Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
N
A real counselor! Maybe you can start having training sessions for other counselors, and get a few of them a clue!!!! grin

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Z
zibbles Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Most Counselors are totally messed up. Ask me how I know! Tons of alcoholism, addiction and sick relationships. It's sad. I've thought about trying my hand at something else but I just keep coming back to it.

I would LOVE to see more counselors get off the "let's rehash the past, and list all the flaws and bellyache over all that's not right."

UGH.

Thanks again. I'm venturing back to posting and embracing Glove Oil's wise advice to add some deets about my own experience. So many of you have inspired me! You'll never know but I'll do my best to let you know as often as I can.

N
N
I would LOVE to see more counselors get off the "let's rehash the past, and list all the flaws and bellyache over all that's not right."

Not much job security in that...

wink

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Z
zibbles Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Amen, Neak!

It's easy to drag out therapy for years by immersing the client over and over in their own pain. Like I said above...UGH.

C
C
Originally Posted by zibbles
The truth is Senn, I need to pull back to work on my own stuff.

I got problems over here and have been spending time advising others (and hiding from my own stuff) while my marriage/family could use some attention and major application of MB principles.

I see myself in you (although I am the WW in my sitch). I am not taking enough action and it's starting to cause a lot of frustration for me internally.
Hi zibbles, I noticed your post over on Senn's thread. I didn't want this to get lost (I occasionally re-read my own thread to further absorb MB advice and thought you might do the same).

I commend you on your self-awareness. If you need to concentrate on your own sitch at the moment, I hope you update your thread. This can help you grow and learn, as well as benefitting others. I think you have a lot to offer the forum.

Regardless, I wish you well on your personal growth, along with recovering your marriage.

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
S
S
Originally Posted by zibbles
That's right. I'm a FWW. I engaged in an online EA two years ago with an old high school guy on facebook. It lasted a couple months and consisted of sporadic, suggestive messages. I was acting like a freak and checking facebook all the time to see what he was doing, etc.

It ended when he drove hours to see me only to announce he was engaging in a full blown PA and had found true love at last. He's married by the way.

That encounter was so horrifying. I woke up and looked at what I was doing and the risks I was inviting into my life, my marriage and my family. This was two years ago. It took me another year to find marriage builders and start reading everything I could get my hands on and acting on it.

I used to be in the camp of "follow your bliss" and other such nonsense. I see marriages blowing up right and left all around me. I can sense when someone is casting around for an affair. It's everywhere!

This is why I feel I understand some of these WW's. I get the entitled, "I want to be happy and there's something better out there for me" BS because I lived it.

I'm sorry to say that I'm a counselor and up until the last 2 years, I offered very bad advice to my clients dealing with adultery. I still think about some of the people I injured with my crap insight.

Just thought it only fair to let everyone know my history. Posting here and especially encouraging the BH's is part of how I'm trying to make amends.

I've been working to create a better marriage and have a long way to go. My husband isn't perfect but I love him and I want our family to work. We've talked about what happened in depth and also talk about how often those opportunities to let the boundaries slide come up. Like I said above, it's everywhere.

The thing is, some people have those boundaries and they're so firm. Others are sliding around all over the place. I honestly believe that people who get carried away by an extramarital affair are looking for it. They just can't admit it. I WAS looking for it. Some excitement, passion, romance, to feel attractive, etc but when I got up close and really saw what it was/is, I was and am horrified by it.

Shame on me.

I'm here to learn to be a better wife and partner, to learn to be of better service to my clients and to make amends.

Thank you for posting your insights as a fWW and I congratulate you for your personal and professional awakening. I know what you posted (emphasized) above is true for the vast majority of WSs--amazing how they all think their "situation is so unique and special", huh?--but is really is HORRIFYING to see and experience on the other end with a WS who has no self-awareness.

H
H
Originally Posted by Neak

Not much job security in that...

wink

Oh, as a private counselor... maybe.

Do that crap in an acute or long-term mental health facility and you wouldn't stop skidding before your ears ground off...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation