Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2575539 12/15/11 09:19 PM
M
OP Offline
M
So I just got off the phone with an old friend who called me out of the blue. She said she doesn't know why she called but she found my number on fb. (Just so you know, she lives in my home state which is a 16 hour drive away and a place I will not return to live unless my daughter is there). It just seems I get frequent chances to try to help marriages.

Anyway, our hour long conversation was basically her telling me her marital issues and me using MB to try to help her do what she could to get things going in a better direction.

She admitted there is SF about 5x's a month. They don't have any UA together. They don't have stimulating conversation hardly ever. She says they don't have any fun together. They work very different schedules. He is not an affectionate person and has never been.

I gave her several suggestions but she didn't agree that my suggestions would help. I told her who better to educate her husband on how to love her. She said she didn't think she should have to. I told her to see how increased SF might impact him for a while. She said she didn't want to do that. I said she should sit down and play a video game with him once a while. She said she wouldn't do that. I said find a way to get out and enjoy each other but she said he wouldn't if she asked because she's tried. I told her only option since he, from what she says, doesn't want help, won't do counseling, etc., was to try to be the best wife she could be.

What else could I tell her? She didn't say it, but conditions are favorable for her to have a ea/pa and I want to help them.

Last edited by marksaysay; 12/15/11 09:23 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
K
K
Originally Posted by marksaysay
What else could I tell her? She didn't say it, but conditions are favorable for her to have a ea/pa and I want to help them.

Ummm, she's hoping that you'll be her affair partner. Don't take any more calls from her.

At least that's how it looks from here.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
M
OP Offline
M
You really think so? I don't even see her that way...but I guess it could happen to anyone. I really just want to help.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
S
S
mark, you shouldn't be discussing marital/personal problems with any (married) females. That is a big no-no!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
C
C
Mark, be very very careful. Reading this I thought exactly the same as Kirby.

I recently got called on to meet with a friend's husband privately due to marital difficulties. I did it, but I was very very careful. My boundaries were very high. I sat at quite a distance, made clear that this was a one off meeting and I was not interested in meeting him again without his wife present, and kept the conversation very focussed on MB practices to strengthen his marriage.

I was very aware that both of us had EN's that we want met. Although I have never thought of him in "that way" and doubt I ever would, I have read here just how affairs start. No way for me.

I gave him my opinion, discussed MB strategies, and pointed him to this forum and Dr Harley's books. And then I told him first and foremost I will be there for my friend, his wife.

Yes he is a friend. But he is my friend's husband.

The time and energy this woman spent talking to you, could be better spent reading MB and implementing them with her husband.

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
M
OP Offline
M
I guess I must be honest. She is an old girlfriend whom I haven't spoken to or seen in about 10 years. I don't have any feelings for her anymore, she's married, and I'm still in love with my ww. I WAS surprised to say the least when I saw the call.

I really did just want to help but it's probably not a good idea. The distance would make it difficult for anything to happen but I realize it's playing with fire.

Thanks.

Last edited by marksaysay; 12/15/11 09:57 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
Mark, ITA. All I got from this is DANGER DANGER DANGER.

What you can do is point her to MB and the material and tell her that she should find some FEMALE friends to discuss her marital problems with.

You need to shore up your boundaries until your divorce is final and you are ready to date.

Before of those who have weak boundaries and are trolling.

She shared way too many things with you that shouldn't have been shared with a man other than her husband.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
H
Discussing marital or relationships is Intimate Conversation. Because of this, Love Bank deposits are made by having these types of conversations.

So, were you to continue attempting to coach this woman, both of you could develop a Love Bank balance that reaches the threshold of Romantic Love. Love Bank deposits aren't always willful and rational. However, Mark, you know these concepts. You should defer to the books, site, or coaching center to protect yourself.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
K
K
She is an old girlfriend

Which makes me totally certain that she was trolling for an A.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
S
S
I guess I must be honest. She is an old girlfriend whom I haven't spoken to or seen in about 10 years. I don't have any feelings for her anymore, she's married, and I'm still in love with my ww. I WAS surprised to say the least when I saw the call.

I really did just want to help but it's probably not a good idea. The distance would make it difficult for anything to happen but I realize it's playing with fire.

Thanks.

Oh, forgive me. REMOVE HER AND ANY OLD GIRLFRIENDS FROM FACEBOOK NOW. There, done.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
Mark, ITA. All I got from this is DANGER DANGER DANGER.

What you can do is point her to MB and the material and tell her that she should find some FEMALE friends to discuss her marital problems with.

You need to shore up your boundaries until your divorce is final and you are ready to date.

Before of those who have weak boundaries and are trolling.

She shared way too many things with you that shouldn't have been shared with a man other than her husband.

In her defense, she only shared those things because I asked questions in an attempt to find something to help her change. I'm totally sold on MB concepts and love having this knowledge that I can share. That's all I wanted to do - help. Our whole conversation was MB concepts.

I do understand, though. NOT a good idea no matter how pure my intentions really are.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
Slippery slope and all that. Have you read How Affairs begin? You may need to re-read it. Also, there was a thread that Pepperband started that was all about the steps to adultery. I think you would find that some of those steps were taken here.

Also, give a long hard look as to why you deceived us at first by leaving out that she was a former girlfriend. I think you already knew that it was crossing some boundaries.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
Also, give a long hard look as to why you deceived us at first by leaving out that she was a former girlfriend. I think you already knew that it was crossing some boundaries.

I can't say that you're not spot on. I actually laughed when I read this because I knew it was true. I left out that detail because I knew you guys would send 2x4's from every direction.

I really was trying to help, though. I guess I just can't strews that enough. I even found myself getting frustrated and a bit bothered
because I was giving her what I thought was good advice but she almost seemed to not want it.

Last edited by marksaysay; 12/15/11 10:33 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
but she almost seemed to not want it.

Because she was trolling.

Lesson learned? I would tell her about MB, DrH, and cut her loose. You don't need her drama, and you definitely don't need to become an OM.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
You really think so? I don't even see her that way...but I guess it could happen to anyone. I really just want to help.

Boundaries are for everybody, mark!

I heard Dr. Harley saying today on an old 2007 broadcast, and I've heard him say it before: to grow love, use conversation. That's really one of the number ones for women and men, sometimes whether they realize it or not.

Do you know what women talk about when they are having an affair? They talk about their marital problems. That is what makes the most love bank deposits. I have heard Dr. Harley advise husbands to talk to their wives about their problems, because that's what makes the biggest deposits.

Talking to a woman alone about her relationship problems is the surest way to her heart, and a great way to open yours to her.

I heard another old broadcast yesterday in which Dr. Harley advised a couple for their conversation not to discuss "topics," but to discuss each other. Discuss themselves. This type of conversation is the intimate conversation that lights the spark of a romantic relationship.

I am assuming you do not believe sparking a romantic relationship with this troubled married woman is appropriate. Therefore, I advise you to make the situation fireproof by taking extraordinary precautions to avoid love bank deposits in either direction. You'll never get addicted to alcohol if you don't take the first drink, you know?

There is a woman at work in a bad marriage. She gripes frequently to the man who works at the desk next to me. He gives advice and shares personal information about his relationship with his girlfriend. I slip on headphones or leave. I do not give her any advice whatsoever. I can't help everybody. I know that's a dangerous situation, and I simply won't enter it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
OP Offline
M
This does bring up an interesting question. Because of the journey I've been on over the last year and all that I've learned, I have a GREAT desire to want to help others. What good is what I've learned if I cant help others that I know, even if they are women?

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
I would point her in the right direction, remove her from FB, and GET AWAY.

Damsels in distress are A LOT of OW's. You don't need that.

Have you removed her from FB yet?

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
I will delete her as soon as I can get to a computer. I can't seem to find a way to unfriend on my phone app which is all I have.

In terms of helping others, I wasn't just talking about her. I'm a minister (just in case some have forgot) and helping others is what I do.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
I dunno what to advise you on a professional level. Not my expertise. I'll let others weigh in on that.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
C
C
I will delete her as soon as I can get to a computer. I can't seem to find a way to unfriend on my phone app which is all I have.

In terms of helping others, I wasn't just talking about her. I'm a minister (just in case some have forgot) and helping others is what I do.

How do male ministers counsel women?

Never alone for one.

If alone in an office, then with the door open and someone outside

Never over the phone.

Never old flames and

never alone...

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 147 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation