Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
As most of you know, Mel Gibson and his wife are divorced.

I read in an article that she is going to get half of his estimated $850 million estate and will be entitled to half of whatever else he might earn for the rest of his life.

Why? Because they never had a prenup.

Take that, you nasty WH!

Last edited by karmasrose; 12/27/11 09:18 PM.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
K
K
I'm a huge proponent of prenup. However, I think infidelity should be a clause in there that you forefit that prenup if infidelity is in the marriage.

I have an uncle whose wife cheated on him and left him for her affair partner and ended up with a huge amount and he was left with next to nothing. He had A LOT of money prior to the marriage...two houses, condo in Colorado for skiing, couple of boats, several classic cars, etc etc etc. She got most of it.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
She bore seven of his children and gave him 30 years of her life. I give her 75% if I was the judge. She was cheated on and humiliated by Mel Gibson all because he had sex with a gold digger. If his fog wasn't so thick, then he would have seen her for what she is a home-wrecking fool.

He ended up beating the snot out of his OW because he threw away his entire life for her. Their OC was planned so his OW could get some of his money too.

How does a Pre-Nup fit in with Dr. Harley's principles? A marriage is for life. Pre-Nup gives the feeling there is an out.

Last edited by itistoughlove; 12/28/11 05:30 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by karmasrose
As most of you know, Mel Gibson and his wife are divorced.

I read in an article that she is going to get half of his estimated $850 million estate and will be entitled to half of whatever else he might earn for the rest of his life.

Why? Because they never had a prenup.

Take that, you nasty WH!

*like*

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
H
H
Originally Posted by itistoughlove
How does a Pre-Nup fit in with Dr. Harley's principles? A marriage is for life. Pre-Nup gives the feeling there is an out.

Try looking at it with a BH's eyes, or a primary breadwinner's eyes.

A prenup (or post-nup) is about quantifying the cost of infidelity or divorce in an economic fashion.

You are making a generalized statement about prenups based off of your reaction to this instance, and from the standpoint of a BW.

What if it was his wife that was the cheater, and she walked away with a similar settlement? Would you opine the same way?

What if it were the SAHD of a billionaire businesswoman who went WH?

How does a prenub fit in with MB? By defining the severity of consequences for divorce or infidelity.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
What if it was his wife that was the cheater, and she walked away with a similar settlement? Would you opine the same way?

Stop asking difficult questions HHH ! rotflmao

Me being unpopular:

I've met this WH/cheater/movie star.
He is charming and charismatic (when sober).
I'm pretty sure he 'fell off the wagon' and we all know what happens when that happens. sick puke

K
OP Offline
K
He leapt straight off a cliff?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
H
H

Well, figuratively speaking... yes.

Addicts are terribly self destructive.

And, no, that isn't a free pass for anything. Addiction is a disease that the sufferer is responsible to manage.

Diabetics have to manage their blood sugars and use their medications, addicts have to NOT USE.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

P
P

Pretty much.

M
M

A prenup (or post-nup) is about quantifying the cost of infidelity or divorce in an economic fashion.

You are making a generalized statement about prenups based off of your reaction to this instance, and from the standpoint of a BW.

How does a prenub fit in with MB? By defining the severity of consequences for divorce or infidelity.

I am against Pre-Nups 100%. You cannot go into a marriage with an out. Marriage is for life. If you want to change how assets are awarded in a divorce with infidelity, then change the laws. Vote for those who will support the betrayed.

Last edited by itistoughlove; 12/29/11 07:28 PM.
H
H

I am against Pre-Nups 100%. You cannot go into a marriage with an out. Marriage is for life. If you want to change how assets are awarded in a divorce with infidelity, then change the laws. Vote for those who will support the betrayed.

Until the day those candidates run, until the day those laws exist, my marriage will include a post-nup stating that FWW will receive no more than 25% of marital assets if divorce occurs due to infidelity committed by her.

It is an out; its an out for this BH if she ever gets it in her head she will get a cotton pickin thing from me for dippin in the honey pot.

And THAT supports this betrayed spouse.

K
K
I don't think a pre-nup gives the illusion of an out at all. What it does give is the expectation that this is a binding contract for life and if it is broken, then things are forefeit.

In the case of my uncle, he lost 75% of everything in the marriage...except the debt. And a ton of things that he had before the marriage including very valuable family heirlooms that had huge sentimental value because they were given to him by his grandparents before they passed away.

This is worse than a travesty. It's theft. It's wrong. A prenup could have at least saved the emotionally valuable stuff.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation