Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
hurtdad #2583938 01/11/12 12:26 PM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by hurtdad
Well ain't you just grand for having only "slipped" once. It's called justifying and minimizing.

I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to be flippant. I regret my choice to engage in sexting and the pain it has caused.

mfal #2583939 01/11/12 12:26 PM
N
N
Has there never been a case where the WW absolutely cannot reasonably commit to a "no contact" agreement and things get better?

Nope.

Flirting isn't unnatural or dirty. He flirts as well. We were both like this before marriage, and it has never been an issue.

Flirting is like playing Russian Roulette. You may get away with it for a while, but sooner or later you will get shot.

The advice you have been getting is not just a possible way to deal with this...it is the ONLY SUCCESSFUL WAY to heal and recover your marriage.

You need:

HONESTY
NO CONTACT
ELIMINATE THE CONDITIONS THAT MADE THIS A POSSIBLE

If your M is to truly succeed, your BH will need to stop flirting as well, and tighten up his own boundaries around women. That should be at the very, very bottom of your worry list right now.

You clean up your own side of the street. It's the only side you can control. Right now it's just as messy as if you'd had a PA. You need all the same steps as if it was a PA.

Don't kid yourself. This is way more than "dirty fantasies". You can make it through this, as long as you take the steps to heal. Radical Honesty, No Contact, Extraordinary Precautions.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
mfal #2583940 01/11/12 12:27 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by mfal
[

He did ask who. I did not want to say. Months later, he asked if it was OP, and I denied it. Why? Because it would hurt many, many people for that detail to come out, and I'm unwilling to hurt those people for MY MISTAKE.

I have been extremely open in communicating my needs to him. He is in a fog of his own.

You LIED to him. Your lies hurt him and your marriage. Saying you don't want to "hurt people" is just an excuse to avoid doing the right thing. If your friend stole your money would it be ok for her not to tell you because she doesn't want to "hurt you?" Wouldnt' that be a ridiculous excuse?

You have secrets with the OM to which your husband is not privy. Intimacy and trust can never be restored on that basis. You are living a lie.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
You cannot lie your way to a good marriage. It doesn't work.

I have a hard time believing this is your first affair with such a profoundly dishonest attitude like that. I know you would not hesitate to lie to board members if you felt it was expedient.

How about trying to remember that old screen name so we can look up your old posts? You say you got divorced because your H was "abusive" but that is the favored lie of almost every wayward wife.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

mfal #2583945 01/11/12 12:32 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Mfal --

I'm baffled. When you told your husband about the texts -- HE DIDN'T ASK YOU WHO IT WAS? What kind of guy doesn't want to know who is threatening his marriage? What kind of guy doesn't want to protect his wife?

MFAL -- you must get the message through to your husband that one of your primary needs is not being met - and it is threatening your happiness and marriage. It is your responsibility to be open and honest about that...

He did ask who. I did not want to say. Months later, he asked if it was OP, and I denied it. Why? Because it would hurt many, many people for that detail to come out, and I'm unwilling to hurt those people for MY MISTAKE.

No. It would hurt YOU. You want to keep OM in your life and the only way to do this is to withhold that info from your BH.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
What a load of crap. You were not honest. You told him a glossed over, minimized story to assauge your guilt. You didn't tell him the truth. Your lies have harmed your marriage.

I admire your passion, but we are at an impasse.

I cannot reveal this persons identity without hurting innocent people.

I have caused enough suffering. I will not do it.

I will not leave my home, my job, my extended family or my community over a few dirty messages.

I was wrong to seek advice here.

mfal #2583955 01/11/12 12:38 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Mfal --

I'm baffled. When you told your husband about the texts -- HE DIDN'T ASK YOU WHO IT WAS? What kind of guy doesn't want to know who is threatening his marriage? What kind of guy doesn't want to protect his wife?

MFAL -- you must get the message through to your husband that one of your primary needs is not being met - and it is threatening your happiness and marriage. It is your responsibility to be open and honest about that...

I have been extremely open in communicating my needs to him. He is in a fog of his own.

If you're too cowardly to answer a basic question like "Who was the OP?", then do him the biggest favor you possibly could a file for a divorce.

I don't say that out of anger at all. You don't have any respect for your spouse, he obviously doesn't have the guts or the desire to divorce you even though you are toxic for him, so prove you have some level of love for him and cut him loose.

Then again, if you can't answer a simple question, you probably don't have the guts to do that either.

Divorced
mfal #2583956 01/11/12 12:39 PM
P
P
What a load of crap. You were not honest. You told him a glossed over, minimized story to assauge your guilt. You didn't tell him the truth. Your lies have harmed your marriage.

I admire your passion, but we are at an impasse.

I have caused enough suffering. I will not do it.

I will not leave my home, my job, my extended family or my community over a few dirty messages.

I was wrong to seek advice here.

Is this a GBCW post? crybaby

mfal #2583962 01/11/12 12:45 PM
H
H
I FLIRT. Always have. I do it with my husband. I do it with him watching. I do it when I'm out with girlfriends. They are friends with my husband and tell him everything. Nothing to hide there. Lots of people do, without issue. I'm that kind of person. I haven't had a problem with wanting any more to come of it.

HUGE PROBLEM!!!!! Why do you need to flirt with other men? Do you know what a boundary is?

Like I said, I've made a mistake. Flirting led to sexual messages, which led to me feeling guilty, telling my husband, and ending the sexual conversations.

You continue to see the OM and still have fantasies about him. To end this, there must be NO CONTACT. PERIOD!!

No one is ever going to look at this from the perspective I have on it. I have ONE FRIEND who I've been able to come clean with. She just doesn't know how to help me.

You are correct. No one here is going to condone you continuing to harm you marriage by refusing to go no contact with the OM.

BH-51
FWW-39
6 month EA
4 fantastic kids.
Happily Recovered
mfal #2583963 01/11/12 12:47 PM
M
M
I am not discounting the advice here, I'm just ... quite overwhelmed.

Would you please consider talking to Dr. Harley, professionally? He can help you organize and prioritize the advice you are given and put together a plan to fix this.

Since you are overwhelmed, it is going to be hard to put one foot in front of the other.

Therefore, you need help.

You can talk to Dr. Harley for free on his radio show:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi4200_radio.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a hard time believing this is your first affair with such a profoundly dishonest attitude like that. I know you would not hesitate to lie to board members if you felt it was expedient.

You will believe what you want to believe. I have nothing to gain by lying here.

How about trying to remember that old screen name so we can look up your old posts? You say you got divorced because your H was "abusive" but that is the favored lie of almost every wayward wife.

I don't think even hospital records would change your opinion of me, but I know what I endured and what I escaped. Never once did I stray.

Thanks to those who tried to help, but I don't see any kind of cure being offered for the underlying symptoms. People whose needs are being met don't cheat. That's what I heard.

mfal #2583965 01/11/12 12:48 PM
O
O
Let's see . . .

-You engage in independent behavior.

-You proudly maintain relationships with male friends.

- You are a self-proclaimed very sexual woman who constantly reminds her husband that he's not meeting your needs -- specifically, your sexual needs.

- You engaged in an emotonal affair. You told your husband about the emotional affair, but refused to identify your affair partner even though he wanted to know. He correctly guessed the identity of the affair partner and you lied about it.

- You are openly living a lie with your husband and refuse to give him pertinent details about his life (rest assured mfal, he KNOWS the identity of your paramour . . .).

- You are at wits-end in trying to come up with answers about why your husband doesn't want to engage in SF with you.

Don't know your husband; he may be very different from me. However, if you looked like Angelina Jolie and treated me the way you're treating him, it's likely the only occasion I may be able to rise to would be to puke in your shoes.

M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Is this a GBCW post? crybaby

More of a white flag.

Do we joke about suicide here? I wasn't informed. :l

mfal #2583968 01/11/12 12:52 PM
P
P
Suicide?
What are you talking about?

Krazy71 #2583969 01/11/12 12:52 PM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
If you're too cowardly to answer a basic question like "Who was the OP?", then do him the biggest favor you possibly could a file for a divorce.

I don't say that out of anger at all. You don't have any respect for your spouse, he obviously doesn't have the guts or the desire to divorce you even though you are toxic for him, so prove you have some level of love for him and cut him loose.

It crossed my mind. He deserves better than me.

M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Suicide?

GBCW?

Does this mean something else I'm unaware of?

mfal #2583971 01/11/12 12:53 PM
J
J

Wrong.

You do not care about innocent people or you wouldn't have engaged in this to begin with.

The only thing you care about is losing the ability to keep the OM in YOUR life.

How is your BH supposed to protect HIMSELF and YOU if he doesn't know WHOM to protect HIMSELF and YOU from???

Jim

FWW 48 had EA and PA affair with my brother which ended in 2006. Me BH 53. Happily recovering with a new and better marriage through MB!!! My thread - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2110024#Post2110024
mfal #2583973 01/11/12 12:53 PM
P
P
It crossed my mind. He deserves better than me.

You owe it to yourself to become a better more mature person.

N
N
You have already hurt the innocent people. You have already destroyed whatever bond of family and friendship exist. The innocent people just don't know it yet.

People whose needs are being met don't cheat.

This isn't necessarily true, but for the moment lets skip an argument of the basic premise and pretend it's completely factual.

So a person's needs weren't being met and they cheated. They are still in contact with the OP.

Are we really going to advise that the first step is to see that their EN's get met so they don't cheat again? No!!! The first step, once that line has been crossed - as it has been in your case - is to tell the BS and establish NC.

To focus on unmet needs whilst contact with the OP is ongoing is like hunting everywhere for tweezers to remove a splinter as the patient bleeds to death from a severed leg.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
mfal #2583977 01/11/12 12:55 PM
P
P
Suicide?

GBCW?

Does this mean something else I'm unaware of?

Yes.
It's a term we have for posters who leave a message that they are being treated badly by MBers and announce they will never return to MB ever again. Except, they usually do.

Very dramatic.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation