Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2635906 06/15/12 12:48 PM
T
tmmx Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My first post on this board was dated 6/28/2001, and it brings back memories. I listed my kids ages as 5, 8, and almost 10. Lots of things happened since then, but the kids are all successful. We have a shared custody plan where I have 5/14 overnights.

Over this past week, the oldest, who is now almost 21, says he is "done" with his Mom and that this has been brewing since middle school. He is a full-time college student home for the summer, but now is moving out of his Mom's house. The other two are sad about his decision. I think he's making a mistake. Not necessarily about moving out and becoming more independent, but about throwing away the relationship with his Mom.

He says he thought that his Mom didn't really like him growing up. There may be some truth in this, but isn't that the case at times with everyone? I'm trying to reason with him, but so far, not getting anywhere.

tmmx #2635907 06/15/12 12:51 PM
M
M
tmmx, without knowing the history of your posts, it's hard to comment one way or another on your son's decision. At 21, he's certainly old enough to make his son's decisions.

Just to be clear: you are the boy's father? (You might be his mother and speaking of yourself in the third person; I can't tell.) And you are divorced? Did one of you have an affair?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2635908 06/15/12 12:59 PM
M
M
Okay, digging through a few of your old posts, it seems to me that your wife had an affair, and that it eventually led to the end of your marriage.

That being the case, I wish your son had been living with you all this time, not his mother, but of course that may not have been possible. And it's very typical for those who have an affair to find that their children don't want to have anything to do with them when they grow up. I haven't seen my wayward mother in twenty years. It's safer for me that way!

If your wife had an affair, then your son's perspective is probably valid: waywards typically care only for themselves, even to the detriment of their children.

One sad but common thing when a wife has an affair is for the children to blame the father. So I would say your son has a good head on his shoulders if it's her he's moving out on, not you.

If you are divorced from her, I wouldn't waste any breath trying to redeem her in your son's eyes. That's her job to do, not yours.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
tmmx #2635917 06/15/12 01:46 PM
M
M
tmmx, did your wife alienate your son with her affair? Why did your marriage end? If it was over an affair, their relationship may be ruined. If I were you, I would listen to the radio show from yesterday because this issue is addressed. Affairs often destroy relationships with children.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I think what you have described happens many times in divorce situations. I know my four kids love their father....but not the same way they love me. And they choose to live with me, spend holidays here and phone constantly. They phone my ex only when they need something. Kind of sad.

At 21, he is old enough to make his own decisions. He may change his mind later, but for now he may need a break. In any case, it is her problem. You just need to be there for you kids.

Formerly: Miserynmissouri
Military Marriage of 21 years..together 26.
Four beautiful children: 28,26,21,19 ExH 58..numerous affairs, alcoholic
Married "soulmate" 20 years younger; Divorced 10 years, still trying to understand and Move ON!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation