (that I know of) at LEAST TWO more times since I caught them and since there was supposed to be NC.

I immediately exposed to OW's BS. Admittedly it was in the heat of the moment and I should have calmed down and thought it through a little more carefully and handled it a bit better but I left a message at his place of employment and now his whole office knows. My intention was not to hurt him but to expose.

I got everything from my WH last night. Remorse, regret, promises for total transparency, ZERO contact, even tears almost.

Everything except - now he has to talk to her to go over the repercussions of MY actions in calling HIM. Such effing BS. I was not prepared for the excuse this would give him to talk to her today. Not quite sure how to handle it today. I have insisted and demanded that he simply write an email but they already talked once and will continue to talk today no matter what I say. It is SO infuriating to me that I am on the verge of doing and saying things that I know I will regret so please help me cope with this portion of it.

BTW - I am a total convert - exposure WORKS! He was sooooo p!ssed and said all the things you guys said he would and I kept calm and kept telling myself "this means it's working!"

BUT... the twist is that now he says he sees me in a different light, and how could "I" ruin someone ELSE's life like that blah, blah, blah I know BUT...it's definitely making me VERY unattractive to him right now so now what?

Married 7 years
DDAY #1 - 11/8/2011 (EA)

C
C
Major turn of events...

For the past two nights he's come home late. Not VERY late but about 20mins late or so - without good reason. The GPS tracker was giving me a weird address that looked like nothing but a parking lot so I was suspicious yes, but not yet convinced (denial).

I went to check out the spot yesterday during lunch. Yes, just a parking lot about a 1 minute drive from his job. I left work early and drove straight there last night. And of course found his car parked there. I searched the parking lot but could not find the two of them (OW#!). Eventually he came walking down the street with his tail between his legs.

He said it was just this one time, they were planning to just go around the block to Starbucks, blah, blah blah. I know not to believe any of that. So of course, at this point I accept that it's been physical and that they met secretly (that I know of) at LEAST TWO more times since I caught them and since there was supposed to be NC.

I immediately exposed to OW's BS. Admittedly it was in the heat of the moment and I should have calmed down and thought it through a little more carefully and handled it a bit better but I left a message at his place of employment and now his whole office knows. My intention was not to hurt him but to expose.

I got everything from my WH last night. Remorse, regret, promises for total transparency, ZERO contact, even tears almost.

Everything except - now he has to talk to her to go over the repercussions of MY actions in calling HIM. Such effing BS. I was not prepared for the excuse this would give him to talk to her today. Not quite sure how to handle it today. I have insisted and demanded that he simply write an email but they already talked once and will continue to talk today no matter what I say. It is SO infuriating to me that I am on the verge of doing and saying things that I know I will regret so please help me cope with this portion of it.

BTW - I am a total convert - exposure WORKS! He was sooooo p!ssed and said all the things you guys said he would and I kept calm and kept telling myself "this means it's working!"

BUT... the twist is that now he says he sees me in a different light, and how could "I" ruin someone ELSE's life like that blah, blah, blah I know BUT...it's definitely making me VERY unattractive to him right now so now what?

Now you ride the exposure wave and stick to the plan. Remind him if he contacts OW he's gone and plan A your behind off. Of course he will blame you, but continue with exposure until the affair is completely dead. Finish the exposure today... friends, family, mailman, everyone you are close to that doesn't know.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
G
G
...Everything except - now he has to talk to her to go over the repercussions of MY actions in calling HIM. Such effing BS. I was not prepared for the excuse this would give him to talk to her today. Not quite sure how to handle it today. I have insisted and demanded that he simply write an email but they already talked once and will continue to talk today no matter what I say. It is SO infuriating to me that I am on the verge of doing and saying things that I know I will regret ...
No. Here's where you need to put your foot down and say, "No. See her again, and you're out on your [censored]."
Failing to draw this line is what you may regret most.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by GloveOil
Failing to draw this line is what you may regret most.[/color]

Ok I did say that in many different ways shapes and forms. The question is, how do I ACT now?

We have a holiday luncheon in a couple of hours so I will see him. Do I act like the fabulous wife I'm so supposed to be during Plan A or let him know that I am done because when I hung up the phone with him just now, it was because SHE was calling to discuss the events of last night. And I said, "I already told you how I feel, do what you gotta do". He IS GOING to talk to her today regardless of what I say or do. My threats are empty to him because I told him last night there was still hope if he was willing to do all those things he promised me. **please wipe your feet on me before entering**

Married 7 years
DDAY #1 - 11/8/2011 (EA)

Page 7 of 26 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation