Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Ernie - I think it is a GREAT sign that you are here, posting, asking for insight and advice. That fact alone tells me there are many reasons to hope that your marriage can become what both you and your wife want it to be.

My best advice is to get in to Harley. We can help motivate you, give you a little nudge here and there or maybe clarify certain things - but the advice on this forum is no substitute for investing the time and effort in to understanding and implementing Harley's program for building marriages that last. The big picture is too big to properly convey in little clips and sounds bites. Harley, incompletely understood and applied may actually be worse than doing nothing at all. I hear that you are busy - but you must make the time. Imagine how busy you'll be when you're wife tells you she wants a divorce.

Get and read "Fall In Love and Stay In Love" AND "LoveBusters." Fall In Love is available on CD - you can listen to it during your commute. I can't over emphasize how important it is for you to really invest in this.

In the mean time...

Tell you wife you love her and are committed to making your marriage relationship safe and amazingly satisfying for both of you. Tell her to be patient as you learn new ways of thinking and behaving, and making these new behaviors in to permanent habits.

Accept your wife's reality for what it is - her reality. What she needs is what she needs. What she says hurts her hurts her. Don't try to talk her out of her feelings and in to other, better, more rational feelings. Doing so is a major sign of disrespect and invalidation - both big love busters.

You probably don't need what she needs and may not even understand it yet. But when she requests you do something that would make her feel cared for - find a way to do it, or something similarly satisfying for her, and do it enthusiastically, consistently and sincerely over and over again, every day if needed. Yes, you probably do need a refresher - a checklist, a daily reminder, an explicit program. She will need to be super specific in her requests. She says she feels stupid asking for what she needs - but help her see she must ask. She cannot expect you to read her mind. When you read Harley you'll see how he talks about this doomed expectation. I believe it will make sense to both of you.

I'm not saying you should do anything you're not enthusiastic about. That won't last either. Have you read about the policy of joint agreement? It is an awesome and powerful concept.

Enough for now... if you are serious about making your marriage stick - time to get to work. Continuing to do what you've been doing so far is obviously not effective.

BWS

Last edited by BWS71; 10/13/12 06:31 PM.
M
M
BWS, Ernie posted last in April. His thread was bumped because his wife is posting here now. (Elaina77 on the MB101 forum.)

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
B
Thanks bliss. I didn't notice the dates. Hopefully he's still listening

M
M
No prob. I've done the same thing. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
J
Have you followed the suggestion for Undivided Attention time?
Spending more time with you and your wife doing something you both want to do?

Do you feel you have an anger management problem?

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by BWS71

I haven't been here in a while.... Should I update where this went? We actually improved a lot after this thread. I didn't come back and update y'all with the way things were going, sorry about that.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ernie78
Originally Posted by BWS71

I haven't been here in a while.... Should I update where this went? We actually improved a lot after this thread. I didn't come back and update y'all with the way things were going, sorry about that.

Are you doing those things Jedi listed in his post:

Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Have you followed the suggestion for Undivided Attention time?
Spending more time with you and your wife doing something you both want to do?

Do you feel you have an anger management problem?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation