Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 45 46
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Penni4Thoughts
That's great, Z! I find that you come here to fix your spouse and you end up fixing yourself!

Good point, Penni. I really did not expect to have to fix anything, but I am more and more aware of whether I am creating a caring environment or not.

Some moments I feel like it, others I do not - but I am aware that these are choices I am making, rather than responses to his actions. This makes me feel much more powerful and effective, and better about myself! No longer do I have to depend upon his care for me - I can give care without worrying so much about receiving it. I am less pouty, sad, depressed. (Gee, do the anti-depressants have anything to do w. that? Probably - duh)

Does this feeling last? Will I crash and burn after a while? - If anyone out there has been through this phase, I would love to hear your input.

Thanks again for the support!

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
T
T
Hi Zhamila,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, PC issues frown
I am so happy you are working with Steve! Good for you! This
is what my H and I SHOULD have done years back. I am so glad you are keeping us updated.

As soon as I have the chance I think I will write a "reintroduction" to the group and post my full story to everyone. I don't want to do any thread jacking here so I am going to try to keep my answer short and sweet!

I went into withdrawal years back after anger, unforgiveness, and unmet needs had completed drained my account. He eventually followed, and we just were two people who happened to live under the same roof.

About a year and a half ago we were struck by tragedy (I won't go into that at this time) We actually started to reconnect some then, but it did not last for more then a couple of months. We fell back into old habits and started to do our own thing again.

I started to feel concerned about him, he was really struggling, and needed help. I suggested he seek counseling but he refused. He wouldn't open up to me so I started snooping. One day I was reading his text messages and found an overly flirty conversation (his side only) on his phone.

I was FURIOUS! I was initially unsure what I wanted to do, but confronted him and let him know this was unacceptable and that he had to end all contact with this person or I was leaving.

After numerous conversations we agreed together to rebuild our marriage. He had no idea why I had withdrawn from him, but hated it, and wants to work with me now. We are still in the early stages but things are going well.

I would have never believed we would get to this point. I thought we were too far gone. You have made a great decision to work with Steve, and to come back to MB. Keep up the good work!

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks TimesAgain! It's good to hear your story & be encouraged. I am glad you are doing well, that's wonderful.

Update: It's been a rough weekend. I think I've petered out a bit. frown

Yesterday I had to protect my son from his discipline - we've gone over and over this, and my H truly believes he has a 'right' to discipline my children. I've told him I don't like it - he can be downright (verbally) abusive to my children - but he keeps doing it. I've started again noticing self-centered behaviors and attitudes in my H. They are driving me crazy! He was trying for a few days, but it's seems as if he's stopped trying. toe tap

I am withdrawn a bit today, I just don't want to be around someone who can be so unpleasant. I don't know if he realizes just how hurtful and harmful his behavior is, and how far we really have to go. We did cover some of the LB questionnaire - he had to stop because he got upset. We'll see if we can finish it tonight.

We meet with SH again in the morning - hopefully I'll be able to get motivated again. I do ok for a few days, then I just get so frustrated that I have a hard time keeping up my relational stamina.

You know...I just miss having a best friend. I'm sure some of you out there can relate: though married, I am alone. It's like living with a brick wall - unseen, unheard, unknown. It's lonely. sigh. sigh Is it really possible to turn this around? To actually ENJOY the person you're married to? Does it take a certain type of man, rare to find? Or can a man really be transformed?

Wow, listen to me whining. Blame, blame, blame. That's just where I'm at today. I'm sure I'll get straightened out tomorrow morning talking to SH. Sheesh.

faint

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
How old are the kids? In your OP, you said step-parenting was going well.

I could not imagine living with someone else's kids and being banned from disciplining them. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. You should be a united team ABOVE the children, all the children, or they will just play you against each other.

Could it be that he is exhibitng selfish behavior because you are ruling the roost rather than partnering? My H also was (imho) out of line in discipline, but with his own children (ours together). I got pretty far by asking to speak to him away from the kids while he was in a tirade. Did he expect to have no say over your children when you got married? Did he agree to that?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
K
K
I agree with CWMI on this. My oldest daughters have a strip mom and a step dad. To ban a step parent from bring able to discipline will totally undermine the strip parent from greeting respect from thekids and will cause a division.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
Originally Posted by CWMI
How old are the kids? In your OP, you said step-parenting was going well.

I could not imagine living with someone else's kids and being banned from disciplining them. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. You should be a united team ABOVE the children, all the children, or they will just play you against each other.

Could it be that he is exhibitng selfish behavior because you are ruling the roost rather than partnering? My H also was (imho) out of line in discipline, but with his own children (ours together). I got pretty far by asking to speak to him away from the kids while he was in a tirade. Did he expect to have no say over your children when you got married? Did he agree to that?

Dr. Harley in HNHN for parents and many of his radio shows specifically states a Step-parent should not discipline the children. It is the role of the main parent.

C
C
Can you share more of what he says? A quote?

From what you've written it sounds like he advocates that the step-parent is excluded completely from any decisions regarding stepchildren, and I just don't see how that works to protect the marriage. I don't have the for parents book.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Yesterday I had to protect my son from his discipline - we've gone over and over this, and my H truly believes he has a 'right' to discipline my children. I've told him I don't like it - he can be downright (verbally) abusive to my children - but he keeps doing it.

CWMI, I meant that he should not discipline the children (as Dr. H says over and over on the radio & in his book, HNHN for Parents) - as PrayingIncessantly said, too. He absolutely has the right to be part of decisions made regarding the children - we discuss these things and make these decisions together. But his form of discipline is to be demanding and verbally abusive, which is not appropriate for any parent, least of all a step-parent.

Quote (e.g. he wants to leave at a certain time, to my son): "Put that away NOW and LETS GO! I said NOW, GIVE me that phone!"

or Quote (condescending tone, in front of the children): "What consequence are you going to impose since she's not obeying" or "What are you gonna do about that!?" (with the glaring eyes)

You know, I have enough to do to teach and train my children. I don't need a constant critic echoing me or challenging me in front of them.

I never discipline his daughter. If I have an issue, I discuss it with him in private, and he deals with it. He does not do the same: he just jumps in with criticisms, demands, etc. It's ugly.

He does better/worse but this week has been worse. Overall, I'd say that our main problems are marital - but as the marital problems continue, the parenting issues are becoming more pronounced.

TEEF

Elizabeth Bowen

P
P
Z- I can say this to you because I used to do this - the following comments are DJs. If you speak to or treat your husband like this, you aren't going to make progress.

[quote=Zhamila]Yesterday I had to 'protect' my son from his discipline [quote]

[quote=Zhamila]I've started again noticing self-centered behaviors and attitudes in my H. They are driving me crazy![quote]

[quote=Zhamila]It's like living with a brick wall.[quote]

[quote=Zhamila]To actually ENJOY the person you're married to? Does it take a certain type of man, rare to find? Or can a man really be transformed?
quote]

As much as you believe you have a logical reason to feel and act the way you do, your husband feels that he has a logical reason to feel and act the way he does. He is not the enemy that you have to fix or defeat. In order to have a happy marriage, you will need to be concerned about what frustrates him and try to fix those things and know what makes him happy and try to do those things.

He is frustrated with the kids - what can you do differently to make this situation better for both of you? What you currently doing is not working, you must find something else.

P
P
By the way, I am not saying that he is doing everything perfectly but you are the one that is here so I am encouraging you to continue to clean up your side of the street.

B
B
Originally Posted by CWMI
Can you share more of what he says? A quote?

From what you've written it sounds like he advocates that the step-parent is excluded completely from any decisions regarding stepchildren, and I just don't see how that works to protect the marriage. I don't have the for parents book.

Here is a radio clip where Dr. Harley talks about the step parent with discipline. If there is not an enthusiastic agreement between the spouses.
Radio clip on blended family and discipline at the 6:00 mark

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Penni, thanks for the correction. At first I thought, "Well I'm not saying this to him, I'm just saying it to other people, so it's not a DJ" - but then I realized if I build habits of disrespectful speech, it will come out to him. To him or about him - no good. naughty

I am concerned about my growing negative feelings. Not a good sign. I need another dose of wisdom from SH. Thank goodness it's tomorrow!!

MrRollieEyes

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
Thanks, Brain, that makes sense. For Zha then, it means that her and her husband need to discuss, in private, the issues he has with her children and agree on an approriate way to handle them and let Zha be the heavy with her kids. Makes sense!

Work on that love and poja!

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So, we met with SH this morning. It was good as always.
We discussed our week, our successes and failures. We discussed the discipline with the children. It was a relief to have SH there weighing in!

I was very surprised by a few things my H said...I think our philosophies are more different and much more deeply entrenched than I ever realized, based upon his conversation with SH today. I was nearly overwhelmed with shock and discouragement. I mean, I 'knew' on some level that we aren't connecting, but today it became obvious why. shocked

So I asked SH about this. I asked if there is hope. He said the way to turn it around is to provide incentive, to show my H the benefits of the MB way. And to do this, I have to keep trying to meet his ENs and avoid LBs.

I still cannot imagine how meeting his needs even more is going to turn this around. If anything, I'm the one who came for help getting my needs met & getting burnt by LBs. But I will make my checklist for each day to meet his ENs. I will make my checklist of behaviors to replace LBs. And I will do them.

I'm trying not to get tired. I'm trying to keep doing this.

I suppose real character is formed by continuing to do the right thing, even when you're bummed. sigh

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I should give credit where credit is due today:

My H emailed me several times at work, which was really nice.
He went outside and helped me put the flowers in our urns.
He respected the discipline thing with my son and refrained from being the heavy. (after a quickly-corrected flub-up)
He was pleasant to be around this evening.
He made respectful requests.

I agreed to hiring a mole man to rid our yard of the pests - he was happy. The lawn is important to him. He said he thinks it's because we met w. SH this morning, and he said he'd better slip in all kinds of requests! funny.

So....I do see progress on his side, and that is encouraging.

Am I schizo? crazy

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
If anyone has experience or insight in turning a Renter into a Buyer, I would love to hear it! Also, would love to hear about how this "incentive" thing is supposed to work in turning the ship around. Like, how long does it take, how hard was it, what progress did you see, what worked/what didn't?

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, responses, corrections...all of it.

wink

Elizabeth Bowen

B
B
This may be a good radio clip for you to listen to. It deals with resentment and how to deal with it.

Radio Clip on Resentment

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
...I think our philosophies are more different and much more deeply entrenched than I ever realized..

Is "deeply entrenched" code for "I'm never going to change this man?

...but today it became obvious why.

You are right! It is obvious!

In the final analysis, disrespectful judgments represent an effort to force our spouses to give us what we want in marriage, but it's often cleverly disguised. Instead of making an outright demand, we present our problem as if it were really our spouse's personal shortcoming. We try to "straighten out" our spouse in an effort to get our way.

At the time we rationalize our disrespect by convincing ourselves that we're doing our spouses a big favor, to lift them from the darkness of their confusion into the light of our superior perspective. If they would only follow our advice, we tell ourselves, they could avoid many of life's pitfalls-and we would also get what we want.

A disrespectful judgment occurs whenever one spouse tries to impose a system of values and beliefs on the other. When a husband tries to force his point of view on his wife, he's just asking for trouble. When a wife assumes that her own views are right and her husband is woefully misguided -- and tells him so -- she enters a minefield.

In most cases, a disrespectful judgment is simply a sophisticated way of getting what one spouse wants from the other. But even when there are the purest motives, it's still a stupid and abusive strategy. It's stupid because it doesn't work, and it's abusive because it causes unhappiness. If we think we have the right -- even the responsibility -- to impose our view on our spouses, our efforts will almost invariably be interpreted as personally threatening, arrogant, rude, and incredibly disrespectful. That's when we make sizable withdrawals from the Love Bank.

When we try to impose our opinions on our spouses, we imply that they have poor judgment. That's disrespectful. We may not say this in so many words, but it's the clear message that they hear. If we valued their judgment more, we might question our own opinions. What if they're right, and we're wrong?

I'm not saying that you can't disagree with your spouse. But I want you to respectfully disagree. Try to understand your spouse's reasoning. Present the information that brought you to your opinion and listen to the information your spouse brings. Entertain the possibility that you might change your own mind, instead of just pointing out how wrong your spouse is.

That's how respectful persuasion works. You see, each of you brings two things into your marriage -- wisdom and foolishness. Your marriage will thrive when you blend your value systems, with each one's wisdom overriding the other's foolishness. By sharing your ideas, sorting through the pros and cons, you can create a belief system superior to what either of you had alone. But unless you approach the task with mutual respect, the process won't work and you will destroy your love for each other in the process.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3402_disrespect.html

If anything, I'm the one who came for help getting my needs met & getting burnt by LBs.

crazy

Really?

So, you feel that your husband's behavior is that of a man who is madly in love with his wife?

Because, if you were LB free, and meeting his needs expertly, he would be madly in love with you.

I mean, the guy has a lot of work to do... a ton.

But, have you considered - at all - that part of his behavior is evidence of his marital state of mind? That some of his love busters are triggered by your love busters?

I realize it's fantastic to have a blog about how horrible of a spouse your husband is, but you have to realize that your own disrespectful thoughts about your husband withdraw units from his account with you... with neither his knowledge nor his consent.

You're counting the guy out, and he hasn't even stepped in the ring!

That little glimmer you saw? That is a man who feels like there is a chance he can fall in love with his wife, and that she can actually show him some respect... and without trying to "fix" him.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 04/24/12 02:25 AM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
B
B
Another good radio clip where Dr. Harley tells the wife to stop "criticizing" and dj'ng and her husband is a renter.
Radio Clip on criticizing

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Is "deeply entrenched" code for "I'm never going to change this man?

...you have to realize that...

HHH, these are DJs: mind-reading, straightening out. I have a hard time listening to your advice when it is presented this way.

My posts stay focused on my feelings, and I try to avoid saying "he is wrong, I am right." I am a believer in the MB way - which is why I am here. My H has yet to be convinced that it is the way for him...by his own admission. This is not disrespectful, it is simply our different marriage philosophies.

When a person is married to someone with a very different philosophy of relationships, it can be discouraging to not have a 'meeting of the minds'. It also makes problem solving more difficult. I fully acknowledge that it is difficult for him as well. The relationship hasn't been working for either of us, which is why we are meeting with SH.

My hope is that my H will begin to see the benefits of MB, we can learn together and grow in love. I don't think that's disrespectful.

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 5 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation