Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2631600 06/01/12 02:32 PM
K
OP Offline
K
After reading How Dr. Harley Learned to Save Marriages, some statistics he cites caught my attention:

It was 1960, and I was about to witness something that few expected - the beginning of what may turn out to be the end of the traditional nuclear family in America. The evidence for such a disaster accumulated over the next 20 years. The divorce rate would climb from about 15% to over 50%, and the percentage of single adults would go from 6.5% to 20%. While the rate of divorce finally stabilized at about 50% in 1980, the percentage of single adults would continue to climb right up to the present (currently about 30% and climbing), because fewer and fewer would be willing to commit themselves to one partner for life.
Why did the divorce rate climb so much from 1960 to 1980? What happened in our society that led to such a sudden increase?

I found an interesting on-line article that blames no-fault divorce for the rise, The Evolution of Divorce.

I'm wondering if anyone else knows about this topic and other possible reasons why divorce rates soared in the 60's and 70's.

In the above article by Dr. Harley, he describes his attempt to understand why marriages were failing and his discovery in 1975 that restoring love was the key ingredient to saving marriages. I wonder about the quality of marriages before 1960 vs. after 1980. Were people in marriages before 1960 more in love (i.e. restoring love was not as much of a problem back then)? Or were they just as "out-of-love" as people in marriages after 1980 but more likely to stay married for some some reason, even if unhappy.

I'm curious to know what things were like back then and what happened to make divorce so prevalent.

C
C
Women began earning their own money, and being divorced was no longer socially taboo.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
KL, you might want to get Dr. Harley's book Defending Traditional Marriage. It's got some information along those lines.

I remember some of Dr. Harley's radio broadcasts from 2006 cover this. Probably some more recent ones, too, but I remember specifically hearing about them when I started listening through his archives, which start in 2006.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Society Changes ...

Lack of God
Entitlement
Selfishness
Self Deception
Lack of Ambition
Lack of Hard Work
Lack of Father Figures from 1970-2000+
Birth Control
Women Entering Workforce
Lack of Discipline
Move towards emotions versus logic
Move away from self accountability
Move away from families
Self deception that grass is greener on the other side
Lack of coping skills
Poorly learned coping skills
Poorly learned behaviors
Lack of Mentors
Lack of Church Mentors
Deterioration of Church
End of Times

You name it ... it would be to blame

Bottom line is and really the only one I believe ... if you want it and it is important to you ... you would make it happen.

I am 100% certain and an absolute believer Dr. Harley's approach to rebuilding romantic love is the best way to sustain a marriage for life.

Last edited by PrayIncessantly; 06/01/12 06:36 PM.
B
B
Here's a good radio clip on the statistics of divorce.
Radio clip on statistics of Divorce

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
No fault divorce caused a sharp rise in each state as it was made a reason in those states. No fault really sucks and is ridiculous... what other legally binding contract (let alone one before God?) can you walk away from with no consequences hurting the other party? Someone buying something from a store has more recourse than many spouses in divorce when it comes to contractual agreements in our society. It's foolish.

I am BW to WH of 9 years, 11 together
5 kids- 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 years old
OW is in another state, WH moved to be with her and her 3 kids
D-day of EA/PA Jan 11, Fully Disclosed July 2011
Plan B September 11 against my will when WH filed Divorce
OW dumped WH in May, WH wants divorce final but to work on things
Divorce Settlement Facilitation Completed, divorce final second week of July
O
O
Originally Posted by keeplearning
In the above article by Dr. Harley, he describes his attempt to understand why marriages were failing and his discovery in 1975 that restoring love was the key ingredient to saving marriages. I wonder about the quality of marriages before 1960 vs. after 1980. Were people in marriages before 1960 more in love (i.e. restoring love was not as much of a problem back then)? Or were they just as "out-of-love" as people in marriages after 1980 but more likely to stay married for some some reason, even if unhappy.
KL,
I have the priviledge of working daily with folks who are in their 60's and up. In their own environment - their homes. I run into many many couples who have been married for 50 years and up. Some of them (not all) just eminate the "in love" feeling that is unmistakable. Many of these tell me about meeting in high school (never dated anyone else), but not all are like that.

I've surmised a few things from these conversations; I always ask about how people met as it's often an ice-breaker. Times were different in the 30's and 40's and 50's.

Social Activities: Many many of these couples loved to dance. They danced at dance halls. They didn't get smashed at a club and "hook up" like people do nowadays. They had respect for each other. I also think there was much more of a community back then. Because of this, there was also a tendency to protect "your own", IE there were serious physical consequences (at the hands of a brother or friend) for mistreating a girl. There was a general sense of heirarchy and this started at the dating stage- I have to imagine it was ingrained and carried over into marriage.

Media: was not promoting cheating. Everywhere you turn these days there is advocation for blatant adultery. There are no boundaries on t.v.; in the 50's and even 60's this was not the case in my understanding. It's "Leave it to Beaver" vs. "Three's Company" which came out in the 70's. Even beer commercials in their own subtle way promote infidelity (and definitely lack of boundaries) in my view.

I think the rise in adultery, first by men (in conjunction with women being more self-sufficient and being able to say "screw you, I'm outta here"), and then by women (I've had professionals tell me a big jump in the last couple of decades) has had it's affect. Let's face it: infidelity is very good at putting the finishing touches on a weak relationship. And people these days have weak relationships, there are so many pressures and distractions, we hardly focus on each other anymore. We don't have good mentoring as this issue has surfaced in the 70's and taken root in our generation.

Divorce Lawyers: who make it sound easy and unfortunatly even unscrupulous lawyers have to eat.

Stigma of Divorce: which was real, to my understanding. It just wasn't something this generation did. They made committments and stuck with them. period. It's the Greatest Generation - they are the ones who built the country through Depression, WWI and WWII; they saw hardship this generation can only read about. Work was not a stranger and they didn't shy away from a challenge. So when marital problems surfaced, they wouldn't dream of just bailing. And remember with families closer they could get the support they needed.

It IS a double edged sword though -- I meet some women who talk about having stayed in miserable relationships with abusive drunks. I witness couples who are constantly at each other and appear to have been that way for many years; not happy about it either, it's sad sometimes.

There definitely is something special about a couple who have been each other's only mate for 60some years and are as in love as the day they met. You just know they had some hard times, but they don't really focus on that. You see a mutual respect and adoration that seems to have remained constant even through tough circumstances. They seemed to get the big picture: life is too short to not stick it out and get back to the good times. This generations seems to miss the point: life is too short to be unhappy, even for 5 minutes.

opt

Last edited by optimism; 06/09/12 07:17 AM. Reason: add quotes- I always forget that :)

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
J
J
Very nice, Optimism Makes me sad though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 960 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation