Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2633651 06/07/12 09:08 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I sometimes listen to the 'oldies' and '70's' music channels on my TV. This afternoon when I got home turned it on and heard a song haven't heard it in a long time - 'Light My Fire' by the Doors (1967) and it was Char's favorite from back then. That was the year we met and started to date while in college at Madison and man could she shake it up and dance to that and similar songs then. Me, well she always told me when we danced to it at parties to loosen up and just dance and that I dance like an uptight sports player which I was back then. I remember that I didn't mind hitting the dirt in a baseball game but I was scared to death to dance with her cause I didn't want to embarass myself to her and I realized there were about 200 guys who wanted to replace me. Well she always made me feel good about dating her because after the parties etc. she usually told me that I light her fire. Somehow with the grace of God I must have managed to muddle thru and win this gal.

Well forty years gone by now, but man when I heard that song wish we were that age again, but we are not - I'd have to try to swing and hold her on her walker now! But even tho we are older this is really Our song and she can still criticize my dancing, but I would not trade these memories for any amount of gold in the world. Going to be age 70 in a couple of weekes and feel in good health. I admit that later in life you tend to think about the past a little more - but for me thanks to Char it is a pleasant past.

I'm sure that every couple has a special sont or event that signifies that beginning of their relationship. For me, it is the song 'Light My Fire'.

Tom

Tom2010 #2633719 06/08/12 07:13 AM
N
N
Great story, Tom. All successful couples will have those "special" things - songs, venues, dates - which when preserved form the "reinforcing rods" that will assist getting through the shakes and shocks that normal life provides.

Can I build on your story with a humorous (what else?) anecdote? I was in a pick-up bar in NYC while in college in the early '70's, and this was playing on the juke-box. I sidled up to a probably-out-of-my-class lass, and in my best lounge-lizard manner, said, "Gorgeous, let me light YOUR fire!". Without blinking she said, "Ahhh, your match ain't got no sulpher!", and turned back to her posse.

Even today, I can hear the guffaws from all in attendance!

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey NG,

What a week - bike is down so have been hoofing it for most of this week. Probably walked about 20 miles or so to get to where I want to get to - tired but a good tired. Still have enough energy to make macaroni beef saute tonight tho!

I can sort of relate to your story about meeting someone and getting shot down. Has happened to me. Altho I never attempted to meet someone in a bar - I always felt I was out of my territory. Met the girls I dated in a library, classroom, thru a mutual friend - and Char - well, I was at a seminar in a hotel conference room on State st. in Madison - quite frankly 45 years ago this month - saw these two gals walking down the street and for some reason (well - Char's legs) ran out and I don't exactly recall what I blubbered to her at first but something like could I take you out tonight and my god she told me where she was staying - the same apt. building I was at. THe friend she was with as I recall was blond but I don't even think I looked at her during the time I was blubbering to Char. I do recall that both of them seemed shocked - like a B29 bomber coming out of the clouds to do a precise hit on a target! That's how we met. NG, fate and life are so fragile - if I had not been looking out the wondow at that momment and not rushed out to the street, well her life and mine would be totally different.

It is sort of distressing reading about all the BH's who come here and do not seem to have the fight and the fire to battle for their marriages, even after some time and neglect has occured. An OM who would even try to take Char away from me or sway her mind - well he'd be wondering where the B29 came from! Even St. Marital would approve! Take care NG.

Tom

Tom2010 #2633965 06/08/12 08:05 PM
B
B
I know I'm younger but I love the doors and that song.

This let down, for NG, must have been before all of NG's minions? laugh

Tom,
With all the BSs out there, that is why we need all the help from everyone. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,033 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation