Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Wife had a brief affair a few years ago with a guy I knew from work. We are well on the way to recovery but I have one thing that I still question.

The AP lives in the north part of the valley and we in the south. Not really any chance for face to face contact. My wife is committed to NC and she hasn't for 2.5 years. I believe she is sincere in it all being over.

My problem is the AP and I are in the same industry and occasionally I will come across his name or even a picture or references to him in a conversation. It seems like I am still trying to protect my wife from being triggered by a mention of him in any way. I go out of my way to make sure they have NC even inadvertently.

I'm starting to wonder of this is affecting me negatively though.

Anyone have any comments on this?

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
M
M
Is it affecting you negatively?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is it affecting you negatively?

I don't think so but I'm wary of longterm effects. Will this cause me never to "let it go"?

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
S
S
I understand your thoughts. My WW took up with a real estate agent who specialized in selling homes throughout the entire southeast quarter of my town of 130,000. His name was on signs in yards, it seemed, nearly everywhere, and the Sunday paper had an insert with real estate ads that carried a picture of him and a handful or more of his prime listings. The company he worked for, ReMax, advertises heavily both nationally and locally.

I have no doubt that the constant reminders played a negative role in my personal healing process. I don't post much anymore, but I believe that both WS and BS are supposed to maintain a postion of No Contact with the AP.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do whatever you could do to avoid any contact, however slight. It takes your thoughts to a bad place, and will for a long, long time.

best wishes

BH - me 53, ONS 1979
FWW - 51, 2 EA's, 1 PA
Last D-Day, Sep. 30, 2003
Last Contact/recovery began 2-26-04

***You can do anything with time and money...but remember...money won't buy you time!***
T
T
Originally Posted by shattered dreams
If I were in your shoes, I'd do whatever you could do to avoid any contact, however slight. It takes your thoughts to a bad place, and will for a long, long time.

best wishes
I agree. Any further contact triggers hurt that can harm you emotionally.
I think it is okay to keep tabs on former AP, to see what the OP is up to, but not to let OP "hear from" you in any way at all.

Married 31 years, 5 kids, 4 GK

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation