Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44
F
OP Offline
F
The title of my forum fits perfectly with my situation because once again I am asking, What to do? The roller coaster has taken a massive dip down and I as the WS don't know exactly what to do.

Something that I do not believe that I have mentioned yet on this blog is that the night my husband decided that he could not deal with the pain anymore and was leaving (1/2/12) he confessed to me that he had been chatting with another girl. He said he met her when he was out one night and that they had been texting and talking.

He mentioned that she was divorced because her husband cheated on her (something in common) and that she knew he was married and nothing had happened yet. That they had just been talking and texting a lot.

This really hurt, but being the WW, I knew that I could not get angry and that I really didn't have much of a leg to stand on at this point. I tried to push it out of my mind and just told him that if he was going to seek out this relationship, that I would like to know.

I did bring it up only a couple other times but never in an accusatory way. When he asked for the divorce, I did ask if it was because of someone else and he said no. I know I had no right to do this but I said it before I could really think about it.

This morning while paying my phone bill, my curiosity got the best of me and I started looking through my husbands phone bill. What I have found out by the phone records are that he has been having a number of lengthy conversations with another female on both her home and cell phone. They started on 12/18 while we both were still living together in the house. The last call from either number is on 1/5/12.

So, this is where I am, as of this moment. I feel like this is a well deserved stab in my heart. I'm really not sure what to do or say about this. I know that I do not have the right to confront my husband and I am the one who caused all of this pain for both of us.

I don't know anything more than the phone calls and don't really know if I want to know anymore or even deserve to know anymore. I guess my question is What do I do now?

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Just Learning

Pep has given you great advice. Listen to her. Also realize that anger is a secondary emotion driven by: fear, pain, anxiety, frustration, etc. So you are seeing manifestations of what he told you, just expressed differently from time to time as his ride on the roller coaster takes him up and down.

I fully agree with the "I'm sorry" statement. Try humor, try care, try to let him know that you KNOW what you want and it is him.

As for why? Well, I liked Pep's answer. Another would be pure and simple selfishness. Another is assumptions: you assumed several things (you would not get caught) (you could talk yourself out of it) (your rationalization that it would NOT hurt him too much or he did not care) Any or all of these could be the reason, but selfishness is clearly a big reason.

I would expand on what Pep has also said, by saying you should never lie to him. But, by the same token try to enjoy your time around him as well. Meet his needs or if you are unsure about his needs try reading the needs articles here and then His Needs Her Needs, you will get a better idea of how to address his needs.

The thing you need to fear is withdrawal and indifference. There is a famous saying that goes
The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

There is hope for your situation. It will take time, focus, and lots of patience but he is still interacting with you and showing you care. That is good.

God Bless,

JL
Originally Posted by Just Learning

Pep has given you great advice. Listen to her. Also realize that anger is a secondary emotion driven by: fear, pain, anxiety, frustration, etc. So you are seeing manifestations of what he told you, just expressed differently from time to time as his ride on the roller coaster takes him up and down.

I fully agree with the "I'm sorry" statement. Try humor, try care, try to let him know that you KNOW what you want and it is him.

As for why? Well, I liked Pep's answer. Another would be pure and simple selfishness. Another is assumptions: you assumed several things (you would not get caught) (you could talk yourself out of it) (your rationalization that it would NOT hurt him too much or he did not care) Any or all of these could be the reason, but selfishness is clearly a big reason.

I would expand on what Pep has also said, by saying you should never lie to him. But, by the same token try to enjoy your time around him as well. Meet his needs or if you are unsure about his needs try reading the needs articles here and then His Needs Her Needs, you will get a better idea of how to address his needs.

The thing you need to fear is withdrawal and indifference. There is a famous saying that goes
The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

There is hope for your situation. It will take time, focus, and lots of patience but he is still interacting with you and showing you care. That is good.

God Bless,

JL

You are so right. I did ASSUME a lot of things. As the saying goes when you ASSUME you make an [censored] out of U and ME. I ASSUMED that I would not cheat again because it had been 13 years. I even when so far to as to ASSUME that he had already or was cheating on me to justify what I was doing. What a selfish, stupid person I was. As Pepper said - "baby steps to hell" because that is where I feel like I am right now. It is a good thing I turned around and started in the other directions but man it is hot in here!

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
P
P
Originally Posted by fifteenyears
So, this is where I am, as of this moment. I feel like this is a well deserved stab in my heart. I'm really not sure what to do or say about this. I know that I do not have the right to confront my husband and I am the one who caused all of this pain for both of us.

I don't know anything more than the phone calls and don't really know if I want to know anymore or even deserve to know anymore. I guess my question is What do I do now?

Point #1.
No one 'deserves' to have their spouse cheat on them. Not me. Not you. End of discussion.

Point #2.
Cheating does a lot of personal damage to the cheater.
Name one person who became a better human being because they cheated?
Not one.
A cheater may become a better human being after they repair the damages and make amends. But cheating does not build character. Ever. End of discussion.

Point #3.
Are you married?
Yes, you are.
Do you have the right to ask your husband about his conversations with OW?
Yes, you do.
Also, you have the responsibility, as a newly emerging MB'er, to be HONEST.
If you're going to get anywhere in your recovery, it must begin with honesty.

State the facts and make your request in a non-accusatory way.

"I know you've been in conversations with OW. I hope you are not making the same mistakes I have made. If anyone knows the pain of losing one's values, it is me. I am asking you to stop contact with OW."

Be prepared to listen to his; "Yes but you did thus and so".

You respond "I know that my lying and cheating has hurt you. I also know that my cheating has hurt me as a human being. I am asking you to not hurt yourself in the way I have hurt myself."

Then, let it go. Don't nag.
However, find out if OW is married.

S
S
He still sees it as a prison sentence for me

I had a little thought when you mentioned this that he may have been worried about the kind of EPs HE would have to face. It IS possible, but I would do as Pep suggested.

There is NEVER an excuse for an affair. The fact that your spouse had an affair doesn't excuse your actions.

Stick to the MB plans.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Something that I do not believe that I have mentioned yet on this blog is that the night my husband decided that he could not deal with the pain anymore and was leaving (1/2/12) he confessed to me that he had been chatting with another girl. He said he met her when he was out one night and that they had been texting and talking.

So this is you on the radio show from 1-12? Because that is the EXACT situation the caller describes to Dr Harley on this show:

Part 1,

Part 2,

Part 3.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
the night my husband decided that he could not deal with the pain anymore and was leaving (1/2/12) he confessed to me that he had been chatting with another girl.

Grrrrrrr! Keeping this from US for almost two weeks is not highly indicative of the new, highly marriage-oriented person you have decided to work toward becoming.

We can't help you with what we do not know about.

F
OP Offline
F
ML, that was not me on the Radio station but I did listen to all three segments and it was very scary how much it sounded like me.

NG, I did not think it was my place as a WS to do anything about it. Especially since he was leaving me. I'm sure in his head he is now Justifying and ASSUMING that this is okay because we are separated and I did it first. Believe me, I am not justifying his actions but I know that he will.

I am still learning here. I really wasn't trying to keep anything. I guess I was in my own denial about this situation because I really didn't want it to be real.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
I just called my BS and he was with a friend. I did not think it was a good time to talk. He said he was going to call me back later. I looked at the phone records and he has been talking to the OW since December 18th. Everyday up until January 5th. These are just the phone calls. I can't get any access to the text messages.

When he told me about talking to her on 1/2/12 he told me that she was divorced for a year b/c her husband cheated on her. I however got this information from him. I do have a name and a couple of phone numbers. Not much more than that at this time.

Pepper your advice was wonderful and I am going to use your words and the strength of God when I talk to him and try to stay calm, cool, and collected. I am not going to accuse or blame him for anything.

Any other words of advice before he calls me back would be extremely helpful. Again, no matter what I am going to go through MB to make myself a better person in my future, no matter what my future holds.

Thank you everyone for giving me the strength to see myself for who and what I truly am and who I am capable of becoming.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
Does the OW have a facebook page?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
Again, no matter what I am going to go through MB to make myself a better person in my future, no matter what my future holds.

This is exactly how I wound up here, and thankful I did.

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Viper #2585540 01/14/12 07:36 PM
F
OP Offline
F
My heart is truly breaking but this is where I am right now. I called my husband tonight and asked him about the OW. I was very calm and did not accuse, I just asked questions. He told me that he has been in a relationship with her since the middle of December. It has already become a PA. He tried to blame it on me but I calmly said that "I will gladly take the blame for my own affair, but not yours."

He also justified it because he said they were just texting and talking to each other until he moved out (not sure how true this is). Either way, I told him "an afair is an afair is an afair." Pepper I used a lot of your lines, THANK YOU!

He showed no remorse and actually seemed a little agitated with me. I also found out that last Tuesday night when he left our daughters school event to "go out to dinner with his dad and brother" that he really went to a concert with her.

ML, I actually got back on fb today to try to find her. I did find someone that seemed to fit the description and I am not sure if it is her. I did call her and leave a message on her phone. It was very calm but I just explained to her that she and my husband were in an affair and it was wrong because he was still married to me.

I have not lost hope in myself. I still believe God led me to this site to give me strength right now.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
S
S
Well, this is a whole bunch of mess. This is one of the many reasons that we tell BSs to shore up their boundaries after the discovery of their WSs A.

You need to snoop and find out about her. Then you need to expose. You should do Plan A for a short time, 3-4 weeks, and then Plan B.

Does your WH(BH) know that you post here? Does he know about MB?

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
R
R
fifteenyears: I'm so sorry about this latest unfortunate turn of events. It's not fair to you he should've waited until you were divorced before starting another relationship. I have the same fear that my STBXH is going to start dating and i do not know how I'm going to handle it. But you need to stay strong and listen to the excellent advice that you will be given here. Tell your husband still want to reconcile but that he has to end the affair and most of all to not let this be swept under the rug this doesn't change anything you did you still had a affair the only thing that's different now is he's had one as well.

WW(me)41
BH(STBXBH)40
DD 16 14 2
D-day 02/07/11
BH moved out 10/12/11
F
OP Offline
F
Scotland,

He does know about this site and I have been trying to get him on this past week. He also knows my user name and all of the information. Now I realize why he was so reluctant to get on.

RL - I agree with everything you said. I am heartbroken but I am not going to let it break me or sway me from the progress I have already made using this program.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Being the cheater then being cheated on in less than two months...I would not recommend it to anyone. Sorry I had to start my day out with a little humor to keep me going. I did not get much sleep last night. My mind would not stop racing. Just when I thought being the betrayer stinks, being betrayed is even worse.

At this point my H does not feel like he did anything wrong. He is showing almost no emotion what so ever right now. What was the word you guys used - INDIFFERENT - Yeah I think we are there.

My children, parents, and a handful of my friends know. My H told me that his parents know but it would not surprise me if they encouraged it and feel the same way he does, that it is just. They have been against us healing and getting back together from the beginning. Which doesn't surprise me, they are both cheaters who swept everything under the rug so far that now they cannot even except the reality of this situation. To them, it is always someone else's fault and its better to just not deal with it. So I know why my H is acting the way he is.

Sorry, I am venting a little bit because I need to get it out. I don't want to have an AO on my husband. I am going to try to talk to him today at some time.

My children are a wreck right now. They do not want to see my husband or talk to him. I know he is going to blame this on me but I have not said one word against him other than the truth and the facts of the situation. Actions truly speak louder than words and my children are disgusted with his actions.

Double wammies really hurt bad! I am going to have to steal someone else's line today to get through the day.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME"

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
At this point my H does not feel like he did anything wrong. He is showing almost no emotion what so ever right now. What was the word you guys used - INDIFFERENT - Yeah I think we are there.

The difference between you and your H is that you ENDED your affair. He hasn't. I would DEMAND that he end his affair, 15yrs. DEMAND IT. And make it very clear to him that you are under no illusions that he left the marriage for his affair. You ended your affair and offered to do everything to repair the damage, on the other hand.

Who is the OW? Does she have a facebook page? If so, I would send her parents a private message telling them that their daughter is dating a married man and ask them to use their influence to persuade her to leave your husband alone. Check out my link in my signature for a sample letter and instructions on how to do this.

Also, did you hear what Dr Harley told the lady in the radio clip about Plan B?

Exposure 101

M
M
From the new book by Dr. Harley Effective Marriage Counseling pg 94:

"Granted, there are situations when demands may be necessary in marriage. During a spouse's affair, for example, I recommend that the betrayed spouse demand there be no contact with the lover. If there is continued contact, separation or even divorce would be the logical consequence. While normally demands don't work, in this case there are no reasonable alternatives because thoughtful requests are even less likely to separate lovers."

Exposure 101

O
O
Your husband is going to find it very difficult to R. Each time you had an affair, not a ONS, you lied, manipulated, deceived your husband. You NEVER confessed, you were discovered or ratted out. This has proven to him that NOTHING you tell him can be trusted. Your guilt only manifested after you were caught. I am sorry for your kids, as I have been in their position. The kids are the innocent ones.

F
OP Offline
F
Ouchthathurt, that statement really did hurt but you are right. Do not think for one minute that I have forgotten that I got this ball of misery rolling. My H however took the ball and threw it even further. I understand that what I did is a major reason that he turned to someone else. I however will not be used as the excuse for it.

You are right, I never confessed but one thing I can say is that as soon as I was caught I immediately left my AP behind for my H and my kids. Even before I knew about this program I started the steps to my R.

I'm by no means saying pin a rose on my nose. I am still very aware of how much pain I have caused my H not once but TWICE! Despite the pain that he is causing me right now, I will still respect him and his pain. That is one thing I have learned from my own experience and MB. Revenge and blame are never the answer.

My biggest concern right now is my children. I feel that I am already in plan A, I guess since yesterday. I think if I can I will do this for a couple more weeks. I will then go with plan B. I have not decided how long yet. I'm still not ready to give up, yet. But I know I cannot hold on forever.

Working on me, may require me to let go. We shall see. One day at a time!

Last edited by fifteenyears; 01/15/12 01:50 PM.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
N
N
A 2nd A certainly complicates things. The good news is, it's still possible to R once both A's have ended.

Follow the plan to a T. It's a big job working to earn your "F" while simultaneously being a BS and fighting another A. You can do it!

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 7 of 44 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation