Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 28 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 27 28
N
N
Go get the surgery done. Here are the reasons:

A mandatory (as opposed to optional) isolation is not a terrible thing (Absence and the heart...) when some serious soul searching is needed.

Your immediate medical needs would providentially provide an excuse for him to not yield to manly outrage and make hasty decisions that he may regret later. (THIS one is the key thing we'd like to instill in his consciousness if/when he comes here.)

Your enforced convalescence will provide you ample time to correspond by written media. If you have ever written a love-letter from your heart, my friend, this would be a good time.

And, possibly less seriously, being "the best DoroM extant" is likely to require two good legs sooner than later.

D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by helpthelostdads
Doro,

I just made it through your thread and wish to share a few thoughts as a former BH.

For starters, the reason you cheated is simple. You have terrible boundaries when it comes to the opposite sex. There is no such thing as innocent flirting when you�re married. There are strict barriers that must be erected when you�re married and infidelity is something that must be guarded against at all times.

You're completely right. Regardless of the outcome, I'm going to have to learn this. I want to be a better person, someone with good character.
There is nothing about you that makes you unique or special in terms of a relationship. He can easily find what he has with you with someone else and not deal with the emotional trauma of infidelity and rebuilding trust.

I�m not telling you this to bash on you. I�m telling you this as the honest truth of what I�d say to him if he was here asking for advice. There�s nothing about you that he can�t have with someone else.

There�s no kids. You�re young and he�s young. I�d tell him to bail and count his blessings that he doesn�t have to have a custody fight with you.

So if he doesn�t forgive, then you�ve made your bed. It�s a good lesson to learn for any future husband you may have.
I get that you're not bashing. Yeah, it stings and makes me feel even more hopeless, but I understand.
Now, as far as his lack of willingness to move: I can see his mentality. School is a temporary endeavor. You go, do your thing, get your degree, then come back. Odds are he viewed marriage as the lifetime commitment it is and your schooling as a temporary burden to bear with long term payoff. I�m a former pilot and a man and can see his perspective on this.

As far as separation early in marriage goes: I know plenty of couples who dealt with early separations due to military commitments and they came through it just fine without resentment or cheating. The reason you cheated has to do more with your own poor boundaries couples with your unrealistic expectations about marriage.

Moving, even as a pilot, isn�t easy. Pilots, especially, depend a great deal on building seniority within a company, so moving to start over isn�t as easy as it sounds.

But you�re missing the forest for the trees. Your education was and is a temporary burden for your marriage if it was a committed marriage built on solid foundations and based on two people have solid boundaries.

You lack those boundaries. Build them up. Learn from this, regardless of the outcome.
That's the way we saw it- temporary burden, didn't seem that bad when we'd have the rest of our lives together. I don't think that either one of us realized how bad our foundation was. Re: the seniority, it wasn't an issue of that. He would've kept his seniority. This is totally besides the point at this time, but I understood the seniority thing, and that wasn't the issue.
Your H has every right to not forgive a second betrayal, but we�re willing to talk to him if HE desires to save your marriage.

But stop with all the stuff about how you felt neglected, etc. It doesn�t matter. He is the one betrayed and he is the one who must forgive that if he so chooses. He didn�t wish to move. Ok. Doesn�t justify what you did and it merely shows how short term your thinking is.

A good man is hard to find. It sounds to me like he�s a man who would be a good dad if he�s as willing to help others as you say.

And you overlook one big advantage of being a pilot: You�re home half the month fulltime. That�s a lot of quality time you could be spending together to make up for the time he�s out.
I do have a question, when you say you're willing to help him if HE wants to save our marriage. If he comes here wanting to save it, you aren't going to tell him to drop me b/c it's not worth it? Just curious. I think I did drop the 'neglected' bit, at least I wasn't aware that I brought it up after I said that I told him. I know nothing justifies what I did. You know, after I told him about the first time, I was very angry- very bitter, not that I thought he deserved it, but maybe subconsciously I thought that. And I/we didn't address it sufficiently. This time, it's different- it's more of a deep heartbreak. I can't even believe I'm in this place in my life.

Thanks for being upfront.

Me: WW 30
BH 29
Together 4.5 years, Married 3
No kids. One large, furry, white canine.
DDay #1 8/31/10 DDAY #2 1/29/12
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Trees = Wouldn't move to be with me while I pursued my education which is a temporary situation in the grand scheme.

Forest = I'm married to a good man who would be a good dad to my kids someday so dealing with this temporary situation is worth it for him so I will keep my boundaries up to avoid temptation while we're separated and will only hang out with and make female friends here or find other ways to entertain myself.
The forest part was how I went into it. Even though I ended up being hurt b/c I saw trees. I failed miserably.

BH 29
N
N
If he comes here wanting to save it, you aren't going to tell him to drop me b/c it's not worth it?

You OBVIOUSLY did not get enough sleep! crazy

Has ANYTHING on this site been slanted toward ENDING marriages? We are probably the most pro-marriage group of posters you will ever find.

A
A
DoroM,

FYI. Another excellent resource here is the MB radio show. It is on M-F at 1200 Central time. You can also click on the "Listen now" button and the most recent show will play. I mention this because Dr. Harley and his wife Joyce offer advice on the show. Once on the show, Dr. Harley often follows up personally with couples and send MB books. It is a tremendous opportunity to get one-on-one advice from the couple who has a great track record for recovering marriages after infidelity.

Did I read earlier the you were seeing an IC? If so, a waste of time. Most have no clue how to heal a marriage after cheating.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
A mandatory (as opposed to optional) isolation is not a terrible thing (Absence and the heart...) when some serious soul searching is needed.

Your immediate medical needs would providentially provide an excuse for him to not yield to manly outrage and make hasty decisions that he may regret later. (THIS one is the key thing we'd like to instill in his consciousness if/when he comes here.)

Your enforced convalescence will provide you ample time to correspond by written media. If you have ever written a love-letter from your heart, my friend, this would be a good time.
Thanks- I wasn't sure if it would seem like I was abandoning him again, and like I didn't really care about saving our marriage if I left the state to have surgery.

Will work on the love-letter. Would it be bad to include EP's in a letter? I don't know if he'll want to talk to me long enough to talk about that. But I know he'll at least read what I write him.

BH 29
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If he comes here wanting to save it, you aren't going to tell him to drop me b/c it's not worth it?

You OBVIOUSLY did not get enough sleep! crazy

Has ANYTHING on this site been slanted toward ENDING marriages? We are probably the most pro-marriage group of posters you will ever find.

Haha. Yes, you're right on the sleep thing. I guess I just got worried hearing the 'he should bail bit'. Even though it all makes sense. Just makes me feel quite hopeless.

BH 29
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by armymama
DoroM,

FYI. Another excellent resource here is the MB radio show. It is on M-F at 1200 Central time. You can also click on the "Listen now" button and the most recent show will play. I mention this because Dr. Harley and his wife Joyce offer advice on the show.

Did I read earlier the you were seeing an IC? If so, a waste of time. Most have no clue how to heal a marriage after cheating.

AM
I'll look into the show. Yes, to the IC. Have an appt this afternoon that I might as well go to. Had another one later this week, that I can cancel. Clearly, it didn't work last time, so I'm going to take your advice on this one.

edited to add- just filled out info to set up appt with Harley. (yikes about the cost!)

Last edited by DoroM; 01/30/12 12:03 PM.

BH 29
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In the past few days, I know I came across a thread that had a huge list of EP's in it. I've been searching and searching, but for the life of me can't find it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'm working on some right now- some are quite obvious to me, but I know if I had examples, there is going to be stuff that either A) haven't thought of or B) don't realize it's so important b/c I'm dense.

also have appt with Harley tomorrow afternoon. Still meeting with my IC this afternoon, b/c if I don't I'll lose $120, but am planning on canceling the others.

Although it is going to be rough on my psyche to not have her telling me that I'm still a wonderful person, and not challenge me...cough cough. doh2

BH 29
I
I
Originally Posted by DoroM
Although it is going to be rough on my psyche to not have her telling me that I'm still a wonderful person, and not challenge me...cough cough. doh2

rotflmao

Oh you're in the right place to be challenged!

Why not use that appointment to say that although the full responsibility for having an A is yours, you are curious as to why she did not guide you and why she encouraged you to buckle to your fears? You're paying you can say what you like. Ask for a refund. She might learn something.

As for what we would tell your BH like any BS I would tell them to leave any permanent decisions for six months as the feelings are too raw (you can't give this advice tho!)

I would tell him its his right to D you but that if he wants to make it work he has to insist on transparency and proof from you U no 'trusting' 'forgiveness' or 'privacy' to encourage a false recovery

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/30/12 02:08 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

N
N
...rough on my psyche to not have her telling me that I'm still a wonderful person, and not challenge me...

Tell her she doesn't have a leg to stand on! (Ooooops, that's you!) smile

S
S
...rough on my psyche to not have her telling me that I'm still a wonderful person, and not challenge me...

Oh no, she has one, and a crutch. wink

I would tell the I/C about MB, and DrH. Maybe she can help someone some day.

I do want to tell you something about what you said about your BH though. If he really wants to divorce you and not try, we will point him to the info to show him that he and you CAN have a mutually satisfying marriage, BUT if he decides that he still wants to divorce you, we won't stand in his way. It's every BSs right. We'll suggest him not to make a decision right away, but none of us will tell him that he doesn't have the right to divorce you, if he so wishes. Just so you are clear about that.

Now, don't run because of that. You can still learn many things from this site, and become a better person, even if you wind up divorced. Either way, the tools here will show you how to have a better new marriage, either with your BH or with someone else.

You're doing the right things here so far. Keep it up.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Scotland

Oh no, she has one, and a crutch. wink
Oh, I have TWO crutches. So really, I'm coming out ahead. (unless we're talking about walking speed, then I am very far behind)... smile
Originally Posted by Scotland
I would tell the I/C about MB, and DrH. Maybe she can help someone some day.

I do want to tell you something about what you said about your BH though. If he really wants to divorce you and not try, we will point him to the info to show him that he and you CAN have a mutually satisfying marriage, BUT if he decides that he still wants to divorce you, we won't stand in his way. It's every BSs right. We'll suggest him not to make a decision right away, but none of us will tell him that he doesn't have the right to divorce you, if he so wishes. Just so you are clear about that.

Now, don't run because of that. You can still learn many things from this site, and become a better person, even if you wind up divorced. Either way, the tools here will show you how to have a better new marriage, either with your BH or with someone else.

You're doing the right things here so far. Keep it up.
I will most likely tell her about MB, and why I probably won't be coming back.

I understand that you wouldn't stand in his way if that's what he decides he really wants, but I guess I read that one post and had a paralyzing fear that if he came here and wanted to try, someone would say, "oh, just ditch her". I realize, I'm not the greatest catch at the moment...but I know I have potential. I've been running from God for a long time. And have 'cheated' on Him, more times than I can count. So how is it that surprising I would do it in my marriage?

Oh- and I don't plan on running away anytime soon...thanks for the encouragement.

BH 29
H
H
Doro,

Since you might be facing some time away, use that time to do something extraordinary.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Visit a lawyer and have a post-nup drawn up; make sure it very clearly states that if you ever again let someone dip their finger in your honey pot, that you get NOTHING (say, no more than 25% of marital assets, no spousal support) from the marriage.

Put your MONEY where your mouth is.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Doro,

Since you might be facing some time away, use that time to do something extraordinary.

Visit a lawyer and have a post-nup drawn up; make sure it very clearly states that if you ever again let someone dip their finger in your honey pot, that you get NOTHING (say, no more than 25% of marital assets, no spousal support) from the marriage.

I would definitely be willing to do that, (am working on my EP list right now, so I'll add something of that nature). Only issue is, it probably won't mean all that much, because I have a huge earning potential on my own. I'm not sure if I offered HIM spousal support, if he'd be offended or not. Even now, when we were talking about paying off our CC bills, I had mentioned trying to get his truck fixed, and he didn't even seem to want me to pay for that. What do you think?

BH 29
N
N
I'm not sure if I offered HIM spousal support, if he'd be offended or not.

I'd leave it with you not seeking alimony or child support, but you might add a note for him to let you know if there's something else that he'd like to add.

Even now, when we were talking about paying off our CC bills, I had mentioned trying to get his truck fixed, and he didn't even seem to want me to pay for that. What do you think?

I'd drop the car repair thing for now.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

I
I
I guess I read that one post and had a paralyzing fear that if he came here and wanted to try, someone would say, "oh, just ditch her". I realize, I'm not the greatest catch at the moment...but I know I have potential. I've been running from God for a long time. And have 'cheated' on Him, more times than I can count. So how is it that surprising I would do it in my marriage?

Hey Doro, Of course we would never tell a BS to 'run' from a WS who was making every effort, paying just compensation and getting down to clean up the mess. The whole point of this site is that there is always hope where there is sincerity and action. Hope for you as an individual if nothing else.

I would hazard a guess that that was your guilt talking.

It must have been quite something to hide from all this time. Like a bad debt, it just keeps getting bigger when you hide from it.

Is the truth feeling freer yet?

What you may begin to see, is that no matter what your BHs choice, you heal your own wounds and self despair with Just Compensation actions.

You get your dignity back.

That pretty cool really isnt it?

I'm not sure if I offered HIM spousal support, if he'd be offended or not. Even now, when we were talking about paying off our CC bills, I had mentioned trying to get his truck fixed, and he didn't even seem to want me to pay for that. What do you think?

Do you know what his top ENs are Doro? You will need to start thinking of that to Plan A him.

If he has a FS need, that would do a lot for his lovebank. Most men do not - but some do.

If he doenst I would just make a big deal about leaving with nothing but the clothes on your back.

That makes it more about the principle of the matter: i.e. you dont feel you deserve your share.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

G
GJM Offline
G
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Doro,

I would definitely be willing to do that, (am working on my EP list right now, so I'll add something of that nature). Only issue is, it probably won't mean all that much, because I have a huge earning potential on my own. I'm not sure if I offered HIM spousal support, if he'd be offended or not. Even now, when we were talking about paying off our CC bills, I had mentioned trying to get his truck fixed, and he didn't even seem to want me to pay for that. What do you think?

I just want to make sure you understood "putting your money where your mouth is."

Putting your words into action was the meaning behind it. Not trying to insult your intelligence.

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Is the truth feeling freer yet?

What you may begin to see, is that no matter what your BHs choice, you heal your own wounds and self despair with Just Compensation actions.

You get your dignity back.

That pretty cool really isnt it?
Yes, the truth felt better the second I told him. I don't think my biggest fear is that he'll choose divorce (although that's my close second biggest), but that if he does, I will fall back into my old self/habits and keep running, and I really don't want that. I don't want to be 60, regretting how I'm handling my life now.

Do you know what his top ENs are Doro? You will need to start thinking of that to Plan A him.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Some of them are really hard to accomplish with a broken leg. And I will probably break the other leg trying to clean...but I'm still gonna try.
If he has a FS need, that would do a lot for his lovebank. Most men do not - but some do.

If he doenst I would just make a big deal about leaving with nothing but the clothes on your back.

That makes it more about the principle of the matter: i.e. you dont feel you deserve your share.
He doesn't make much, but can support himself- although not our rent by himself. To be honest, we don't have much. We rent our house, and don't have much saved (just finished school). If I left him all the furniture and a lot of my junk for him to deal with, he'd probably be MORE pissed at me. Other than that, there's not anything for me to take BUT my clothes.

He's going to stay here in the house when I'm gone for surgery, and I'm pretty sure when I come back, he wouldn't accept me helping pay the rent if I stayed somewhere else. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I'm leaving in a few days, and he'll be here for a few months at least.

BH 29
D
DoroM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by GJM
I just want to make sure you understood "putting your money where your mouth is."

Putting your words into action was the meaning behind it. Not trying to insult your intelligence.

I knew you meant action (that meant something as opposed to talking), but you were also talking about $$... smile

I hadn't thought of that particular EP

BH 29
Page 7 of 28 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 575 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation