Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by reading
My input.....

just leave your Ex H alone.

The apology won't make him feel good. It will just remind him you exist and he doesn't need that....esp. since you are married to your present H.

x4 ... you are still enjoying your ill-gotten gains. It would mean NOTHING because the perpetrator and accomplice are still doing the EXACT same behavior that started this mess.

Nothing except time has changed in this situation. The OP is only enough sorry to feel bad, not do the hard work to actually fix the cesspool she created.

P
P
Originally Posted by MTL
- I keep feeling like an apology is called for, somehow... is indeed a right thing to do, after causing pain...

Here is a suggestion.

Make a generous anonymous donation in EX-H's name to a charity you know your EX-H would support.

Send no letter to EX-H.
Never own up to anyone that you made the donation.

S
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by MTL
- I keep feeling like an apology is called for, somehow... is indeed a right thing to do, after causing pain...

Here is a suggestion.

Make a generous anonymous donation in EX-H's name to a charity you know your EX-H would support.

Send no letter to EX-H.

I like this.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
B
B
Originally Posted by Scotland
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Here is a suggestion.

Send no letter to EX-H.

I like this.
Me too! X2! Very creative! clap

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
I agree with all the other poster in that you should leave your ex alone. What you seem to be exhibiting is NOT true remorse. You aren't sorry for what you've because you are not willing to stop. You are just sorry he got hurt while you embarked on your own selfish pursuits.

IMHO, only you will benefit from something such as an apology. If you want to make things right, leave your current husband and return to your former. If that isn't an option for you, leave him alone.

Last edited by marksaysay; 05/06/12 05:55 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
G
G
I would like an apology to be entirely non-self-serving. Is this even possible?

I think an apology can never be wrong. Once you apologize it is up to him to forgive you or not. I have WW which I would hope someday she would apologize. I don�t see that happening. But I think about it.

I would add this to your apology, it�s not only what he suffered then, but what he still suffers. Who gets married to later get a divorce? I think about that. I think about how my WW has changed my life so much�in a direction I never wanted to go. Each day is a life I never wanted, asked for or agreed too.

My 2 cents.

M
M
Skidman,
I understand what you meant but an apology is only as good as the efforts that follow to rectify the wrong. In this case, she continues to be with the affair partner and has no desire to give him up. That is not righting the wrong. Words mean nothing without action!

Last edited by marksaysay; 05/07/12 10:02 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
P
P
Originally Posted by marksaysay
Skidman,
I understand what you meant but an apology is only as good as the efforts that follow to rectify the wrong. In this case, she continues to be with the affair partner and has no desire to give him up. That is not righting the wrong. Words mean nothing without action!

And now .... May I present some perspective !!!!!

I went into Skidman's wallet when he was not looking.
I relieved Skidman of 3 $20 bills.
I then went away, used the $60, and did not speak to Skid.
Now, 4-5 years later, my conscience nags me.
I want to sent an apology to Skid that I stole his $60 bucks.
I wrote an apology letter to Skid, and I mailed it.
I hope my apology makes Skid feel better.
Less violated.
Less naive.
I hope my apology makes Skid feel safer.
I hope my apology makes Skid feel less used.

But, since I already spent Skid's $60 .... I can't return Skid's money.
The money I have now is MY money.
Skid's money is long gone.
An apology should include an action to help make Skid feel whole.

A marriage broken apart by adultery is worth more than $60 ....
But, I hope you get my point !!!

I think the following is far more important than an apology ....

Making amends.
Amends = doing something in order to make up for a wrong inflicted on someone

This is why I *suggest* the original poster make a charitable donation, instead of just an apology.

The amends should not come cheaply.

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/08/12 10:15 AM.
P
P
In fact ....

Make regular charitable donations.
Monthly.
Sizable.'

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/08/12 10:21 AM.
P
P
True story .....

A few weeks after D-day, OW called me up to apologize to me.
She said: "I wish there was something I could do to make this up to you."

Pep, in her usual glib flirt fashion, replied: "There is something. I added up the amount of family money Mr Pep spent on this affair with you. I want you to pay half. I figure you own me (amount)."

.............. silence ..............

Pep: "Yeah, that's about what I thought your apology was worth."

That was our last conversation.
I'm still waiting for OW to make amends.
Apologies are OK.
Amends are awesome!

Pepperband #2623534 05/08/12 10:40 AM
P
P
Atonement:

reparation for a wrong or injury

For more on this excellent subject of making amends, rent the 2007 movie Atonement. Based on the novel by Ian McEwan.

Ruining a life (lives) is not without consequences.

Be mindful.
Adultery is a sin for a reason. It destroys people/lives/families/souls.

"Thou shalt not commit adultery."

Our bad choices have serious consequences.

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/08/12 10:42 AM.
MTL #2623537 05/08/12 10:47 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by MTL
I just want to say that I am sorry, and not demand anything, like forgiveness.

Think about POWERFUL words like amends and atonement and just compensation ..... compare with the easy-breesy; "I just want to say I am sorry.".

Weigh the value of "I just want to say" .... compare that level of effort to what it takes to offer an amends, an atonement, or just compensation.

The comment "and not demand anything" is very revealing.
A sincere apology never demands anything.
The "demand" comment smells like week old fish.

M
M
MTL - there is no dignity or sincerety in what you want to do. It is about making you feel better. Put yourself in his shoes - how would you feel getting a letter from yourself, a WW who is married to her OM? crazy

I would read it and just say 'whatever'...

Instead, please take Pep's advice in heart and think about it.

Pep, you are a wise-wise woman!

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

R
R
My two cents ... don't send the letter of apology. He has obviously moved on. I don't want an apology from my XWH who also married his affair partner. There are no words that will compensate me for the immense pain he caused. I've moved on and hearing from him about any regrets he might now have would be like digging into old wounds with a dull knife.

The circumstances are different, but years ago I had a close friend who went through the 12-step program of AA. One of those steps includes making ammends to those you've hurt. So one day my old friend called to tell me he had to make ammends to me. He apologized for specific incidents where he had caused me emotional pain. He had a laundry list of specific incidences. He went through the whole list followed by words that included "sorry" and "regret." Then he hung up. I had forgotten about a number of those incidents and found myself pretty upset over being reminded of them. In fact, I was upset for days to come and was angry that he had dumped all of his old baggage on me out of the blue. It was almost as hurtful as the first time around.

BW (me) - 57
XWH-54
2DSs- 16 and 17
Married 16 years
D-Day - 8/21/09
XWH moved out 10-9-09
Divorce Finalized 11-19-10
XWH moved 4 states away (on 11/22/10) to live with OW.
XWH married OW 1-15-11
G
G

I am divorced/remarried.

I would agree with you, if she were presently a wayward spouse having an affair. She is not, but now married her affair partner. That said, some things that are done cannot be undone. A murderer cannot bring the dead back to life but only express sorrow to those who have been hurt.

I think Marriage Builders teaches the marriage is first. While she chose to play the harlot in her last marriage, the fact is, she is now again married. She must now put that first. The guilt, shame and remorse she has express, is probably having an effect in her present marriage. An apology to her betrayed ex, will probably help her go forward with the choice she has made. The Bible also teaches, she can now never go back to her ex-husband. Deuteronomy 24:1-4

P
P
Originally Posted by Skidman
I am divorced/remarried.

I would agree with you, if she were presently a wayward spouse having an affair. She is not, but now married her affair partner. That said, some things that are done cannot be undone. A murderer cannot bring the dead back to life but only express sorrow to those who have been hurt.

I think Marriage Builders teaches the marriage is first. While she chose to play the harlot in her last marriage, the fact is, she is now again married. She must now put that first. The guilt, shame and remorse she has express, is probably having an effect in her present marriage. An apology to her betrayed ex, will probably help her go forward with the choice she has made. The Bible also teaches, she can now never go back to her ex-husband. Deuteronomy 24:1-4

After reading about your situation Skid, I understand why you are so adamant when it comes to defending a M that started as a affair. This one hits close to home, doesn't it?

Do you know what "comes before" marriage?

Integrity

S
S
Originally Posted by Skidman
I would agree with you, if she were presently a wayward spouse having an affair. She is not, but now married her affair partner.
This cannot be allowed to pass. You are either out of your mind or in an affair marriage yourself.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
I'm sorry to sound cynical but it sounds to me like this could lead to an affair with your ExH. You should not be contacting men you have had a previous relationship while you are married.

G
G
This cannot be allowed to pass. You are either out of your mind or in an affair marriage yourself.

Perhaps. However, it could be something else. Maybe it is what I said. How about you address that. Deuteronomy 24:1-4 provides:

"If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, 2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, 3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, 4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the Lord...."

So there it is. That is why. Now I understand all that has been said about atonement, etc. But given the scripture, is it allowed to return? I just don't see it that way, but please tell me why I am wrong.

G
G
MTL,

I'm going to suggest you send the apology and then never contact him again.

Frankly I wish my W would give me an apology it would make it easier for me to forgive and forget.

The most she has done, and this was just a few weeks ago, was to say that some of the "things she did" might have caused me to become jealous and distrustful.

God Bless
Gamma

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation