Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Shortened:

I quit the day after disclosure. This was difficult because it was a job I loved, and was good at. Have had no contact for 3 months.

My understanding of the affair was that the other man met my emotional needs while my husbands disrespectful judgments was at the level of abuse. I was in the withdrawal state, and have been through out most of our marriage because I felt I had no choice but to marry him. I feel part of the reason for the affair was to make a way out of the marriage. I understand that this was horribly wrong of me.

My husband doesn't know if he wants to stay with me, I think that is understandable. We are on the last month of 3 month restoration period. We have gone through Torn Asunder and started working through the material here. I do feel like he is trying harder to hear what I am saying (I am an abstract thinker and he is concrete, it takes a bit for me to communicate what I am trying to say). I feel like our relationship is better then it ever has been. He does not feel like it is good, though it maybe getting better. I do feel like he is a good man, with good intentions. He has suffered years of rejection from me because it has always been difficult for me to find him attractive.

I know that I am not a horrible person, but capable of horrible things. I understand that I have to make a choice as to who I want to be. But as for where I go from here, I am unsure.

Last edited by msmin; 02/06/12 07:33 AM.
H
H
Originally Posted by msmin
The first year of our marriage was very difficult for me, I think I was depressed, we moved often and I felt like I gave up a whole world of friends and family for this one person who wanted me to do hard things. I tried to leave him directly after we returned home from our honeymoon and then again later that first year of marriage both times I was told that there was no back door, I married him and made a covenant before God and there was no going back on it.

Yeah. That's what marriage entails - leaving your friends and family and cleaving to your spouse. And yes, sometimes it means "doing hard things."

You, ma'am, are a freeloader;

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
A buyer is defined by their behaviors. So the way to change is to adopt buyers habits. As such:

Freeloader is unwilling to put much effort into the care of his or her partner in a romantic relationship. He or she does only what comes naturally and expects only what comes naturally. It's like a person who tries to live in a house without paying rent or doing anything to improve it unless the person is in the mood to do so.

Renter is willing to provide limited care as long as it's in his or her best interest. The romantic relationship is considered tentative, so the care is viewed as short-term. It's like a person who rents a house and is willing to stay as long as the conditions seem fair, or until he or she finds something better. The person is willing to pay reasonable rent and keep the house clean but is not willing to make repairs or improvements. It's the landlord's job to keep the place attractive enough for the renter to stay and continue paying rent.

Buyer is willing to demonstrate an extraordinary sense of care by making permanent changes in his or her own behavior and lifestyle to make the romantic relationship mutually fulfilling. Solutions to problems are long-term solutions and must work well for both partners because the romantic relationship is viewed as exclusive and permanent. It's like a person who buys a house for life with a willingness to make repairs that accomodate changing needs, painting the walls, installing new carpet, replacing the roof, and even doing some remodeling so that it can be comfortable and useful.

Renters believe Our relationship is temporary. You may be right for me today and wrong for me tomorrow.

Buyers believe We are together for life.

Renters believe Our relationship should be fair. What I get should balance what I give.

Buyers believe We both contribute whatever it takes to make our relationship successful.

Renters believe As needs change, the relationship may end if needs are difficult to meet.

Buyers believe As needs change, we will make adjustments to meet new needs.

Renters believe Criticism may prompt me to change if it's worthwhile for me to do so.

Buyers believe Criticism indicates a need for change.

Renters believe Sacrifice is reasonable as long as it's fair.

Buyers believe Sacrifice is dangerous and to be avoided.

Renters believe Short-term fixes are fine.

Buyers believe long-term solutions are necessary.

So I can tell you right out of the gate, that the problem ain't your husband, it's you.

Are you still working with your scumbag affair partner, who slept with a married woman because he thought she was an easy piece of tail?

Have you blocked all other possible avenues of contact?

Let's talk about YOUR AFFAIR, and not go over the marital history so you can blame your husband for a lack of boundaries around men.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
T
Can't work on a marriage when you are separated.

As to the OM is there NC or do you still work with the OM?

M
M
Welcome to Marriage Builders. You can get a lot more help if you cut that way down. Cut out all the superfluous information about how you met, etc, etc, and just give us 3-4 short paragraphs of the current problem. We don't need to know how you met, your childhood, anything like that. But posters don't have time to read an unncessarily long post. We can usually GET it in 3-4 paragraphs.

Thanks!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Your childhood did not make you have affairs, get real.

Have you blocked all contact with OM and pledged to be completely transparent to your H?

You will never heal this marriage living apart.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Read the edit for a summery if you would like to.

“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.” Lao Tzu
M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm sorry I didn't mean to seem like I believed my childhood made me have an affair. I do not blame my husband either, it has always been difficult for me to communicate with him, I'm sure he did not know he wasn't meeting my needs. The affair was my choice.

“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.” Lao Tzu
M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a new email address that is monitored by my husband with all email address linked to my affair partner blocked. We are currently out of the country so there is no possible way for him to call me.

M
M
Thanks for cutting that back, Msmin. Any children?

How long was the affair? Is your affair partner married and if so, does his wife know?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
No children, affair was 6 months, became physical for almost 3 months. He is not married.

Talking more with my husband today I see issues (prior to affair) that I thought were resolved by a few statements, and tears although sincere, of course do not put things to rest in him. This is obvious I guess but I just understood that. So I am trying now to write down the ways he expresses that I have hurt him, and my actions that told him "I do not love you" and work toward not repeating those things. I just understood that things I have said to him years ago stuck in him, and have killed his love for me. If I would have been told those things I think I would have been absolutely destroyed. I know I do not deserve any kindness. I know that I do not deserve to have him trust any of my words, I don't want to push him to. But I do hope one day I can be trustworthy.

I also just realized that the over all theme, or repeating problem of our marriage was that I did not want to be married. It doesn't matter why I married only that I married with out committing myself to him 100%. That is the issue, and the reason for my actions that I see have been so cruel.

Wondering where to go from here.

Last edited by msmin; 02/06/12 07:34 AM.

I
I
You have stabbed your husband in the back and instaed of clearing up the blood you whine about not wanting to be married.

What you should be doing is implementing the EPs HHH kindly linked for you.

By following the MB programme you can have a terrific marriage if you are lucky enough to get the chance after what you did.

Will your BH post here? Does his family know? Does he have support?

I am very worried about his trauma because so far you only talk about your own pain, tears and your rewrite of the marriage so as to dodge the guilt of what you have done.

That guilt is your friend. Embrace it and start making good on your vows.

Last edited by indiegirl; 02/06/12 07:26 AM.

M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Could you explain how I am whining? I do not want to be that way.

I do not understand how I can change my mindset if I don't see what is affecting my feelings. If you know a way could you please explain it to me?

We have implemented almost all of EPs and more. He chose not to tell his family yet due to other stress his parents were undergoing. He does post here, I don't think that he has enough support but I know he is trying to let more people help him. I would like him to do so.

Sorry for expressing any pain. I do not have any right to feel it.

O
O
From your very first post, there is a great possibility that you are a narcissist.

I
I
I do not understand how I can change my mindset if I don't see what is affecting my feelings. If you know a way could you please explain it to me?

I did explain it. Having the A has caused you an enormous amount of guilt.

You are trying to dodge that guilt by rewriting your marriage history - 'I never wanted to be married', which is nonsense, no one put a gun to your head at the altar.

I also acknowledge your pain. The EPs will help your pain too - as you heal your h you will feel less guilt. It cant be dodged with nonsense though.

Your BH needs the support of his family. His resentment must be huge with no support. His resentment will stall recovery and his pain must be attended to.

What is his posting name?

M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I think that could be very true. Maybe I have trouble understanding the difference between self confidence and narcissism.

M
msmin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I do feel the guilt of my affair, I know that was due to my own choice and my not allowing my emotional needs be met by my husband.

No one held a gun to my head, but I was told I would be disobeying God -whom I greatly feared, if I did not marry my husband. It is my fault for be cowardly and indecisive and I understand I have taken that all out in a horrible way on my husband.

I am not trying to rewrite our history, I know that is what you, and others have commonly experienced. I do understand that my focus on the bad points is the lens through which I have been choosing to view my marriage. I do not wish to continue in that way because it is a common point I fall back on durring hard times. I wanted only to identify it so that I can process it and put it to rest, and no longer continue with regrets about that part of my life.

I
I
Whats your h's posting name?

V
V
zaismi

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

C
C
I do feel the guilt of my affair, I know that was due to my own choice and my not allowing my emotional needs be met by my husband.

No one held a gun to my head, but I was told I would be disobeying God -whom I greatly feared, if I did not marry my husband. It is my fault for be cowardly and indecisive and I understand I have taken that all out in a horrible way on my husband.

I am not trying to rewrite our history, I know that is what you, and others have commonly experienced. I do understand that my focus on the bad points is the lens through which I have been choosing to view my marriage. I do not wish to continue in that way because it is a common point I fall back on durring hard times. I wanted only to identify it so that I can process it and put it to rest, and no longer continue with regrets about that part of my life.

You took it out on your husband, yes, but having an affair is also self-abuse. It is good you have the desire to work. It will carry you a long way in recovery.

One of the key elements for recovering however is looking past yourself in a sense. Laying aside your selfish needs and working on your H and setting in place those things that you need (Ep's for boundaries, openness and honesty, identifying and meeting en's for your H).

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation